PDA

View Full Version : Is this swans team the most fun team to watch since 1996?

bloodsbigot
10th August 2016, 02:25 AM
I was reading a comment on bigfooty somewhere about this swans team having more cult heroes than usual.

It occured to me that I'm genuinely giddy and excited to watch this team as much as the late 1990s swans team when I was only 12 years old (I was thoroughly entertained during the Lockett era, with players like Lewis, Luff, Kelly and Roos). Could it be due to an unusual amount of unique players we have in our lineup? Of course we won the Grand Finals with 2005 and 2012, and I love our players from this era, but for some reason I just seem to be enjoying watching our team more than usual. We had so many middle of the road players/workhorses, like Brad Crouch, Ben Matthews, Nic Fosdike, Marty Mattner etc. But I'm just... excited... by players like Mills, Heeney, Papley, Rampe, Allir, Parker, Hannebery, Buddy, Tippett, etc. Particularly the younger, up and coming players.

The crowds and membership are certainly up.

Are we on the verge of another golden era?

Or is it just me?

Sorry for the rant, just on a high after watching Port replay. Wanted to share some happiness.

Maltopia
10th August 2016, 03:26 AM
The unexpected progress and success this year have been marvelous.

Many of use had concerns about what was to happen with 100-300+ gamers leaving us after many years service in Malcieski, Shaw, Goodes, Pike, and now Ted. Then to have all these younger players who look like future 100, 150, 200+ game players and a genuine squad of around 30 players that are elite to being good enough to be in the bottom six of any other club in the competition except GWS gives us such great hopes and expectations for this and the next five years!

And then we have the excitement machines and superb athletes in Buddy, Heeney, Parker, Rohan, Mills and even Rampe.

I think the only thing that would make our team even more exciting is a Darcy Moore/Joe Daniher type player who can take several a huge mark over the top of their opponent or over a big pack on a regular basis up forward. Heeney and Parker do that now and then, but not 3-5 times every few matches like a Moore or Daniher (forget his kicking accuracy for now hehe) who bring the house down with those huge grabs before they even take that shot at goal.

However, our team is pretty amazing as it is and we are unlikely to get a Moore/Daniher type with our lower draft and salary cap position so I'm just dreaming for an unlikely cherry on top of an already very sweet pie :)

Beerman
10th August 2016, 07:11 AM
I think footy generally is as good to watch as it has been for a while. The game has opened up a bit and teams (including the swans) are scoring more.

I'm certainly enjoying football at the moment.

KTigers
10th August 2016, 07:53 AM
I think a lot of it comes to hair. Dane, Tippo, Heeney, Rohan, JPK, all doing great things on field, all not knowing what a comb is.
Going forward perhaps our draft strategy and trading could be based on a players lack of familiarity with a barber. It's been working pretty well
for GWS. Could be a uniquely Sydney thing.

goswannies
10th August 2016, 07:54 AM
We had so many middle of the road players/workhorses, like Brad Crouch, Ben Matthews, Nic Fosdike, Marty Mattner etc. But I'm just... excited... by players like Mills, Heeney, Papley, Rampe, Allir, Parker, Hannebery, Buddy, Tippett, etc. Particularly the younger, up and coming players.

Brad plays for the Crows. Jared Crouch is ours

vleung1208
10th August 2016, 09:47 AM
It's been a joy to watch this year. They've competed in every game and when you think of the 5 losses - 4 of them were winnable. The three close games decided by 1 kick V Richmond, Dogs and Hawks. The game V Crows there was a final goal in the dying minute. The only biggish loss was against GWS by 32 points. To see how far the young guys have come has been awesome!

bloodsbigot
10th August 2016, 10:13 AM
Brad plays for the Crows. Jared Crouch is ours

Such a dull/workhorse player didn't even remember his first name.

Beerman
10th August 2016, 10:17 AM
I think a lot of it comes to hair. Dane, Tippo, Heeney, Rohan, JPK, all doing great things on field, all not knowing what a comb is.
Going forward perhaps our draft strategy and trading could be based on a players lack of familiarity with a barber. It's been working pretty well

Earlier this season Ben McGlynn was in career best form in this regard, although with a very different approach.

aardvark
10th August 2016, 10:28 AM

Although Sammy N has improved out of sight since his haircut!

Plugger46
10th August 2016, 10:56 AM
I liked the 2014 side. Buddy was flying. It's just a shame most of them didn't front on the big day.

O'Reilly Boy
10th August 2016, 11:05 AM

A bit harsh. Jared was one of my favourites back in the day. His clashes with Acker were fantastic. Total team player who sacrificed his game to play tight and hard. A good kick for goal when he got his chances, and always one of the first picked, I'm sure.

dejavoodoo44
10th August 2016, 11:19 AM
A bit harsh. Jared was one of my favourites back in the day. His clashes with Acker were fantastic. Total team player who sacrificed his game to play tight and hard. A good kick for goal when he got his chances, and always one of the first picked, I'm sure.
Yes, I used to imagine his tagging roles on Akermamis starting a couple of days beforehand: following him to the dinner table, knocking the cutlery out of his hands.

mcs
10th August 2016, 11:37 AM

That is an incredibly harsh judgement on Jared Crouch in my opinion. He was purely representative of what made that team of the mid 'noughties' such a wonderful team in its own way. As hard as nails, and one of the best taggers going around - I'm sure Aker still wakes up with a cold sweat from time to time after dreaming about the nightmares that Crouch gave him on the football field over the years. It was on the basis of players like him - who maximised the returns on their footy talent (much in the same way as LRT) that made those teams so wonderful.

Go Swannies
10th August 2016, 11:44 AM

Don't forget that Jared was the fastest runner in the AFL at the time. Watching him sprint away with the ball was just as rewarding as watching Aker lose his cool when he was completely tagged out of the game.

longmile
10th August 2016, 12:01 PM

Fair enough with Matthews, maybe Kirk, Bolton and Fosdike but Crouch was a genuinely exciting player with ball in hand. He'd often dash off with the ball.

goswannies
10th August 2016, 12:15 PM
Don't forget that Jared was the fastest runner in the AFL at the time. Watching him sprint away with the ball was just as rewarding as watching Aker lose his cool when he was completely tagged out of the game.

Don't forget, he holds the record for the most games from debut

AnnieH
10th August 2016, 12:38 PM

You're not serious?
Crouchy was one of our toughest players.
Couldn't have asked more of him in any game that he played.

O'Reilly Boy
10th August 2016, 12:50 PM
You're not serious?
Crouchy was one of our toughest players.
Couldn't have asked more of him in any game that he played.

loving the Jared love. Go number 28.

Go Swannies
10th August 2016, 04:01 PM
Don't forget, he holds the record for the most games from debut

Red wine makes for strong bones, obviously.

Ludwig
10th August 2016, 05:05 PM
One of the things that make the Swans such an enjoyable club to barrack for is the way they put a list together and the many pleasant surprises we have with players that had little expectation when drafted.

I previously commented that all 4 of our ND picks from 2013 had played games this year and looked to be genuine AFL talent: Jones, Hewett, Nankervis and Aliir. I think Nankervis is on track to become a good AFL ruckman, whether with us or another club. The other 3 have already made their claims to long term careers in the senior side.

Another interesting fact is that all 6 of our 2012 rookie picks are still with us. They are: Jake Lloyd, Xavier Richards, Dane Rampe, Dan Robinson, Brandon Jack and Sam Naismith. Rampe would be unlucky not to be AA this year. I rate him the second best defender in the league, after Rance. It's still quite possible that all 6 will go on to have substantial AFL careers, which is remarkable when considering all started 4 years ago as rookies. I've never heard of such a success rate for so many rookies chosen in a single year. 6 out of 6 is truly unbelievable.

That's why we surprise all those Melbourne pundits with the continuity of our performances over a span of many years. It's not the COLA folks!

AnnieH
10th August 2016, 05:19 PM
One of the things that make the Swans such an enjoyable club to barrack for is the way they put a list together and the many pleasant surprises we have with players that had little expectation when drafted.

I previously commented that all 4 of our ND picks from 2013 had played games this year and looked to be genuine AFL talent: Jones, Hewett, Nankervis and Aliir. I think Nankervis is on track to become a good AFL ruckman, whether with us or another club. The other 3 have already made their claims to long term careers in the senior side.

Another interesting fact is that all 6 of our 2012 rookie picks are still with us. They are: Jake Lloyd, Xavier Richards, Dane Rampe, Dan Robinson, Brandon Jack and Sam Naismith. Rampe would be unlucky not to be AA this year. I rate him the second best defender in the league, after Rance. It's still quite possible that all 6 will go on to have substantial AFL careers, which is remarkable when considering all started 4 years ago as rookies. I've never heard of such a success rate for so many rookies chosen in a single year. 6 out of 6 is truly unbelievable.

That's why we surprise all those Melbourne pundits with the continuity of our performances over a span of many years. It's not the COLA folks!

It's Kinnear Beetson is what it is.
I've said for years if some other team out there wants the success that we've had in the past 16 years, they'd be drafting Kinnear.
He's a genius. He sees things that no one else sees.

Go Swannies
10th August 2016, 05:53 PM
At the start of the season I wrote at length about how last year soured me and I thought of giving footy away. But the kids' enthusiasm had won me over and I was enjoying watching even if, as the season went one, they tired and it went nowhere. Since then we've had more kids come onto the team and we've played better and better.

Now finals are approaching and we'll be there - I didn't expect that. And I still think we're too young to win the big one.

But this team has surprised me so many times that I'm ready for one more big surprise - and if it doesn't happen thanks for the ride Swannies 2016.

aguy
10th August 2016, 06:37 PM
Maltopia

I think Sam Reid is actually the Daniher type that you're thinking of. He can take some amazing marks crashing a pack from the side and I think we tend to forget that a bit due to him having been played as swing man and defence in the recent years. Next year is a big year for him

grarmy
10th August 2016, 08:25 PM
Damn right! And a great clubman.

i'm-uninformed2
13th August 2016, 10:57 AM
Most enjoyable year since 2003 in some ways.

A fresh batch of kids who have surprised on the upside (even Mills), we've gone above expectations and it's been a fun ride to watch.

I still have a view next year is more likely a premiership year as it is a very young side to take through hard finals for the first time, but who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

And PS: go watch Crouch's contest against four WC players in the first quarter of the 2005 GF in the lead up to Schneiders goal if you doubt his value as a player. Vivid to this day.

bloodsbigot
13th August 2016, 11:19 AM
Most enjoyable year since 2003 in some ways.

A fresh batch of kids who have surprised on the upside (even Mills), we've gone above expectations and it's been a fun ride to watch.

I still have a view next year is more likely a premiership year as it is a very young side to take through hard finals for the first time, but who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

And PS: go watch Crouch's contest against four WC players in the first quarter of the 2005 GF in the lead up to Schneiders goal if you doubt his value as a player. Vivid to this day.

Geez. I think what I said has been overblown. Good player, but a boring one to watch with no personality is all I'm saying. Gave great service to our club. And yes I remember the contest you're talking about in the 1st quarter. It was good.

The best thing I remember from him was tagging Akermanis and making him have a cry. I remember once Akermanis got so pissed off he slapped Crouch on the back. Haha.

KTigers
13th August 2016, 11:48 AM
1996 is pretty much untoppable. We had started coming good in 1995, when we won eight games (up from four in 1994 & one in 1993) with
the arrival of Plugger, Roos & Maxfield. But 16 1/2 wins in the H & A, after losing the first two rounds, who would have predicted that.
We went on a tear mid season and won eight or nine straight by big margins. It was very exciting. These days 15 or 16 wins is our starting position, and it never crosses my mind we won't make the finals. This year has been good, though I wish we could string more than three wins together at a time. Everyone has said it a million times before, but being in second spot now with so many inexperienced players is quite an achievement. I just want our guys to be really switched for about eighteen hours in total between now and Oct 1. Then we just need
a bit of luck.

Nico
13th August 2016, 12:08 PM
1996 is pretty much untoppable. We had started coming good in 1995, when we won eight games (up from four in 1994 & one in 1993) with
the arrival of Plugger, Roos & Maxfield. But 16 1/2 wins in the H & A, after losing the first two rounds, who would have predicted that.
We went on a tear mid season and won eight or nine straight by big margins. It was very exciting. These days 15 or 16 wins is our starting position, and it never crosses my mind we won't make the finals. This year has been good, though I wish we could string more than three wins together at a time. Everyone has said it a million times before, but being in second spot now with so many inexperienced players is quite an achievement. I just want our guys to be really switched for about eighteen hours in total between now and Oct 1. Then we just need
a bit of luck.

Why do people forget Derek Kickett. He was an absolute gun playing next to Plugger.

KTigers
13th August 2016, 12:40 PM
I think Derek came in 94. He played every game for Essendon in 93, but was dropped by Sheedy for the Grand Final. Harsh.
So many great left footers for us back then. Maxfield, Kickett, Lewis, Bayes.....

Why do people forget Derek Kickett. He was an absolute gun playing next to Plugger.

barry
13th August 2016, 03:01 PM
2014 was a great year right up until the last game.

bloodsbigot
13th August 2016, 03:51 PM
I think Derek came in 94. He played every game for Essendon in 93, but was dropped by Sheedy for the Grand Final. Harsh.
So many great left footers for us back then. Maxfield, Kickett, Lewis, Bayes.....

Didn't Derek come in 1995? Can't recall seeing him in 1994?