PDA

View Full Version : Swans doing Yoga??

vagary
9th March 2003, 10:41 PM
i was flicking through the sunday tele when i saw this article about the sydney roosters and the sydney swans doing yoga as part of there training routine.

(can't find the article on the website, if any one can, please post it)

i thought this was interesting. anyone else see the article?

desredandwhite
10th March 2003, 08:54 AM
We don't get the tele, so I haven't seen that one yet. Ah well, if it helps prevent injuries, I'm all for it!!!

jude_boltons_babe
10th March 2003, 01:23 PM
i saw the article it was good it had jared crouch josh thewlis nick nic fosdike bold and the roosters it was good i would scan it but my scanner is misbehaving

bricon
10th March 2003, 02:02 PM
Here?s a copy of the text of the article from page 7 of yesterday?s Sunday Telegraph; the article was accompanied by 2 photos of Swans payers and a larger photo of Roosters? players in yoga positions.

New age Roosters take yoga positions
by Adam Hawse

S 0 ME of Sydney's most famous footballers have taken up yoga in the pursuit of a tougher physique.
The ancient Indian discipline was initially introduced by the Sydney City Roosters to improve their physical conditioning.

The team now practises Bickram yoga, a more demanding form of the ancient Indian discipline that helps
toughen the mind. "We brought it in mainly to add another dimension to our stretching and flexibility program," said Roosters' conditioner Ron Palmer. He now makes his star players practise Bickram yoga in the sauna. "You're in a room heated to around 38 degrees," Palmer said. "Because It's so warm, it makes your body supple and allows the players to get into stretches more pronounced than normal. "We get the guys to hold poses, which can be uncomfortable with all the sweating, but it teaches them to be mentally strong ? and to maintain focus," Palmer said.

And it's not just rugby league players who are now moving into New Age training. The local AFL boys, the Sydney Swans, have also joined the trend. "Initially the boys thought, 'Geese, yoga?' and had visions of people sitting on their heads with their legs behind their backs," said Swans' star Jared Crouch. "But now we think it's fantastic.
We work on the areas of our body that need stretching, like a hamstring or a calf.

"You feel refreshed and ready to go afterwards."

Jimmy C
10th March 2003, 10:30 PM
Jason Dunstall found yoga to be quite helpful also.

jude_boltons_babe
10th March 2003, 10:34 PM
alot of famous sports stars love yoga

Louellyn
11th March 2003, 08:07 AM
Anything that helps them put their ankles behind their ears like they were doing on Saturday has got to be good!!!

The headspace philosophy of yoga will be helpful also, sort of Zen and the art of being a Swans Player....

bomber-princess
13th March 2003, 03:25 PM
if anybody is interested in viewing the pictures of the swans doing yoga, go to www.newspix.com.au. type in sydney swans and you will get both pictures, they do however, have newspix across them once blownup.