PDA

View Full Version : JLT Round 2 v GWS Giants @BISP 7.40 pm Friday 3 March

bloodspirit
23rd February 2017, 04:49 PM
Time until footy is dragging so I thought I would get this conversation started.

Is it 26 man squads again to interchange during the game via an extended bench? Last time around Lloyd, Leonardis and Ronke got the late chop, so I'm tipping them to get a game this time around. Sinclair, Tower, Franklin and Rampe are due to return from injury. Presumably also Macca, Kizza, Reg and AA. Hayward also missed out last time but I don't know how his foot injury is tracking. So that means finding up to 12 players to turf out of last rounds squad of 26 to make room.

I think Murray and Fisher will be among the casualties. The other omissions could be revealing because it could tell us who is seriously in the mix as a possible AFL Round 1 selection. Will they choose Fox, Edwards, Florent, Foote, Robbo, BJ, COR, Harry C again? Ditto Talia, Melican and Maibaum (one of whom might have a chance at a spot in our 22 for Round 1 as the 2nd tall). Presumably they will rest a couple of the best 22 for this match, but who? You'd think they lean towards resting the more senior players (like Macca, Kizza, Reg, Buddy, Ramps last time). So: Smith? Parker? Hanners? Plus either Cameron or Tip will give way for Sinclair. Maybe they will give Tip a game off and have another look at Cameron? Do we think they will keep playing Heeney, Mills and Jones through the JLT series or will they give them a game off too?

Can we expect anything from Henry Playfair in the coaching box? I have no idea. I don't think he's done it before. Interesting that they overlooked Stuey Dew, John Blakey and Josh Francou. I guess Dew (and maybe Blakey?) have done it before so it was H's and Kirky's turn since they are next most senior.

I hope I can make it to the game. I will be driving back to Sydney from Canberra that evening so isn't too inconvenient.

Your thoughts?

dejavoodoo44
23rd February 2017, 05:18 PM
Rather than "thoughts", one stray thought. One player who has been conspicuous by his absence, is James Rose. Last time I checked the injury list, he wasn't on it and if he isn't injured, then I would've thought that he would be pushing for forward line selection. What with, Rohan and Papley being on the long term injury list, McGlynn having retired and Heeney spending more time in the middle. Seems a bit of a mystery?

stellation
23rd February 2017, 07:16 PM
Help me Rwobi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope. Too lazy to look it up- do we have no pre-season game this coming weekend, and is this game vs. GWS the only one in Sydney for the pre-season?

ugg
23rd February 2017, 07:29 PM
Yes unless you count the NEAFL practice games. Last JLT game is in Albury

bloodspirit
23rd February 2017, 07:30 PM
stellation: yes.

deja: Rose has a hip injury and, last I heard, was due back for JLT3.

dejavoodoo44
23rd February 2017, 09:40 PM

Ta.

23rd February 2017, 10:25 PM
Which I'm making the trek over to see and mixing it in with some upper Murray sightseeing and business in Victoria. Expecting a near full strength side for Albury, by then we'll know who the likelies are to plug the holes in the 22.

stellation
24th February 2017, 06:38 AM

Thank you kindly. :)

I may just toddle along to see those crazy kids play, I quite like going to the footy at Blacktown.

Nico
24th February 2017, 07:55 AM
The old Rosehip injury. They are hard to shake off.

graemed
24th February 2017, 09:15 AM
Considering that the Rose hip comment was one Ludwig's best (in a long list of hits and misses) I would have thought such an injury would be unforgettable.

mattybloods
24th February 2017, 09:58 AM
I hope they rest Tippett and play Sinclair/Cameron through the ruck. Ruck off for a round one spot (unless Naismith has recovered by then).

I hope they stick with lots of kids and bring back more senior players for round 3.

Ludwig
24th February 2017, 11:27 AM
Considering that the Rose hip comment was one Ludwig's best (in a long list of hits and misses)I would suggest that the list of Ludwig's misses is no longer than a list of Mike Fitzpatrick's accomplishments, unless you are referring to the list of Ludwig's Mrs, which is uncomfortably long, with some listings quite forgettable.

dimelb
24th February 2017, 05:04 PM
I would suggest that the list of Ludwig's misses is no longer than a list of Mike Fitzpatrick's accomplishments, unless you are referring to the list of Ludwig's Mrs, which is uncomfortably long, with some listings quite forgettable.

:D

bloodspirit
27th February 2017, 02:39 PM
Buddy, Rampe and Naismith "certain" starters for JLT2: Franklin set to return - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-02-27/franklin-set-to-return).

stellation
27th February 2017, 09:24 PM
Any word on Dane's darts in the off season? Hope he got in as many as he did for his pre-season run that lead to his All Australian nod.

Mountain Man
28th February 2017, 09:26 AM
I presume with extended bench, injuries early days for top up's, there is no NEAFL match prior to the 7:40 game. Certainly nothing on the Swans website.

- - - Updated - - -

Ugg,
My apologies - I just found your excellent notice of pre season NEAFL games.

The play in Brisbane at 10:30 on Saturday

Meg
28th February 2017, 11:50 AM
I presume with extended bench, injuries early days for top up's, there is no NEAFL match prior to the 7:40 game. Certainly nothing on the Swans website.

- - - Updated - - -

Ugg,
My apologies - I just found your excellent notice of pre season NEAFL games.

The play in Brisbane at 10:30 on Saturday

But there is a women's match starting at 5.05pm - AFLW GWS Giants v Melbourne. GWS not travelling well (have several key players injured) but the Melbourne women are looking good.

Mountain Man
28th February 2017, 05:07 PM
Will have rained for 7 days up to next Friday at BISP

mattybloods
1st March 2017, 12:17 PM
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-03-01/selection-experience-defenders-return

Team selections for JLT 2. Glad to see Hayward named

ugg
1st March 2017, 12:33 PM
In: Franklin, Grundy, Hayward, Laidler, Lloyd, Naismith, Rampe, Sinclair, Towers
Out: Heeney, Edwards, Talia, B.Jack, Fisher, Murray

ugg
1st March 2017, 12:39 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/GWSGiants/Images/news%20images/JLT-3-TEAM-WEB.jpg

In: Davis, Coniglio, Greene, Shiel, Ward, Scully, Smith, Johnson, Cameron, Haynes, Shaw, Griffen, A.Kennedy, Mumford
Out: Isaac Cumming, Tendai Mzungu, Zach Sproule, Matthew Flynn, Jeremy Finlayson, Lachie Tiziani, Tim Mohr, Tom Downie, Sam Reid

mattybloods
1st March 2017, 12:53 PM
Should be a great match, a lot of quality ins for GWS. Looks like they are going for the win

The Big Cat
1st March 2017, 01:51 PM
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-03-01/selection-experience-defenders-return

Team selections for JLT 2. Glad to see Hayward named I thought Kizza was supposed to play.

MattW
1st March 2017, 02:30 PM
I thought Kizza was supposed to play.

Yes, Harley said yesterday he was rested from the first game, is in good shape and would play.

Separately, I don't think Brandon Jack and Talia are being 'rested'. I suspect they're well down the pecking order.

bloodspirit
1st March 2017, 03:49 PM
Three more omissions to come. I'm assuming all the new inclusions will play barring late injury. Will be interesting to see which of Maibaum, Melican, Marsh, Newman and O'Riordan hold their spot. Maybe one of Tippett or Cameron will be rested. Also interesting to see that Ronke and Leonardis have not been given a run whereas Fox may be given a second opportunity to show his wares, along with Foote, Florent and Cunningham. I agree that it doesn't look good for BJ. Probably also not too promising for Edwards and those who are hoping to see him getting elevated to the senior list in place of one of the LTIL players either. Writing is on the wall for BJ if he doesn't make some significant progress this year. I think possibly the biggest 'winner' is Maibaum. If they continue to select him I think he is a real chance of getting a debut which is slightly surprising given his youth and similarity to Grundy.

Not only is the non-selection of Kizza notable but also Macca and Reg. They are both so experienced that it wouldn't surprise if they are just given one game to warm up, JLT3. But it's still surprising because there were previous indications that they would play this time. Also I think there were hopes that AA would be ready to return and clearly he isn't, which is bad news.

Ludwig
1st March 2017, 03:53 PM
I'm a bit surprised Talia was dropped and both Maibaum and Melican were named in the side. I think one will be dropped in the final cut, but maybe we want to see if either is capable of holding up at AFL level. It will be quite an achievement if either can at this stage of their careers.

At least one of the 4 ruckmen named will be dropped for sure. Could even be Tippett. 2 JLT games should be more than enough for experienced players.

It seems like KJ and Macca will have to go in with one game, which should be okay.

There are still the 2 NEAFL practice matches for players to get match fitness if need be. I think we may see Aliir, for example, play the 3rd JLT match, followed by a NEAFL match the following week, to give him 2 matches before Round 1.

It's always difficult to know what's in the minds of the coaches when planning for Round 1, which is looking an even easier game now that several of PA's good players will miss the game.

I hope that Dawson and Rose are fit enough to play in the NEAFL match on 10 March.

rb4x
1st March 2017, 04:28 PM
Macca has injured his calf at training and is now in doubt for round 1.

Ludwig
1st March 2017, 04:36 PM
Macca has injured his calf at training and is now in doubt for round 1. He clearly has a chronic calf problem and is unlikely to see much action this year, which seems now nearly certain to be his last.

You really can't have him in the side in any critical game with his record of breaking down. It's not dissimilar to the situation with Daniel Wells, which is why it was nuts for Collingwood to give him a big 3 year contract.

aardvark
1st March 2017, 04:52 PM
Macca has injured his calf at training and is now in doubt for round 1.

Should have retired. The lure of 300 games is strong.

56-14
1st March 2017, 05:14 PM

I get the feel that McVeigh's on the out.

Looks like a P.R. managed retirement due to chronic injury.

MattW
1st March 2017, 06:56 PM

Reckon reasonable chance he will by season's end. That calf problem doesn't seem to going away.

Both Melican (by Harley yesterday) and Maibaum (was it Blakey?) have been singled our for praise recently and seem on the earmarked as (near) future KPDs. Will be interesting to see which one they pick for this game.

Mel_C
1st March 2017, 06:57 PM
The dirty sniper Johnson better not target any of our players. Same goes for Mumford.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Markwebbos
1st March 2017, 07:30 PM
I get the feel that McVeigh's on the out.

Looks like a P.R. managed retirement due to chronic injury.

I think that's going way beyond what we know. But is it bad I'm glad Mc**** isn't playing?

Meg
1st March 2017, 10:48 PM
Nicely timed reminder to the umps from Hanners.

'SWANS midfield gun Dan Hannebery has called on umpires to remember the sliding rule this season.'

And I would add, also remember the legitimate disposal-by-hand rule.

Dan Hannebery urges umpires to crack down on sliding rule (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans/sydney-star-dan-hannebery-calls-on-umpires-to-crack-down-on-sliding-rule-after-grand-final-injury/news-story/33412e213bce0528896257a29a10dd4b)

Doctor
1st March 2017, 10:57 PM
14 inclusions from the Giants after they won in a canter a fortnight ago. Scary, scary depth they have. If they don't win it all this year it'll be a huge surprise.

I don't say this out of resentment btw. They knew the rules and played them brilliantly.

Mr Magoo
2nd March 2017, 07:19 AM
14 inclusions from the Giants after they won in a canter a fortnight ago. Scary, scary depth they have. If they don't win it all this year it'll be a huge surprise.

I don't say this out of resentment btw. They knew the rules and played them brilliantly.

Hadn't stopped the afl before - you can't have everything you know

jono2707
2nd March 2017, 09:33 AM
The Giants' on field behaviour in our semi last year was disgraceful. I hope we don't see a repeat and that they remember this is a practice match. There's no place for their dirty sniping this week.
I expect we'll lose pretty comfortably - this is more about getting run into players' legs and seeing who of our youngsters can step up. Nothing more.

dejavoodoo44
2nd March 2017, 11:23 AM
Nicely timed reminder to the umps from Hanners.

'SWANS midfield gun Dan Hannebery has called on umpires to remember the sliding rule this season.'

And I would add, also remember the legitimate disposal-by-hand rule.

Dan Hannebery urges umpires to crack down on sliding rule (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans/sydney-star-dan-hannebery-calls-on-umpires-to-crack-down-on-sliding-rule-after-grand-final-injury/news-story/33412e213bce0528896257a29a10dd4b)

And with the Giants, they should probably keep an eye on the flying elbow to the jaw rule.

Meg
2nd March 2017, 02:45 PM
And with the Giants, they should probably keep an eye on the flying elbow to the jaw rule.

Very good point.

barry
2nd March 2017, 03:31 PM
The Giants' on field behaviour in our semi last year was disgraceful. I hope we don't see a repeat and that they remember this is a practice match. There's no place for their dirty sniping this week.
I expect we'll lose pretty comfortably - this is more about getting run into players' legs and seeing who of our youngsters can step up. Nothing more.

They probably wont bother in a practice match, but expect it in the real thing. Why ? . because it worked.

Mountain Man
2nd March 2017, 03:35 PM
I'm surprised K. Jack is not playing.

If he is destined to initially play as small forward, at least while Papley is out at season start, you would think he would benefit from some game-time experience around Reid, Franklin, Tippett etc.

Maybe both our former Captains are injured

56-14
2nd March 2017, 05:37 PM
Getting the feeling that both our former captains are not part of Longmire's blueprint for this season.

rb4x
2nd March 2017, 06:05 PM
I think K Jack will be important this year as a small forward which I see as our main deficiency. Mitchell and McGlynn are gone, Papley, Rohan, Rose, McVeigh and Dawson leaving us thin on depth. Parker is not 100% yet either. Hope Kizza is not carrying an injury. We have drafted Florent and Hayward obviously recognising this issue but are they going to be able to hold up to the rigours of a full season. We look great for defenders and are OK for mids but if we have injury issues the forwards are a problem. Probably our weakness even without injuries. Ruck is the other area which might become an issue with injuries as we only have four on our list, three of them are injury prone and two are ruck/forwards.

Auntie.Gerald
2nd March 2017, 07:21 PM
I suspect with the outs of Rohan paplay etc we may see towers become a real possibility up front

Nico
2nd March 2017, 09:15 PM
AA has a toe injury but I heard that he will play the last practice match.

We have a history of bringing the older players along slowly. I have heard nothing about KJ having an injury so it is probably just let him ease into it.

Meg
2nd March 2017, 09:37 PM
�There are no hard feelings with Steve, none at all,� Kennedy told the Daily Telegraph. �Getting hit is an occupational hazard in footy.�

Huh! But WE have plenty of hard feelings!

GWS Giants v Sydney Swans: Steve Johnson bump on Josh Kennedy, no grudge (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans/sydney-star-josh-kennedy-holds-no-grudge-against-steve-johnson-over-qualifying-final-bump/news-story/ca0dd5cfd7a21c250ce8b08c771bf74e)

Nico
3rd March 2017, 09:47 AM
We better harden up in the midfield before the season starts. Melbourne is now officially the toughest midfield in the comp....well according to David King that is.

Aprilbr
3rd March 2017, 10:34 AM
Roosy loves tough and hard midfielders so I am not at all surprised that Melbourne loaded up with tough nuts under his reign. I think that the D's will be a real threat for the finals this year. They have progressed nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crackedactor
3rd March 2017, 11:53 AM
They do seem to have a tough midfield now and could cause problems this year. Obviously a legacy of Roosey's style. David King is at least sometimes right! However I am still waiting for Dermie's prediction because I know they will be 99% wrong. Never had Swans or Bulldogs in his top eight last year!Some expert!

Ludwig
3rd March 2017, 12:04 PM
We better harden up in the midfield before the season starts. Melbourne is now officially the toughest midfield in the comp....well according to David King that is.

SOLUTION

Out:Partker
In: Cunningham

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xr/518838930.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D05E1F3B882ADD9494 8E0D1519B465B8E79B601B5F9F929E69A55A1E4F32AD3138

Meg
3rd March 2017, 04:22 PM
Lots of rain in Sydney today, very muggy, conditions might not be good tonight.

Ocker
3rd March 2017, 04:24 PM
Heavy rain for the last two hours - is the game still on at Black town tonight?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

ugg
3rd March 2017, 05:07 PM
Blacktown is the usual venue the NEAFL turns to when it rains too heavily for the reserves to play at the SCG :)

However, if you don't have a seat in the stands, it might be a pretty miserable night out there.

Meg
3rd March 2017, 05:13 PM
Women's match has just started. I'm watching online. Not raining at moment but the ground is very soggy. And the radar predicts heavy rain is on its way soon. Not a good night for footy - or for viewing from the grassed area!

Industrial Fan
3rd March 2017, 06:49 PM
Any coverage of the game?

liz
3rd March 2017, 06:54 PM
Any coverage of the game?

It's live on Fox. I suspect no FTA coverage.

I don't especially like Blacktown - it's OK for reserves games when you know you can sit in the stand but the sight lines from the grassed areas are pretty ordinary. Sitting at home, watching the rain pelt down, I am doubly glad I decided to watch from my couch this evening.

Meg
3rd March 2017, 07:02 PM
Agreed Liz, rain bucketing down in the CBD. I will be watching on the AFL app.

dejavoodoo44
3rd March 2017, 07:07 PM
Final teams has Newman, Maibaum and O'Riordan being culled from the squad. Which means that we're playing four ruckmen in the wet. Seems a bit odd? Maybe it suggests that winning the game is not high on our priorities?

liz
3rd March 2017, 07:13 PM
Final teams has Newman, Maibaum and O'Riordan being culled from the squad. Which means that we're playing four ruckmen in the wet. Seems a bit odd? Maybe it suggests that winning the game is not high on our priorities?

Very odd, I agree. Plus finding a good, hard running half back flanker should be a priority if the team is to improve. Odd that neither of the two most likely candidates is playing tonight.

ugg
3rd March 2017, 07:23 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Naismith and Sinclair play one half each

liz
3rd March 2017, 07:29 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Naismith and Sinclair play one half each

I'd expect that too. But then having Kurt and Cameron both play the whole game as well - in these conditions - seems like a strange choice. I'd be resting Tippo.

ugg
3rd March 2017, 07:35 PM
So final changes from last week's team

In: Franklin, Grundy, Hayward, Laidler, Lloyd, Naismith, Rampe, Sinclair, Towers
Out: Heeney, Edwards, Talia, B.Jack, Fisher, Murray, Oriordan, Newman, Maibaum

WauchopeAnalyst
3rd March 2017, 08:11 PM
Cameron is a better mark then Sinclair, Tippett and Reid.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Meg
3rd March 2017, 08:40 PM
Why do they still have super goals in this comp.?

Velour&Ruffles
3rd March 2017, 08:43 PM
Cameron is a better mark then Sinclair, Tippett and Reid.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

I agree with the first 66.67% (approximately) of this statement.

ugg
3rd March 2017, 08:48 PM
Why do they still have super goals in this comp.?

Tradition ?

Legs Akimbo
3rd March 2017, 09:54 PM
I really like the look of Cameron and I think Florent is going to be something.

MattW
3rd March 2017, 10:03 PM
I agree with the first 66.67% (approximately) of this statement.

Tippett is a better mark than Reid.

- - - Updated - - -

Melican looked the part. Hewett has developed well. Buddy looks fit. Towers looked much improved and ran out the game well. We were hard at it. Good signs.

dejavoodoo44
3rd March 2017, 10:05 PM
Tippett is a better mark than Reid.

- - - Updated - - -

Melican looked the part. Hewett has developed well. Buddy looks fit. Towers looked much improved and ran out the game well. We were hard at it. Good signs.
Yes, Melican was a bit of a surprise packet and I did enjoy Hewett's work in close.

dimelb
3rd March 2017, 10:29 PM
I noticed on the AFL website that Towers kicked two goals. OK, only a preseason game, but an indicator of what's possible?

Meg
3rd March 2017, 10:54 PM
I noticed on the AFL website that Towers kicked two goals. OK, only a preseason game, but an indicator of what's possible?

Yes, I thought Towers was good tonight.

Auntie.Gerald
3rd March 2017, 10:57 PM
Melican and Cameron good cover
Marsh ahead of laidler
Towers starting in the forwards
Robinson on the bench

Pretty cool u can watch these pre season games live online from OS

mcs
3rd March 2017, 10:59 PM
Yes, Melican was a bit of a surprise packet and I did enjoy Hewett's work in close.

Melican had a really decent game I thought. Some more good signs from Cameron too, clunking a couple of good grabs.

A scrappy old game, but some good signs - impressed by Buddy on his first game back, he did well!

dejavoodoo44
3rd March 2017, 11:12 PM
Melican had a really decent game I thought. Some more good signs from Cameron too, clunking a couple of good grabs.

A scrappy old game, but some good signs - impressed by Buddy on his first game back, he did well!
Yes, that Franklin kid is showing a bit of promise. And it's interesting that none of us has mentioned just how imperious Mills was in difficult conditions. It seems that we just expect it.

3rd March 2017, 11:51 PM

At the AFL level, his goals seem opportunistic. Still a little slow with his decision making. But hard to tell in today's conditions

ugg
4th March 2017, 02:05 AM
Playfair said in the press conference Kizza hurt his hip. Could have played tonight if needed but obviously rested as a precaution.

Dosser
4th March 2017, 08:10 AM
I kept getting annoyed by Dwayne on Fox last night referring several times to this being Reid's first game in 12 months. I guess a week really is a long time in football.

SCGonasunnyday
4th March 2017, 09:12 AM
I kept getting annoyed by Dwayne on Fox last night referring several times to this being Reid's first game in 12 months. I guess a week really is a long time in football.

Yep. Some stuff is unforgivable- like how could you not see as it happened that Mumford bumped Buddy who then ricotched onto the giants player. I mean it was so clear, if you were watching and had your eyes open. But instead they start getting excited about a possible suspension for a head high bump by Buddy... sigh - going to be a long year

Meg
4th March 2017, 11:01 AM
Yep. Some stuff is unforgivable- like how could you not see as it happened that Mumford bumped Buddy who then ricotched onto the giants player. I mean it was so clear, if you were watching and had your eyes open. But instead they start getting excited about a possible suspension for a head high bump by Buddy... sigh - going to be a long year

And now every media report (including on GWS site) has a headline alleging Buddy laid a massive bump. And Yahoo Sports claim Buddy and the Swans have a nervous wait to see if the MRP will take action against Buddy!

sprite
4th March 2017, 12:04 PM
Buddy is lucky that Mumford helped him into the bump, as he hit him earlier and lower (shirt full of sore ribs).

Possibly if Mumford didn't bump him contact may have been higher and then he would have some concerns.

To be fair the commentators after repaying it couple of times said Buddy would be ok as Mumford pushed or bumped him into the player.

It wasn't head high it wasn't late, it was in play - just a classic hip and shoulder - nothing to see here.

Nico
4th March 2017, 02:00 PM
I don't think Buddy was going to bump, it was only Mumford hitting that caused impact. I didn't see the game but saw that bit later. To me it should have been a free to Buddy for an off the ball bump/block to enable Taranto to mark.

royboy42
4th March 2017, 04:52 PM
I don't think Buddy was going to bump, it was only Mumford hitting that caused impact. I didn't see the game but saw that bit later. To me it should have been a free to Buddy for an off the ball bump/block to enable Taranto to mark.
Love your work Nico.

56-14
4th March 2017, 05:10 PM
Pleased to see that our new captain & the 3 vice-captains were all named in our best players.

Also like that we stood up to GWS.

Industrial Fan
4th March 2017, 06:00 PM
Agree Nico. That was sheparding at marking contest from Mumford.

neilfws
4th March 2017, 09:41 PM
A few people commented at Guardian Aus to say this is a great sports photo. Have to agree with them!

AFL: Buddy Franklin shines in Sydney's pre-season defeat of Giants | Sport | The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/03/afl-buddy-franklin-shines-in-sydneys-pre-season-defeat-of-giants)

mcs
5th March 2017, 08:05 PM
Yes, that Franklin kid is showing a bit of promise. And it's interesting that none of us has mentioned just how imperious Mills was in difficult conditions. It seems that we just expect it.

He is just that good that we too easily overlook it and just expect it.

stevoswan
5th March 2017, 09:12 PM
Agree Nico. That was sheparding at marking contest from Mumford.

Not if the ball's within 5 metres it isn't, unless the shepherding/blocking rule has changed, but yes, if the ball is further away, you're right. It's a rule often misinterpreted by some umpires, and all this commentator talk of 'blocking', when in fact a player has laid a good legal 'shepherd' really annoys me. Mumford's wasn't an ideal shepherd though.......but you can bump to effect a shepherd....within 5 metres of the ball/play.

liz
5th March 2017, 10:02 PM
Not if the ball's within 5 metres it isn't, unless the shepherding/blocking rule has changed, but yes, if the ball is further away, you're right. It's a rule often misinterpreted by some umpires, and all this commentator talk of 'blocking', when in fact a player has laid a good legal 'shepherd' really annoys me. Mumford's wasn't an ideal shepherd though.......but you can bump to effect a shepherd....within 5 metres of the ball/play.

You're not allowed to shepherd someone out of a marking contest, regardless of how far away the ball is.

AnnieH
6th March 2017, 08:39 AM
Well, Mumford is a dirty little pig isn't he?
Toby Greene should get a month for the air strike, and he should apologise to Harrison. Harrison didn't touch him.

Hate the bogans.

Sandrevan
6th March 2017, 02:34 PM
Was Mummy a 'dirty' player when he played for us?

I recall he got 2 weeks for a sling tackle on Gary Ablett. I don't recall much else - did I miss something?

Meg
6th March 2017, 02:43 PM
I recall he got 2 weeks for a sling tackle on Gary Ablett. I don't recall much else - did I miss something?

That was 2010. Then in 2011 he got a two-match ban for another heavy sling tackle that concussed Carlton midfielder David Ellard.

jren
6th March 2017, 02:49 PM
Whether we like it or not , intimidation is part of the game . Refer to 2012 GF when Hawthorn pulverized us in the early stages.Every team needs some players with mongrel , because skill alone will not always get the job done .

Meg
6th March 2017, 03:27 PM
From today's MRP statement:

'Contact between the Sydney Swans� Lance Franklin and the GWS Giants� Tim Taranto from the second quarter of Friday�s match was assessed. The ball was kicked forward by GWS� Heath Shaw, and then punched further down the ground in the air. Taranto was approaching the loose ball, with Franklin coming to the contest from his right and Shane Mumford approaching from down the ground. Mumford seeks to shepherd Franklin away from his teammate and Franklin then goes on to make contact with Taranto. It was the view of the panel that contact between Franklin and Taranto was caused by circumstances outside the control of player Franklin that could not be reasonably foreseen. No further action was taken.'

Ludwig
6th March 2017, 04:50 PM
Whether we like it or not , intimidation is part of the game . Refer to 2012 GF when Hawthorn pulverized us in the early stages.Every team needs some players with mongrel , because skill alone will not always get the job done .Couldn't agree more. We may have lost Mummy, but thankfully we locked up Harry Cunningham until 2019.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Training/camp01.jpg

56-14
6th March 2017, 06:16 PM
From today's MRP statement:

'Contact between the Sydney Swans� Lance Franklin and the GWS Giants� Tim Taranto from the second quarter of Friday�s match was assessed. The ball was kicked forward by GWS� Heath Shaw, and then punched further down the ground in the air. Taranto was approaching the loose ball, with Franklin coming to the contest from his right and Shane Mumford approaching from down the ground. Mumford seeks to shepherd Franklin away from his teammate and Franklin then goes on to make contact with Taranto. It was the view of the panel that contact between Franklin and Taranto was caused by circumstances outside the control of player Franklin that could not be reasonably foreseen. No further action was taken.'

Thanks Meg - been on tender hooks waiting the outcome.:smile:

Didn't think Buddy would get a suspension - but you never know these days.

Note that the MRP stated that the incident with Mummy shepherding wasn't a marking contest - the ball had been punched.

Industrial Fan
6th March 2017, 08:07 PM
Whether we like it or not , intimidation is part of the game . Refer to 2012 GF when Hawthorn pulverized us in the early stages.Every team needs some players with mongrel , because skill alone will not always get the job done .Every time I see Luke Hodge I see BLT eating him alive just in front of goal in the 2012 gf.

We dished a bit out in that gf. Goodes in the 4th when he could only run in a straight line.

Mummy is who he was when he played for us. Seems hypocritical to question his methods now.

jren
6th March 2017, 10:18 PM
Oops, sorry, my mistake i meant to refer to the 2014 GF loss when the Hawks went the knuckle early leaving some players such as Hanners and Jetts bruised and battered.

Untamed Snark
7th March 2017, 12:21 PM
Was Mummy a 'dirty' player when he played for us?

He's always been aggressive but it really seems to have taken off in the past few years.

crackedactor
7th March 2017, 01:06 PM
Every time I see Luke Hodge I see BLT eating him alive just in front of goal in the 2012 gf.

We dished a bit out in that gf. Goodes in the 4th when he could only run in a straight line.

Mummy is who he was when he played for us. Seems hypocritical to question his methods now.

Yes a little bit of mongrel probably got us over the line in 2012, so having a go at him now is hypocritical. Unfortunately we don't have any mongrel in our current team and without that we will never win a flag. Even look at last year with the Bulldogs and their sliding tackles, Its got to hurt your legs to have someone take your legs out whilst running for the ball. Of course if we do it in a match it will be a free kick plus a 50 mtr penalty against us, but that's the AFL policy rulings.

dimelb
7th March 2017, 01:53 PM
Yes a little bit of mongrel probably got us over the line in 2012, so having a go at him now is hypocritical. Unfortunately we don't have any mongrel in our current team and without that we will never win a flag. Even look at last year with the Bulldogs and their sliding tackles, Its got to hurt your legs to have someone take your legs out whilst running for the ball. Of course if we do it in a match it will be a free kick plus a 50 mtr penalty against us, but that's the AFL policy rulings.

Jones? Laidler? Franklin (occasionally)?

bloodspirit
7th March 2017, 03:08 PM
Our players aim to be 'hard' and disciplined rather than to have 'mongrel'. And I think they succeed in that. Hard, to me, seems pretty much mongrel with added discipline and less spite and in-your-face attitude. Players like Heeney, Parker, Hanners, Mills, Joey and others are all hard even if you wouldn't say they have 'mongrel'.

I agree Jones probably has the most mongrel out of senior players but he's a relative lightweight so probably not qualified to be an 'enforcer' like Mummy. Nank had mongrel but he's gone now and deploying it for Wretchmond. Titch may not have had 'mongrel' exactly but we lost some hardness when he walked out too. Sinclair might have some mongrel in him but if we're lucky we won't see it because he won't be playing in the senior side. Buddy has a brilliant balance. I wouldn't call him an enforcer or even a mongrel but he does throw his weight around at opportune times and I really like that about him. It is a form or leadership and he has stood up in that way at times when the team has really needed it. I would say that possibly Papley has a bit of mongrel about him with his rabid attack on the ball and the man. Unfortunately he is a bit of a lightweight too - and nor is he playing for the time being. Ditto Leonardis.

liz
7th March 2017, 03:40 PM
I think Buddy would love to be more of an enforcer - to throw his considerable weight around a bit more. But I reckon he's also under instruction from the coaches to keep it under control. His height and weight make it difficult for him to not to make high and fierce contact with an opponent if he chooses to bump (or even just shepherd). Combined with his high profile and the media obsession with him transgressing, that's a recipe for weeks on the sideline if not carefully controlled. Longmire doesn't want his best asset sitting out, watching games.

bloodspirit
7th March 2017, 04:01 PM
liz, there's just about nothing I can say that you don't say better.

I especially liked your last post on the Round 1 thread too about having players out and watching the fringe players get their chance. Totally agree with you as I almost always do.

Mug Punter
7th March 2017, 06:07 PM
I know it may not have been possible to work things this way but I seriously think that we would have been better off keeping Nanka and trading Callum off somewhere, like maybe back home.

Having said that, he would still have been third string and it looks like he is number 2 at least at the Tigers so he may well have left anyway. I am more than happy with Tippo and Naismith as our two best rucks. And I really like the look of young Darcy Cameron, think with a couple of seasons under the Ruck Whisperer he could well become a very good ruckman once Tippett leaves at the end of 2018. Just love the pipeline we have now re our list, rucks are just not an issue now, nor is the defence (AJ Melican Newman and young Jack all potentially pushing). We have young Nick Blakey in 2018 as a KPF so as far I can tell we just start banking midfielders for at least two drafts

Doctor J.
9th March 2017, 09:39 AM
liz, there's just about nothing I can say that you don't say better.

I especially liked your last post on the Round 1 thread too about having players out and watching the fringe players get their chance. Totally agree with you as I almost always do.

Liz, relative or nom de plume?