PDA

View Full Version : AFLW

Industrial Fan
2nd February 2017, 12:14 AM
With the women's league kicking off its occurred that I'll struggle to follow it without the swans represented.

Gws even have their own netball team now...

Can anyone shed any light as far as why we don't have a women's team?

Meg
2nd February 2017, 12:32 AM
The Swans put out a detailed statement in April last year setting out their reasons for not applying for a women's licence at this stage. The main reason was an absence of adequate training facilities.

"The Sydney Swans are at maximum utilisation of their facility at the SCG and there is no capacity or space for an additional team to be housed at the Club�s headquarters."

"Planning is underway for a new training and administration facility in the Moore Park Precinct, which will include provisions for both a Female Academy and a future NWL team, as well as the existing QBE Sydney Swans Academy and Indigenous Academy. However, the new facility is still some years away."

Sydney Swans NWL statement - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-04-29/sydney-swans-nwl-statement)

There is a separate AFL Women's discussion forum that you might want to look at.

Industrial Fan
2nd February 2017, 09:19 AM
Thanks Meg

See that forum has the same questions asked a few times too.

aguy
2nd February 2017, 10:16 AM
I've thought about the women's afl and the Swans for a while now. I remember reading the above statement and I believe that is what the club had to say. However. I think that a bigger consideration is that in reality there was only ever going to be one Sydney team given the smaller size of the competition. That being the case the AFL was always going to choose GWS over the Swans as the sole women's team in Sydney. It stands to reason that the afl want to attract more supporters in Sydney and in particular their own team gws. By having them as the only Sydney team with a women's team that can only benefit the number of supporters that gws has which I guess will somewhat flow over to their men's team as well.

Just my thoughts

Meg
2nd February 2017, 12:38 PM
With only eight teams in the start-up AFLW I agree that there was only ever going to be one team from Sydney. The reasons the Swans put forward for not competing for the licence to be that team make sense. While disappointed about that, I was pleased by the reference to a future Swans female academy.

With GWS being the Sydney AFLW team, and with only three home matches, unfortunately two are to be played at BISP and one in Canberra. I had hoped one match might be closer to the CBD, for example at Drummoyne. I will be watching the Ch 7 TV matches though.

aardvark
2nd February 2017, 12:46 PM
Afl have shifted the Collingwood Carlton game to Ikon Park. The crowd prediction was too big for Olympic Park. Estimated 15-20 K. I have watched a few of the practice games and the standard has been surprisingly good. Friday night should be fun, just don't expect it to be the same as the Mens and you won't be disappointed.

aardvark
2nd February 2017, 12:54 PM
A great article....

AFLW: Balancing the hope and expectations of women's football in its first season - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-02/aflw-why-we-need-to-love-womens-footy-but-be-realistic/8228744)

Meg
2nd February 2017, 01:19 PM
Thanks, I agree that is a great article.

ugg
2nd February 2017, 09:58 PM
Some of those AFLW games are part of a double header with preseason AFl games

bloodspirit
3rd February 2017, 02:09 AM
With only eight teams in the start-up AFLW I agree that there was only ever going to be one team from Sydney. The reasons the Swans put forward for not competing for the licence to be that team make sense. While disappointed about that, I was pleased by the reference to a future Swans female academy.

With GWS being the Sydney AFLW team, and with only three home matches, unfortunately two are to be played at BISP and one in Canberra. I had hoped one match might be closer to the CBD, for example at Drummoyne. I will be watching the Ch 7 TV matches though.

+ 1

I also agree with the ABC article. Unfortunately the standard to start off with can't be as high as the women's exhibition matches to date because they have been virtual all star matches.

However I hadn't considered the fact that it could be like a return to the good old days of suburban, less commercial footy.

I'm really excited about the comp and sad we won't have our own team for years to come. I think it is going to be great for the game going forward and good to see footy jump into the space of professional women's team sport in Australia behind only soccer and cricket (not counting netball - perhaps because it is perceived as more of a women's game). I figure AFLW is straight away going to be ahead of WNBL and any other professional women's team sport in Oz. With the higher profile that footy has compared to soccer in Australia, I think there are good prospects to overtake the W-league too except they have the advantage of an international game, World Cup and more lucrative overseas comps. However that hasn't stopped men's footy coming out in front of men's soccer in Australia.

I completely accept the reasons the Swans have given publicly.

bloodspirit
3rd February 2017, 09:28 PM
I only saw the end, but how good was that?! Better than I hoped. Sensational atmosphere!

aardvark
3rd February 2017, 10:11 PM
I only saw the end, but how good was that?! Better than I hoped. Sensational atmosphere!

Fantastic night, the Carlton girls looked very strong although the Pies have some excellent players too. And Gil having to apologize to the crowd that were locked out was a highlight too.

Isaac Heeney spotted in the crowd too.

bloodspirit
4th February 2017, 09:43 AM
I loved the excitement and passion shown not only by the players but also the fans, especially the women and girls. It really did feel like history in the making. How exciting to be able to watch on TV and barrack for teams of your own gender and to feel more included!

In the little I saw I was struck not just by the intensity and the way the players were cracking in (as Isaac Heeney put it) but also by the conspicuously team oriented play. The players rarely failed to lower their eyes and seek out another team mate closer to goal when the opportunity was there.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't wait for more!

Mel_C
4th February 2017, 07:08 PM
I wish that the swans had a team! At first it didn't really bother me that we weren't part of the competition but now that it has started I want to be in it.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

5th February 2017, 01:09 PM
I love how they are so far getting crowd numbers that match or better GW$'s H&A figures

bloodspirit
6th February 2017, 05:08 PM
At this rate they'll be adding teams as fast as they can find the players to fill them!

Once we have our academy up and running for women and our new, bigger, 'state of the art' training facility we'll be a shoo in to get in the next tranche of teams I reckon!

Mel_C
6th February 2017, 05:43 PM
I love how they are so far getting crowd numbers that match or better GW$'s H&A figures
One thing I didn't realise was that the matches are free. Amazingly Gill said they weren't going to start charging for entry.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

aardvark
14th February 2017, 10:41 AM
Sydney Swans keen to join AFL Women's revolution (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/sydney-swans/sydney-swans-keen-to-join-afl-womens-revolution-20170210-guag8h.html)

bloodspirit
20th February 2017, 01:14 PM
I watched my first full game of AFLW this Saturday (on TV), Bulldogs-Demons. It was good to watch. With a longer viewing, the skills difference relative to the AFL was more conspicuous but still didn't detract too much from the spectacle. Cat Phillips was exciting to watch and Alyssa Mifsud had a breakout game. Found out why Daisy Pearce is considered the best in the game. The commentary was so-so. I have enjoyed hearing the commentary of current AFLW players (like Daisy Pearce) the most. Still, Peta Searle did add value and Sam Lane is good at interviewing the players - they seem to like her, perhaps because she evidently shares their excitement about the women's game going (semi) pro. Although the game is much shorter, it feels ok relative to where the AFLW is at currently. I wonder if that will be revisited at some time in the future? With the trend of sports to abbreviate and speed up their games (T20, Rugby 7s, Tennis fast 4 etc.), possibly not. The big selling point remains the passion and pride of the players and the fans and the atmosphere created by good crowds in appropriately sized venues.

I am considering travelling (from Sydney) to watch the Granny, if it's in Melbourne. I wish they would give us some more info. If the Granny is Adelaide - Brissy, will they play it at the higher placing finalist's home ground? I won't go if I have to pay premium price airfares at the last minute. Looking forward to the day that we get our own team. I wonder if we'll have a new training facility in time? Very likely not if we're going to build it from scratch. I reckon once we do have our act together we are a great chance of being given a licence the next time they award additional licences. I think the AFL will be keen to establish another team in the nation's biggest city, especially one aligned with the nation's most widely supported sports club. A sure-fire winer - no?

Meg
24th February 2017, 12:32 PM
News re possible AFLW GF locations but won't be clear until minor premier is know. Adelaide Oval, Gabba, Metricon and Ikon Park all mentioned. Entry will be free however.

AFLW grand final: Gillon McLachlan confirms venues for decider (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/afl-chief-executive-gillon-mclachlan-confirms-venues-for-aflw-grand-final/news-story/cf25129ceb67d620e0fd6d6b4133aeb9)

bloodspirit
27th March 2017, 04:29 PM
Another impressive barrier AFLW is breaking through is homophobia. Erin Phillips, the AFLW's MVP and best on ground in the grand final i.e. the women's game's hottest property at the minute, is able to openly acknowledge her wife, Tracy Gahan, and talk about their baby twins: No Cookies | The Advertiser (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/crows-aflw-player-erin-phillips-opens-up-about-her-wife-tracy-gahan-and-new-twins/news-story/3ac858b5be50cd5c78fc1ca771c4b679). All her family - wife, parents and maybe kids too - were in the stands for the AFLW granny. Why is it that after all this time there is still not one male AFL player who has ever come out? Clearly part of the reason is that male homosexuality is more threatening, to men in particular, but surely there is more to it? I don't know the answer but it's particularly sad that this is true even though Ian Roberts, a top rugby league player, came out over 20 years ago and led an anti-homophobia campaign in rugby league with other top players of the day. Still, even after Roberts' brave first step I haven't heard of many to follow, Gareth Thomas the Welsh rugby captain being one of the few. Still, I hope the example of Erin Phillips and other AFLW players can shine a light and lead the way for more men to follow, thereby making it more ok for men everywhere in society to be accepted irrespective of their sexuality.

I'm sorry to see that this thread has fallen into a 'dead zone' from the time it was moved out of the Swans forum. I confess I myself rarely look at any threads outside of the Swans forum. Perhaps this is something that can be reviewed when/as the site is being overhauled/renovated.

Meg
27th March 2017, 04:51 PM
Agree with you bloodspirit that the openness of the women footballers about their sexuality has been refreshing. And the quite joyous way some media stories were written, such as the one you have posted about Erin, are really welcome. (And yes Erin and her partner's twin sons were at the GF. I saw a lovely photo of Erin with them after the match.)

Another example are Penny Cula-Reid (Collingwood) and Mia-Rae Clifford (Melbourne) who are a gay couple but playing for different teams.

First openly gay AFL player couple: "We're proud, and proud of each other" (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens-afl/first-openly-gay-afl-player-couple-were-proud-and-proud-of-each-other-20170210-gua8s4.html)

bloodspirit
28th March 2017, 12:04 PM
It's a cosy club on this thread. Hi Meg!

I feel like I'm hunkering down at a small table up the back of the bar to put my head together with a few other grizzled regulars over some ouzo, coffee and pistachios rather than amidst a throng in a market place at the Swans forum.

Now I had better say something AFLW related. I wonder if Erin will go the trifecta and pick up the Best and Fairest gong tonight: AFL Women�s best and fairest 2017, AFLW, Rising Star, All-Australian team | Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/aflw-awards-night-ultimate-guide-erin-phillips-no-best-and-fairest-shoein-crow-favourite-for-rising-star/news-story/f76e83632336e81789dd578a60ce1e3c?) However, if it's the Brownlow equivalent, shouldn't it be 'Fairest and Best'? I like that formulation with the anachronistic emphasis on fairness and honour not just return-for-dollar. Personally, I would love to see Daisy win because (a) she deserves it; and (b) she additionally deserves it for the many years she has already been the best player before the AFLW came along and gave her the recognition she deserves. If she doesn't, I hope they name the trophy after her as soon as she stops playing.

Meg
28th March 2017, 12:54 PM
Haha bloodspirit!

Thanks for link with background information for tonight's awards. I really liked the intro to the article, as below. I hate the WAGs aspect of the Brownlow night.

"THE AFLW�s answer to the Brownlow has arrived. And while it�s sure to be a night that honours the game�s best and fairest player, it will retain few other aspects of the men�s top gong........women won�t be accessories. They�ll be celebrated in the spotlight."

Meg
29th March 2017, 09:40 PM
I watched quite a bit of the AFLW awards night last night and what a joyous, relaxed celebration it was. Erin Phillips (Adelaide) was the very deserving winner of the best and fairest award and Daisy Pearce (Melbourne) equally deserving as the chosen captain of the first women's all-Australian team.

I felt for the Brisbane women who went through the season undefeated (with one draw) but then lost the GF. However Adelaide Crows were very deserving winners. And there was something special about the inaugural premiership team being coached by a woman. And what an impressive woman at that - she seems to be an inspired coach.

" Bec Goddard, who won the prize post of first coach of Adelaide's first women's team is in so many ways a very modern coach. A new-wave thinker who sports thick-rimmed glasses, a cropped asymmetric hairdo, shocks of colour on her fingernails and hot-pink socks with her team uniform. Goddard plays piano, trumpet and guitar and this year will complete a degree in Persian language Farsi.

She also has an old-fashioned belief in the power of words and has drummed many mantras into her squad since it first assembled last November."

Love letters from an AFL coach (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/love-letters-from-an-afl-coach-20170324-gv5xzg.html)

dimelb
30th March 2017, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the comments Meg, and for the link.

I'm particularly interested in the "love letters" to the players; it occurred to me that this is something a woman might do, but a man would be rather unlikely to do. Which may be a pity, given the galvanising effect it seems to have had on the women.

Meg
30th March 2017, 09:48 AM
Don, I agree that the 'love letters' were very much a woman's touch. Possibly only another woman could intuitively recognise and understand the insecurities her players would be feeling. This comment from one player sums that up:

"I'm a person who, at times, probably doesn't have the best self-belief. That's something I've got to work on. But even if it's just for a couple of seconds I can read that (the coach's letter) and think: 'Well, if my coach can say these things about me and she's got trust in me then it's about time I had the trust myself and my ability.' "

bloodspirit
30th March 2017, 10:34 AM
It is great to have a female-coached team win. It is fascinating to see the cultural differences that are emerging. Men's footy has a lot it can learn and gain from watching women's footy and its culture. Just as women's footy has no doubt learnt and benefitted enormously from the progress men's footy has delivered (and not just the mistakes!).

Thanks for the link to an absorbing article, Meg. The 'love letters' were a great initiative by Bec Goddard. I can totally see how they would be effective. I could possibly see a bloke doing something similar to 'love letters' but they probably wouldn't call them that (except ironically) nor sign them off with "love". Kirky maybe? He has talked about the importance of loving your team mates. Anyway, times are changing and emotions, tears and loving language are becoming more acceptable, even among blokes.

A couple of thoughts about the B&F Award and its coverage: I thought the photos of Erin Phillips kissing her wife were a bit gratuitous - I don't recall that same kind of focus on Danger's wife kissing him when he won the Brownlow. Then again I suppose it may be more newsworthy in Erin & Tracy's case, since it is a newer phenomenon. Also, as best I could tell, there didn't seem to be any (many?) male partners among the players' tables which seemed a bit strange since at least Erin's wife was present. Presumably it wouldn't be that only female partners were allowed. I might be wrong though because I just saw the glimpses of footage from afl.com.au's footy feed or something. Maybe it's just that the majority of players didn't bring any partner at all? Maybe you can elucidate, Meg, since you watched quite a bit?

There have been some great suggestions for the AFLW comp next year including not having it overlap with the men's season and giving it prominence ahead of the JLT series. However, one that I am less sold on is the suggestion that the games should not be free because it 'devalues' the women's game. I don't agree with this at all. I'd be curious what the players think. I think it is great to attract the best crowds possible and keeping the community spirit and this is what free admission does. While I agree at some stage admission will and should be charged it is normal business practice to have a period of 'loss leading' while you are building the business. I think improving the players' pay is more important than charging admission but the two don't have to be linked. Better crowds makes for a more attractive product which, I daresay, would be more marketable on TV, which is where the greater money is going to come from to start off with. It's also great to get more footy in that period which is otherwise a bit of a frustrating period waiting for the footy season to properly resume.

Meg
30th March 2017, 11:26 AM
A couple of thoughts about the B&F Award and its coverage: I thought the photos of Erin Phillips kissing her wife were a bit gratuitous - I don't recall that same kind of focus on Danger's wife kissing him when he won the Brownlow. Then again I suppose it may be more newsworthy in Erin & Tracy's case, since it is a newer phenomenon. Also, as best I could tell, there didn't seem to be any (many?) male partners among the players' tables which seemed a bit strange since at least Erin's wife was present. Presumably it wouldn't be that only female partners were allowed. I might be wrong though because I just saw the glimpses of footage from afl.com.au's footy feed or something. Maybe it's just that the majority of players didn't bring any partner at all? Maybe you can elucidate, Meg, since you watched quite a bit?

The 'kiss your partner' immediately after the announcement of the Brownlow seems to be a mandatory part of the men's awards night so I like that the photo of Erin kissing her wife has been widely published. However I understand why you might wonder about the media's motives.

Erin gave an articulate, heart-felt speech in response to the award in which she thanked her family, her team mates, the AFL (particularly for bringing forward the timing of the comp. as, at age 30, she is nearing the end of her athletic career) and at the end an emotional, loving tribute to Tracy, her wife, which caused quite a few tears. Erin and Tracy have surely shown how out-of-touch Australia is on the issue of marriage equality.

In regard to partners at the function, there was a wonderful mixture: many players unaccompanied (or more accurately in the celebratory companionship of their team mates): players with their female partners, players with their male partners, Tayla Harris with both her parents; Ellie Blackburn with her mother; Chelsea Randall with her father; and Sarah Perkins with her brother.

And while a lot of the players 'glammed up' (and a couple wore tuxedos) I loved the fact that they still held themselves like athletes - sort of strode along in their gowns - none of that (to me) silly, pretentious pouting poses that seem to be obligatory from the Brownlow WAGs.

bloodspirit
30th March 2017, 12:33 PM
It's also great to hear that the AFLW season may be expanded (not sure if this is just going to be by adding a top-4 finals series, which might mean only one extra week): Lethlean open to AFLW finals series introduction (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/03/27/lethlean-open-to-aflw-finals-series-introduction/). However, I would still prefer to see this happen by starting the season earlier than seeing it cut across the men's season. Perhaps this isn't viable.

Another improvement will be expanding the clubs' lists. I certainly agree this should be the priority ahead of increasing the number of clubs in the comp. In future, expanding the number of clubs in the comp will be the same way to extend the season, as the number of H&A fixtures increases. So, I suppose, eventually, the men's and women's seasons are going to have to cut across each other. Maybe I just need to accept that.

aardvark
31st March 2017, 05:03 PM
I heard Daisy Pearce interviewed recently and she seemed to think it likely that there will be 8 teams playing home and away rounds starting in November 2017 with a final 4 finishing in the vacant week before the Men's Rnd 1. In my opinion Womens AFL is the best thing to happen to this country for years. It can't start again soon enough in my book.

Mug Punter
4th April 2017, 02:23 PM
I feel sorry for netball who has the very best players from around the globe playing in Super Netball which has struggled to gain press against a comp where the skills are poor with many of the players only taking it up recently. I genuinely enjoyed the AFLW season but it was first and foremost a victory for the AFL PR and Advertising machine.

The challenge now is to build a sport that is devoid of novelty value (spare me the endless lesbian couple statements) and built on elite skill level. Let's see how season 2 goes but I agree Season 1 has been an overwhelming success. I'd expand the comp to two teams (an extra Melbourne side and one in Geelong) and leave it at that until the skill level increases to a decent level.

As for those people clamouring for a second team I think it is worth noting that Sydney currently has only 22 senior women's sides, i.e.approx 500 players out a national participation of 380,000 of whom I suspect many are new players trying out the sport on the back of the recent publicity. It's na�ve to suggest we could add a second team any time soon given how dreadfully poor GWS were.

I suspect sports like netball are be glad of the general increase in awareness of women's sport but are also very wary of the AFL's power, they may well be regretting handing over the two expansion licences to AFL teams imo....

Hotpotato
5th April 2017, 09:04 PM
The Open Mike with Erin Phillips , her Dad , Mike and his daughter Kate (as an interviewer) was outstanding . Try to see it.

Erin gets $8k per season to play AFLW , however if she's injured playing footy her contract of $110k per annum playing Basketball is torn up!
The whole Erin story was fantastic .

aardvark
6th April 2017, 10:58 AM
Latest from Andrew Ireland......Swans eye AFLW side - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-04-06/swans-eye-aflw-side)

- - - Updated - - -

The Open Mike with Erin Phillips , her Dad , Mike and his daughter Kate (as an interviewer) was outstanding . Try to see it.

Erin gets $8k per season to play AFLW , however if she's injured playing footy her contract of $110k per annum playing Basketball is torn up!
The whole Erin story was fantastic .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsSJZjdB15k

Meg
6th April 2017, 11:24 PM
Thanks aardvark, good comments from Ireland. And I've now watched the Phillipsx2 Open Mike - very interesting!

bomber.
17th April 2017, 01:25 PM
There have been some great suggestions for the AFLW comp next year including not having it overlap with the men's season and giving it prominence ahead of the JLT series. However, one that I am less sold on is the suggestion that the games should not be free because it 'devalues' the women's game. I don't agree with this at all. I'd be curious what the players think. I think it is great to attract the best crowds possible and keeping the community spirit and this is what free admission does. While I agree at some stage admission will and should be charged it is normal business practice to have a period of 'loss leading' while you are building the business. I think improving the players' pay is more important than charging admission but the two don't have to be linked. Better crowds makes for a more attractive product which, I daresay, would be more marketable on TV, which is where the greater money is going to come from to start off with. It's also great to get more footy in that period which is otherwise a bit of a frustrating period waiting for the footy season to properly resume.

Initiating the AFLW is the best thing the AFL has done for years. There was definitely some novelty interest this season, but there was also a lot of very genuine footy interest.

Agree that the AFL needs to keep entry free to help build grass roots support and there's not doubt a good crowd atmosphere makes the game better to watch on TV. Plenty of time for paying for tickets once demand has built up.

Also some things that I reckon need to be looked at to improve the game.

16 players didn't work. Apart from the extra work load on players and the impact on run, only having 16 players cuts the number of outside players and some games turned into rolling mauls as a result. With 18 players, the extra's won't be in the contest and will help with outside options, as well as with running intensity. This has to open the game up and help with scoring.

Using a size 4 ball doesn't help either. Anyone who has kicked different sized footballs knows that although the smaller balls look like they travel, a full sized ball will travel metres further. The extra distance from a bigger ball has to help a bit with scoring and with opening the game up. I don't buy the argument either that the smaller average hand size of women means they need a smaller ball. 14/15 year old boys use a full size ball with and the players in the AFLW are elite sports people, so they'd have no problems.

The AFL and those associated also need to treat the AFLW as an elite competition in all regards, including by ensuring the game gets the best umpires and commentators. Some of the umpiring this season was bewildering and detracted from the spectacle and some of the commentary wasn't at the level required to develop the product.

Plenty to work on, but a great start and looking forward to AFLW 2.

aardvark
21st April 2017, 03:49 PM
AFL Canberra junior numbers return to glory days on back of AFL Women's success (http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/act-sport/afl-canberra-junior-numbers-return-to-glory-days-on-back-of-afl-womens-success-20170419-gvnsyo.html)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/afl-victorias-darren-flanigan-says-a-bumper-draft-crop-eligible-in-2019-justifies-holding-back-aflw-expansion/news-story/b724deb5bb7e82602c1ea22cdb44079d

Meg
21st April 2017, 03:52 PM
Thanks for link aardvark, good story. Go girls!

aardvark
21st April 2017, 04:06 PM
Here's an interesting vid. The first ever AFL womens game in Asia.

LiveStreaming: WOMEN'S MATCH | 2016 AFL Asian Championships - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dk5zmV_xT0)

Anyone recognize the boundary ump? Bradley Seymour esq.

bloodspirit
27th April 2017, 05:49 PM
I feel sorry for netball who has the very best players from around the globe playing in Super Netball which has struggled to gain press against a comp where the skills are poor with many of the players only taking it up recently. I genuinely enjoyed the AFLW season but it was first and foremost a victory for the AFL PR and Advertising machine.

The first time I read this comment I didn't have any idea what you were talking about and didn't much care. However, the other day I caught a glimpse of the netball on TV and it was amazing. Those athletes really do have sensational skills and athleticism (I would have to say better than AFLW - at this stage and on average) and, yet, like you, I can certainly seeing it lose out to AFLW. Then again maybe a win for women's sport is a win for women's sport in general? I don't know. Have the netball people spoken out about this?

dimelb
27th April 2017, 06:03 PM
The first time I read this comment I didn't have any idea what you were talking about and didn't much care. However, the other day I caught a glimpse of the netball on TV and it was amazing. Those athletes really do have sensational skills and athleticism (I would have to say better than AFLW - at this stage and on average) and, yet, like you, I can certainly seeing it lose out to AFLW. Then again maybe a win for women's sport is a win for women's sport in general? I don't know. Have the netball people spoken out about this?

Perhaps we could borrow their time - or better, pay for it - to teach our blokes how to land on their feet after a jump.

The advantage of netball (and basketball) over AFL is its "made for television" court size. The games certainly are great watching. I wonder how high are their ratings.

The other question is whether the AFL will charge for entry and how it will affect the crowds if they do.

aardvark
3rd May 2017, 01:29 PM
12,500 new female players in 500 new teams in Victoria this year. Auskick up 20%. The revolution is here.

dimelb
3rd May 2017, 03:43 PM
12,500 new female players in 500 new teams in Victoria this year. Auskick up 20%. The revolution is here.

Truly remarkable numbers.

Mug Punter
3rd May 2017, 08:21 PM

I spoke to a very senior netball person a few weeks ago and she didn't seem concerned. Her opinion was that the general increase of the women's sports pie was bigger than the threat, and she was a bit dismissive of the AFLW to be honest.

I can see the bigger pie argument but I'd dismiss AFLW as a direct competitor at their peril if I was Netball, Women's AFL is really a new entrant into the female sports landscape. Sure they will bring new participants in but I think they will naturally poach female athletes that previously would have chosen netball and I think that commercially they have already been beaten. Not to mention the current Boardroom Shenanigans at Netball Australia

- - - Updated - - -

The other question is whether the AFL will charge for entry and how it will affect the crowds if they do.

I think it will be free for at least another season,

I'd like to see a notional entry fee, say $5 for adults or $10 for a family, with all proceeds going directly into grassroots womens AFL programmes

aardvark
9th May 2017, 05:50 PM
AFL Women's set for expansion in 2019 - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-09/afl-womens-set-for-expansion-in-2019)

All the other 10 teams can apply for 2019 with preference given to the 5 clubs with provisional licenses.
I'm not holding my breath but I hope the Swans have their problems sorted in time to submit. I'm really looking forward to a Swans AFLW team to support.

aardvark
26th May 2017, 12:58 PM
Vic Country vs Vic Metro - NAB AFL Women�s Under 18 Championships - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkKgm_Lkyig)

Vic Metro V Vic Country U/18s 2.30pm Saturday 27/5. If your concerned about the standard of Womens footy check out the next generation.

Mug Punter
15th June 2017, 09:42 PM
It will be interesting to see where the AFLW lands.

Personally I hope they just don't do a copy and paste of the AFL.

I think it works having a high intensity comp with it's own space. Id you try and run it concurrently with the AFL it will just get swallowed up.

For mine, you'd have a team for each AFL team eventually plus a team from Tassie and Canberra. Two Conferences with 10 game regular season (one team once plus a local derby). Playoffs and Conference Champions that then play-off for the titles.

Makes in a three month season, play it from Feb to April which then allows the elite players to join their community clubs for the back end of their normal seasons.

aardvark
10th July 2017, 09:59 AM
NSW/ACT U/18 Girls have 3 big games this week all streamed live....Check out Alyce Parker, this girl can play!

Youth Girls in for a big week on the Gold Coast (http://aflnswact.com.au/youth-girls-gold-coast/)

Mug Punter
27th September 2017, 08:22 PM
An aggressive expansion of the AFLW announced today.

My thoughts are that the quality will drop substantially in 2020 when we go from 10 to 14 teams but that the appeal of the competition will be largely unaffected.

The massive expansion increases elite level investment and provides a much more robust competition. And a much bigger media and broadcast presence.

Any dip in on field quality will be short term as the huge pipeline of young girls starts to flow through.

aardvark
25th October 2017, 05:15 PM
Nocookies | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/private-girls-schools-in-sydney-start-new-afl-comp/news-story/e09347dcd9e0e86d098ad83e40c39e12)

Private girls schools in Sydney start new comp.

aardvark
25th June 2018, 02:27 PM
So with Port entering the SANFLW next year we become the only AFL club without a senior Womens team.:frown

CureTheSane
25th June 2018, 02:39 PM
I'm still ok with that.
Still have big reservations as to the medium to long term viability of the AFLW.
I'd like to see where it stands after some of the wow factor dissipates.
I hope, however, that it continues to grow and develop.

bloodspirit
2nd January 2019, 10:55 PM
The rise and rise of women’s football (https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/12/27/the-rise-and-rise-of-womens-football-2/)

Interesting article about the growth of the women's game.

Meg
2nd February 2019, 06:50 PM
AFLW 2019 season just started with opening match Geelong v Collingwood. First opportunity to watch the new rule re more space for the kick-in after a point score.

Good crowd from what I’ve seen - new Geelong team and being played in Geelong.

Mel_C
2nd February 2019, 07:02 PM
I really wish we had a team. Looks like it won't be until 2021.
It's difficult to remain interested when there is no one to follow.

Meg
2nd February 2019, 07:07 PM

I understand that point of view but I really enjoy watching it. Can enjoy the football without the stress [emoji3]!

But it will be even better when the Swans eventually enter the comp. I’m confident we will have a strong team when the time comes given the careful planning that is going into the (long) lead-in.

bloodspirit
11th February 2019, 02:00 PM

I agree. I want to be interested but with it not being Swans and with the relatively low scoring I am not that motivated. I was planning to go on Friday night (and to take a friend's daughter) but bailed out with the weather forecast. Just as well given it rained pretty heavily. Bring on the Swans AFLW team asap!

chalbilto
24th February 2019, 11:21 AM
I have started to watch a couple of games this weekend nut lost interest very quickly, but to be fair I also tried to watch the AFLX and also got bored. I will however be interested in the AFL trial matches.

S.S. Bleeder
23rd April 2019, 01:37 PM
An article in the Daily Telegraph stating that the coalition will contribute $15m to the new Moore Park headquarters if reelected;
A Sydney Swans women’s AFL team will be ready for the 2021 season with the Coalition on Tuesday confirming funding to ensure a high-performance centre for female athletes will be built.
The Coalition will promise the Swans the final $15 million needed to build state-of-the-art headquarters and community centre at Moore Park.
It means the club will finally have dedicated female facilities — a far cry from their current training grounds, which have just one female shower.
The $55 million project will transform the Royal Hall of Industries at Moore Park, combining the Swans’ mens and womens AFL teams, the NSW Swifts netball team, as well as an expanded Swans Academy for girls and boys.
Swans chief Tom Harley said the facility was the “biggest off-field announcement since the Swans moved to Sydney in 1982”.
“When the AFLW competition was launched we weren’t in the position to bid for a licence due to lack of facilities. This changes that,” he said.
Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said this was “a game-changer for women’s sport in NSW”.

Mel_C
23rd April 2019, 08:17 PM
An article in the Daily Telegraph stating that the coalition will contribute $15m to the new Moore Park headquarters if reelected;

I read that the money has been allocated in the budget and is not dependent on them winning the election. Regardless, this is excellent news and I can't wait until we have a women's team that I can support 😊.

bloodspirit
21st May 2019, 05:08 PM
It's pretty quiet here.

Two things:

1. I thought the standard of the AFLW improved a lot this year in the little I saw. So, although the increase in teams will dilute the talent it will be offset by a very fast growing talent pool.

2. I vaguely seem to recall that the Swans aren't planning on joining the comp until 2022?

Bring on the Swans AFLW team - can't wait to support them and watch them play like girls!

bloodspirit
12th September 2019, 04:54 PM
Hello women's footy fans!

All of you out there may be interested in this brief article about the award of Life Membership to the Sydney AFL at this year's Phelan and Mostyn medal awards to a bunch of Sydney Swans members who pioneered the Sydney Women's AFL competition: Pioneers delivered Life Membership - sydneyswans.com.au (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-09-11/pioneers-delivered-life-membership). For the record, well done to Amanda Farrugia won the Mostyn medal for being the best player (while simulataneously being the GWS captain).

bloodspirit
2nd October 2019, 05:47 PM
Interesting news article: Australian research shows female athletes have a higher rate of concussion and a prolonged recovery time - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-02/female-athletes-have-higher-rates-of-concussion-than-males-study/11538294).

bloodspirit
29th October 2019, 10:27 AM
When are we going to join the AFLW? Could it be as soon as a year from now? In this (quite dated) article Swans reaffirm desire for women's footy - sydneyswans.com.au (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-06-15/swans-reaffirm-commitment-to-womens-footy) Andrew Ireland is quoted as saying:

“We’ve written to the AFL to say that our facilities and a ground in the eastern suburbs won’t be ready for 2019, but we do want to apply for a licence, and we’re hopeful we will be in a place to do that from 2020 – we think that we can achieve our new facilities and ground in that timeframe,” Ireland said.

It seems we are on track with the facilities and the ground but clearly we are not joining the upcoming season but I have the vague impression that we (and our Academy graduates) won't be ready in a year either. Does anyone know? Meg?

bloodspirit
29th October 2019, 10:44 AM
Incidentally, I reckon the AFLW is really underfunded! This article Landslide 'yes' vote ensures 2020 AFLW season will go ahead (https://womens.afl/news/18518/landslide-yes-vote-ensures-2020-aflw-season-will-go-ahead) shows that this year each AFLW club's TPP is less than half a million p.a. - this is not even 4% of the TPP for men and not that much more than the average salary for a single male player (which is about $380K). Sure the AFLW's season is shorter, the crowds are smaller etc etc but it is growing fast and, more to the point, we (and surely this includes the AFL??) want it to keep growing fast.

Mel_C
29th October 2019, 07:06 PM
When are we going to join the AFLW? Could it be as soon as a year from now? In this (quite dated) article Swans reaffirm desire for women's footy - sydneyswans.com.au (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-06-15/swans-reaffirm-commitment-to-womens-footy) Andrew Ireland is quoted as saying:

“We’ve written to the AFL to say that our facilities and a ground in the eastern suburbs won’t be ready for 2019, but we do want to apply for a licence, and we’re hopeful we will be in a place to do that from 2020 – we think that we can achieve our new facilities and ground in that timeframe,” Ireland said.

It seems we are on track with the facilities and the ground but clearly we are not joining the upcoming season but I have the vague impression that we (and our Academy graduates) won't be ready in a year either. Does anyone know? Meg?
I'm sure I read somewhere that we are aiming for 2021. Our new facilities will be completed by then.

bloodspirit
29th October 2019, 09:52 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that we are aiming for 2021. Our new facilities will be completed by then.

Well it's great to know that someone else is out here!

2021 sounds about right. But does that mean in one year or two? One, right? I think the facilities will be ready for next season.

Mel_C
30th October 2019, 06:39 PM
Well it's great to know that someone else is out here!

2021 sounds about right. But does that mean in one year or two? One, right? I think the facilities will be ready for next season.

From what I recall the facilities are supposed to be ready sometime next year (2020) but too late for the start of the AFLW season so that's why we are aiming for the 2021 season.

bloodspirit
4th November 2019, 11:17 AM
Update: I've today learned from Tom Harley that we are not going to join the AFLW until at least 2023. Tom Harley said he doesn't think the AFL will expand the AFLW competition again until the next broadcast deal. :frown

Mel_C
4th November 2019, 07:38 PM
Update: I've today learned from Tom Harley that we are not going to join the AFLW until at least 2023. Tom Harley said he doesn't think the AFL will expand the AFLW competition again until the next broadcast deal. :frown
Hmm that's interesting considering they have expanded the competition 2 years in a row. However, I think having a 3 year gap is a good thing because I don't think there is currently the talent out there to support 18 teams.

bloodspirit
5th November 2019, 09:59 AM
Yes, Mel_C, your logic is sound. Harley also said something like while the AFLW seems to be going well on the surface, it has a lot of issues and they reared their head during the recent CBA negotiation. However, from my point of view, it's very disappointing because I'm really impatient to have an AFLW team to start cheering for and I told him so. I also expressed concern that we would miss out on the first crop of graduates from our Academy and he said no, even by 2023 they'll still only be 17 and a year from graduating.

Mel_C
5th November 2019, 07:11 PM
Yes I'm also looking forward to having a team to support .

R-1
18th November 2019, 03:01 PM
In the mean time I'll just keep supporting the northern sides, the Suns even have a couple Canberrans now

bloodspirit
3rd February 2020, 05:32 PM
In case you don't know: AFL House surprised to discover AFLW starts this Friday - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself (https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/afl-house-surprised-to-discover-aflw-starts-this-friday).

bloodspirit
7th February 2020, 11:10 AM
Four new AFLW teams could be good for the league, even if it spreads the talent pool thin - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/aflw-returns-with-the-unfortunate-trolls-back-too/11940608)

bloodspirit
7th February 2020, 11:28 AM
Good article by 'our own' Brandon Jack showing how stats can be used and abused in relation to AFLW and injuries in particular: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/aflw-injury-stats-need-to-probe-for-more-than-a-knee-jerk-reaction-20191206-p53hng.html.

bloodspirit
11th February 2020, 03:07 PM
Titus back in top form: Man’s meltdown over AFLW enters fourth year - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself (https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/man-s-meltdown-over-aflw-enters-fourth-year).

bloodspirit
28th July 2021, 01:27 AM
The first ever two Swans Academy girls drafted, both by GWS (and ahead of their own Academy girls): AFLW: An historic night as two Swans get drafted (sydneyswans.com.au) (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/988595/aflw-an-historic-night-as-two-swans-get-drafted). Well done Jess Doyle and Georgie Fowler!

bloodspirit
28th January 2022, 02:55 PM
GWS v Bulldogs at Henson Park 5.10 pm today. $10 admission, kids free (I think). I'm thinking of going. Glorious weather (for watching footy - not sure about for playing)!

TheBloods
22nd February 2022, 10:07 PM
Just read that Rowbottoms sister got more touches in a game than he has in nearly 50 , 25 ! In the womens comp where they can barely get over 20 touches . In her first year !

Beaten to that milestone by his little sister , if that doesnt get him to pull his finger out this yr i dont know what will ! Thats if theres anything there