PDA

View Full Version : Vultures circling Sam Reid

YvonneH
19th April 2017, 10:06 AM
On AFL tonight Jake Naill said Vic clubs are circling Sam Reid (out of contract and according to Jake has not commenced talks with the Swans as yet).

Wouldn't be surprise if the Pies were right up there as their forward line is non existent at the moment and Ben Reid plays for them.
Would be a coup for them to have Sam forward and Ben back.

controlink
19th April 2017, 10:20 AM
That would be a major blow, would rather give up Tippet (even though I like him) also worried about Zac Jones..

barracuda
19th April 2017, 10:43 AM
The swans have a pretty good history of managing players to be less injury prone. Neither Reid nor Tippet are particularly sound physically, and have not provided full value to the swans over the years. If the swans can't fix them I don't know who can, however in my view let another club try. I think a team of robust, reliable, well drilled team players is better than flakey superstars. Look at Western Bulldogs. We should be targeting players with a strong track record for reliability, then coaching them to be a great team.

Cosmic Wizard
19th April 2017, 11:11 AM
On AFL tonight Jake Naill said Vic clubs are circling Sam Reid (out of contract and according to Jake has not commenced talks with the Swans as yet).

Wouldn't be surprise if the Pies were right up there as their forward line is non existent at the moment and Ben Reid plays for them.
Would be a coup for them to have Sam forward and Ben back.

The Pies wouldn't have the salary cap to blow us out of the water - Reid is on maybe $500,000 a year??

They have got Wells and Mayne which has really cost them big.

But with the new player payments coming through, who know.

About the best which can said is that North $9 million 9 year offer for Kelly won't be the only insane bid going around.

Someone is going to offer him huge money, which means we need to force retirements on McVeigh and Jack, and delist quite a few others.

Mug Punter
19th April 2017, 11:44 AM
I have no doubt that another club could come in for Reid and blow us out of the water financially given his start to the season, St Kilda have plenty of cash and he would add to their list (along with their first rounder and their Pick 1 this year LOL) and I could see North throwing some serious money at him too.

He has started well and overcome his injuries so ultimately I guess it depends on how close we can get financially and how happy he is in Sydney (very happy from all reports).

I'll call him as 50-50 but if he is still unsigned by the end of June he is gone for mine.

Jones I'd be more confident with as he can't go as a restricted free agent and his form in the season proper whist good has not been enough to extract silly money. Plus he has really only just broken into the side and I reckon this is the place for him to develop. I'll only start to worry about him if he is unsigned at the end of June.

Overall our list retention and list management is pretty good.

Ludwig
19th April 2017, 11:54 AM
Sam is a restricted FA, so we can match any offer he receives from other clubs. It will take a big offer to get him, but I have little doubt he will receive some. If we let him go, it should translate into a 1st round pick, which is based on salary and length of contract, although this would be another opportunity for the AFL to screw us. Given our current ladder position, we could well finish out of the 8 and get a young KPP who is better value than Reid and free up a lot of salary space. Although I am a fan of Reid, I wouldn't see it as that bad an outcome. A KPF from this year's draft and Blakey next year could form the foundation of our next generation forward line.

Mug Punter
19th April 2017, 12:20 PM
Sam is a restricted FA, so we can match any offer he receives from other clubs. It will take a big offer to get him, but I have little doubt he will receive some. If we let him go, it should translate into a 1st round pick, which is based on salary and length of contract, although this would be another opportunity for the AFL to screw us. Given our current ladder position, we could well finish out of the 8 and get a young KPP who is better value than Reid and free up a lot of salary space. Although I am a fan of Reid, I wouldn't see it as that bad an outcome. A KPF from this year's draft and Blakey next year could form the foundation of our next generation forward line.

I'd agree with that assessment. If Sam comes outright and says that he wants to leave then I doubt that we'd stand in his way but I don't think that will happen as it will all be about the $ on offer, and I get that the players have short careers and that this is his last contract probably.

Having said that I don't think we'll be held to ransom here. Getting $500,000 into our cap space and a first round draft pick wouldn't be a bad outcome if we (privately) concede that we are in a mini-rebuild phase.

mcs
19th April 2017, 01:12 PM
I'd agree with that assessment. If Sam comes outright and says that he wants to leave then I doubt that we'd stand in his way but I don't think that will happen as it will all be about the $ on offer, and I get that the players have short careers and that this is his last contract probably.

Having said that I don't think we'll be held to ransom here. Getting $500,000 into our cap space and a first round draft pick wouldn't be a bad outcome if we (privately) concede that we are in a mini-rebuild phase.

I'd prefer to see us get rid of Tippo and match the $$$ to keep reid, but I completely agree Mug that it wouldn't be the worse outcome in that circumstance, if we got the 1st round draft pick it should probably give us (knowing the AFL, they'll find a way to screw us over).

Boddo
19th April 2017, 03:08 PM
It's not just the point of losing Reid cause when you look at our key position forward stocks the cupboard is basically bare apart from Franklin & Reid. Who's next in line? Toby Pink has a while to go, I know some will say Rohan but he's a medium tall. Some will say Dawson but he may not even make it. Some will say Blakey but he's not even at the club n may take 4 more years to develop. You could draft someone this year but he will take atleast 3 years to come on. Our KPF stocks are very low.

chalbilto
19th April 2017, 03:31 PM
Tall KPF take time to develop. Sam is coming to the prime football age and it is imperative that the club retain him on the list. It's a no brainer to let him go.

Aprilbr
19th April 2017, 03:45 PM
The lack of certainty on the salary cap situation is making it hard for the Swans (and probably everyone else). Unless he breaks down again he will be offered big coin elsewhere so it comes down to what loyalty discount he would accept to stay a Swan? It's 50/50 in my view whether he stays or goes. Either way the better he goes this year the better it will be for him and us in terms of what we might get in return. A definite hole would be left in our forward line without him. We are already too reliant on buddy.

Perhaps we can get Jessie White back in return from Collingwood? 555 only joking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boddo
19th April 2017, 03:52 PM
The lack of certainty on the salary cap situation is making it hard for the Swans (and probably everyone else). Unless he breaks down again he will be offered big coin elsewhere so it comes down to what loyalty discount he would accept to stay a Swan? It's 50/50 in my view whether he stays or goes. Either way the better he goes this year the better it will be for him and us in terms of what we might get in return. A definite hole would be left in our forward line without him. We are already too reliant on buddy.

Perhaps we can get Jessie White back in return from Collingwood? 555 only joking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't have any bargaining power apart from matching whatever he gets offered. So the better he plays the more he gets offered which means we can't match it. He's a RFA so we would be at the mercy of AFL compensation. Same as hawthorn when it came to Franklin.

Mug Punter
19th April 2017, 04:04 PM
The whole Salary Cap situation is increasingly making it impossible for clubs to plan their lists, I mean technically we don't even have a cap for this year and quite honestly it could well remain unresolved until the end of the season.

I think the AFLPA actually have some balls with this now. For starters the elite in the game (Dangerfield and Pendlebury to name a couple) are leading the charge.

And I may be in the minority but I believe that the players deserve their fair share and I don't believe they are getting it. Yes there is a $2m one off increase but after that it is a measly 1% a year after all the extra money the game gets for the new TV deal. All the time when fat cats like Gillon have their snouts in the trough.

I'm really disappointed in the AFL's hardball stance here, it was widely being reported that there would be a big jump then 3% for the rest of the deal. That seems fair to me and I just cannot see why it can't be done.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't have any bargaining power apart from matching whatever he gets offered. So the better he plays the more he gets offered which means we can't match it. He's a RFA so we would be at the mercy of AFL compensation. Same as hawthorn when it came to Franklin.

He would be a prize recruit and the big thing of course for the receiving club is not giving up draft picks.

Not that we will be able to complain about the system

Boddo
19th April 2017, 04:16 PM
The whole Salary Cap situation is increasingly making it impossible for clubs to plan their lists, I mean technically we don't even have a cap for this year and quite honestly it could well remain unresolved until the end of the season.

I think the AFLPA actually have some balls with this now. For starters the elite in the game (Dangerfield and Pendlebury to name a couple) are leading the charge.

And I may be in the minority but I believe that the players deserve their fair share and I don't believe they are getting it. Yes there is a $2m one off increase but after that it is a measly 1% a year after all the extra money the game gets for the new TV deal. All the time when fat cats like Gillon have their snouts in the trough.

I'm really disappointed in the AFL's hardball stance here, it was widely being reported that there would be a big jump then 3% for the rest of the deal. That seems fair to me and I just cannot see why it can't be done.

- - - Updated - - -

He would be a prize recruit and the big thing of course for the receiving club is not giving up draft picks.

Not that we will be able to complain about the system

Can't rely on a system that gave Melbourne pick 3 for Frawley and gave Hawthorn pick 19 for Franklin. It's a lottery. The AFL have never explained what the system is and I honestly don't believe there is a system when it comes to compensation. So I wouldn't hold my breath expecting to receive anything relevant to what we have put into him.

Industrial Fan
19th April 2017, 04:30 PM
Free agency is rubbish anyhow. Never mind that its pick3 and 19, but everyone gets penalised that isnt drafting a free agent, and it stinks.

Why should anyone have a pick pushed back because we drafted Franklin? The Swans have been a big beneficiary of free agency with Franklin alone, but the compensation side of free agency is broken.

Ludwig
19th April 2017, 04:43 PM
It's not just the point of losing Reid cause when you look at our key position forward stocks the cupboard is basically bare apart from Franklin & Reid. Who's next in line? Toby Pink has a while to go, I know some will say Rohan but he's a medium tall. Some will say Dawson but he may not even make it. Some will say Blakey but he's not even at the club n may take 4 more years to develop. You could draft someone this year but he will take atleast 3 years to come on. Our KPF stocks are very low.As I have said before, I really hope we can keep Reid. He is fragile, which has certainly been an impediment to his development. Collingwood would seem the logical one to make him a big offer as they are desperate for another key forward and there is the brother connection. I don't know if playing with his brother is something Sam would like to do or not. His parents probably would be happy if they did.

I don't think our situation is quite as dire as you suggest.

We still have Franklin for 5 more years after this one. I think he will be able to play out his contract and perform at a high level.
We usually play with a forward-ruckman plus a main ruckman. Actually 3 of our 4 ruckman are forwards, although Sinclair is unfortunately not too good at either position.
Many teams are now playing with 1 KPF and the second KPF as a 2nd ruckman. After that, they have a variety of small to medium forwards. Adelaide, probably the best offensive side in the comp play with Walker and Jenkins in the KPF roles, plus 2 medium and 2 small forwards. It's quality that counts.
We could mimic the Crows setup with something like Franklin, Tippett or Cameron, Rohan, Dawson, Papley and Hayward.
We could have an excess of KPDs in a post-Grundy era if things go well. Aliir, Melican, Maibaum, Talia and AJ all can be quality key defenders. 3 of them could be used as forwards. Aliir, Maibaum and AJ have all played forward during parts of their careers. We have been playing Maibaum forward in parts of games to try him out there.
Toby Pink is not without a chance. For the last pick in the draft he's a pretty good prospect. Way too early to make a call on him, but certainly interested in his development. Good size and can play forward, defence and in the ruck.
If Reid does leave we should be sitting with 2 1st round picks in a draft with good KPFs, so it is not unrealistic to think that we could get one this year and then get Blakey in 2018.

Reid's partner is not much in the news. I wonder if she's a Sydney girl. It could be the critical factor. He also has 2 Sydney dogs. The ugly one must be around 6 yo now and not keen to move to Melbourne. Could be the decider.

I'd prefer to see us get rid of Tippo and match the $$$ to keep reid, but I completely agree Mug that it wouldn't be the worse outcome in that circumstance, if we got the 1st round draft pick it should probably give us (knowing the AFL, they'll find a way to screw us over).The Tippett situation has nothing to do with Reid. We just have to accept that Tippett is contracted until the end of 2018, probably on around 800k. No club will pick up his contract for next year. What happens in 2019 and beyond with Tippett is something we can deal with next year. A lot of ruckmen seem to get injured. He's probably going around the norm. When he's up and firing, he's a very important part of the team.

Boddo
19th April 2017, 04:49 PM
Free agency is rubbish anyhow. Never mind that its pick3 and 19, but everyone gets penalised that isnt drafting a free agent, and it stinks.

Why should anyone have a pick pushed back because we drafted Franklin? The Swans have been a big beneficiary of free agency with Franklin alone, but the compensation side of free agency is broken.

Because Franklin n Reid are the perfect examples of why there needs to be compensation. Both clubs have invested heavily into both players and then in their prime lose them for virtually nothing. We are talking about a 25 year old Reid coming into his prime not a 29 year old Reid. The issue with compo is it's tied to ladder positions not what the player is worth. No way was Franklin worth only pick 19 & now the Hawks are paying for it. If they were truly compensated they would have a couple young guns coming up through the ranks which they deserve. Now that's compensation for one of the best players to ever play the game. They were the ones that could see & develop franklins potential and not pick Richard Tambling. And clubs get penalised with ladder positions all the time now with the order changing with F/S & academy picks.

Boddo
19th April 2017, 05:03 PM
As I have said before, I really hope we can keep Reid. He is fragile, which has certainly been an impediment to his development. Collingwood would seem the logical one to make him a big offer as they are desperate for another key forward and there is the brother connection. I don't know if playing with his brother is something Sam would like to do or not. His parents probably would be happy if they did.

I don't think our situation is quite as dire as you suggest.

We still have Franklin for 5 more years after this one. I think he will be able to play out his contract and perform at a high level.
We usually play with a forward-ruckman plus a main ruckman. Actually 3 of our 4 ruckman are forwards, although Sinclair is unfortunately not too good at either position.
Many teams are now playing with 1 KPF and the second KPF as a 2nd ruckman. After that, they have a variety of small to medium forwards. Adelaide, probably the best offensive side in the comp play with Walker and Jenkins in the KPF roles, plus 2 medium and 2 small forwards. It's quality that counts.
We could mimic the Crows setup with something like Franklin, Tippett or Cameron, Rohan, Dawson, Papley and Hayward.
We could have an excess of KPDs in a post-Grundy era if things go well. Aliir, Melican, Maibaum, Talia and AJ all can be quality key defenders. 3 of them could be used as forwards. Aliir, Maibaum and AJ have all played forward during parts of their careers. We have been playing Maibaum forward in parts of games to try him out there.
Toby Pink is not without a chance. For the last pick in the draft he's a pretty good prospect. Way too early to make a call on him, but certainly interested in his development. Good size and can play forward, defence and in the ruck.
If Reid does leave we should be sitting with 2 1st round picks in a draft with good KPFs, so it is not unrealistic to think that we could get one this year and then get Blakey in 2018.

Reid's partner is not much in the news. I wonder if she's a Sydney girl. It could be the critical factor. He also has 2 Sydney dogs. The ugly one must be around 6 yo now and not keen to move to Melbourne. Could be the decider.

The Tippett situation has nothing to do with Reid. We just have to accept that Tippett is contracted until the end of 2018, probably on around 800k. No club will pick up his contract for next year. What happens in 2019 and beyond with Tippett is something we can deal with next year. A lot of ruckmen seem to get injured. He's probably going around the norm. When he's up and firing, he's a very important part of the team.

We have Franklin in his prime for maybe 2-3 more years tops. No way will he be the player he is in four years time.

They are bit part forwards not you kpf required.

Agree it is quality n we don't have it atm.

By the time most of those players are in their prime the game will have moved on from what the crows are doing now.

All those defenders failed as forwards coming up from juniors. Maibaum made it because he moved to defence. Aliir played ruck in Brisbane academy & then moved to defence when moved to WA. There is no way you can count on anything when it comes to AJ.

Pink I agree has potential but it's long way off from him holding down a key forward position in the seniors.

I'm not trying to argue and it's great that your looking for positives but we have to face reality and that's that our KPF stocks are low. Yes we will go to the draft but there is no way we draft say Blakey at the end of 2018 n he steps in as the key prospect in 2019. That's why I feel Reid is important to keep. You would have an aging Franklin with Reid in his prime in 2019 with say Blakey playing mobile 3rd tall learning off them.

mcs
19th April 2017, 05:14 PM
He also has 2 Sydney dogs. The ugly one must be around 6 yo now and not keen to move to Melbourne. Could be the decider. .

Haha good one Ludwig!

The Tippett situation has nothing to do with Reid. We just have to accept that Tippett is contracted until the end of 2018, probably on around 800k. No club will pick up his contract for next year. What happens in 2019 and beyond with Tippett is something we can deal with next year. A lot of ruckmen seem to get injured. He's probably going around the norm. When he's up and firing, he's a very important part of the team.

I agree Ludwig that it is highly unlikely he would be going anywhere - but funnier things have happened, and picking up more than a decent part of the tab for a year would not be a particularly unusual step, should the club decide that they want to move on from Tippett, and it enabled us to do something else with the partial saving we would make (for instance, matching any offer for Reid). I don't at all think it will happen - my original comment was made on the basis that I'd prefer to see him moved on then lose Reid by not matching an offer.

CureTheSane
19th April 2017, 05:48 PM
Strange that everyone wants to keep Reid and dump Tippett because Tippo is injury prone.
I haven't been a huge fan of Reid, but am slowly being sold on him. Still a fan or Tippett and hope he stays but at the end of the season I dare say one of the two will go.

Ludwig
19th April 2017, 05:48 PM
We have Franklin in his prime for maybe 2-3 more years tops. No way will he be the player he is in four years time.

They are bit part forwards not you kpf required.

Agree it is quality n we don't have it atm.

By the time most of those players are in their prime the game will have moved on from what the crows are doing now.

All those defenders failed as forwards coming up from juniors. Maibaum made it because he moved to defence. Aliir played ruck in Brisbane academy & then moved to defence when moved to WA. There is no way you can count on anything when it comes to AJ.

Pink I agree has potential but it's long way off from him holding down a key forward position in the seniors.

I'm not trying to argue and it's great that your looking for positives but we have to face reality and that's that our KPF stocks are low. Yes we will go to the draft but there is no way we draft say Blakey at the end of 2018 n he steps in as the key prospect in 2019. That's why I feel Reid is important to keep. You would have an aging Franklin with Reid in his prime in 2019 with say Blakey playing mobile 3rd tall learning off them.I agree that it would be great if we could secure Reid with a new contract. But it may be out of our control if he really wants to accept an offer from another club. If that's what happens, we will just have to move on and find a way.

There is good reason to feel positive about finding a solution if Reid does move on. Let's face it, Reid hasn't set the world on fire yet, he's been out a lot with injury, and we've still done well enough during that time. I think the timing is just right for when Blakey is due to come on board and if we lose Reid, we will probably go for a KPF in this year's draft. You call Aliir, Maibaum and AJ failures as forwards who were moved to defence, but I think this is an unfair call as these positional changes were made when they were just teenagers and Maibaum played well as a forward last year. We are trying to cover Tippett by drafting Cameron. I don't know what more we can do to deal with the situation, one that has yet to eventuate. If we don't renew Tippett's contract for 2019, and things don't work out well in securing another good KPF, we perhaps could go to the free agency market. So there are plenty of solutions and the club always seems to find a way.

Boddo
19th April 2017, 06:12 PM
I agree that it would be great if we could secure Reid with a new contract. But it may be out of our control if he really wants to accept an offer from another club. If that's what happens, we will just have to move on and find a way.

There is good reason to feel positive about finding a solution if Reid does move on. Let's face it, Reid hasn't set the world on fire yet, he's been out a lot with injury, and we've still done well enough during that time. I think the timing is just right for when Blakey is due to come on board and if we lose Reid, we will probably go for a KPF in this year's draft. You call Aliir, Maibaum and AJ failures as forwards who were moved to defence, but I think this is an unfair call as these positional changes were made when they were just teenagers and Maibaum played well as a forward last year. We are trying to cover Tippett by drafting Cameron. I don't know what more we can do to deal with the situation, one that has yet to eventuate. If we don't renew Tippett's contract for 2019, and things don't work out well in securing another good KPF, we perhaps could go to the free agency market. So there are plenty of solutions and the club always seems to find a way.

Agree it's probably out of our control. Blakey will be a gun no doubt about that but he will def need bigger bodied more experienced forwards around him or they are just throwing him to the wolves the same as Moore at the pies. Aliir played ruck with the Brisbane academy n moved to defence over here in WA. Was tried occasionally as a forward n was not much. Maibaum only got drafted after moving out of forward to defence, he's played occasional stints in the forward line in the neafl only to get a touch as the ball was not down there a lot. Definitely being groomed to take over Grundy. AJ I never said was a failure just said there is no guarantee he'll even make it back, hope he does though. The club has always found a way but the last time they found a way was we ended up with Sinclair for good coin. Atm if Reid left I don't think there is an answer apart from Tippet to permanent KPF n that's about it. I do hold out a lot of hope for Pink, Dawson but they are basically untried. But time will tell. Cheers

Mountain Man
19th April 2017, 06:15 PM
Cameron as a forward might be a reasonable short term solution - and bring back Tom D to 'strengthen' the ruck

Nico
19th April 2017, 06:32 PM
He didn't play last year so there wasn't a hole in the forward line then. St Kilda has pick 1 and McCartin doesn't look likely. Reiwolt is due to retire so trade him to the Saints if he wants to go.

Nico
19th April 2017, 06:37 PM
Reid is the first of unsigned players that give likes of Niall something to talk about every year.

moocher
19th April 2017, 06:39 PM
Why wouldn't we just back end a contract for Reid so in 2018 he is on a restricted amount that is compensated for in 2019 & beyond when Tippo's contract is completed and he is either retired or traded. Am I missing something?

Boddo
19th April 2017, 06:56 PM
He didn't play last year so there wasn't a hole in the forward line then. St Kilda has pick 1 and McCartin doesn't look likely. Reiwolt is due to retire so trade him to the Saints if he wants to go.

hes a RFA. There will be no trade.

Industrial Fan
19th April 2017, 07:50 PM
Because Franklin n Reid are the perfect examples of why there needs to be compensation. Both clubs have invested heavily into both players and then in their prime lose them for virtually nothing. We are talking about a 25 year old Reid coming into his prime not a 29 year old Reid. The issue with compo is it's tied to ladder positions not what the player is worth. No way was Franklin worth only pick 19 & now the Hawks are paying for it. If they were truly compensated they would have a couple young guns coming up through the ranks which they deserve. Now that's compensation for one of the best players to ever play the game. They were the ones that could see & develop franklins potential and not pick Richard Tambling. And clubs get penalised with ladder positions all the time now with the order changing with F/S & academy picks.no issue with clubs being compensated but it shouldn't be at the cost of every other club. The club drafting the player should pay - no one else.

Free agency should be some form of arbitration to help trades rather than a compensation raffle.

So whichever club picks up Fyfe won't pay anything in draft terms but the 16 clubs not involved in the trade are penalised as their picks get pushed back.

I don't know if it's just me that thinks the system is broken but to me it's a disaster.

Ludwig
19th April 2017, 08:33 PM
I don't know if it's just me that thinks the system is broken but to me it's a disaster.You are far from alone on this matter. Many commentators have pointed out the failings of the current system.

The problem with having the club who signs a free agent give compensation undermines what the AFLPA has achieved with getting the players free agency, for if the club has to compensate for signing a free agent, well, it really isn't free agency, is it?

The other option to the present system is just to abandon AFL compensation completely, so we have a true free agency. The problem the AFL see in this solution is that the stronger clubs will simply raid the weaker clubs. It's already happening with contracted players who are not free agents. Without any compensation unpopular clubs will be drained of even more talent than has been happening. I think this solution will most negatively impact on the Queensland clubs, but might also have a negative impact on the Swans and Giants in the long term. The offset to this has been the academies, but the AFL seems to be continually eroding this method to equlise the talent moving to the traditional AFL states.

Mug Punter
19th April 2017, 08:34 PM
no issue with clubs being compensated but it shouldn't be at the cost of every other club. The club drafting the player should pay - no one else.

Free agency should be some form of arbitration to help trades rather than a compensation raffle.

So whichever club picks up Fyfe won't pay anything in draft terms but the 16 clubs not involved in the trade are penalised as their picks get pushed back.

I don't know if it's just me that thinks the system is broken but to me it's a disaster.

Couldn't agree more but just not sure how you work out what the drafting club should give up....

Billericay
19th April 2017, 08:55 PM
This was only two or three weeks ago Reid a happy Swan - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-03-29/reid-a-happy-swan)

Soon to be out of contract Sydney forward Sam Reid says he has no real interest in joining brother Ben at Collingwood or any other Melbourne-based club at the end of the year... he told SEN radio on Wednesday that moving home to Victoria wasn't in his future plans.

"I do love it up here (in Sydney), I love the footy club, I love the lifestyle and there's not really any reason for me to look elsewhere, to be honest."

Mug Punter
19th April 2017, 09:32 PM
This was only two or three weeks ago Reid a happy Swan - sydneyswans.com.au (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-03-29/reid-a-happy-swan)

Soon to be out of contract Sydney forward Sam Reid says he has no real interest in joining brother Ben at Collingwood or any other Melbourne-based club at the end of the year... he told SEN radio on Wednesday that moving home to Victoria wasn't in his future plans.

"I do love it up here (in Sydney), I love the footy club, I love the lifestyle and there's not really any reason for me to look elsewhere, to be honest."

That's all great but if he can get an extra million dollars plus over 5 years to see out his career then it becomes less straightforward.

I think we should be able to come up with a pretty decent offer given that Tippett comes off the wages bill in 2019 so I'm cautiously optimistic unlike with Jetta and Mitchell who I called early as departures

Mug Punter
19th April 2017, 09:35 PM

I'm almost certain she is a Sydney girl, they've been together a while now, have bought a nice house together and all that. Think she has quite a good career here as well. All good signs I guess....

RogueSwan
19th April 2017, 09:52 PM
Couldn't agree more but just not sure how you work out what the drafting club should give up....

Maybe just get rid of the whole free agency scenario????
Most trades that happen these days seem to be dictated by the footballer wanting the move anyway. The footballer gets the move/money they want and the club they are leaving gets picks or players.

S.S. Bleeder
19th April 2017, 09:53 PM
Because Franklin n Reid are the perfect examples of why there needs to be compensation. Both clubs have invested heavily into both players and then in their prime lose them for virtually nothing. We are talking about a 25 year old Reid coming into his prime not a 29 year old Reid. The issue with compo is it's tied to ladder positions not what the player is worth. No way was Franklin worth only pick 19 & now the Hawks are paying for it. If they were truly compensated they would have a couple young guns coming up through the ranks which they deserve. Now that's compensation for one of the best players to ever play the game. They were the ones that could see & develop franklins potential and not pick Richard Tambling. And clubs get penalised with ladder positions all the time now with the order changing with F/S & academy picks.

It's true that the compo pick position is reliant on ladder position, however, the problem is that they don't have a legitimate and fair review system of what round that draft pick should be. Frawley is the prime example. His annual value and contract length didn't justify his first round position and people who know the system were extremely surprised when it was announced. Given their record, I would have no faith in the VFL making a fair assessment of Reids value. They'll just screw us over again as they usually do. We've been too successful.

Ludwig
19th April 2017, 10:38 PM
Maybe just get rid of the whole free agency scenario????
Most trades that happen these days seem to be dictated by the footballer wanting the move anyway. The footballer gets the move/money they want and the club they are leaving gets picks or players.Can't get rid of it. It's in the CBA. The AFLPA want the number of years lowered from 8 to 6, so if anything, it's going in the other direction. The point is that the players want the ability to negotiate the best deal for themselves, but if the club they wanted to go to has to give up something in return it restricts their ability to move to their club of choice.

aardvark
19th April 2017, 10:46 PM
Collingwood already have a Reid that breaks down all the time. Why would they want two?

Markwebbos
19th April 2017, 11:38 PM
Collingwood already have a Reid that breaks down all the time. Why would they want two?

To complete their collection?

Velour&Ruffles
19th April 2017, 11:48 PM

Great analysis. The "system" is well and truly effed. It is actually not about "compensation" at all.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not just you. It's high farce.

stellation
20th April 2017, 12:44 PM
Perhaps the same impulse that can lead people to buy multiple Datsun 120Ys in the hope they could salvage one good one out of the pieces?

mcs
20th April 2017, 12:50 PM
Perhaps the same impulse that can lead people to buy multiple Datsun 120Ys in the hope they could salvage one good one out of the pieces?

My old man had a Datsun 120Y for about 15 years, gave it basically no service at all, and it just kept on keeping on :)

stellation
20th April 2017, 01:04 PM
My old man had a Datsun 120Y for about 15 years, gave it basically no service at all, and it just kept on keeping on :)

So perhaps not that analogous to a Reid then. ;)

Markwebbos
20th April 2017, 02:14 PM

Harvesting spare parts / organs from Sam for Ben eh. What's Joel Tippett up to these days?

CureTheSane
21st April 2017, 02:31 AM

My 200B was like that.
I remember down the Mornington Peninsula one summer, I heard a funny noise from the engine. I stopped the car, popped the bonnet and realised it was the small amount of what that was left in the radiator boiling and bubbling.
Turned the engine back on, found a hose from the front yard of a house and topped it up and kept on going.
Fun times

aardvark
21st April 2017, 07:28 AM
I'd have thought Sam's more a Leyland P76.....

Dosser
21st April 2017, 08:09 AM
I'd have thought Sam's more a Leyland P76.....

He has a big boot.

mattybloods
21st April 2017, 09:46 AM
Harvesting spare parts / organs from Sam for Ben eh. What's Joel Tippett up to these days?

Haha I like your thinking! We've also got spare parts for Jack playing in the NEAFL

Markwebbos
21st April 2017, 10:18 AM
Haha I like your thinking! We've also got spare parts for Jack playing in the NEAFL

I think KJack has a lot of worn out parts need replacing

Doctor
21st April 2017, 04:36 PM
My 200B was like that.
I remember down the Mornington Peninsula one summer, I heard a funny noise from the engine. I stopped the car, popped the bonnet and realised it was the small amount of what that was left in the radiator boiling and bubbling.
Turned the engine back on, found a hose from the front yard of a house and topped it up and kept on going.
Fun times

Brilliant! I had a 180B that was pretty much the same as yours. I delivered a lot of pizzas in that car, and it never gave out on me.

annew
22nd April 2017, 09:24 AM
No Cookies | Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/teams/sydney/sam-reid-wants-to-extend-contract-with-sydney-swans-after-his-strong-start-to-2017/news-story/16330ef66796db9627d5ac0978d461e7)

Industrial Fan
22nd April 2017, 10:33 AM
The tone so far is not suggesting he'll leave. It's a fair way from the dreaded "we're just going to focus on footy and wait till the end of the season"

chalbilto
22nd April 2017, 01:11 PM
Following this report I feel confident that he will renew his contract and stay with the club.