Out Reid, Robbo
In. Dawson, Aliir

CureTheSane
16th July 2017, 06:00 PM
Out: Reid, Robbo, Smith
In: Sinclair, Cunningham, Allir

barry
16th July 2017, 06:03 PM
The only changes will be those that are forced.
So, maybe
Out: Reid
In: Sinclair?

iigrover
16th July 2017, 06:34 PM
IN: Pride
OUT: Hate

Mug Punter
16th July 2017, 06:37 PM
Assuming Reid is out I'd just bring in Dawson and play Gary at FF.

If Gary is out as well then we have some issues, I guess you bring in Sinkers. If this is the case then it would represent the first time I'd be wishing we had Xav on the list....

With a bit of luck it's just Sammy and he's back before the finals

No injuries and it's Dawson in for Robbo

16th July 2017, 06:45 PM
Dawson IN, must be given a run after a string of outstanding NEAFL games. Brings a difference to the forward line and kicks long and straight!

Blood Fever
16th July 2017, 07:27 PM
The only changes will be those that are forced.
So, maybe
Out: Reid
In: Sinclair?

In: Allir

Out: Reid(inj)

Dawson unlucky but need an extra tall for balance. It would have been Tippett but body let him down again. If not Allir, would be Sinclair but Allir is much better when the ball hits the deck.

liz
16th July 2017, 08:14 PM
Not sure why we need an extra tall in, not against the Saints. If the coaches weren't keen to do so against the giant Giants (before Cameron's withdrawal) I don't see that they will against the Saints. They have Bruce and Riewoldt, and presumably they'll stick with Battle next week. A bit like Richmond (though not quite as pronounced), the Saints' forward line relies a fair bit on its fleet of quick and short/medium players - the likes of Lonie, Billings, Gresham, Long and Sinclair.

AB Swannie
16th July 2017, 08:33 PM
Out: Reid (inj), Robinson
In: Dawson, Hayward

Club 80
16th July 2017, 09:13 PM
Outs - Reid, Hannas, Robinson

Ins - Aliir, Dawson, Heywood

Reid looked very hampered and you don't take chances with the Reid boys and soft tissue injuries. Bring in Aliir to give a contest up forward and help in the ruck.

It was mentioned in another thread that Hannas potentially had OP. If that's the case then it's time for some time off and he can be back to impact the finals.

I'm looking for an excuse to get Dawson into the seniors and Robinson is that excuse. Dawson is a similar size to Robinson but I think he would offer the team more attacking capability.

Billericay
16th July 2017, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is calling for Robinson's head? Didn't he play on Wilson who only had it 8 times?

If Reid is unable to play next week then I can see 3 candidates to replace him as a forward: Sinclair, Hayward, Dawson. Hayward's got more runs on the board but not in that role. Sinclair can't really mark the ball, so perhaps it's time to give Dawson a go. Can he play that role. Could Towers, given he's been rucking?

Jeynez
16th July 2017, 09:50 PM
Surely Sinclair in for Reid for team balance. Allows Rohan to take the third best tall defender (which we can hopefully exploit), and will allow Buddy to get more 1v1 situations

liz
16th July 2017, 10:08 PM
I'd be very surprised to see Hayward back next week. He landed very heavily taking a mark just before the quarter time siren in the NEAFL game. When he stood up, he was hobbling so badly I didn't think he was going to be able to take his kick. He did, and remarkably converted it with aplomb (from nearly 50m, on an angle). But as Ugg has reported, he did very little in the second quarter and sat out the second half.

The coaches aren't going to bring such a young, inexperienced player into the side until they are sure he's 100% right to play. You might take a chance with a key, senior experienced player who might not be fully fit, but not with an 18yo.

AB Swannie
16th July 2017, 10:32 PM
I'd be very surprised to see Hayward back next week. He landed very heavily taking a mark just before the quarter time siren in the NEAFL game. When he stood up, he was hobbling so badly I didn't think he was going to be able to take his kick. He did, and remarkably converted it with aplomb (from nearly 50m, on an angle). But as Ugg has reported, he did very little in the second quarter and sat out the second half.

The coaches aren't going to bring such a young, inexperienced player into the side until they are sure he's 100% right to play. You might take a chance with a key, senior experienced player who might not be fully fit, but not with an 18yo.

Thanks for the info Liz. I didn't realise this was the reason he sat out the second half. Aliir may be a big chance then.

ugg
16th July 2017, 10:37 PM
I doubt that Aliir will come in as a forward. Besides being able to kick goals one thing you do have to do as a forward at AFLlevel is stick to the structures that have been set in place by the coaches. I don't think Aliir has played enough as a forward for the Swans for him to be able to slot in

When XR was brought in last year, co incidentally for Round 18 last year, he had spent a good 6-7 games playing as a permanent forward (and kicking lots of goals). Aliir has only spent parts of games as a forward.

barry
16th July 2017, 10:55 PM
Allir Allir is running out of time to claim his place in the side. Longmire would want a settled side, say, 3 weeks out from the finals.

I'd say if he doesn't get recalled soon, we can rule a line through him for 2017.

ugg
17th July 2017, 01:23 AM
The latest on Tippett, Reid and Rohan. No mention of Hayward though

Nervous wait for Sydney Swans ruckman Kurt Tippett after injury scare (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-swans/nervous-wait-for-sydney-swans-ruckman-kurt-tippett-after-injury-scare-20170716-gxc997.html)

AnnieH
17th July 2017, 10:44 AM
OUT: Sweet Caroline

17th July 2017, 12:06 PM
So from the weekend it looks like Reid is the only concern out of the 22 seniors that played. So if it's Reid the forward out, it's got to be Dawson the forward in.

Tippett planned for 80 minutes last weekend but had that cut short. Needs to get over the injury/ies and have at least two full and quality games in the NEAFL before being considered, primarily as a FF given Naismith is doing most of the ruck work now.

Liz, explained what happened to Hayward at the weekend in a post above, taken off after a heavy landing. Will be given time so he's cherry ripe for the final run to and for the finals. Remember he doesn't turn 19 until October so he's very young even for a first year'er.

Billericay
17th July 2017, 12:31 PM

+1,000,000

Club 80
17th July 2017, 12:32 PM
I'm very much looking forward to the Rampe v Reiwalt battle. Two great players, two great athletes and two classy blokes.

Untamed Snark
17th July 2017, 01:16 PM

Delist ASAP

Cheer_Cheer
17th July 2017, 01:19 PM
I'm very much looking forward to the Rampe v Reiwalt battle. Two great players, two great athletes and two classy blokes.

Reiwolt classy ? Yeah, tricking a junior opposition player to throw the ball to him from a free kick in order to milk a 50m penalty is all class.

goswannies
17th July 2017, 01:51 PM

Riewoldt

mattybloods
17th July 2017, 02:16 PM
The only changes should be due to injury. It sounds like the only likely out will be Reid, in which case we either bring in Sinclair as a tall marking (haha) forward or Dawson. I hope Dawson, sounds like he's ready to step up

Nico
17th July 2017, 06:59 PM
Injuries just when we didn't need them and we were travelling so well in that area.

wolftone57
17th July 2017, 07:22 PM
Not sure why we need an extra tall in, not against the Saints. If the coaches weren't keen to do so against the giant Giants (before Cameron's withdrawal) I don't see that they will against the Saints. They have Bruce and Riewoldt, and presumably they'll stick with Battle next week. A bit like Richmond (though not quite as pronounced), the Saints' forward line relies a fair bit on its fleet of quick and short/medium players - the likes of Lonie, Billings, Gresham, Long and Sinclair.

I think if Cameron had have played we would have been in trouble. But due to the Giants only having two talls we were quite ok. The last three times we have met up until this time we have had problems with their talls. The other reaon we need an extra tall is Reid will most likely not play. Someone needs to take Reid's place. A small will not do as leaving Buddy one out in the forward line as the only tall is not an option as he gets exposed because he is not a huge pack mark. this also takes it's toll on his body and we don't want that. Need the extra tall to play the foil.

liz
17th July 2017, 07:43 PM
My comments were referring to a tall defender more than a tall per se (in response to the earlier post), and to an "extra" rather than a replacement. They were also specific to the upcoming game against the Saints.

I agree that if Reid is ruled out, the coaches will probably consider bringing in someone else who can provide a tall target up forward - Sinclair is probably the only option who is truly tall.

Mountain Man
17th July 2017, 07:46 PM
Cameron is a goal kicking Tall but he is also extremely mobile and hard working. IMHO the Giants missed his usual contribution as a marking release way down the ground. It made the Swans forward pressure much longer and more successful

Hotpotato
17th July 2017, 08:26 PM
Cameron out was huge , just out of interest for their campaign , what was his issue ?

MattW
17th July 2017, 08:32 PM
Cameron out was huge , just out of interest for their campaign , what was his issue ?

Tight hamstring.

Vonsteinman
17th July 2017, 09:11 PM
This article suggests that Reid looks ok.....

No Cookies | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/sydney/lance-franklin-almost-missed-sydneys-derby-win-over-gws-with-injury/news-story/5e36c2591e159cf117c12fbb530af58d)

- - - Updated - - -

This article suggests that Reid looks ok.....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/sydney/lance-franklin-almost-missed-sydneys-derby-win-over-gws-with-injury/news-story/5e36c2591e159cf117c12fbb530af58d

RogueSwan
17th July 2017, 09:36 PM
Reiwolt classy ? Yeah, tricking a junior opposition player to throw the ball to him from a free kick in order to milk a 50m penalty is all class.

I think it is kinda funny and will teach them to listen to the umpire not the opposition. It's not as if he does it all the time (or maybe he does???)

Billericay
17th July 2017, 10:27 PM
Cameron is a goal kicking Tall but he is also extremely mobile and hard working. IMHO the Giants missed his usual contribution as a marking release way down the ground. It made the Swans forward pressure much longer and more successful

I'm sure the Giants were easier to beat without him. They bombed the ball into the forward fifty a lot. He would have helped out as a marking target / decoy.

Mind you, Paul Roos criticised the Giants for failing to put on enough forward pressure. Dunno if Cameron would have helped with that?

Hotpotato
18th July 2017, 01:00 AM
They were talking the Swans up just a bit too strongly for my liking tonight on The Couch and 360 .... no wonder Horse comes out with
"Well we haven't done anything yet .!"

Mug Punter
18th July 2017, 01:40 AM
Talk from the News site quotes Harley is sounding pretty confident neither Reid or Rohan will miss this week, and also that Buddy played with a damaged knee but has pulled up fine and will be fine.

Only change I'd make would be Dawson for Robbo, I think he has demanded a spot and I hope he gets his chance.

mattybloods
18th July 2017, 09:39 AM
Talk from the News site quotes Harley is sounding pretty confident neither Reid or Rohan will miss this week, and also that Buddy played with a damaged knee but has pulled up fine and will be fine.

Only change I'd make would be Dawson for Robbo, I think he has demanded a spot and I hope he gets his chance.

For me no injuries means no changes, loving the team balance

barry
18th July 2017, 10:29 AM
We win without Reid and Rohan last time, so why change things?

Rohan back on drop-watch after going missing in a big game again.

Boddo
18th July 2017, 11:38 AM
If no outs due to injury then no change. Should be an easy win.

AnnieH
18th July 2017, 12:21 PM

"Touch wood".
It's never an easy win.

Markwebbos
18th July 2017, 02:00 PM

I'm actually a bit worried players minds will skip ahead to the Hawks game the following week and thoughts of vengeance.

Saints played the "perfect half of football" two weeks ago. This has danger game written all over it.

We should win.

liz
18th July 2017, 05:02 PM
Sounds like there were a lot of sore boys after last weekend's game, given the number reported as being on light duties in today's training session (in additional to many senior players missing altogether). Reid and Rohan, not surprisingly, listed as being in some doubt.

Speedy Swan and key forward in doubt for Saints - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-18/sydney-injuries-could-see-veteran-return-)

18th July 2017, 05:44 PM
Sounds like there were a lot of sore boys after last weekend's game, given the number reported as being on light duties in today's training session (in additional to many senior players missing altogether). Reid and Rohan, not surprisingly, listed as being in some doubt.

Speedy Swan and key forward in doubt for Saints - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-18/sydney-injuries-could-see-veteran-return-)Yes, I counted them up as well, quite a long list. Saints were devastating in the first half against Richmond, took the game on, took risks, everything came off for them. Then last week, weak as .... We need to focus on this game and anticipate a fast start from them. If anyone misses I want to see Dawson promoted - have I said that before?

Hotpotato
18th July 2017, 06:10 PM
Haven't watched the Saints much ...
Are they much chop?

Beerman
18th July 2017, 10:01 PM
It was mentioned in another thread that Hannas potentially had OP. If that's the case then it's time for some time off and he can be back to impact the finals.

It would explain a lot. If that is the case. I think he has enough credits and is performing well enough that they will let him try and play through it as long as he thinks he can. Personally, I would prefer to see him "managed" for this game to see if he can get himself right for some of the very tough games coming up against Hawthorn, Adelaide and Geelong. (That's not to say I think we should expect victory against the Saints, but sometimes you have to take a chance to win big).

Of I'm not a doctor and don't know anything about OP, or if resting him would even help. Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!

RogueSwan
18th July 2017, 11:30 PM
... Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!
Love this. I'm pinching it for my signature. :clap:

S.S. Bleeder
20th July 2017, 12:04 AM
Haven't watched the Saints much ...
Are they much chop?

Depends on whether the Aints of last week turn up or whether the Aints from the week prior turn up. Generally though they've been playing like a team in the lower eight.

Hotpotato
20th July 2017, 12:22 AM
It would explain a lot. If that is the case. I think he has enough credits and is performing well enough that they will let him try and play through it as long as he thinks he can. Personally, I would prefer to see him "managed" for this game to see if he can get himself right for some of the very tough games coming up against Hawthorn, Adelaide and Geelong. (That's not to say I think we should expect victory against the Saints, but sometimes you have to take a chance to win big).

Of I'm not a doctor and don't know anything about OP, or if resting him would even help. Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!

So you've got a Docterate of Philosophy ?

- - - Updated - - -

Oops : Doctorate

goswannies
20th July 2017, 02:10 AM
So you've got a Docterate of Philosophy ?
Sadly they just seem to hand those things out these days ...

Of I'm not a doctor and don't know anything about OP, or if resting him would even help.

You're in good company, even the doctors and physios can't consistently manage this condition, despite the training & knowledge.

Unfortunately the pubic symphysis in one of the integral structures that (among other functions including allowing pelvic distortion during childbirth) provide some shock absorbing capacity to the pelvic ring during gait, running and kicking activities. However, once inflamed, it is very difficult to rest the pubic symphysis, as it's stressed even during normal gait (and compounded by higher impact activities). Moreover, true osteitis pubis is ideally treated early (analgesics, anti-inflams and managing physical workloads - the latter is particularly non-conducive for elite athletes) - the longer it is neglected the harder it is to treat.

If there is to be a positive, it might be that vague central pelvic symptoms were often diagnosed as OP when it was a particularly fashionable diagnosis, and there was a high spate of them. I suspect that many were perhaps not. However, over recent years, there have been fewer incidents of OP (which I believe is potentially attributable to more accurate diagnosis - with imaging and symptom interpretation).

Suffice to say a poorly manage OP can be career ending. Even a well managed case of OP can take months to recover (depending on severity, acuteness and effectiveness of rehab of course). But OP management of elite athletes has certainly improved IMO (for what that's worth).

Hopefully, if it is OP, they have got onto it early for a better outcome.

Beerman
20th July 2017, 07:09 AM
So you've got a Doctorate of Philosophy ?

Don't knock philosophy! I don't have a PhD (in philosophy or any other discipline), but I did study quite a few subjects at uni. You have to read heaps to avoid blathering nonsense or just repeating stuff that has already been said better elsewhere....ok, so maybe it did prepare me well for the internet.

You're in good company, even the doctors and physios can't consistently manage this condition, despite the training & knowledge.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting!

Flying South
20th July 2017, 07:29 AM
IMO (for what that's worth).

Mate your medical opinion is immeasurable. We are lucky you have you on this site and I appreciate your input. Thanks Doc

goswannies
20th July 2017, 08:11 AM
Mate your medical opinion is immeasurable. We are lucky you have you on this site and I appreciate your input. Thanks Doc
Sorry, gotta pull you up there. Not a doc ('though there is at least one who posts here) ... just a physio I'm afraid ;)

goswannies
20th July 2017, 08:35 AM
Don't knock philosophy! I don't have a PhD (in philosophy or any other discipline),

Technically a PhD is in philosophy regardless of the discipline in which it is obtained (except the type that Eddie was gifted ... that's an "honorary" one)

Flying South
20th July 2017, 10:26 AM
Sorry, gotta pull you up there. Not a doc ('though there is at least one who posts here) ... just a physio I'm afraid ;)
As the eminent 'Dr' Alan Harper once said "Nonetheless, I am a healer" :adore

royboy42
20th July 2017, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=goswannies;732620]Technically a PhD is in philosophy regardless of the discipline in which it is obtained (except the type that Eddie was gifted ... that's an "honorary" one)[/QUOTE

I was hoping the McGuire pic was photoshopped.
Imagine how the PhD's who actually earned the honorific feel about that!

goswannies
20th July 2017, 11:19 AM
As the eminent 'Dr' Alan Harper once said "Nonetheless, I am a healer" :adore

Ahhhh "Dr" Harper chiropractic graduate from the esteemed University of Guadalajara

goswannies
20th July 2017, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=goswannies;732620]Technically a PhD is in philosophy regardless of the discipline in which it is obtained (except the type that Eddie was gifted ... that's an "honorary" one)[/QUOTE

I was hoping the McGuire pic was photoshopped.
Imagine how the PhD's who actually earned the honorific feel about that!

Not photoshopped, and the discussion of honorary doctorates is really for another forum. There are an abundance of lengthy threads on this topic. But 3-10 years of hard, poorly paid slog & stress might not be impressed by getting one for simply doing ones job. Some PhD graduates choose not to use the title. Fortunately many institutions decree that an honorary doctorate does not entitle the title of Dr to be used.

Back on topic :)

Billericay
20th July 2017, 01:33 PM
I've been trying to predict what will be announced at 6:25 tonight, and I really have no idea.

20th July 2017, 02:19 PM
I've been trying to predict what will be announced at 6:25 tonight, and I really have no idea.It won't be Tippett, you can't play a guy who came off at half time last week injured and hasn't played a full game for 6-7 weeks. Horse just giving the media something to write.

Either no changes or Dawson in for someone.

Markwebbos
20th July 2017, 02:43 PM
Reid does so many jobs for the Swans: including rucking and dropping back into defence for last 5 mins, he'll be difficult to replace.

I really hope Sinkers doesn't reappear. Maybe Towers can do all the pinch hitting in the ruck?

I really would like to see Dawson this week if Reid or Gaz are injured.

RogueSwan
20th July 2017, 03:21 PM

"Doc" not "Dr" was a name given to good gamblers in the Ol' West. Is that a more appropriate title? :smile:

troyjones2525
20th July 2017, 03:59 PM
Getting frustrated with Horse and our selection comittee. Mentions players like Tippett and Sinclair as possibles to replace Reid if he's out but still no mention of Dawson getting another crack who continues to bang the door down for another game with dominant performances in the NEAFL!

Yes he is probably not key position size but he plays tall, kicks goals and was even used a bit in the ruck like we do with Reid in the senior team.

I know that us supporters don't know what necessarily is going on inside the club but surely his string of excellent performances is enough for another chance! From the outside he appears to have all the tools to make it! Let's give him a chance to shine like Newman did and I have a feeling he will make it very hard for the coaches to drop him back to the NEAFL!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

goswannies
20th July 2017, 05:43 PM
"Doc" not "Dr" was a name given to good gamblers in the Ol' West. Is that a more appropriate title? :smile:
If you're referring to Doc Holliday, I think he was called Doc because he was a dentist before becoming a gun slinger with Wyatt Earp. Though he was a gambler too ;)

RogueSwan
20th July 2017, 05:53 PM

If you're referring to Doc Holliday, I think he was called Doc because he was a dentist before becoming a gun slinger with Wyatt Earp. Though he was a gambler too ;)

Not Doc Holliday. I heard it on an American history podcast.

Debster1
20th July 2017, 06:14 PM
Out: Reid, Robbo, Smith
In: Sinclair, Cunningham, Allir

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong - nick smith - you've gotta be kidding!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nico
20th July 2017, 06:41 PM
Getting frustrated with Horse and our selection comittee. Mentions players like Tippett and Sinclair as possibles to replace Reid if he's out but still no mention of Dawson getting another crack who continues to bang the door down for another game with dominant performances in the NEAFL!

Yes he is probably not key position size but he plays tall, kicks goals and was even used a bit in the ruck like we do with Reid in the senior team.

I know that us supporters don't know what necessarily is going on inside the club but surely his string of excellent performances is enough for another chance! From the outside he appears to have all the tools to make it! Let's give him a chance to shine like Newman did and I have a feeling he will make it very hard for the coaches to drop him back to the NEAFL!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Is Dawson out of contract at the end of the year? If so has he said he wants to go home?

ugg
20th July 2017, 06:46 PM
Dawson re-signed a few weeks ago.

Nico
20th July 2017, 06:54 PM
Dawson re-signed a few weeks ago.

Thanks Ugg. That tells me that he is working on a part of his game that has kept him out of the side. That's how we always do it with keepers. IIRC that happened with Tom Mitchell and the defensive side of his game.

AB Swannie
20th July 2017, 07:08 PM
Tippett seen wearing the alternate strip at training today. Definitely playing twos according to my theory.

Markwebbos
20th July 2017, 07:10 PM
Tippett seen wearing the alternate strip at training today. Definitely playing twos according to my theory.

Phew! Let's hope your hypothesis is correct

Debster1
20th July 2017, 07:16 PM

So out of character to be fair..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ugg
20th July 2017, 07:24 PM
Sinkers for Reid

Emg Hayward Jack Laidler

Flying South
20th July 2017, 07:25 PM
Dawson not even an emergency. Odd

20th July 2017, 07:28 PM
Dawson not even an emergency. OddIf he plays NEAFL I'll be fuming. BOG several times in a row - sheesh!

Markwebbos
20th July 2017, 07:37 PM
No Dawson!?!??
Sinkers ????????????????????
Jack and Laidler as emergencies?

liz
20th July 2017, 07:38 PM
If he plays NEAFL I'll be fuming. BOG several times in a row - sheesh!

He did miss a fortnight prior to last week's game (but so did Hayward, who then didn't even play last week's NEAFL game out).

It is becoming harder to understand why he's not getting an opportunity, given how dominant he's been at NEAFL level. Maybe there's something to do with team structures that they think he still needs to learn.

Sinclair in for Reid isn't too bad (if Reid had to miss). Better than bringing an unfit Tippett into the side. Sinclair's been in good form in the reserves, mostly playing in the forward line. Ludwig will be glad to know that he's been marking the ball well, plus his kicking for goal has been pretty reasonable too.

Markwebbos
20th July 2017, 07:41 PM
Any indication how long Reid might be out for?

Club 80
20th July 2017, 07:42 PM
Why not Dawson?

Why Robinson?

What am I missing? Dawson is a similar size. Is Robinson much quicker with far greater defensive capability than Dawson?

Sinclair deserves another chance. Is in great form and fresh from a week off.

Over to Ludwig to let fly on why two Ruckman were selected and the not Aliir.

royboy42
20th July 2017, 07:51 PM
Why not Dawson?

Why Robinson?

What am I missing? Dawson is a similar size. Is Robinson much quicker with far greater defensive capability than Dawson?

Sinclair deserves another chance. Is in great form and fresh from a week off.

Over to Ludwig to let fly on why two Ruckman were selected and the not Aliir.

Robbo is a proven established best 22 who was only out due injury. When he became fit again, he was duly reinstated.

I'm content to have Ludwig share his own opinions.

ugg
20th July 2017, 08:03 PM
While Sinclair for Reid makes sense as a tall forward for a tall forward, it could prove disruptive in terms of the ruck setup. Unless they persist with Towers as the second ruck and leave Sinclair inside 50

AB Swannie
20th July 2017, 08:24 PM
I'm not very pleased with Sinclair being selected.

1. I think Naismith has done very well as the lone ruck increasing his time on ground to around 82% per game over the past three games allowing more rotations for our midfielders, increasing our ability to run out games. Therefore, I don't want this being messed with because we have Sinclair in the 22.

2. If Sinclair is simply taking Reid's spot in the forward line and will have no impact on Naismith's role, then we are severely reducing our talent. He drops way too many marks as a forward and has no ability to put pressure on once the ball hits the ground. I'm worried his opponent will simply run off him. Sinclair has no ability to play as the swingman either like Reid. IMO, Dawson or Aliir would've been a much greater selection to replace Reid.

Mountain Man
20th July 2017, 08:29 PM
St Kilda have introduced a 2nd ruck in Marshall who is making a debut appearance.

barry
20th July 2017, 08:32 PM
Dawson, Dawson, Dawson. This forum is obsessed with him.
He's not ready, and he's not the answer.

mcs
20th July 2017, 08:36 PM
I'm not very pleased with Sinclair being selected.

1. I think Naismith has done very well as the lone ruck increasing his time on ground to around 82% per game over the past three games allowing more rotations for our midfielders, increasing our ability to run out games. Therefore, I don't want this being messed with because we have Sinclair in the 22.

2. If Sinclair is simply taking Reid's spot in the forward line and will have no impact on Naismith's role, then we are severely reducing our talent. He drops way too many marks as a forward and has no ability to put pressure on once the ball hits the ground. I'm worried his opponent will simply run off him. Sinclair has no ability to play as the swingman either like Reid. IMO, Dawson or Aliir would've been a much greater selection to replace Reid.

Sinclair has had 2 very good NEAFL games in a row, playing a lot of time as a forward target, kicking 9 goals across those 2 games. He is in good form

He has vastly outplayed Aliir in both those games.

Dawson would have also seen a significant change in our structure, with the loss of a key tall forward marking.

I'm comfortable with Sinclair coming in, he will play a role for the team. He is far from the best player going around, but he will do a job.

AB Swannie
20th July 2017, 08:49 PM
Sinclair has had 2 very good NEAFL games in a row, playing a lot of time as a forward target, kicking 9 goals across those 2 games. He is in good form

Dawson would have also seen a significant change in our structure, with the loss of a key tall forward marking.

I'm comfortable with Sinclair coming in, he will play a role for the team. He is far from the best player going around, but he will do a job.

I hope you're right. I'm normally a pretty positive guy but I've never seen Sinclair show in any of his senior games as being a competent KPF. He might've had success in this role in NEAFL but it'll be a massive step up against the Saints.

S.S. Bleeder
20th July 2017, 09:22 PM
If he plays NEAFL I'll be fuming. BOG several times in a row - sheesh!

I can't figure it out either but the coaches know more than us. There must be a part of his game that he needs to improve on (as they did with Tich) or he's not follow the game plan and needs to do that before being elevated. On results alone he deserves his spot.

CureTheSane
20th July 2017, 09:26 PM
Re Dawson.
The same happened with Newman and others.
Many here (probably rightly) banging on about how wonderful he is and why he isn't getting a go.
Same with Mitchell when he was getting 50 possies in the reserves.

Fair enough, but to me it's pretty simple.
The coaching staff are asking specif things and looking for specific areas of growth.
They have an agenda and when the time is right, Dawson will get a run.
Other players obviously were ticking more boxes. Heeney, Mills, etc all walked in to the side.
So given that the club is not opposed to bringing any playing in when ready, it indicates that Dawson isn't (for whatever reason)
Allir alluded to the same thing recently.

Odysseus
20th July 2017, 09:28 PM

I agree with you, mcs. What I like most about Sinclair is that he gives it his all, whenever I've seen him play. I agree that he's not the best player, but I doubt that he would claim to be, nor would those who selected him. But he was playing well before he was dropped, and from what I gather, he has not sulked about being in the twos, he's continued to work hard. So I'm quite okay with his being brought in for this match.

What I don't understand is Brandon Jack being named as an emergency. Was it the Carlton game I last saw him?, and he simply looked out of his depth. He may well try hard, and perhaps in that way is similar to Sinclair, yet I don't think he's been other than out of his depth whenever he's played in the firsts, except maybe a long time ago in the thrill of his first game or two.

20th July 2017, 09:36 PM
What I don't understand is Brandon Jack being named as an emergency. Was it the Carlton game I last saw him?, and he simply looked out of his depth. He may well try hard, and perhaps in that way is similar to Sinclair, yet I don't think he's been other than out of his depth whenever he's played in the firsts, except maybe a long time ago in the thrill of his first game or two.
You can put a jack russell in a greyhound race, it'll chase the rabbit with enthusiasm, but in the end ... it's still a jack russell

Billericay
20th July 2017, 10:13 PM
Dawson, Dawson, Dawson. This forum is obsessed with him.
He's not ready, and he's not the answer.

Nor is Sinclair as a replacement for our best marking player / swingman. He's not mobile enough and can't mark. I think putting Sinkers back in the team and playing 2 rucks is a backward step. It shows how desperately short of KPFs we are - admittedly with Reid, Tippo and Cameron all injured.

Naismith is pretty huge, you wonder if he'll add marking to his game as he develops. He's still pretty young.

I'm trying to put a positive spin on Dawson not being an emergency - that they want to give him one more game in the NEAFL to get up to fitness before unleashing him in the AFL next week

dimelb
20th July 2017, 10:36 PM

It has almost become a Swans Mission Statement!

And on the whole the policy of holding people back until they are really ready has worked pretty well for us. People have mentioned Newman, Mitchell, Aliir and of course Dawson. My favourite example in recent years is waiting for Mitch Morton to be elevated - it was a bit like waiting for Godot. The move with Callum the Large is the fruit of his diligence on the field, where he has shown he can mark (not in Sam's class, but few are), can kick a goal (where Sam had fallen away somewhat) and is prepared to throw his weight around, which may be useful if StK has picked a second ruck. We wish him well - he strikes me as a player who has absorbed a good dose of the Swans spirit, and fair play to him.

giant
20th July 2017, 10:57 PM
I rarely watch the ressies but was there for AJ's return and Sinclair was very good indeed. In Reid's absence and Tippo's injury, he's the obvious replacement.

MattW
20th July 2017, 11:39 PM

Yep. I expect Sinclair to play pretty limited minutes and mostly up forward. It will likely mean Rohan plays the swingman, which in my view is a bit of a shame.

Mug Punter
21st July 2017, 12:01 AM
I like Dawson and think he will burst onto the scene next year but, with the safety of his re-signing in the bag, I like that we are really making him earn his senior spot. He is paying his dues.

And there may well be something there we don't see. I didn't think the NEAFL match last week displayed a team effort and I thought the comments from Barracuda, that the senior NEAFL players were bullying the toppies for possessions, was worrying from a cultural point of view. From his post it sounds like it is something the coaching staff are aware of and I'd expect them to stamp this out asap, it's entirely possible that they want to pull a few of the NEAFL "stars" into line a bit and if (and it is a big if) Dawson is amongst those a bit big for his boots in the Ressies they may just want to hold him back a bit until he pulls his head in.

I reckon our best 22 is this week with two changes - Hayward for Robbo and Reid for Sinclair. Anything else will determined by injury or loss of form. I think that Dawson may have to wait until 2018 but I definitely rate the kid.

Jeynez
21st July 2017, 12:05 AM
If Sinclair can present well and bring the ball to the ground in marking contests for our smalls, he'll be doing his job. He was needed for our fwd structure to take pressure off of Buddy and Rohan

bodgie
21st July 2017, 12:41 AM
I think we need to keep some game time into Sinclair in case Naismith goes down with injury. One ruckman seems to work fine with Reid or Tippet on call but it's a tough gig and Tippet has shown he needs time to work into form.

Club 80
21st July 2017, 01:00 AM

9 goals in two games in the NEAFL is hardly compelling. Do you remember the bags of NEAFL goals that big Jesse White used to kick? He would kick huge bags and nobody got excited. He used to spend some time in the ruck as well.

Now 9 goals in two games is great by the big Sinkers. Jesse would have been a handy inclusion for Reid.

21st July 2017, 01:08 AM
9 goals in two games in the NEAFL is hardly compelling. Do you remember the bags of NEAFL goals that big Jesse White used to kick? He would kick huge bags and nobody got excited. He used to spend some time in the ruck as well.

Now 9 goals in two games is great by the big Sinkers. Jesse would have been a handy inclusion for Reid.

Ah Matt, still good for a laugh :rofl

mcs
21st July 2017, 11:20 AM

Get your hand off it.... :rofl

I never said either performance represented something 'great'.

What I said was that he is in good form, and he did vastly outplay Aliir in both games. I watched both games live, and it is obvious that if you want to choose between those two for a 'tall forward option', then on current form Sinclair is well in front of Aliir.

He was excellent in both matches in question, while Aliir dropped in and out of both games. In both those games he was also on primary ruck duty as well. We all know the fallacies of the NEAFL in terms of quality, but that doesn't mean Sinclair can't have had good games in either of those matches, or doesn't deserve a callup on that basis.

mcs
21st July 2017, 11:39 AM
I hope you're right. I'm normally a pretty positive guy but I've never seen Sinclair show in any of his senior games as being a competent KPF. He might've had success in this role in NEAFL but it'll be a massive step up against the Saints.

I'm not convinced he is suddenly going to have a cracking game at seniors level, but we all know he will put a decent shift in, and always works hard to get the best out of his overall ability. His kicking for goal in the 2 games I've referred to has been quite impressive - in particular down here in Canberra he nailed a couple of very nice set shots from right on the 50 and on a fairly tight angle for both.

He will play his role for the team.

barry
21st July 2017, 11:58 AM
Sinkers has notably improved his pressure this year. If he can work on his marking, he will be a very handy footballer.

Sandrevan
21st July 2017, 02:32 PM
It looks like the selection committee have made forced changes only. I suspect that after the first 6 games the idea of big ins and outs became unfashionable. Sure, Sinclair is not as versatile as Reid but he will provide some good structure in the forward line. We know he's not the best mark in the team but he will take the attention off Buddy. From what I've seen of him he works very hard and plays the team game. Good luck Callum - hope you kick a few goals.

mcs
22nd July 2017, 11:05 PM

I know it was just one game, but I rest my case :wink:

MattW
23rd July 2017, 12:20 AM
I know it was just one game, but I rest my case :wink:

There wasn't really one made against you.