PDA

View Full Version : 3 match finals series

barry
19th September 2016, 09:46 AM
Anyone going to make it to all sydney finals this year ?.

GWS v Dogs looks like a running footy festival.

kilroyII
19th September 2016, 10:09 AM
huh?

Zlatorog
19th September 2016, 10:16 AM
Unless the Swans win on Friday, I'm not planning to give the AFL more of my money.

kilroyII
19th September 2016, 10:32 AM
Yeah if the swans lose this friday thats it season ends, not even going to watch the GF nor give a @@@@ about anything AFL related.

Plus if uts a GWS vs Cats or Dogs vs Cats GF it will be the most annoying cliche riddled week to have grace the GF. Just having to put up with Luke "SoBrave" beveridge for another week is grating. Hope he falls off his skateboard this week.

liz
19th September 2016, 10:39 AM

I plan to make it to all four Sydney finals this year (if we get further than this week), and I imagine plenty of others will too.

Not sure of the relevance of GWS.

AnnieH
19th September 2016, 10:42 AM
Saving my trip to Melbourne for the big one the week after.
OMG I'm so nervous.

mcs
19th September 2016, 11:38 AM
Sadly have family arrangements that have been in place for months now that will mean I can't be at the 'G on Friday night, but will be there for the big dance the following week should we get up over Geelong.

As for the plastics..... I couldn't care less if its a 'running footy' festival or whatever one wants to describe it, no way I'd drive 3 hours up the highway to watch that mob play, unless they are playing the Swans.

KTigers
19th September 2016, 11:40 AM
Sure. We're going. Should be a ferocious game of footy. Part of me wants to see an all Sydney GF, but I think I'd rather we played the Dogs than GWS. I think the Dogs may be spent by the time they may make it to the GF if they do. No one can keep up playing the way they've been playing for four weeks in a row. Unfortunately I can't talk anyone in the family into flying down to Melbourne on Friday arvo for the Geelong game as we already have plane tix and hotels for the GF weekend and two consecutive trips to Melbourne for footy is too much for them.
Soft.

barry
19th September 2016, 12:18 PM
Sure. We're going. Should be a ferocious game of footy. Part of me wants to see an all Sydney GF,

Same. Just went to book tickets and all cat 5 and cat 4 are sold out. Which means tickets are $122 a pop for cat 3. I realised I dont like the Giants that much.

i wonder if its a ticketek stuff up, or will higher cat tickets come up later in the week ?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah if the swans lose this friday thats it season ends, not even going to watch the GF nor give a @@@@ about anything AFL related.

Plus if uts a GWS vs Cats or Dogs vs Cats GF it will be the most annoying cliche riddled week to have grace the GF. Just having to put up with Luke "SoBrave" beveridge for another week is grating. Hope he falls off his skateboard this week.

Every GF is cliche ridden. Remember the live cross to someones lounge room in Ireland in 2005.

KTigers
19th September 2016, 12:43 PM
The NRMA bloke was out the front and I wasn't concentrating and ended up with Cat 1 tix. Jesus, who makes these prices up? I think I've just paid a big chunk of Tom Scullys wage.

[QUOTE=barry;709974]Same. Just went to book tickets and all cat 5 and cat 4 are sold out. Which means tickets are $122 a pop for cat 3. I realised I dont like the Giants that much.

i wonder if its a ticketek stuff up, or will higher cat tickets come up later in the week ?

- - - Updated - - -

barry
19th September 2016, 12:44 PM
I hope you didnt buy an extra ticket by mistake. When you choose number of adults, its number of extras not including the membership.

John Ralph says 18,000 tickets sold. I reckon every 4th or 5th seat might be empty! (brought in error)

kilroyII
19th September 2016, 12:54 PM
Same. Just went to book tickets and all cat 5 and cat 4 are sold out. Which means tickets are $122 a pop for cat 3. I realised I dont like the Giants that much.

- - - Updated - - -

Every GF is cliche ridden. Remember the live cross to someones lounge room in Ireland in 2005.

I didnt consider that cliche and contrived.

Contrived is the majority of your posts and the constant narratives that the AFL give the media who then run with it all year, this year its all about the brave bulldogs. It gets those fans who normally wont spend, to spend and gives them hope while the rest of us vomit in our mouths.

I mean who didnt bawl their eyes out when that amazing top bloke, Robert Murphy, did his knee in round 3 or that night (i am still suffering from PTSD) they copped all those injuries. Poor Beveridge cried and so did I.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the Dogs may be spent by the time they may make it to the GF if they do. No one can keep up playing the way they've been playing for four weeks in a row.
Soft.

But they are differant from any other side from previous years, they are the brave bulldogs and they can do it. Ch 7 told me so in the lead up to our match where they spent 30 mins on the brave bulldogs.

barry
19th September 2016, 12:56 PM
I hear the Giants have a thing going called #DoitforBob. ie. Dont let the dogs go to a grand final without Bob Murphy.

I lol'ed.

kilroyII
19th September 2016, 01:03 PM
I hear the Giants have a thing going called #DoitforBob. ie. Dont let the dogs go to a grand final without Bob Murphy.

I lol'ed.

I really hope they go out and belt each other then it ends up being a draw and they have to play extra time. Then eventually GWS win by a point and it puts an end to their braveness and it can shut up Luke "I'm a victim" Beveridge once and for all.

KTigers
19th September 2016, 01:18 PM
That is brilliant. Some of their supporters do yell out some very funny tongue-in-cheek stuff sometimes at games.

I lol'ed.

snajik
19th September 2016, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately you just need to block that stuff out and try to enjoy the game for what it is. It annoys me that Gary Rohan is only ever referred to as a 'speedster.' Apparently he has no other attributes. Lazy journalism.
Not sure why you'd be bagging Robert Murphy though. Pretty innocuous as far as 'top blokes' are concerned. I could understand your vitriol being directed at top bloke Brian Taylor, McGuire, Brereton, Tony Shaw or my all-time favourite top bloke Shane Warne. You shouldn't overlook that Murphy was a vocal supporter of Adam Goodes when he was experiencing all of that bs last year. The media are just attempting to appear clever and relevant while appealing to the LCD for the benefit of ratings / sales etc. It's up to you if you want to engage with them.

kilroyII
19th September 2016, 01:49 PM
I wasnt having a go at Murphy directly but the media who manipulate fans who then carry on like idiots. Its the same media who have made me dislike Cyril and the same media who I am sure is the reason why people hated Goodsey.

But I do have a dislike for Luke Beveridge.

dejavoodoo44
19th September 2016, 03:01 PM

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that a live cross to Ireland hasn't been done before or since, means that it wasn't a cliche.

barry
19th September 2016, 03:17 PM
LOL @Ticket-master

Log in this morning with a giants membership ID. Only expensive Cat 1 & 2 & 3 avaliable. $122 min

Policy seems to be: General public > Members

Are they purposely trying to lower crowds.?

dimelb
19th September 2016, 03:24 PM
LOL @Ticket-master

Log in this morning with a giants membership ID. Only expensive Cat 1 & 2 & 3 avaliable. $122 min

You got the tickets at Ticketmaster?

And yes, members are a milch cow, general public needs to be convinced!

AnnieH
19th September 2016, 03:24 PM
I just got my email to register for granny tickets tomorrow.
Whoo hooo.
Bring it on.

Zlatorog
19th September 2016, 03:27 PM
I just got my email to register for granny tickets tomorrow.
Whoo hooo.
Bring it on.
Are you sure it's tomorrow? I thought that the registration starts on Wednesday.

AnnieH
19th September 2016, 03:28 PM
Are you sure it's tomorrow? I thought that the registration starts on Wednesday.

Not for Redbacks.

barry
19th September 2016, 03:28 PM
You got the tickets at Ticketmaster?

And yes, members are a milch cow, general public needs to be convinced!

Yes, I actually thought it was ticketek, the sites look familar.

Odd thing is the Cat 5 tickets I brought are in a stand that is marked as Cat 3.

A conspiracy theory is that they are flogging off all the tickets unsold to members at baseline (cat 5) prices to general public.
Members got "milch'ed"

Zlatorog
19th September 2016, 03:31 PM
Not for Redbacks.
Ah, the privileged few.:tongue:

AnnieH
19th September 2016, 03:42 PM
Ah, the privileged few.:tongue:

Membership has its privileges.

Mel_C
19th September 2016, 03:44 PM
I heard that the game is a sellout. Will be interesting to see what is the ratio of GWS to Bulldog supporters.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Nico
19th September 2016, 03:47 PM
Sadly have family arrangements that have been in place for months now that will mean I can't be at the 'G on Friday night, but will be there for the big dance the following week should we get up over Geelong.

As for the plastics..... I couldn't care less if its a 'running footy' festival or whatever one wants to describe it, no way I'd drive 3 hours up the highway to watch that mob play, unless they are playing the Swans.

MCS.....that's like living in Melbourne and putting your hand up for work for normal wages on Melbourne Cup Day.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you didnt buy an extra ticket by mistake. When you choose number of adults, its number of extras not including the membership.

John Ralph says 18,000 tickets sold. I reckon every 4th or 5th seat might be empty! (brought in error)

You have to be careful. If you go in and a seat comes that you don't like it puts it into your cart. If you don't log out of the site it is easy to hit PAY and end up with 2 tickets when you get one you like. Mine is N12. Happy with that.

Nico
19th September 2016, 03:56 PM
LOL @Ticket-master

They have been doing it for years. Sell off the expensive and often crap seats first. I waited until after 11am because people go nuts to get on early so they don't miss out. Prelims are never sold out early and they reel in the members with poor seats. I wonder where the general public section is. Maybe level Q in the nose bleeds, I hope. Worth taking a some binos to the GF if we make it, because often Premiership Club members end up in the seats where you can only see one end of the ground or you are so high the players look like ants.

- - - Updated - - -

I heard that the game is a sellout. Will be interesting to see what is the ratio of GWS to Bulldog supporters.

Go to the Big Footy Bulldogs site for the story. I reckon there will be some filthy supporters venting.

barry
19th September 2016, 04:35 PM
Go to the Big Footy Bulldogs site for the story. I reckon there will be some filthy supporters venting.

Plenty of tickets still available.

Doctor
19th September 2016, 05:07 PM
3 finals at three venues (ANZ, SCG & MCG) for me but can't make the Big Dance if we get there.

barry
20th September 2016, 09:37 AM
Finals footy.my life is consumed by it. Whether it be securing tickets, transport options etc. Then watching as many footy show as exist. Then forums ....
The rest of my life is just hanging on . I'll be glad when it's all done .... and then ill miss it

Hotpotato
20th September 2016, 10:25 AM
Plenty of tickets still available.

Yep , I got a ticket at 9.03am.
Doggies supporters not as avid to see the game live as envisaged.

barry
20th September 2016, 10:39 AM
Yep , I got a ticket at 9.03am.
Doggies supporters not as avid to see the game live as envisaged.

Ive never seen so much BS about a game of football in my life.

A harsh reality is about to hit the fairytale bulldogs. They've been on the road every second week for the last 6, including 2 trips to perth. Now, non-vic sides are used to this and have the mental hardness and methods to handle it. A melbourne side used to 16 games at home each year will be tiring badly. Compound that with the extra intensity of finals games, a few players coming back from injury and missing that consistent match conditioning, its going to be a blow-out final win to the giants.

The media will then go into BS overdrive above how "brave" the bulldogs were. How unjust the league is. How plastic GWS is. How few fans they have, blah, blah, blah. Here's the tip bulldogs, if you want a serious crack at a flag, finish top 4 or even better top 2.

In many ways, it would have been better for GWS to meet Hawthorn. They then could claim the moral high ground by killing the beast.

Jewels
20th September 2016, 10:44 AM

A harsh reality is about to hit the fairytale bulldogs. They've been on the road every second week for the last 6, including 2 trips to perth. Now, non-vic sides are used to this and have the mental hardness and methods to handle it. A melbourne side used to 16 games at home each year will be tiring badly. Compound that with the extra intensity of finals games, a few players coming back from injury and missing that consistent match conditioning, its going to be a blow-out final win to the giants.

The media will then go into BS overdrive above how "brave" the bulldogs were. How unjust the league is. How plastic GWS is. How few fans they have, blah, blah, blah. Here's the tip bulldogs, if you want a serious crack at a flag, finish top 4 or even better top 2.

In many ways, it would have been better for GWS to meet Hawthorn. They then could claim the moral high ground by killing the beast.

Yep, spot on.

AnnieH
20th September 2016, 11:15 AM
Whoo hoooo.
I'm registered.

KTigers
20th September 2016, 11:43 AM
Yes, I think I posted yesterday that if somehow the Dogs can get past GWS (which I doubt) it would be better for us because the Dogs will likely be spent by the
time they make it to the G. Whereas GWS will have more left in the tank come Oct 1. The media can't help themselves looking for footy fairytales so have latched onto the Dogs
with all their keyboards blazing, and that is to be expected. Not sure I buy into this notion that just because a club doesn't have as many members as others they should be belittled for it. That reasoning makes Hawthorn & Collingwood the greatest clubs because they have the most members. We go to some of the GWS games, and their fans....
well, they just look like people watching a footy game to me.

goswannies
20th September 2016, 11:50 AM
Please don't begrudge the media latching on to fairytales! I still have so many articles from the lead-up to 2005! ;)

Hotpotato
20th September 2016, 07:05 PM
The Dooggies Fairytale will probably end on Sat evening . But I'm going to see if they can do it on pure Adrenaline.

Faunac8
20th September 2016, 07:32 PM

Big call and probably has some merit BUT I would not be writing off the Doggies they have a game style that matches up well against the Interlopers
I for one will be cheering them on as I have generated an immense dislike for the Interlopers this season.

dejavoodoo44
20th September 2016, 08:20 PM
Please don't begrudge the media latching on to fairytales! I still have so many articles from the lead-up to 2005! ;)
Now that you mention it: I haven't got any articles from the lead up, but I'm sure that in a cupboard somewhere, there's a fair few post-match articles. My favourite of those, was one where the author identified everybody in the pack that Leo Barry soared in front of. They then went on to detail the history of each of those players. Since there was a wide variety of journeys, it was a really interesting read.

- - - Updated - - -

Big call and probably has some merit BUT I would not be writing off the Doggies they have a game style that matches up well against the Interlopers
I for one will be cheering them on as I have generated an immense dislike for the Interlopers this season.
Yes, and strangely, Kevin Sheedy's comments didn't make me rethink my dislike. If anything....

barry
20th September 2016, 09:25 PM
I enjoyed kevins comments. I mean seriously, ate GWS expected to be rubbish for 20 years first?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Faunac8
21st September 2016, 01:44 AM
I enjoyed kevins comments. I mean seriously, ate GWS expected to be rubbish for 20 years first?

Of course you did . And your second sentence just highlights the issues most people on this forum have with the way the Interlopers have been set up. Why do they have to have immediate success?
Surely building a team and earning a flag is preferable to being given one?
If they win the flag this year it will always carry an * in my mind.
We shouldn't be surprised however as this is not a new template by the VFL.
The early success of the contrived clubs in SA and WA always made me livid. Especially as a Swans supporter who watched these bastardised clubs recieve preferential treatment to ensure they succeeded while we were left begging for help in foreign territory.

barry
21st September 2016, 07:41 AM
Gold coast has proven that they were not "given" success.

KTigers
21st September 2016, 07:47 AM
Yes, and Freo.... that's gone well. Right now they are about as far from a cup as they were in 1995.

Faunac8
21st September 2016, 08:14 AM
The contrived clubs I refer to were Crows and the team that stole the 2006 cup. Freo and Port came later and in ports case was an extension of an existing club they were also not given any where near the assistance of the first two.
And Gold Coast have not completely wasted the assistance they recieved although many eggs were placed in one basket with Gary. Of course K Hunt wasn't a great result either however we will see them deep in finals over the next few years. As long as the VFL clubs don't continue to cherry pick from their list

Industrial Fan
21st September 2016, 08:15 AM

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalkthey were given all the same tools they just ballsed it up completely.

Gws have been really well run but there's no escaping the fact they've been given a heap of concessions.

21st September 2016, 08:16 AM

Gold Coast have only proven that you can give a hamster a Ferarri but if it can't reach the pedals, you've wasted a Ferrari. GC should probably have been vying by now but they squandered their oportunity. GWS learned from GCS's strategic mistakes & were given slightly better advantages.

21st September 2016, 08:20 AM
The contrived clubs I refer to were Crows and the team that stole the 2006 cup. Freo and Port came later and in ports case was an extension of an existing club they were also not given any where near the assistance of the first two.
And Gold Coast have not completely wasted the assistance they recieved although many gigs were placed in one basket with Gary. Of course K Hunt wasn't a great result either however we will see them deep in finals over the next few years. As long as the VFL clubs don't continue to cherry pick from their list
The Crows, Weagles, Bears & Freo's concessions were nowhere near what these two new interlopers have received. Poor Brisbane was the worst - getting a couple of bottom end discards from every club.

Faunac8
21st September 2016, 08:31 AM
The Crows, Weagles, Bears & Freo's concessions were nowhere near what these two new interlopers have received. Poor Brisbane was the worse - getting a couple of bottom end discards from every club.
Agreed re Brisbane however being the only team in the big league in two footy mad states certainly set up the Crows and the team that stole the 2006 cup for success. Living in SA I became aware of crows supporters who were born and bred Port supporters ( and still followed them in the SAFL ) but had become rusted on Crows due to their early success.

21st September 2016, 08:57 AM
Agreed re Brisbane however being the only team in the big league in two footy mad states certainly set up the Crows and the team that stole the 2006 cup for success. Living in SA I became aware of crows supporters who were born and bred Port supporters ( and still followed them in the SAFL ) but had become rusted on Crows due to their early success.
The SA & WA sides were helped by having a more appreciative fan base. But it's not really a concession given by the AFL.
Brisbane, and the 2 SA & 2 WA clubs had to raise significant capital to buy their licences from the AFL/VFL. Who owns the licences for the 2 newest interlopers?

KTigers
21st September 2016, 09:16 AM
I am surprised that people think it's even remotely possible to "even up" the concessions/handouts/advantages given & not given to a such a disparate group of relocated and newly formed clubs over the thirty year time span the AFL have been trying to expand what is STILL largely a suburban Melbourne comp. Folks, there are humans running this
process OK, not f...ing extraterrestial superbrains.

21st September 2016, 09:21 AM
I am surprised that people think it's even remotely possible to "even up" the concessions/handouts/advantages given & not given to a such a disparate group of relocated and newly formed clubs over the thirty year time span the AFL have been trying to expand what is STILL largely a suburban Melbourne comp.

I don't think it should be "evened up". The two newest teams have just got too much IMO. GCS have largely squandered theirs (so far) while GW$ are rapidly becoming Fitzprickstein's Monster

Jewels
21st September 2016, 09:22 AM
Gold Coast have only proven that you can give a hamster a Ferarri but if it can't reach the pedals, you've wasted a Ferrari.

(clap) :rofl :five: What a great analogy!

stevoswan
21st September 2016, 09:30 AM

All I can say to that dross is........Go Doggies! They then could claim the moral high ground by killing the beast......that is GWS!! I know your a loyal Sydney/NSW resident Barry, but you really have to decide where your 'actual' allegiance lies......and stop this weird Giants love! You do realise they are our enemy..... :hmmmm2:

KTigers
21st September 2016, 10:12 AM
Maybe not every Swans supporter approaches the game & the team the same way Stevo. Jesus, on Saturday night we had to sit behind these six Swans supporting boofheads who'd just Uber-d over from Daniel Talia's local in Double Bay and spent a chunk of the night trying to get "the wave" started before bailing just after 3/4 time to look for something shiny. I had to tell myself this was part of the footy life's rich tapestry to stop myself from belting one of these
morons. As Lars Ulrich said in the Metallica doco "we're Metallica, there's no f...ing rules".

longmile
21st September 2016, 11:13 AM
Jesus, on Saturday night we had to sit behind these six Swans supporting boofheads who'd just Uber-d over from Daniel Talia's local in Double Bay and spent a chunk of the night trying to get "the wave" started before bailing just after 3/4 time to look for something shiny.

That hurts me on an incredibly personal level
Embarassing

KTigers
21st September 2016, 11:58 AM
You'll be OK mate. Apparently Talia's Hawks mate Jono is hosting their Mad Monday celebrations in the laneway next to
the pub. It's been going for three days now, in "honour" of the three peat. Maybe just duck down there this arvo.
I'm sure one of the Hawks boys will be able to fix you up with something to make you feel a little bit better after a particularly
difficult day on the footy forum.

That hurts me on an incredibly personal level
Embarassing

barry
21st September 2016, 12:24 PM
they were given all the same tools they just ballsed it up completely.

Gws have been really well run but there's no escaping the fact they've been given a heap of concessions.

Thats a fair summary. But a new club from stratch needs concessions. Impossible to start without them.

I happen to think the concessions to GC and GWS were about right for start up, and comparable to WC, Adelaide.
Certainly a lot better the Brisbane Bears and Swans. This is good, those were stuff ups. If they repeated it again, it would be stupid.

The fact that GC and GWS have take such different paths show that concessions on their own get you no where. good manangement is the key. Give credit where credit's due.

AnnieH
21st September 2016, 11:47 PM
Maybe not every Swans supporter approaches the game & the team the same way Stevo. Jesus, on Saturday night we had to sit behind these six Swans supporting boofheads who'd just Uber-d over from Daniel Talia's local in Double Bay and spent a chunk of the night trying to get "the wave" started before bailing just after 3/4 time to look for something shiny. I had to tell myself this was part of the footy life's rich tapestry to stop myself from belting one of these
morons. As Lars Ulrich said in the Metallica doco "we're Metallica, there's no f...ing rules".

I just cried with laughter.

barry
22nd September 2016, 10:32 AM
Despite all the wild gnashing of teeth about Spotless holding a prelim, it seems to be the exact right size.
Was about 1800 tickets left after Tuesday, and that is slowly whittling down to 700 left yesterday.

No one who wanted to go has missed out.
No way they would have got a bigger crowd at ANZ or SCG.
A full Spotless will provide infinitly better atmosphere than half empty SCG, or 1/4 full ANZ.

Ironic that a ticket to this prelim costs more than most Giants memberships. lol.

Mug Punter
22nd September 2016, 10:44 AM
Thats a fair summary. But a new club from stratch needs concessions. Impossible to start without them.

I happen to think the concessions to GC and GWS were about right for start up, and comparable to WC, Adelaide.
Certainly a lot better the Brisbane Bears and Swans. This is good, those were stuff ups. If they repeated it again, it would be stupid.

The fact that GC and GWS have take such different paths show that concessions on their own get you no where. good manangement is the key. Give credit where credit's due.

I agree that the AFL had to err on the side of generosity with the new clubs. And I don't think it is fair to compare their concessions to what happened in SA/WA because they were established football states with a strong local league to mine (even with the second tranche of Port and Freo), solid supporter base and a local pathway that pretty much ensured they'd be competitive in 3-4 years.

The better comparison is the Brisbane Bears and how they fared and there was no point having two new teams if they weren't competitive. Having said that this still creates a nightmare situation for the AFL when they are underwriting GWS to the tune of millions a years. Then again I guess if anyone can handle a conflict of interest it is Mike Fitzpatrick:)

KTigers
22nd September 2016, 11:09 AM
There is a link to an interesting piece regarding AFL club finances on the RWO General Footy Chat board. It's from a site called HPN. I'm sure some RWOers may have read it already, but if not it's definitely worth a read. I've pasted the paragraph dealing with misconceptions over AFL funding of the expansion clubs below.

Extra AFL support for the expansion sides is usually wildly overstated
Often reported as �pouring over 20 million dollars in� by the AFL or �subsidised over 100m dollars� since inception, the truer picture of the AFL�s current extra support for GWS is currently 3-5 million extra dollars per year, when compared to other small teams like St Kilda or the Bulldogs. It�s important to note that half the money that the Giants receive is the standard allotment for all clubs. And it�s perhaps even more important to note that this TV deal is as large as it is thanks in part to the existence of a 9th game and two teams in each mainland state. Furthermore, as small clubs, GWS and Gold Coast would be getting a few extra million dollars in equalisation funding regardless of their status as expansion clubs.

Thunder Shaker
22nd September 2016, 11:56 AM
This is the conventional wisdom, but the Dogs have not had a conventional season. They had a spate of injuries mid-season and dropped a game or two, but despite that they finished only two games and percentage off top spot. In some years that is enough for a top-4 finish. This year, they were a game behind sixth. This year has had the closest spread of top teams since 1993.

By winning their semi final, the Dogs have the same chance of making the Grand Final as a top four side that loses in the first week and ends up travelling interstate for the preliminary. They are also up against the Giants, a young side whose finals credentials are still being established. Both sides are full of young players who have limited experience of a finals campaign, in the case of the Giants, none at all. The Dogs' defence will struggle to contain the Giants' tall forwards, but I suspect their preliminary final will be like a war of attrition in the midfield with young bodies tiring after a long season.

Mug Punter
22nd September 2016, 12:13 PM
This is the conventional wisdom, but the Dogs have not had a conventional season. They had a spate of injuries mid-season and dropped a game or two, but despite that they finished only two games and percentage off top spot. In some years that is enough for a top-4 finish. This year, they were a game behind sixth. This year has had the closest spread of top teams since 1993.

By winning their semi final, the Dogs have the same chance of making the Grand Final as a top four side that loses in the first week and ends up travelling interstate for the preliminary. They are also up against the Giants, a young side whose finals credentials are still being established. Both sides are full of young players who have limited experience of a finals campaign, in the case of the Giants, none at all. The Dogs' defence will struggle to contain the Giants' tall forwards, but I suspect their preliminary final will be like a war of attrition in the midfield with young bodies tiring after a long season.

I hope I am wrong but I can see GWS blowing the Doggies off the park

barry
22nd September 2016, 01:36 PM
Gws have also said that there sponsorship is full. Had to close it a few weeks ago.

barry
22nd September 2016, 01:48 PM
There is a link to an interesting piece regarding AFL club finances on the RWO General Footy Chat board. It's from a site called HPN. I'm sure some RWOers may have read it already, but if not it's definitely worth a read. I've pasted the paragraph dealing with misconceptions over AFL funding of the expansion clubs below.

Extra AFL support for the expansion sides is usually wildly overstated
Often reported as �pouring over 20 million dollars in� by the AFL or �subsidised over 100m dollars� since inception, the truer picture of the AFL�s current extra support for GWS is currently 3-5 million extra dollars per year, when compared to other small teams like St Kilda or the Bulldogs. It�s important to note that half the money that the Giants receive is the standard allotment for all clubs. And it�s perhaps even more important to note that this TV deal is as large as it is thanks in part to the existence of a 9th game and two teams in each mainland state. Furthermore, as small clubs, GWS and Gold Coast would be getting a few extra million dollars in equalisation funding regardless of their status as expansion clubs.
If that is true then the net cost of the giants and suns to the comp is zero.

KTigers
22nd September 2016, 01:52 PM
Both Prelims are very hard to pick. As they usually are. I am leaning slightly towards an all Sydney GF. I think we've had Geelong's measure
the last few years. We've really gotten hold of them a few times recently.
Pound for pound, GWS are a better team than the Dogs and if they all "turn up" they should win, as the Dogs may tire in the latter stages.
It will be a brutal game as both teams have a bunch of guys with no regard for their own personal safety.

KTigers
22nd September 2016, 02:28 PM
Well, I'm just putting in the quote from this other article that basically states the Suns & Giants are only receiving $3M to $5M a year more in funding from the AFL than the Bulldogs and St Kilda are receiving. I'm not sure where that writer gets his info from. But assuming it's correct and taking into account that the new TV rights deal is worth $418M a year, and the previous deal was worth $250M a year then you could almost argue that the AFL is actually coming out ahead.
Obviously some of the extra $168M a year the AFL is getting is due to inflation, but a sizeable piece will be because there are nine games a week & not eight. People on this forum keep talking about how the Swans are possibly waiting on the new pay deal to work out if they can offer Tom Mitchell more money, but the reason there is a new pay deal is coming is because there is more money flowing to the AFL from things like the TV deal. So all the players benefit from the new teams coming into the comp ie guys at Port Adelaide will get paid more because the Suns and Giants exist.
All the clubs receive substantial amounts of money from the AFL, as they should. And these amounts seem to change very often depending on the clubs circumstances.

If that is true then the net cost of the giants and suns to the comp is zero.

barry
22nd September 2016, 03:23 PM
Maybe I read it differently to some, but whenever I hear of an attack on GWS, I take it as an attack on Sydney AFL in general.
I think this is a reality.

McChins may decide to take swipe at the academy, and picks the easiest target of riverina. But if it wasnt riverina, it would be something else.

I hope for an all-Sydney grand final.
Vic's can go f themselves.

baskin
22nd September 2016, 03:59 PM
Despite all the wild gnashing of teeth about Spotless holding a prelim, it seems to be the exact right size.
Was about 1800 tickets left after Tuesday, and that is slowly whittling down to 700 left yesterday.

No one who wanted to go has missed out.
No way they would have got a bigger crowd at ANZ or SCG.
A full Spotless will provide infinitly better atmosphere than half empty SCG, or 1/4 full ANZ.

Ironic that a ticket to this prelim costs more than most Giants memberships. lol.

I believe there would have been more Bulldogs supporters attending if the game was somewhere bigger.
I live in Bulldog territory and many of my friends didn't try for tickets. All the talk about how few tickets were available, and that the greater number would be for GWS members stopped them trying. As they weren't guaranteed a ticket they didn't try booking travel & accomodation in case they were left high & dry.
A bit like some of our supporters trying to attend the Swans game in Hobart.

Mel_C
22nd September 2016, 04:14 PM
I hope for an all-Sydney grand final.
Vic's can go f themselves.

It would be interesting to see the reaction if this happens. Some of my relatives on the weekend said that an all Sydney grand final WOULDN'T be good for football. And there also has been some rumblings on radio and the paper that it's the AFL's dream for this to happen as we are both the love child of the AFL.

KTigers
22nd September 2016, 04:27 PM
They can buy tickets right now if they want. It's still not sold out.

I believe there would have been more Bulldogs supporters attending if the game was somewhere bigger.
I live in Bulldog territory and many of my friends didn't try for tickets. All the talk about how few tickets were available, and that the greater number would be for GWS members stopped them trying. As they weren't guaranteed a ticket they didn't try booking travel & accomodation in case they were left high & dry.

barry
22nd September 2016, 04:48 PM

Sounds like BS baskin. If these supporters really wanted to go, they could.
At only 8000 travelling dogs fans, rest assured, a city the size of Sydney will still have plenty of accomodation options available.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be interesting to see the reaction if this happens. Some of my relatives on the weekend said that an all Sydney grand final WOULDN'T be good for football. And there also has been some rumblings on radio and the paper that it's the AFL's dream for this to happen as we are both the love child of the AFL.

It wouldnt be good for Victorian football.
It would be great for NSW football.
It wouldnt make a difference to SA, WA, QLD, Tas football.

Thunder Shaker
22nd September 2016, 09:38 PM
I hope I am wrong but I can see GWS blowing the Doggies off the park
That is a possibility; the Dogs lost to GWS by 25 points when they met earlier in the year. I expect the Giants to win against the Dogs but it's not a sure thing.

The counterargument is what the Dogs did to Hawthorn. The Dogs snapped an 8-game losing streak going back to 2010. Any team that snaps losing streaks against opponents in finals are not teams to be taken lightly. When we won the flag in 2012, we overcame recent poor form against Adelaide (2-12 since 2002) Collingwood (11 losses since 2006) and at the MCG (1-1-13 since 2007). Our 2012 premiership showed that past form means nothing in finals. If the Dogs get to the Grand Final against Geelong, they also have an unbroken 10-game losing streak against Geelong. The Dogs have won their last two against us.

baskin
22nd September 2016, 09:47 PM
My comment wasn't to question barry, it was simply to state facts. Not everyone has endless funds, and to book flights & accommodation without a guarantee of a ticket, or booking at the last minute once you have a ticket, can be cost prohibitive.
Not everyone is up to jumping on the club buses which are travelling up and back on the same day.

barry
22nd September 2016, 09:57 PM
But the dogs membership sales were never sold out. It seems the problem is more that is in sydney rather than spotless

cherub
22nd September 2016, 10:35 PM
My comment wasn't to question barry, it was simply to state facts. Not everyone has endless funds, and to book flights & accommodation without a guarantee of a ticket, or booking at the last minute once you have a ticket, can be cost prohibitive.
Not everyone is up to jumping on the club buses which are travelling up and back on the same day.

True. But this is the same for every club member who makes the final. Do I book a airfare to the GF from Perth on the off chance the Swannies get there and I can get a ticket, and time off work.? That's just the reality off finals. You get less than a week to make arrangements. And it costs.

aguy
22nd September 2016, 10:39 PM
True. But this is the same for every club member who makes the final. Do I book a airfare to the GF from Perth on the off chance the Swannies get there and I can get a ticket, and time off work.? That's just the reality off finals. You get less than a week to make arrangements. And it costs.just a heads up that it's easy enough to book accomodation that has free cancellation up to 3 days before grand final. Not so easy for flights though.

KTigers
22nd September 2016, 11:08 PM
Being a Bulldogs supporter is basically a breeze. You just rock up to Etihad every weekend. You barely have to leave the place. And if the Dogs make the Grand Final, their supporters have to scrape together what, five bucks for a tram fare. Poor things.

AnnieH
23rd September 2016, 09:31 AM
True. But this is the same for every club member who makes the final. Do I book a airfare to the GF from Perth on the off chance the Swannies get there and I can get a ticket, and time off work.? That's just the reality off finals. You get less than a week to make arrangements. And it costs.

Not if you book in August.

barry
23rd September 2016, 01:27 PM
What a disgrace the AFL is. They are "preparing for a backlash if GWS win flag".

A conspiracy theorist would suggest then they will do everything they can to avoid GWS winning a flag to easily, especially against a melbourne team. Be interesting to see what the free kick count is on Saturday. And I bet GWS are hoping for a swans win tonight to remove the melbourne element from the grand final if they win.

Expect a "trading ban" or similar if GWS do win the flag.

What a joke of a comp this is, if you are outside Victoria.

cherub
23rd September 2016, 03:07 PM
Not if you book in August.
I admire your faith! I only want to see the Swannies play. Not interested in a neutral GF. Airtickets from Perth are still expensive in August, because the Eagles aren't knocked out by then.

AnnieH
23rd September 2016, 03:26 PM
I book early every year... just in case.
I have until 28 September to cancel my accommodation for free; and I'll just put the airfare into credit and use it for the annual MCG game footy trip.