PDA

View Full Version : And so the culling begins/continues..

ScottH
29th August 2016, 03:18 PM
Leppitsch gone.

AFL season 2016: Brisbane Lions axe coach Justin Leppitsch (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-brisbane-lions-sack-coach-justin-leppitsch-20160829-gr3iyq.html)

Meg
29th August 2016, 03:38 PM
Leppitsch gone.

AFL season 2016: Brisbane Lions axe coach Justin Leppitsch (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-brisbane-lions-sack-coach-justin-leppitsch-20160829-gr3iyq.html)

Had to happen. A man out-of-his-depth.

ScottH
29th August 2016, 03:52 PM
Had to happen. A man out-of-his-depth.

Yep.
Time for them to look beyond former champions of there own team.
Has worked out well for them. Probably would have been better to stick with Harvey.

Mel_C
29th August 2016, 03:53 PM
Yeah not surprised about this. He couldn't continue the way things were going. It really is a concern how bad football is in QLD. We are so fortunate to have had continued success since 1996 and to be part of such a well run club.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Danzar
29th August 2016, 06:11 PM
Yep.
Time for them to look beyond former champions of there own team.
Has worked out well for them. Probably would have been better to stick with Harvey.

I think you mean "Hasn't"? :wink:

Hasn't worked for any team at least in the past 20 years or so. Voss, Hird and Buckley are not in the calibre of Longmire, who was patient enough to serve his apprenticeship and learn before moving into head coach.

goswannies
29th August 2016, 07:48 PM
Just saw on the news the odds for Brisbane's next coach.

Candidates included Stewie Dew, Roosey & ...Warwick Capper is paying $41?? LoL ????

linko
29th August 2016, 07:50 PM
Stewie will be the red hot favourite I would have thought, although I wouldn't mind a sneaky bet on sando or rats

goswannies
29th August 2016, 08:14 PM
Stewie will be the red hot favourite I would have thought, although I wouldn't mind a sneaky bet on sando or rats

From memory, Rats was favourite

crackedactor
29th August 2016, 08:53 PM

Candidates included Stewie Dew, Roosey & ...Warwick Capper is paying $41?? LoL ??

Personally speaking, what Rhyce Shaw has done to the NEAFL has been amazing, not just because of their success, but how NEAFL players have move up to the seniors and adjust to the
tempo so well (Apart from Hiscox). But maybe we will keep that one a secret.

- - - Updated - - -

Candidates included Stewie Dew, Roosey & ...Warwick Capper is paying $41?? LoL ????

Personally speaking, what Rhyce Shaw has done to the NEAFL has been amazing, not just because of their success, but how NEAFL players have move up to the seniors and adjust to the
tempo so well (Apart from Hiscox). But maybe we will keep that one a secret.

dimelb
29th August 2016, 09:20 PM
I don't think we need to worry about losing Rhyce. I'm sure he would understand that being head coach of an AFL team requires a great deal more than football knowledge. It's good for him to have a master of the art to learn from for a few seasons more.

Stewy D seems to me a different proposition. I think he is probably the senior assistant coach in terms of years with the Swans, and I suspect that if he is to continue here there will need to be a move like the one Roos set up with Horse after he missed out on getting St Kilda. But if he does get the gig at Brisbane I'd be pleased for him and hope he can restore their fortunes - though not to the point where they beat us!

barry
29th August 2016, 09:55 PM
If #lolnorf lose badly, brad* scott is my smokey.

* norf coach.

ScottH
29th August 2016, 09:59 PM
I think you mean "Hasn't"? :wink:

Hasn't worked for any team at least in the past 20 years or so. Voss, Hird and Buckley are not in the calibre of Longmire, who was patient enough to serve his apprenticeship and learn before moving into head coach.
Whoops. Yep.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

mattybloods
29th August 2016, 10:20 PM
After booting Voss then replacing him with the inexperienced Leppa they shouldn't get another first time senior coach. Probably someone like Brett Ratten

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctor
29th August 2016, 11:10 PM
My intel was that it's Ratten they're after but he is unlikely to want to work with Greg Swann. Hopefully they sort it out as I'd rather they diluted the Hawthorn coaching talent than ours!

aguy
29th August 2016, 11:14 PM
I think Bomber Thompson would be an interesting and good person for the job but I don't think he would be interested in it

Beerman
30th August 2016, 12:50 AM

Candidates included Stewie Dew, Roosey & ...Warwick Capper is paying $41?? LoL ??

I want to say those odds on Capper are amazingly short, but this is Brisbane we're talking about. It's not beyond them to complete their self destruction by appointing him.

I still think it was a big mistake to get rid of Voss - I had a lot of respect for him and after a disastrous first year, he had the team going in the right direction. I suspect his sacking had a big effect on the culture and morale of the playing group.

CureTheSane
30th August 2016, 01:17 AM
I'd suggest that they'll put in place a coach who is looking for a bit of a fast track into the senior coach role.
You'd think that Dew may stick where he is given that he seems to be looking for the longer and more secure way in, and taking on this job is a pretty reasonable risk.

RogueSwan
30th August 2016, 09:34 AM
Mark Williams.

grarmy
30th August 2016, 09:43 AM
A joke right? His efforts at Richmond meriting a job beyond meter reading?

mattybloods
30th August 2016, 09:54 AM
Mark Williams.

I heard he's looking for a job!

Triple B
30th August 2016, 09:56 AM
I still think it was a big mistake to get rid of Voss - I had a lot of respect for him and after a disastrous first year, he had the team going in the right direction. I suspect his sacking had a big effect on the culture and morale of the playing group.

Magnificent player, but there must be doubts on his abilities as a coach. Port have fallen off a cliff since he went there as an assistant....

neilfws
30th August 2016, 03:40 PM
Dew is reportedly out of the running:

Dew won't join Brisbane Lions coaching race - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-30/stuart-dew-wont-be-a-candidate-for-brisbane-lions-job)

And I've read reports that Ratten would not be keen to relocate for various reasons.

Not sure who that leaves as genuine contenders. Jonathan Brown stated that senior AFL level experience was not a necessity (citing Don Pyke), but substantial coaching experience at a high level is required.

KTigers
30th August 2016, 04:05 PM
I always wondered what precisely was wrong with Guy McKenna at GCS? They were actually tracking along OK (as far as number of wins go) under him.
Did he take juniors parking space or something?

31st August 2016, 01:07 AM
I see former Swan, Matthew Dick, was circumcised from Carlton's list today

O'Reilly Boy
31st August 2016, 11:28 AM
I see former Swan, Matthew Dick, was circumcised from Carlton's list today

That must be hard for him.