Saturday, March 4, 2017

Brisbane Lions v Redland at South Pine Sports Complex, 10.30am
Southport v Aspley at Fankhauser Reserve, 3pm

Friday, March 10, 2017

GWS Giants v Sydney Swans at Tom Wills Oval, 3.30pm

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Southport v Gold Coast Suns Academy at Metricon Stadium, 9am
Brisbane Lions v Labrador at Cooke-Murphy Reserve, 11.30am
Canberra Demons v Albury at Dairy Farmers Stadium, 12noon (squad 1) & 2pm (squad 2)
Aspley v Redland at South Pine Sports Complex, 3pm

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Gold Coast Suns v Aspley (venue TBC)
Redland v Southport at Fankhauser Reserve, 3pm
Canberra Demons (squad 1) v Queanbeyan at Dairy Farmers Stadium, 2pm
Canberra Demons (squad 2) v Belconnen at Dairy Farmers Stadium, 4pm
Sydney University v Sydney Swans at BISP, 1pm

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Gold Coast Suns v Brisbane Lions (venue TBC)
Sydney University v GWS Giants at BISP, 1pm

Mug Punter
4th February 2017, 10:30 PM
2017 NEAFL Pre-season Practice Match Schedule

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Brisbane Lions v Redland at South Pine Sports Complex, 10.30am
Southport v Aspley at Fankhauser Reserve, 3pm

Friday, March 10, 2017

GWS Giants v Sydney Swans at Tom Wills Oval, 3.30pm

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Southport v Gold Coast Suns Academy at Metricon Stadium, 9am
Brisbane Lions v Labrador at Cooke-Murphy Reserve, 11.30am
Canberra Demons v Albury at Dairy Farmers Stadium, 12noon (squad 1) & 2pm (squad 2)
Aspley v Redland at South Pine Sports Complex, 3pm

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Gold Coast Suns v Aspley (venue TBC)
Redland v Southport at Fankhauser Reserve, 3pm
Canberra Demons (squad 1) v Queanbeyan at Dairy Farmers Stadium, 2pm
Canberra Demons (squad 2) v Belconnen at Dairy Farmers Stadium, 4pm
Sydney University v Sydney Swans at BISP, 1pm

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Gold Coast Suns v Brisbane Lions (venue TBC)
Sydney University v GWS Giants at BISP, 1pm

Big season for Canberra.

They used to be a powerhouse football wise and miles ahead of Sydney but they are a basketcase now. Only four decent clubs (Ainslie, Queenbeyan, East Lake and Belconnen) makes for a rubbish league and not even all the $ they get down there makes any difference

56-14
5th February 2017, 11:06 AM
Thanks Ugg - looking forward to your reports on both practice matches.

ugg
6th February 2017, 02:23 PM
It'll only be the second one, there's no way I'm getting to Tom Wills Oval on a Friday afternoon.

giant
7th February 2017, 06:17 PM
It'll only be the second one, there's no way I'm getting to Tom Wills Oval on a Friday afternoon.

NARF. Where the heck is it?

ugg
7th February 2017, 07:51 PM
It's in Olympic Park. Near the Tennis Centre and next to P3. It's a really awful place to watch footy as a spectator. There's no elevated viewing, no seating and the only shade is the Giants office behind the goals at one end. Also not that close to the Olympic Park or Concord West train stations. There's two bus routes 525 and 526 that's a better option for public transport. Of course you can park at P3 but it's costly. Other option is to park at Bicentennial Park and walk across

bloodspirit
23rd February 2017, 12:46 PM
Just considering the fixture this year: is it weird that we are fixture to play three teams thrice and two teams only once? The teams we play most are all the other AFL teams: Giants, Suns and Lions. Still, seems strange to me.

ugg
9th March 2017, 08:30 PM
Just considering the fixture this year: is it weird that we are fixture to play three teams thrice and two teams only once? The teams we play most are all the other AFL teams: Giants, Suns and Lions. Still, seems strange to me.
I believe the Swans and by extension the rest of the AFL Clubs request to play each other more. After all their main aim is to get the highest quality of opposition to tear their fringe players against

Ocker
10th March 2017, 08:23 AM
Attending today's practice game will also have the additional problem of competing with 110,000 people try to get to Adele's concert that starts at 7:30pm!

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

royboy42
10th March 2017, 10:33 AM
Attending today's practice game will also have the additional problem of competing with 110,000 people try to get to Adele's concert that starts at 7:30pm!

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
And I'm told all parking is sold out.I doubt if they'd sell any for the 330 game when Adele starts at 730 or so.
Think the Ressies will be playing in front of their coaches, and not many others.
I hope someone makes it tho, so we can get a bit of news.

10th March 2017, 02:42 PM
Really hope someone is there to report on who is playing from the 27 named for the Saints game. I'll be waiting to see if any reports filter in from 3.30pm.

Surely we don't play all four ruckmen against the Saints when the side is limited to 24, unless Tippett plays predominantly FF?

Mountain Man
10th March 2017, 03:21 PM
Play of the day is to Ugg for hint about parking in Bi-centennial park. Easy as can be.
Laidlaw is kitted up so that is one omission from Sunday

10th March 2017, 03:49 PM
Play of the day is to Ugg for hint about parking in Bi-centennial park. Easy as can be.
Laidler is kitted up so that is one omission from Sunday
Thanks Mountain Man, keep those reports coming in.

Mountain Man
10th March 2017, 03:57 PM
Sinclair also playing today

Mountain Man
10th March 2017, 04:02 PM
Pretty windy on top of the hill and scrappy as a result
Sinclair and Maibaum both playing
Our back 6 pretty solid and mostly tippies in forwards with Rose - and Pink
B Jack has been in back line.
Edwards on wing and running and bouncing; caught once but definitely doing a break lines thing
1/4 time probably 4 goals Giants to 2

ugg
10th March 2017, 04:06 PM
Aliir I presume is playing?

ugg
10th March 2017, 04:14 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Strong opening quarter in today&#39;s <a href="https://twitter.com/neaflofficial">@neaflofficial</a> practice match at Tom Wills Oval. GWS with the slight upper hand but tight contest so far. <a href="https://t.co/2N7mTYAxZ7">pic.twitter.com/2N7mTYAxZ7</a></p>&mdash; Sydney Swans (@sydneyswans) <a href="https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/840066384415535106">March 10, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think that's Newman behind Sinclair?

I also make out Laidler, Talia, O'Riordan, Fisher, Murray, Leonardis, Rose

Think the guy in front of Sinclair might be Ronke, but haven't seen him in the flesh before.

ugg
10th March 2017, 04:24 PM
Aliir held back in the 1st quarter

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We&#39;ve had to wait a quarter but <a href="https://twitter.com/aliir_mayom">@aliir_mayom</a> is into the game for his first run of 2017 ?? <a href="https://t.co/RoJaOiXefT">pic.twitter.com/RoJaOiXefT</a></p>&mdash; Sydney Swans (@sydneyswans) <a href="https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/840069176140034049">March 10, 2017</a></blockquote>

swansrob
10th March 2017, 04:26 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Strong opening quarter in today's <a href="https://twitter.com/neaflofficial">@neaflofficial</a> practice match at Tom Wills Oval. GWS with the slight upper hand but tight contest so far. <a href="https://t.co/2N7mTYAxZ7">pic.twitter.com/2N7mTYAxZ7</a></p>� Sydney Swans (@sydneyswans) <a href="https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/840066384415535106">March 10, 2017</a></blockquote>

Think the guy in front of Sinclair might be Ronke, but haven't seen him in the flesh before.

No Aliir?

- - - Updated - - -

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Strong opening quarter in today's <a href="https://twitter.com/neaflofficial">@neaflofficial</a> practice match at Tom Wills Oval. GWS with the slight upper hand but tight contest so far. <a href="https://t.co/2N7mTYAxZ7">pic.twitter.com/2N7mTYAxZ7</a></p>� Sydney Swans (@sydneyswans) <a href="https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/840066384415535106">March 10, 2017</a></blockquote>

No Aliir?

10th March 2017, 04:31 PM
Aliir on managed game time, probably wait for the first quarter sting to get out of the way before he gets a run.

liz
10th March 2017, 04:33 PM
You can just see the top of Aliir's head in the quarter-time huddle picture. He's standing behind Talia.

Mountain Man
10th March 2017, 04:39 PM
Dawson and Allir came on after 1/4 time. Allir a bit rusty
Jack continues as a back man.
Oroidon kicked the fist goal of the second quarter

Mark26
10th March 2017, 04:47 PM
Thanks Mountain Man. I've been trying to glean something from social media about today's match, but the coverage is appalling. No live stream (which I get as it's a practice match), but Twitter and Facebook have been woeful.

Auntie.Gerald
10th March 2017, 05:04 PM
West coast only played 22 against Melbourne

We might doing 23 ?

In for the NEAFL =

Newman
COR
Sinclair
Laidler

ugg
10th March 2017, 05:07 PM
O'Riordan isn't in the 27 for the JLT game.

Auntie.Gerald
10th March 2017, 05:08 PM
Yep apologies
Just remembered

- - - Updated - - -

Is edwards playingtoday in the NEAFL ???

ugg
10th March 2017, 05:13 PM
Yes you can see him in the background of this Giants' tweet

<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="840072004824842246"></twitterwidget><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Half time in our NEAFL trial game at the WestConnex Centre against the Swans. <br><br>Our AFL listed players have been in the thick of the action. <a href="https://t.co/cb17yFYNmw">pic.twitter.com/cb17yFYNmw</a></p>&mdash; GWS GIANTS (@GWSGIANTS) <a href="https://twitter.com/GWSGIANTS/status/840072004824842246">March 10, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

Auntie.Gerald
10th March 2017, 05:33 PM
Thanks ugg

Any comments would be great to hear re players like Edwards or in particular anyone who fired up and played strong ????

Auntie.Gerald
10th March 2017, 06:38 PM
SwNnies 4 goals to zip in final qtr

Well done lads a win against gws two weeks in a row :)

10th March 2017, 10:28 PM
Sydney Swans defender Aliir Aliir ticked the first box in his return to the senior team after finishing Friday�s NEAFL practice match at Olympic Park unscathed.

Not only unscathed but as one of the best performed in the hitout against GWS.

The 22-year-old, in his first competitive run since last year's Preliminary Final, was injected into the game in the second quarter before successfully running out his allotted minutes at Tom Wills Oval.

Trailing by three goals at three-quarter-time, the NEAFL Swans booted 4.1 to 0.5 to run out 8.6 (54) to 6.16 (52) victors.

It didn't take long for the No.36 to find his his feet, gaining an early touch before quickly adapting to the tempo of the game.

Aliir�s smarts and composure, traits which footy fans witnessed in his 13 games last season, was on show from the beginning.

He intercepted well and took the game on numerous times to earn full praise from the coaches on the boundary line.

Ruckman Callum Sinclair and defender Jeremy Laidler were also sound, while Shaun Edwards collected plenty of the ball across half-back.

Auntie.Gerald
10th March 2017, 10:43 PM
Come on edwards

Keep lifting !!!!

Aprilbr
10th March 2017, 11:40 PM
All good news by the sound of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auntie.Gerald
11th March 2017, 05:11 PM
Afternoonall
Does anyone know if this trial was u tubed like a lot of the NEAFL games last season ?

Mountain Man
11th March 2017, 08:16 PM
I didn't see any cameras at the game.

Thinking more about the game, a few more observations. On the good side was Allir, who played 3 quarters and was his excellent self both in marking and taking off; he has a fine 'wriggle" as he evades tackles. The other standout for me was Laidler who marked everything that came his way - often by (what appeared to me as) pushes, but he was never pinged.

I thought Edwards was very pleasing as he certainly attempted to attack every time he was near the ball. He ran into trouble a few times, but made space on others; kicked an excellent goal, and was encouraging. If Towers is a deer in the headlights sort of guy, Edwards is a kangaroo running straight into the headlights sort of guy. Sinclair was also very active. He did most of the rucking, was the only tall outlet, and, his marks stuck (compared with his (deserved) reputation. Newman was always at the contest, but I didn't notice an enormous output.

The game was played on the Giants training ground, but they were far worse than we were at reading the wind, and wasted shots on goal, and kicks out on the full. But, they seemed to maintain some structure, while our boys were intense on pressure, and hunted in groups without much set up for effective clearances.

The disappointments for me were Leonardis, who I noticed was around the ball, but on his heels and rarely got a real clearance. Rose seemed to play only 1 quarter; tho a top up 53 had the same attack on the ball and a similar build and hair colour. B Jack played the first half in defence, but then moved to centre bounces. He won the ball, but was very wasteful.

Finally, there were some dozen of the seniors watching. I was touched at 3/4 time to see Mills and Marsh around Allir talking to him and encouraging a fellow backman.

- - - Updated - - -

I also liked Fisher, who started at the centre bounces all 1st half, and was very busy later in the forward line.

11th March 2017, 08:18 PM
Nice to hear a dozen of the seniors were there.

So all positive reports on Aliir, great, as we'll need him.

liz
11th March 2017, 08:29 PM
Mountain Man - what was the relative strength of the two sides like? The Swans must have been bereft of most of those who would normally play in the middle at NEAFL level if we had a full senior contingent available, those on the fringes of making the senior team for round one. I mean the likes of Foote, Robinson, Towers. Rose is another who usually gets good midfield minutes at NEAFL level, even though he's a long way from getting a run there at senior level. I know the Giants had Hopper playing. Maybe they had Perryman and Setterfield too? (all genuine midfield types). Who was doing the grunt work for the Swans?

Also, did Dawson get a run? How did he look?

Mountain Man
11th March 2017, 08:55 PM
I think we had 15 listed players and 8 toppies. I had the impression they had fewer high jersey numbers than us, which might be right given their list size and fewer injuries.

The only GWS player I was conscious of was Tim Mohr, who was an 'original' Giant, and certainly a powerful unit as a defender - particularly as our forwards were mostly top up or very much rookies

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Dawson come on at 1/4 time with Allir, and looked composed

Scottee
11th March 2017, 11:20 PM
I didn't see any cameras at the game.

Thinking more about the game, a few more observations. On the good side was Allir, who played 3 quarters and was his excellent self both in marking and taking off; he has a fine 'wriggle" as he evades tackles. The other standout for me was Laidler who marked everything that came his way - often by (what appeared to me as) pushes, but he was never pinged.

I thought Edwards was very pleasing as he certainly attempted to attack every time he was near the ball. He ran into trouble a few times, but made space on others; kicked an excellent goal, and was encouraging. If Towers is a deer in the headlights sort of guy, Edwards is a kangaroo running straight into the headlights sort of guy. Sinclair was also very active. He did most of the rucking, was the only tall outlet, and, his marks stuck (compared with his (deserved) reputation. Newman was always at the contest, but I didn't notice an enormous output.

The game was played on the Giants training ground, but they were far worse than we were at reading the wind, and wasted shots on goal, and kicks out on the full. But, they seemed to maintain some structure, while our boys were intense on pressure, and hunted in groups without much set up for effective clearances.

The disappointments for me were Leonardis, who I noticed was around the ball, but on his heels and rarely got a real clearance. Rose seemed to play only 1 quarter; tho a top up 53 had the same attack on the ball and a similar build and hair colour. B Jack played the first half in defence, but then moved to centre bounces. He won the ball, but was very wasteful.

Finally, there were some dozen of the seniors watching. I was touched at 3/4 time to see Mills and Marsh around Allir talking to him and encouraging a fellow backman.

- - - Updated - - -

I also liked Fisher, who started at the centre bounces all 1st half, and was very busy later in the forward line.
Thanks for the report MM!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

ugg
13th March 2017, 08:00 AM
Fisher also gets praise from Shaw

North East Australian Football League: Swans last quarter burst seals victory (http://neafl.com.au/index.php?id=16&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2017&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=03&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=5875&cHash=618ea4cbd9716b4cb5bb40d8f90efaff)

bloodspirit
13th March 2017, 11:09 AM
Thanks very much MM. Seems you were one of the only posters watching so your observations are all the more valuable. I especially liked your description of Shaun Edwards: "If Towers is a deer in the headlights sort of guy, Edwards is a kangaroo running straight into the headlights sort of guy." :D Also sharp observations re the watching seniors and Fisher. Bravo!

barracuda
13th March 2017, 02:51 PM
How did the top ups go? Osborne, Mapleson etc?

Auntie.Gerald
13th March 2017, 03:03 PM
geese i hope Edwards gets a chance in Snrs soon

ugg
15th March 2017, 10:32 PM
Here's this year's NEAFL u19 dev squad

http://neafl.com.au/fileadmin/templates/gallery/NEAFL/2017/Documents/2017_Team_Lists/Sydney_Swans_U19_Academy.pdf

wolftone57
16th March 2017, 05:35 PM
Ta MM. Very good review. I would love to see Dawson play well in the last trial. He has had such bad luck with injury and there is huge talent just waiting to be released.

Now to this weekend. When and where is the game again? Swans v Sydney Uni? X will be playing for Uni. I'm pretty certain his degree at uni is not in Maths, business, economics or commerce. Arts maybe? Nothing wrong with that of course.

I am looking forward to having a look if the game is at Sydney Uni. Could you put the details up please Ugg? Thanks guys.

liz
16th March 2017, 06:02 PM
I am looking forward to having a look if the game is at Sydney Uni. Could you put the details up please Ugg? Thanks guys.

The details are already on the first page of this thread.

S.S. Bleeder
16th March 2017, 09:44 PM
Now to this weekend. When and where is the game again? Swans v Sydney Uni? X will be playing for Uni. I'm pretty certain his degree at uni is not in Maths, business, economics or commerce. Arts maybe? Nothing wrong with that of course.

I believe that XR is doing Contract Negotiation.

ugg
18th March 2017, 01:00 PM
Swans playing Cameron Edwards Rose O'Riordan Dawson Hayward Aliir Leonardis Pink Laidler Towers Foote Bjack Murray Talia Sinclair Naismith Ronke Newman

Mountain Man
18th March 2017, 01:12 PM
Interesting no Sinclair, but Naismith - swap from last week's line up

- - - Updated - - -

woops Sinclair AND Naismith

- - - Updated - - -

No Fisher

Scottee
18th March 2017, 01:28 PM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

No Fisher
KJ?

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

liz
18th March 2017, 01:30 PM
No Kjack? If he were right to play, I think they'd have him play NEAFL. Must be a serious doubt whether he'll be available next weekend.

I'm surprised they're allowed to play Cameron and Foote. Normally, players who've played all three senior pre-season games are meant to have the weekend off. Maybe there's a relaxation for those who only had limited minutes in the senior practice games.

ugg
18th March 2017, 01:33 PM
Fox Fisher Maibaum playing as well. No Kjack (yet?)

ugg
18th March 2017, 03:30 PM
Full time @swansreserves 13.14 (92) Uni 3.2 (20) Goals: Edwards 2 Towers 2 Cameron Dawson Hayward Leonardis Ronke Murray Fisher Pink #49

Fox didn't play after some time in q2. Rose I think sat out last quarter. Aliir played the full game. No KJ at all. Naismith perhaps a corkie

liz
18th March 2017, 03:33 PM
Did X play?

And how did the important Swans players go - Aliir in particular?

ugg
18th March 2017, 03:53 PM
Yes X played and kicked two of their three goals. But they were quite opportunistic ones due to Swans errors rather than any great play by himself. Hiscox played the second half.

Aliir looked great moved well and used the ball smartly. Towers was just okay he had his moment but didn't dominate or put in a showing that screamed "pick me" for next week. Towers started in the midfield with Dawson and Fox and for me Dawson was the pick of the bunch. Very good field kick

I'm not sure the reason for Fox's withdrawal. Either it was preplanned with an eye for next week or it's an injury in which case it's tough luck for him as he would have been in line for a spot esp with kizza not playing

Hayward didn't get much of the ball but kicked a fantastic individual goal one out in the forward fifty. Has great work ethic and along with Pink applied plenty of pressure up forward.

Laidler very professional down back, beat his opponents at most contests. Played out the game with great intensity and combined well with Aliir down back to clear the danger. Newman and O'Riordan were basically unsighted in the first half but had stronger second halves. Newman in particular back to some of his 2016 form with good distribution off halfback

Maibaum and Talia shared the duties on Richards. Maibaum started well on X winning their first contest but then proceeded to rashly play on and gave away a HTB fk and goal to Richards. Made a few mistakes when under pressure but still looks a good prospect

Foote off half back was okay but I don't like him in this position. His strengths are his tank and his tackling and I don't think they get fully utilised in this new role. His kicking is not that flash either

Rucks. Sinclair definitely the better in the first half some great Tap work in particular around our forward 50. Naismith responded in the second half with a much stronger showing in particular using his weight and height advantage over his opponent. Cameron got scant minutes in the ruck but looked dangerous forward. A few almost-marks, might do better in drier conditions.

Edwards looked better as a forward and kicked a couple of goals. He used his pace judiciously but the end product in particular his kicking inside fifty still needs development. Ronke played mostly half forward, got some midfield time late as did Fisher. Ronke a good competitor but not quite on the same wavelength as his teammates today

BJ despite being advertised as our new small defender at the Guernsey presentation dinner played wing early in the game and inside midfielder in the fourth. Like most of the other Swans today his second half was the better one

Leonardis also forward has a tendency to look for the fend off as his first option in traffic. Perhaps a sign that his hand balling in close needs development

56-14
18th March 2017, 04:44 PM
Thanks ugg - appreciate your report.

With this scoreline, not a good workout.
(The step up from this level to AFL is huge.)

troyjones2525
18th March 2017, 06:13 PM
Yes thanks Ugg. Great report as usual and looking forward for more of the same this year with the ressies!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Ludwig
18th March 2017, 06:40 PM
Maybe I'm reading a bit too much into how this game affects who plays round 1, but I will assume that those players who appeared in all 3 JLT games, but not this Neafl practice match, will play round 1, meaning, primarily, Marsh, Melican and Florent.

It would appear that Aliir will play round 1, but KJ will miss.

With quite an inexperienced backline, I doubt we will play take any other inexperienced backmen into the game, which would eliminate Newman and O'Riordan. If Marsh, Melican and Aliir all play, there doesn't seem to be a spot for Laidler.

Fox played in all the JLT games. I like his endeavour, but thought he looked out of sync with the rest of the team and needs some time in reserves to tune up his game. The coaches must like him to have played him over many other aspirants.

I think Towers was played today since he missed the first JLT game with appendicitis, and is likely to play round 1.

I hope Dawson get to play round 1. He's a very promising prospect and there should be spot open if KJ misses.

Edwards and Foote also contenders for that last spot in the side.

We'll be missing 5 of our regular senior players, but will still take quite a good side into round 1. It appears that we may take 7 players with less than 15 games experience into round 1. Sounds like a lot, but I think they will give a good accounting of themselves.

MattW
18th March 2017, 10:53 PM
Maybe I'm reading a bit too much into how this game affects who plays round 1, but I will assume that those players who appeared in all 3 JLT games, but not this Neafl practice match, will play round 1, meaning, primarily, Marsh, Melican and Florent.

It would appear that Aliir will play round 1, but KJ will miss.

With quite an inexperienced backline, I doubt we will play take any other inexperienced backmen into the game, which would eliminate Newman and O'Riordan. If Marsh, Melican and Aliir all play, there doesn't seem to be a spot for Laidler.

Fox played in all the JLT games. I like his endeavour, but thought he looked out of sync with the rest of the team and needs some time in reserves to tune up his game. The coaches must like him to have played him over many other aspirants.

I think Towers was played today since he missed the first JLT game with appendicitis, and is likely to play round 1.

I hope Dawson get to play round 1. He's a very promising prospect and there should be spot open if KJ misses.

Edwards and Foote also contenders for that last spot in the side.

We'll be missing 5 of our regular senior players, but will still take quite a good side into round 1. It appears that we may take 7 players with less than 15 games experience into round 1. Sounds like a lot, but I think they will give a good accounting of themselves.

I agree with almost all of that. The only thing I don't is your apparent confidence that Kieren Jack will miss round 1. I always understood both that he would be a close run thing, but that he didn't need to play this NEAFL game to play rd 1.

Looking forward to seeing Florent play rd 1. Well done, lad.

Ludwig
19th March 2017, 12:33 AM
I think that KJ was 'scheduled' to play in this practice match, so I'm just reading into the fact that he didn't that he's not quite right. I wish we had a comment from the club on the game. I noticed that the Suns had a story on their game. I'm not confident either way, because we just don't have any info on the situation. I suppose we will hear something about KJ by Monday.

wolftone57
19th March 2017, 03:00 PM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

No Fisher

Naismith had an interrupted preseason. They are just trying to get some game time into him.

wolftone57
19th March 2017, 03:20 PM
I agree with almost all of that. The only thing I don't is your apparent confidence that Kieren Jack will miss round 1. I always understood both that he would be a close run thing, but that he didn't need to play this NEAFL game to play rd 1.

Looking forward to seeing Florent play rd 1. Well done, lad.

I read or heard somewhere that KJ had a setback and won't be ready until after round 2. For the life of me I can't recall where I heard it.

ugg
20th March 2017, 11:02 AM
NEAFL.com.au match report

North East Australian Football League: Sydney overpowers Students in wet conditions (http://neafl.com.au/index.php?id=16&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2017&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=03&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=5893&cHash=98fa1a2757b8d533f5add9adcf0a59f7)

bloodspirit
20th March 2017, 11:48 AM
Thanks ugg. Really appreciate your match reports as ever, especially details about how individual players are travelling.

Ludwig, persuasive analysis, especially the first few paragraphs! I would love to see Dawson get a run but wonder if he is ready for the step up to AFL, especially after injury-limited pre-season. I'm doubtful that Edwards will be selected Round 1 (especially not if they select Towers) and possibly not even Foote.

I'm intrigued that Cameron didn't do much rucking. This suggests to me that, for the time being, Sinclair remains in our top 3 rucks. Once we have two rucks playing AFL then Cameron will get more ruck time at NEAFL level so that he is ready to step up if injuries require it and this will also give him the opportunity to move up the pecking order as he works on his rucking and his tank (which may also be a limiting factor for him at present). I can't see them selecting Cameron as a 4th tall in the front half for the AFL side, especially with the importance we place on putting defensive pressure on in the forward 50.

It's been said before, including, very possibly, by me, but the silver lining to having so many of our best 22 injured is that we get a look at and get some game time into some of our other fringe players. I'd rather be carrying injuries at this stage of the season than running into finals (sadly the two are not mutually exclusive). Can't wait for the footy to begin. I'm not currently a subscriber to Foxtel or afl.com.au so have been fairly footy deprived, although I have enjoyed watching some AFLW and am even considering travelling to Brissy for the AFLW GF (I've got a mate up there who I'd like to visit too).

I can't say who but I suppose there is a real chance one of Foote, Fox, Edwards, Hayward, Rose, Cameron is going to get a game. It's also likely that at least one of Towers or Harry C will play. Looking a little less rosy for Laidler and Maibaum however.

I will be thrilled if Melican gets his debut. We've been watching him a while but I confess my focus drifted away a little later last year when he had been plagued by injury problems so I've perhaps been caught napping with his strong JLT season even thought I had been waiting for it for much of the past two years. I perhaps had concluded it was going to take him another year. A back six of Reg, AA, Melican, Rampe, Swampy, Smooch and with Lloyd, Jones and Mills also splitting their time back and midfield (or wing in Lloyd's case) looks pretty good to me. Hopefully Rampe will cover for Macca in the fingerpointing/quarterback department, with support from Reg and Smooch, and we won't miss a beat. One of those players (most likely Swampy or Louis) might miss when Heeney returns and Jones/Mills are less required midfield.

dimelb
20th March 2017, 02:36 PM
I'd rather be carrying injuries at this stage of the season than running into finals (sadly the two are not mutually exclusive).

bloodspirit, among your thoughtful comments about the new season, it was the comment I've quoted that struck most forcibly. I have come to think of it as the main reason why we missed out on the 2016 Flag: the Doggies got their injured back just in time and we didn't, indeed we added to them! I sincerely hope things go a bit more our way this season.

wolftone57
20th March 2017, 03:36 PM
Thanks ugg. Really appreciate your match reports as ever, especially details about how individual players are travelling.

Ludwig, persuasive analysis, especially the first few paragraphs! I would love to see Dawson get a run but wonder if he is ready for the step up to AFL, especially after injury-limited pre-season. I'm doubtful that Edwards will be selected Round 1 (especially not if they select Towers) and possibly not even Foote.

I'm intrigued that Cameron didn't do much rucking. This suggests to me that, for the time being, Sinclair remains in our top 3 rucks. Once we have two rucks playing AFL then Cameron will get more ruck time at NEAFL level so that he is ready to step up if injuries require it and this will also give him the opportunity to move up the pecking order as he works on his rucking and his tank (which may also be a limiting factor for him at present). I can't see them selecting Cameron as a 4th tall in the front half for the AFL side, especially with the importance we place on putting defensive pressure on in the forward 50.

It's been said before, including, very possibly, by me, but the silver lining to having so many of our best 22 injured is that we get a look at and get some game time into some of our other fringe players. I'd rather be carrying injuries at this stage of the season than running into finals (sadly the two are not mutually exclusive). Can't wait for the footy to begin. I'm not currently a subscriber to Foxtel or afl.com.au so have been fairly footy deprived, although I have enjoyed watching some AFLW and am even considering travelling to Brissy for the AFLW GF (I've got a mate up there who I'd like to visit too).

I can't say who but I suppose there is a real chance one of Foote, Fox, Edwards, Hayward, Rose, Cameron is going to get a game. It's also likely that at least one of Towers or Harry C will play. Looking a little less rosy for Laidler and Maibaum however.

I will be thrilled if Melican gets his debut. We've been watching him a while but I confess my focus drifted away a little later last year when he had been plagued by injury problems so I've perhaps been caught napping with his strong JLT season even thought I had been waiting for it for much of the past two years. I perhaps had concluded it was going to take him another year. A back six of Reg, AA, Melican, Rampe, Swampy, Smooch and with Lloyd, Jones and Mills also splitting their time back and midfield (or wing in Lloyd's case) looks pretty good to me. Hopefully Rampe will cover for Macca in the fingerpointing/quarterback department, with support from Reg and Smooch, and we won't miss a beat. One of those players (most likely Swampy or Louis) might miss when Heeney returns and Jones/Mills are less required midfield.

Just one thing. Don't read too much into the Cameron not rucking and Sinclair is. Sinclair, like Naismith had an interrupted preseason. Cameron had a very good preseason and is fit. But if there is another ploy I'd say it was to leave Darcy in the Goal Square to see how that would work. The Hawks did that with Hale on a few occasions when they played the four prong tall attack. It got them a lot of goals, especially with Bruest, Rioli & Poppy at their feet.

Meg
20th March 2017, 05:59 PM
bloodspirit, among your thoughtful comments about the new season, it was the comment I've quoted that struck most forcibly. I have come to think of it as the main reason why we missed out on the 2016 Flag: the Doggies got their injured back just in time and we didn't, indeed we added to them! I sincerely hope things go a bit more our way this season.

I agree with this.

I had a bit of an exchange with someone who was lauding the bye before the finals as it allowed teams (aka the Bulldogs) to get their injured players back for the finals. I don't have any big objection to the bye but am unconvinced by this rationale. My point was/is that injuries incurred during the H&A season have no more disadvantage (and possibly less) than ones incurred during the finals. And the Swans were hit with serious injuries during the finals - including sadly early in the GF itself in the case of Buddy (plus he carried a shoulder injury into the GF which we weren't told about at the time).

mcs
20th March 2017, 06:20 PM
I agree with this.

I had a bit of an exchange with someone who was lauding the bye before the finals as it allowed teams (aka the Bulldogs) to get their injured players back for the finals. I don't have any big objection to the bye but am unconvinced by this rationale. My point was/is that injuries incurred during the H&A season have no more disadvantage (and possibly less) than ones incurred during the finals. And the Swans were hit with serious injuries during the finals - including sadly early in the GF itself in the case of Buddy (plus he carried a shoulder injury into the GF which we weren't told about at the time).

I think the bye before the final, as we saw last year, can have huge distortionary impacts. Not only on the injury front (the fairypuppies were truly blessed in that regard), but also in terms of momentum - again, the Eagles were severely hampered in my opinion in that regard in week 1, and then the two teams with the bye for winning in week one of the finals hardly enjoyed it in the end either.

I'm not against two byes in the season, but I'd prefer them to be evenly spaced and a general bye for everyone - say after round 8 and round 16, or something like that. That would be much fairer, and completely remove the potential distortion the one before the final creates. But like the twilight grand final, I fully expect the AFL will sweep away any suggestion of changing it on the basis of some vague notion of 'general consensus'.

Meg
20th March 2017, 06:36 PM
I'm not against two byes in the season, but I'd prefer them to be evenly spaced and a general bye for everyone - say after round 8 and round 16, or something like that. That would be much fairer, and completely remove the potential distortion the one before the final creates. But like the twilight grand final, I fully expect the AFL will sweep away any suggestion of changing it on the basis of some vague notion of 'general consensus'.

This is the view of the AFL Players Association - and yes I also agree.

redsox
21st March 2017, 12:36 PM
I agree with this.

I agree with this to a point - When Buddy was not at 100% it exposed the lack of depth- When quarters started with Ted Richards at full forward, the game was up.

depth of the club was generally exposed by the fact that on Grand Final Day some supposed 'big names' were pretty ordinary. (Rohan and Tippet spring to mind and can take 'ordinary' as a complement really)

whilst this club is the envy of most for their ability to regenerate...some high priced-low effort contributions will ask too much of the kids before they are really ready

i think it is fair to acknowledge that the Bulldogs were exceptional coping with the injuries they had to in 2016

ugg
21st March 2017, 05:28 PM
Mentioned in the injury report that the reserves are playing the Swans Academy this weekend in a practice game. No other details were given.

liz
21st March 2017, 05:38 PM
Mentioned in the injury report that the reserves are playing the Swans Academy this weekend in a practice game. No other details were given.

That would be odd, if true. It would be a mismatch of major proportions. According to this article, the Swans academy team plays the GWS academy on Sunday in Blacktown. The article also relays the results of recent academy games against North Shore. It's hard to ignore Blakey (still a year under age) topping the goal kicking for the Swans with four.

Academy: Sights set on GWS - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-03-21/academy-sights-set-on-gws)

bloodspirit
21st March 2017, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the link, liz.

Interesting to see the Academy U16s beat Syd Uni U19s. Also that one of the U16s was called Bayliss - presumably not the progeny of Trevor the long time NSW cricket coach and now England coach, but possibly related?

ugg
30th March 2017, 05:43 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NEAFL?src=hash">#NEAFL</a> wishes to advise the Rd 1 match between <a href="https://twitter.com/brisbanelions">@brisbanelions</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/sydneyswans">@sydneyswans</a> has been relocated to Blacktown: <a href="https://t.co/05EK8SmKxP">https://t.co/05EK8SmKxP</a></p>&mdash; NEAFL (@neaflofficial) <a href="https://twitter.com/neaflofficial/status/847336153963352064">March 30, 2017</a></blockquote>

liz
30th March 2017, 06:45 PM
I realise Sydney's weather isn't quite as extreme as SE Queensland's, but it's been absolutely pelting it down all day today.

Mind you, given yesterday was too hot too comfortably go outside, who knows what it will be like come Saturday.

ugg
30th March 2017, 06:51 PM
16 listed players named. Brissie have 20

?Aliir
Cameron
Dawson
Edwards
Fisher
Jack
Leonardis
Maibaum
Melican
Murray
O'Riordan
Pink
Rose
Sinclair
Talia
Towers

Barkley, Gowers, Lee, Lower, Mapleson, Stapleton,

Aaron
30th March 2017, 09:26 PM
All 3 senior emergencies listed. One has to travel to Melbourne/

rb4x
30th March 2017, 10:12 PM
What is the story with Ronke missing?

liz
30th March 2017, 10:25 PM
All 3 senior emergencies listed. One has to travel to Melbourne/

A benefit of the senior team playing on Friday night is that the travelling emergency (or ies) can return to Sydney in time for the NEAFL game.

31st March 2017, 03:25 PM
A benefit of the senior team playing on Friday night is that the travelling emergency (or ies) can return to Sydney in time for the NEAFL game.
Whats the go with Aliir, on the bench for NEAFL?