PDA

View Full Version : VFL Round 8: Sydney University v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Henson Park

ugg
15th May 2017, 10:57 AM
NEAFL Round 8: Sydney University v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Henson Park
Friday 19th May 2017
7:00pm

Sydney Uni are promoting this game heavily, see below for details. Note inaccuracy about Giants not playing in Sydney as they are hosting Richmond Saturday twilight at Spotless Stadium.

Ex-Swans Xavier Richards and Jack Hiscox are playing well for them this season along with a big bunch of ex-Swans Academy players including the majority of last year's NEAFL Development squad - Darcy Baron-Hay, Ryan Hebron, Matt Wilson, Ned Reinhard and Nathan Cooper.

Friday Night Community Football: SUANFC vs Sydney Swans - Sydney University Australian National Football Club : Sydney University Australian National Football Club (http://suanfc.com/friday-night-community-football-suanfc-vs-sydney-swans/)

On Friday night, SUANFC will face the Sydney Swans in a blockbuster Friday night NEAFL clash at Henson Park.

In what�s set to be a cracker of a match, the two top four sides will do battle from 7pm, with plenty happening off the field too.

A full canteen will be operating for the entire game, along with a foodtruck, ensuring supporters of all ages will have plenty of food to choose from come May 19th.

There will be kids activities off the field throughout the night, while Auskickers from our junior-affiliated Clubs will take to the field at halftime of the NEAFL clash for a kick under lights.

With neither the Swans or Giants AFL sides playing in Sydney that week, Friday night community football, presented by Bendigo Bank, provides a great chance for families to enjoy local NSW football in a great environment.

Entry to the dog-friendly Henson Park is free, with some on-site parking available.

http://suanfc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/14354_SYDNUNSP_SUANFC-v-Sydney-Swans-Poster-700x991.jpg

Monty
15th May 2017, 12:05 PM
And I for one am looking forward to this game. It may help answer a few questions like:
1. How good is the depth of the current list? SU should provide our biggest test (ignoring R1 loss) given most of our troops are back on deck
2. Did Beetson make the right decision in ignoring last years development crop and investing in new talent. My guess is that the 2016 Academy crew will have had this date writ large on their calendars since the draw was released.

I am guessing there will be minimal changes from last weeks NEAFL team given the six day turnaround and the quality of the win over the Kangas.

barracuda
15th May 2017, 01:09 PM
This game looks like a ripper. Can't wait!

- - - Updated - - -

This game looks like a ripper. Can't wait!

Given uni is a non afl side the swans have to play two under 18 academy players. It will be an awesome experience for the two kids that get a run!

liz
15th May 2017, 01:47 PM
Given uni is a non afl side the swans have to play two under 18 academy players. It will be an awesome experience for the two kids that get a run!

Really? I thought that under the last NEAFL revamp they did away with restrictions on who the AFL clubs could play. That said, I am sure there are U18 players who will equip themselves well.

bloodspirit
15th May 2017, 01:51 PM
First, ugg, thanks for getting this thread rolling early this week. I was pining for it last week until it started.

Second, this game does look like a ripper and I'll be going. I've also invited a mate and his two boys, all of whom have no existing interest in footy and they're gonna come... so who knows.

Third, here's hoping a good turn out leads to more games being fixture at Henson instead of bloody BISP which is too far away. Henson and Drummoyne are both great options and more convenient for more Swans fans. What happened here? Last year all the Swans games at Henson and Drummoyne kept getting re-fixture-d to BISP at the last minute.

Go Swans. Let's show the comp who's boss.

p.s. Will it be free and will there be parking?

The Student
15th May 2017, 03:30 PM
Yes, it most certainly is free and there is limited parking inside the venue.

Fingers crossed the weather holds off.

Doctor
15th May 2017, 08:14 PM
It's great to see Uni going so well and that the increased standard of local footy, via those who have come through the Academy, is now becoming apparent. Get one strong NEAFL team based on Sydney then start to build up a second one. Soon there will be more ex-Academy players who want to play NEAFL, and are good enough, than there are spots for them, so that'll be the obvious move.

dejavoodoo44
15th May 2017, 11:07 PM
It's great to see Uni going so well and that the increased standard of local footy, via those who have come through the Academy, is now becoming apparent. Get one strong NEAFL team based on Sydney then start to build up a second one. Soon there will be more ex-Academy players who want to play NEAFL, and are good enough, than there are spots for them, so that'll be the obvious move.

Yes, I also think that it's a good thing that Uni is doing well, probably through an influx of a few previously listed Swans and young guys that went through our academy and didn't quite make the grade. As you say, it will increase the standard of the NEAFL: which will give our reserves more genuine match practice. I also suspect that, at least some of the players that didn't quite make it previously, are still on our radar. That is, if a player who wasn't drafted as an 18 year old, plays an excellent season or two with Uni, then there's no reason why we can't draft him. In fact, there's a fair chance that some of the players would've been told just that.
I'm also a bit surprised that the other clubs haven't really been running with it. I mean, Southport only has a couple of ex-Suns, and I didn't recognise too many ex-Giants when I looked at the Canberra side the other day.

ugg
16th May 2017, 01:13 AM
You're looking at the wrong Ca- team. All the ex-Giants are lining up for Carlton.

Bloody Hell
16th May 2017, 05:03 AM
I'm just waiting to see what Dawson does.

If he repeats what happened last week, against stiff opposition...we have one here.

Ludwig
16th May 2017, 04:58 PM
Looking forward to Ben Ronke's debut. It's been a long wait. Good not to see either Ben or COR's name on our injury list.

https://pumabydesign001.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/rip-van-winkle-ouat.jpg?w=634&h=250

dejavoodoo44
16th May 2017, 10:29 PM
You're looking at the wrong Ca- team. All the ex-Giants are lining up for Carlton.

"So, SOS, what do you think you can bring to the position of list manager at Carlton?"
"Ummm, probably about a quarter of the GWS list."
"Oh, okay then...you're hired."

rb4x
17th May 2017, 09:56 AM
Ronke has not been on the injury list all year!!!

ugg
17th May 2017, 10:51 AM
The weather forecast says 80% chance of rain. Are there any covered areas at Henson Park to watch the footy from?

Ludwig
17th May 2017, 11:22 AM
Ronke has not been on the injury list all year!!!This is because Ronke is the Traveling Emergency for The Injury List, which means that he's very close to senior selection. The Swans have been keeping this under wraps because they know the Herald Sun is ready to publish a"Victorian Clubs circling Ben Ronke" story, which his manager will use to push up his salary demands in contract negotiations.

This is a developing story. More to come.

aardvark
17th May 2017, 12:19 PM
The weather forecast says 80% chance of rain. Are there any covered areas at Henson Park to watch the footy from?

Seems there is. But you better get there early.....1861

bloodspirit
18th May 2017, 11:02 AM
Such a bummer about the weather! This may affect my plans to go. Weather: Heavy rain set to drench Australia's east coast, flood warnings issued - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-17/bom-says-significant-rain-event-set-to-lash-east-coast/8534298) :-(:frown

ugg
18th May 2017, 11:27 AM
Looks like it's being streamed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_glErjDXYdI

18th May 2017, 11:44 AM
LOL!

Eight former Giants on the Carton list, Marchbank is a winner, reckon Pickett may be in time, Plowman hmmmm, but reckon 5-6 are busts and they have given GWS a lot of good picks to secure just one very good player and a couple of question marks. In the fullness of time it may prove that all this trading with GWS did them no favours.

SOS had a squillion high picks at GWS and certainly got a lot right but he also got a lot of high picks badly wrong so jury is out on whether he is a good recruiter.

bloodspirit
23rd May 2017, 10:11 AM
Great game. I look forward to ugg posting the stats and mvp and coaches votes etc. Plus his match report!

My mate that had never shown a smidgin of interest in the footy wound up bailing with the weather so we didn't go but I reckon I'll try him again next time. Instead I watched online the next morning. Was a performance every bit as good as the seniors. My memory has faded a little but from memory the players that stood out included:

* Our backline all were solid: Talia, Maibaum, Laidler, Aliir, Marsh. Pretty formidable really. They didn't have that much to do. None of them demanded a recall to the seniors. I can't remember how much time Marsh spent on the ball but he looked good at NEAFL level when he got the ball.
* Close to our best player was Darcy Cameron. He has a terrific work rate. An easy to find example of this was the first play of the game: he got the hitout, we lost the clearance and then he intercept marked the ball near defensive 50 moments later. He was like that most of the game. Good tank. Seems ready to step up to AFL level if he is called upon.
* BJ was busy and showed leadership but didn't do anything to suggest he has the skills at AFL level
* Leonardis and Rose were ok but didn't impress.
* Fisher had a much better game than last week and was involved and scored goals.
* Dawson didn't play - he was travelling emergency.
* Florent was really classy, especially in the wet conditions. He definitely stands out and will surely be a regular in the seniors in future. Potentially even this week. Who is going to get called up for Harry C? Dawson? Florent? Aliir? Kizza? Robinson? I reckon it will be one of them. I reckon Kizza should return via the 2s. Aliir is not like for like (which didn't stop them switching Florent out and Newman in a couple of weeks back) so I reckon he won't come in unless they decide to give Melican a break (I hope not - I think continuity is good and Melican has been solid despite not racking up many stats). Much as Dawson deserves a reward for his body of work capped by his great effort two weeks ago, I think Robbo should be the picked to return to the team as he did enough to show he has recovered from his injury. He is a valuable utility player and I like him. Then again, it may come down to match ups.
* Pink didn't stand out this week but I still really like him. Gives good effort and I think he makes good decisions too. He will hopefully just continue to improve the more games he gets into him. He's still so young.
* Murray? Did he even play? I can't remember. Is he injured?
* Foote was merely alright.
* Fox had a good game. He played on the ball a fair bit but also went forward and kicked at least one goal I believe.
* Edwards was good. Very energetic, as ever. I didn't notice signs of his shoulder (?) injury. Some good disposals.
* Robbo was one of our better players.
* I don't remember O'Riordan much. I guess he was part of the solid backline. He hasn't been using his pace as much this season. Didn't, from memory, do anything spectacularly good or bad.

So my bests would be something like: Cameron, Fisher, Florent, Edwards, Robinson, Marsh. But it's hard doing this days after watching the match and I've probably stuffed up somewhere.

ugg
23rd May 2017, 10:40 AM
Murray was not named for this game. No news on his absence

Robbo was hit late and high by Zac O Brien who was reported. It happened while the stream was offline with issues so we can't see how bad it was

A lot of niggle in this game which was a little surprising for me with many Uni players having a connection to the Swans

Aliir had an altercation with Bonney which looked horrible when watching it live as it seemed as if Aliir just punched Bonney in the face but on replay it was an open hand push to the chest

When Richards kicked a big goal from outside fifty he went around offering high fives to Swans players which got under the skin of Brandon Jack in particular who was really incensed and really wanted to have a go at X. Eventually a free kick was paid against the Swans and Uni kicked a second goal but I'm not sure who was the culprit

Monty
23rd May 2017, 01:15 PM
Robbo cannot take a trick. I understand Robbo's jaw took the OBrien hit. Includes broken teeth and a fractured jaw. He will be out for many weeks.

ugg
23rd May 2017, 01:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qXbxaG0.png
http://i.imgur.com/ZmXNTiK.png

ugg
23rd May 2017, 01:38 PM
NEAFL MVP votes
Sydney University v Sydney

9: Oliver Florent (Sydney)
5: Darcy Cameron (Sydney)
5: Brandon Jack (Sydney)
4: Jeremy Laidler (Sydney)
3: Tom Young (Sydney Uni)
2: James Rose (Sydney)
1: Lewis Stevenson (Sydney Uni)
1: Aaron Day (Sydney Uni)

Florent 5-4
Cameron/Jack One is 5-0 the other 3-2
Laidler 4-0
Young 3-0
Rose 2-0
Stevenson 1-0
Day 1-0

liz
23rd May 2017, 01:48 PM
NEAFL MVP votes
Sydney University v Sydney

9: Oliver Florent (Sydney)
5: Darcy Cameron (Sydney)
5: Brandon Jack (Sydney)
4: Jeremy Laidler (Sydney)
3: Tom Young (Sydney Uni)
2: James Rose (Sydney)
1: Lewis Stevenson (Sydney Uni)
1: Aaron Day (Sydney Uni)

Florent 5-4
Cameron/Jack One is 5-0 the other 3-2
Laidler 4-0
Young 3-0
Rose 2-0
Stevenson 1-0
Day 1-0

Jack was solid but I can't see either coach would have had him best on ground. I am guessing, therefore, that Cameron got five from one coach, probably the Uni coach given that the Swans didn't even name him in their best. For me he was the clear best on ground, with Florent a close second. I love how he's added some aggression to his game since the start of the year. His follow up work at centre bounces was terrific on Friday night.

Xavier high-fiving Swans players after kicking a goal sounds prattish to me, especially given how far down his team was by the time he scored the goal. He always came across as a reasonably intelligent, well-mannered chap so it surprises me he'd go there. Maybe his departure from the Swans is still burning a bit, notwithstanding that it had almost nothing to do with the Swans.

ugg
23rd May 2017, 01:51 PM
The NEAFL MVP is actually a combination of the Brownlow votes by the umpire and the AFLCA's votes by the coaches

The website explains:

The NEAFL MVP Award is presented to the player uniquely judged the best in the competition by a combination of umpire and coaches votes.

The votes are submitted post-game cast on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis. As such, the maximum amount of votes a single player can earn per match is 10 � courtesy of the maximum five votes from both umpires and coaches.

Ilett, Harper, enter NEAFL MVP Top 10 after max-vote performances – NEAFL (http://neafl.com.au/ilett-harper-enter-neafl-mvp-top-10-after-max-vote-performances/)

My guess is the umpires looked at the stats and gave Cameron BOG, and for some reason Shaw and his Uni counterpart didn't rate Cameron's game.

bloodspirit
23rd May 2017, 02:01 PM
Devo for Robbo! Poor bastard!

In that case I think it's down to Ollie, Kizza or Dawson in for Harry C. I'll vote for Dawson (he's earned it) but won't be surprised if they go with one of the others.

Personally, I would have given Cameron 5 votes (definitely not 0) - he was indefatigable, everywhere and effective.

- - - Updated - - -

In that case I think it's down to Ollie, Kizza or Dawson in for Harry C. I'll vote for Dawson (he's earned it) but won't be surprised if they go with one of the others.

Personally, I would have given Cameron 5 votes (definitely not 0) - he was indefatigable, everywhere and effective.

ugg
23rd May 2017, 02:31 PM
Clearances

Uni 48 Swans 45

Edwards 10
Cameron 6
Jack 6
Foote 4
Fisher 3
MacDonald 3
Robinson 3
Florent 2
Fox 2
Brown 1
Maibaum 1
Maze 1
Rose 1
Skrivanic 1
Wicks 1

barracuda
23rd May 2017, 02:45 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I saw the hit on Robertson. He was bending down to pick up the ball and the uni player ran straight through him from the side, impact his head with his hip.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I saw the hit on Robertson. He was bending down to pick up the ball and the uni player ran straight through him from the side, impact his head with his hip.

ugg
23rd May 2017, 02:47 PM
If you want to see the Richards incident, he kicked the goal at 1:03:13 and it all unfolds from there. For some reason he offers a high five to Laidler, who wasn't even his opponent (Maibaum was). BJ (the captain mind you) doesn't like this and goes after X, eventually reaching him and throwing Richards to ground followed by O'Brien throwing BJ to the ground in a similar fashion. Somehow after all this, O'Brien gets the free kick and kicks the goal.

Aliir's incident at 1:32:36, gets collected high, gets the free and as Bonney drags him up by the jumper Aliir retaliates by pushing Bonney in the chest with his forearm (not palm as I said earlier), gets the free reversed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_glErjDXYdI

barracuda
23rd May 2017, 02:48 PM
It was a yucky game for the toppies. The wet conditions suited the strong bodies and so the 17 year olds were unable to get much space. Brown was very quiet at first, then kicked into gear. When he did he did not look out of place. Scrivanic and Wicks worked hard but were forced to be outside runners due to the conditions. Unfortunately the wet meant the ball movement was pretty direct and so there was not much ball sharing. Liam Maze was ok, but the wet was never going to suit him.

bloodspirit
23rd May 2017, 03:40 PM
Barra, your efforts in keeping up with 2s, Academy, Rams etc are impressive. Thanks so much for the posts.

It seems, based on the stats that I overrated Marsh and Robbo's games. I think they must have done some good stuff early that stuck with me. Either that or there were just some crossed neurons. But otherwise I think the stats back up my observations. I just want to plug Cameron again, this time not for this game but because he has been consistently good (not as good as in this game but still very good) all season. It's too bad for him he has so much competition for his spot. I really hope we find a way of keeping him when his contract is up and don't lose him like Nankervis. Rucks get injured a bit so hopefully he will get a chance in the firsts at some stage and then, if he can show his wares, he may be able to overtake Sinclair and maybe even Tippett, at least as a value proposition. Long term, Naismith and Cameron could be an excellent combo. Unless we go with the almost equally tempting Towers/Aliir combo. :tongue: