PDA

View Full Version : Changes Rd 21 v Freo

swansrob
8th August 2017, 10:28 AM
It's Tuesday and this thread doesn't exist yet?

How much longer can Towers keep his spot? Finals are coming and we need less passengers

CureTheSane
8th August 2017, 10:50 AM
Time for
Towers out
Kennedy in

AnnieH
8th August 2017, 10:51 AM
OUT: Sweet Caroline

Leave Towers alone. He's doing OK.

barry
8th August 2017, 10:54 AM
Towers isn't going anywhere. Just put him on the bench for the last few minutes in tight games.

Meg
8th August 2017, 11:10 AM

On a a recent video interview with Heeney on Swans website, Heeney said the players like Sweet Caroline - it gets them going!

RogueSwan
8th August 2017, 11:15 AM

But Heeney says it fires him up. http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2017-08-01/beats-by-game-day-isaac-heeney-ch-7 But also admits plenty of Swans dislike it...

On a a recent video interview with Heeney on Swans website, Heeney said the players like Sweet Caroline - it gets them going! "a few of the boys they dislike it intensely"

So who goes out for Joey then? Could be Tippo I s'pose but he should be given a few games to see if he can re-discovered his best? Everyone else has been play good, if not great, footy.
I would also like to Cunningham make it back, if he can recapture his pre-injury form. He can provide that quick, hard running release player that works so well when we switch play.

ugg
8th August 2017, 11:23 AM
Assuming no other injuries, it'll all depend on the structure - whether to stick with the taller forward line up or revert back to a smaller one. Towers most likely if we keep the talls and Tippett/Sinclair if we go smaller.

mattybloods
8th August 2017, 11:35 AM
Tippett out, Joey in. Back to the one Ruckman set up we had been using when Naismith was fit

Thunder Shaker
8th August 2017, 11:41 AM
But Heeney says [Sweet Caroline] fires him up. http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2017-08-01/beats-by-game-day-isaac-heeney-ch-7 But also admits plenty of Swans dislike it...

"a few of the boys they dislike it intensely"
Perhaps we could have the song replaced by different songs chosen by a player from time to time. Imagine how much it would motivate a player in a milestone game if their favourite song was playing at the break.

Boddo
8th August 2017, 12:10 PM
I'd prefer to rest Kennedy for one more week. Wouldn't want him going down with a 21 day hammy on the weekend n miss first week of the finals.

No change

liz
8th August 2017, 12:38 PM
Tippett out, Joey in. Back to the one Ruckman set up we had been using when Naismith was fit

I don't think the coaches will back Sinclair to ruck a whole game solo. Naismith yes, but not Sinclair. I also doubt they'd have Tippett rucking solo either, unless forced to. If Naismith is ready to return, they could drop both Sinclair and Tippo if they want to retain a smaller structure but otherwise it will probably be Towers or Newman who makes way for Kennedy, if he's ready. I'm not in favour of dropping Newman but I think he and Towers are probably the two least important from a structural point of view. I can't see anyone else in the side who would even come up for consideration of being dropped given Horse is clearly taken by what Hayward brings to the side (and with three goals last week, it's hard to argue).

mattybloods
8th August 2017, 12:42 PM
I don't think the coaches will back Sinclair to ruck a whole game solo. Naismith yes, but not Sinclair.

You may be right but I hope they give it to Sinclair. I agree we'd be better with a solo ruckman in Naismith but Sinclair (if fully fit) should be able to put up a good contest by himself. I prefer the structure of a one ruckman team

Mug Punter
8th August 2017, 12:54 PM
I'd prefer to rest Kennedy for one more week. Wouldn't want him going down with a 21 day hammy on the weekend n miss first week of the finals.

No change

Agreed.

I'd be super cautious with Joey, he has been incredibly durable for us but maybe father time is starting to creep up slowly on him with soft tissue injuries.

It's a ripper of a position to be in at the moment. Joey will be the only player certain to come back in to the squad. Even Sammy, if Tippett and Sinclair keep combining well and doing the business, may not get back in. You've got a heap of players (Towers, Newman, Tippett, Sinclair, Hayward) playing for their spots every week so it's just impossible to see any complacency setting in.

I think our best 22 is almost set: for mine I see the us having the following four as emergencies come GF day - Towers (midfield), Harry C (small forward), Tippett/Sammy/Sinclair (Ruck/KPF) and Aliir (KPD). Any other changes and we have enough flexibility to move players around a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

You may be right but I hope they give it to Sinclair. I agree we'd be better with a solo ruckman in Naismith but Sinclair (if fully fit) should be able to put up a good contest by himself. I prefer the structure of a one ruckman team

Naismith and Tippett gives us options too, for example if we need Sammy to go down back because either Reg or Lewis get knocked out in the first minute of a key final then Tippo can play as the key forward. I just think the extra tall gives a few more options if things go pear-shaped

dimelb
8th August 2017, 01:41 PM
On a a recent video interview with Heeney on Swans website, Heeney said the players like Sweet Caroline - it gets them going!

I was startled while watching The Chaser to discover that the Boston Red Sox have adopted "Sweet Caroline" as an anthem.

Boston Red Sox - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Red_Sox)

Jeynez
8th August 2017, 02:04 PM
It would have to be between Towers/Tippett/Sinclair for Kennedy this round. And I can't see either Tippett or Sinkers rucking out a game just yet, which would make Towers the unfortunate player to be dropped.
My only concern is if that would make our team balance too tall and slow

snajik
8th August 2017, 02:05 PM
I was startled while watching The Chaser to discover that the Boston Red Sox have adopted "Sweet Caroline" as an anthem.

And to think of all of all those great bands that came from Boston. Go figure.

I reckon #23 and #10 have been our two biggest passengers this past fortnight. I'm not saying we should drop either of them, but they sure can play a hell of a lot better. Joey should only return if he's 100%.

Go Swannies
8th August 2017, 02:22 PM

You think they'd go with "More than a Feeling".

CureTheSane
8th August 2017, 02:33 PM

I've been a huge proponent of Towers since everyone came down on him for his end of game errors.
I'd like to see him stay in the team, but who comes out for Kennedy?

- - - Updated - - -

Towers isn't going anywhere. Just put him on the bench for the last few minutes in tight games.

Way to perpetuate the negativity....

Captain
8th August 2017, 02:54 PM
Towers has to be the one to go for Kennedy. Pretty simple really.

Would be crazy to change the Tippett/Sinclair combination.

Tippett will be our #1 ruck by finals if he stays injury free and will go back to being an absolute lock.

Markwebbos
8th August 2017, 02:55 PM

I cannot quite believe anyone could be fired up by Neil Diamond unless they mean it makes them angry. Has anyone analysed our 2nd quarters at home and away to see if there is a 'Sweet Caroline Effect'?

crackedactor
8th August 2017, 03:03 PM
Towers has to be the one to go for Kennedy. Pretty simple really.

Would be crazy to change the Tippett/Sinclair combination.

Tippett will be our #1 ruck by finals if he stays injury free and will go back to being an absolute lock.

Yes Tippett/ Sinclair combination needs to stay for at least one more week. Bit worried about Buddy's form over the last two weeks. Could it be worthwhile to rest him? I would leave out Towers and Buddy and include Kennedy and Dawson, and Reid can play full forward and Dawson in the mid field.

Markwebbos
8th August 2017, 03:03 PM
Two questions at selection:

1. Has Horse reverted to 2 rucks or is it personnel dependent? I suspect he's been scarred by BigBoyGate and will continue to play 2.

2. Whether to play Joey and if so who goes out. Horse isn't big on resting players, but we very rarely have major hammy injuries. I reckon if he's right to play they'll play him.

Callum Sinclair outplayed Tippo but Tippo has way more upside and is much more of a genuine forward.

IN: Kennedy, Naismith
OUT: Towers, Sinkers

If Kennedy isn't right I'd like to see them roll the dice and give Dawson a run in place of Towers, but that's almost certainly not going to happen.

Ludwig
8th August 2017, 03:59 PM
1. Has Horse reverted to 2 rucks or is it personnel dependent? I suspect he's been scarred by BigBoyGate and will continue to play 2.

What McEvoy proved was that neither Sinclair nor Naismith can defend, not that we need 2 ruckmen. What it showed is that we need 1 ruckman plus another defender to cover a good ruckman who can take marks around the ground and kick goals.

Since Aliir will never play again in the senior side, Reid may have to play in defence. We can go with a small forward, a la Richmond, who have had good success playing a single KPF. If we play Richmond in the finals, Reid can move forward again. We will need Reid to play in defence anyway against Adelaide, so we might as well get some practice this week.

Last year we played Reg, Aliir, Rampe, Marsh and Laidler against Adelaide, with Rampe taking Walker. It seemed to work well. So Marsh or Laidler are other options if we want to leave Reid forward.

barry
8th August 2017, 04:01 PM
Forget Dawson. If he wasn't selected in the last two weeks, he's cooked for 2017.

And let's cut this " drop towers" nonsense

wolftone57
8th August 2017, 04:40 PM
It's Tuesday and this thread doesn't exist yet?

How much longer can Towers keep his spot? Finals are coming and we need less passengers

Up until last week Deano had been pretty good. Unfortunately he went missing in action last week. Because there is no surity that Joey will be back this week I would suggest resting Joey until next week and playing Dawson in Joey's role. This would give the young bloke a chance to strut his stuff in the big league. It would also give us a chance to set up a little differently.

Several players went missing last week, Deano wasn't the only one. if you look at the stats Tippett went missing again. Sinclair was by far the best ruckman for us with 17 disposals, 18 Hit Outs, 6 tackles and 8 inside 50's. Tippett on the other hand had 8 disposals, 16 HO, 4 T and 2 I50. I would look at bringing in Aliir as a mobile ruckman who can get taps as well as run off his opponent.

It's really interesting that Hayward, Papley & Rohan don't need to get huge numbers to really hurt the opposition. Paps & Will got 12 each and Gaz 9 but their goals tally was 8 between them. Fairly impressive.

I'd give Kizza a rest this week and play Rose just to see how he goes as he is getting plenty in the reserves. He has also started to play a good defensive game when he doesn't have the ball. That was James' problem, slack defensively.

Doctor
8th August 2017, 04:42 PM

...in 2004

ugg
8th August 2017, 04:44 PM
I cannot quite believe anyone could be fired up by Neil Diamond unless they mean it makes them angry. Has anyone analysed our 2nd quarters at home and away to see if there is a 'Sweet Caroline Effect'?

Conclusion: It's the Auskickers that are the most inspiring.

Quarters at the SCG
Q1

4.3 27
1.1 7
4.1 25
7.5 47
2.4 16
2.2 14
2.5 17
4.3 27
3.5 23

Avg = 22.56 points

Q2

4.2 26
4.6 30
0.3 3
5.5 35
2.2 14
3.6 24
3.6 24
6.2 38
4.3 27

Avg = 24.56 points

Q3

2.1 13
2.4 16
4.3 27
5.3 33
5.1 31
4.6 30
3.6 24
4.5 29
4.6 30

Avg = 25.89 points

Q4

2.4 16
4.2 26
1.2 8
3.2 20
2.2 14
3.2 20
3.3 21
3.6 24
3.3 21

Avg = 18.89 points

Q2 at Away games

R2 Docklands 2.4 16
R4 Subiaco 2.1 13
R6 MCG 3.4 22
R8 Docklands 6.5 41
R9 Docklands 3.1 19
R13 MCG 3.1 19
R15 MCG 4.7 31
R17 Showgrounds 3.1 19
R19 MCG 2.2 14
R20 Kardinia Park 3.0 18

Avg = 21.20 points

Matty10
8th August 2017, 05:06 PM
...in 2004

Yeah, it is featured in the 2005 film, "Perfect Catch" (called Fever Pitch outside Australia) with Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore. That is actually what I think of when I hear the song during game day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolftone57
8th August 2017, 05:11 PM
I don't think the coaches will back Sinclair to ruck a whole game solo. Naismith yes, but not Sinclair. I also doubt they'd have Tippett rucking solo either, unless forced to. If Naismith is ready to return, they could drop both Sinclair and Tippo if they want to retain a smaller structure but otherwise it will probably be Towers or Newman who makes way for Kennedy, if he's ready. I'm not in favour of dropping Newman but I think he and Towers are probably the two least important from a structural point of view. I can't see anyone else in the side who would even come up for consideration of being dropped given Horse is clearly taken by what Hayward brings to the side (and with three goals last week, it's hard to argue).

I don't know about Newman being one of the least important structurally. I think he squares us up and is able to get that really difficult kick out of defence. This has always been a problem for us when pressured, too many indiscriminate kicks to nobody. Newman seems to be able to stay cool and deliver a kick out of defence. Some of his attack was good too and the kick to Gazza was super. I wouldn't want him to go anywhere in a hurry.

KTigers
8th August 2017, 05:26 PM
The book "Fever Pitch" by Nick Hornby is great and should be required reading for many here. It basically covers the writers obsession with Arsenal and
how following them over the 88/89 season effected his life & relationships. Many here will see aspects of their lives and their unhealthy obsession
with our team and how it's performing. Highly recommended.

The film "Perfect Catch" is loosely based around the book and because it's an American movie they've changed the main character to be an obsessed Red Sox fan. It's OK, but it's tamer and
a bit corny.

Yeah, it is featured in the 2005 film, "Perfect Catch" (called Fever Pitch outside Australia) with Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore. That is actually what I think of when I hear the song during game day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blood Fever
8th August 2017, 06:24 PM
I don't know about Newman being one of the least important structurally. I think he squares us up and is able to get that really difficult kick out of defence. This has always been a problem for us when pressured, too many indiscriminate kicks to nobody. Newman seems to be able to stay cool and deliver a kick out of defence. Some of his attack was good too and the kick to Gazza was super. I wouldn't want him to go anywhere in a hurry.

Newman is an elite kick. We don't have a lot of great field kicks although we have improved in this area. He has given us more polish in the Malceski mould. Stays in our best 22 for mine unless match committee value Towers speed and pressure more. Newman is the more natural footballer.

undy
8th August 2017, 07:37 PM
Out: Jones
In: Kennedy

Matty10
8th August 2017, 08:03 PM

In relation to form, or to give him a rest?

Markwebbos
8th August 2017, 09:54 PM

If it's based on disposal efficiency then yes. Jones has been underperforming but he's in our best 22.

undy
8th August 2017, 11:16 PM
In relation to form, or to give him a rest?

He just seems to have lost form a bit at the moment and seems to be playing a bit close to the edge. If Joey is fit, someone has to go.

Markwebbos
9th August 2017, 12:24 AM
Conclusion: It's the Auskickers that are the most inspiring.

Quarters at the SCG
Q1

4.3 27
1.1 7
4.1 25
7.5 47
2.4 16
2.2 14
2.5 17
4.3 27
3.5 23

Avg = 22.56 points

Q2

4.2 26
4.6 30
0.3 3
5.5 35
2.2 14
3.6 24
3.6 24
6.2 38
4.3 27

Avg = 24.56 points

Q3

2.1 13
2.4 16
4.3 27
5.3 33
5.1 31
4.6 30
3.6 24
4.5 29
4.6 30

Avg = 25.89 points

Q4

2.4 16
4.2 26
1.2 8
3.2 20
2.2 14
3.2 20
3.3 21
3.6 24
3.3 21

Avg = 18.89 points

Q2 at Away games

R2 Docklands 2.4 16
R4 Subiaco 2.1 13
R6 MCG 3.4 22
R8 Docklands 6.5 41
R9 Docklands 3.1 19
R13 MCG 3.1 19
R15 MCG 4.7 31
R17 Showgrounds 3.1 19
R19 MCG 2.2 14
R20 Kardinia Park 3.0 18

Avg = 21.20 points

Thanks!!!

AnnieH
9th August 2017, 10:33 AM

Get's them going??
Seriously?
It gets me annoyed.

AnnieH
9th August 2017, 10:36 AM
So who goes out for Joey then? Could be Tippo I s'pose but he should be given a few games to see if he can re-discovered his best? Everyone else has been play good, if not great, footy.
I would also like to Cunningham make it back, if he can recapture his pre-injury form. He can provide that quick, hard running release player that works so well when we switch play.

How awful is it that we have so many to choose from and only one spot to give!!
A lot of club would be a bit jealous.
Love this club.

AnnieH
9th August 2017, 10:40 AM

No change

This.

Mountain Man
9th August 2017, 02:48 PM
I think Freo played with only 1 ruck last round - 37 hit outs to Griffin and 2 to Cox; a 193cm, 93k 7 games player

jono2707
9th August 2017, 03:21 PM
Get's them going??
Seriously?
It gets me annoyed.

For a gladiatorial-style sport, isn't that a good thing?

AB Swannie
9th August 2017, 05:43 PM
Kennedy is listed as 50/50 on swans website. For me, that means he doesn't play. One more week please. I think Naismith is probably in the same boat.

I think we have played our best footy this year with one ruck and I'd give that solo role to Sinkers over Tippett and let Deano go against the second ruck.

I'd still love to see Dawson again in the firsts but it is not likely.

Out: Tippett
In: Dawson

chalbilto
9th August 2017, 09:00 PM
This.

+1. If no injuries, then no change.

Mark26
10th August 2017, 10:26 AM
Out: Sinclair
In: Kennedy (if fit) otherwise Dawson.

Jeynez
10th August 2017, 10:36 AM
Dawson won't crack into the side for the rest of the year, if it hasn't happened already, it won't happen now that our injury list is short and finals is around the corner.

2018 will be his year

S.S. Bleeder
10th August 2017, 10:37 AM
This.

You'd like to think the club would be aware of this and wouldn't risk him. I know there are "no easy games anymore" but having him fit for the finals is more important than whether we finish fifth or eighth.

S.S. Bleeder
10th August 2017, 10:40 AM
As much as we'd all love to see Dawson playing it won't happen this late in the season. I see no changes and Tippett playing in the ruck (he's NAFA). I'm not a fan of Tippett but I think with Naismith injured he needs to be given another go to see if he sinks or swims.

S.S. Bleeder
10th August 2017, 10:47 AM
I'd love to see some sort of a chart on Hanneberys form over the season. It would be your classic J curve. The last few weeks he's shown that he's returning to the form that we all know he can produce. I'm tipping him to be one of our best players this finals series. ;)

swansrob
10th August 2017, 10:59 AM
Longmire has confirmed Naismith won't be playing this week. Kennedy still a possibility

liz
10th August 2017, 11:06 AM
I'd love to see some sort of a chart on Hanneberys form over the season. It would be your classic J curve. The last few weeks he's shown that he's returning to the form that we all know he can produce. I'm tipping him to be one of our best players this finals series. ;)

I think Hannebery's season has been interesting. Even though his form has been pretty good over the last couple of months, he's playing a different role. I don't think he's running nearly as much as in past seasons and certainly his disposal count has been well down. But he's laying more tackles, and I think his kicking has been much better too - possibly because he's not as fatigued as in past seasons. The change could be natural progression or tactical change, or could indicate he is carrying something that is preventing him running as much. (Some kind of groin soreness was speculated over a few weeks ago.) I think we have more players capable of running hard on the outside now, which reduces the reliance on Hanners doing this all the time.

Ludwig
10th August 2017, 11:45 AM
I'm not a fan of Tippett but I think with Naismith injured he needs to be given another go to see if he sinks or swims.You're probably right and we should give Tippett another game even though Sinclair has been playing better. If he's dropped now, he's finished for this year, barring injuries.

Ludwig
10th August 2017, 11:51 AM
I think Hannebery's season has been interesting. Even though his form has been pretty good over the last couple of months, he's playing a different role. I don't think he's running nearly as much as in past seasons and certainly his disposal count has been well down. But he's laying more tackles, and I think his kicking has been much better too - possibly because he's not as fatigued as in past seasons. The change could be natural progression or tactical change, or could indicate he is carrying something that is preventing him running as much. (Some kind of groin soreness was speculated over a few weeks ago.) I think we have more players capable of running hard on the outside now, which reduces the reliance on Hanners doing this all the time.Good observation and explains a lot. I had the feeling that he's been playing well, but just not seeing him popping up all over the place during games.

AnnieH
10th August 2017, 12:28 PM
If it's based on disposal efficiency then yes. Jones has been underperforming but he's in our best 22.

Jones was well-tagged last week.
He couldn't move an inch.

AnnieH
10th August 2017, 12:38 PM
For a gladiatorial-style sport, isn't that a good thing?

No.
It's never a good thing when I am annoyed.
:)

lwjoyner
10th August 2017, 12:55 PM
we should have traded naismith instead of Nankervis. sam to injury prone. cant play more than 4 in a row, a bit like tips.

Billericay
10th August 2017, 01:46 PM
I think Hannebery's season has been interesting. Even though his form has been pretty good over the last couple of months, he's playing a different role. I don't think he's running nearly as much as in past seasons and certainly his disposal count has been well down. But he's laying more tackles, and I think his kicking has been much better too - possibly because he's not as fatigued as in past seasons. The change could be natural progression or tactical change, or could indicate he is carrying something that is preventing him running as much. (Some kind of groin soreness was speculated over a few weeks ago.) I think we have more players capable of running hard on the outside now, which reduces the reliance on Hanners doing this all the time.

Very interesting observation. It feels like Lloyd in particular is playing the outside part of Hanners role and Dan is playing more as an inside midfielder. I seem to remember him playing forward against Geelong which felt unusual.

When Lloyd was out v Hawthorn it felt like Hanners could NOT cover for him effectively. But that could also be the whole outcoaching business.

AnnieH
10th August 2017, 02:06 PM
Very interesting observation. It feels like Lloyd in particular is playing the outside part of Hanners role and Dan is playing more as an inside midfielder. I seem to remember him playing forward against Geelong which felt unusual.

When Lloyd was out v Hawthorn it felt like Hanners could NOT cover for him effectively. But that could also be the whole outcoaching business.

Lloyd is an must-have for EVERY game.
He's a silent achiever.

CureTheSane
10th August 2017, 02:50 PM
The Dawsaon scenario is actually quite simple.
Longmire is saving him as a secret weapon for the grand final.
It will be his first game, first goal, and first flag.

ugg
10th August 2017, 03:05 PM

I know it was a dreadful game with an even worse result but he's already played against Collingwood.

SeanM
10th August 2017, 03:45 PM
I would not mind seeing Dawson get a game against Fremantle or Carlton.

I know he is behind Robinson, Foote, Cunningham and Florent. But he seems a different type of midfielder. He seems a solid inside midfielder who can also hurt the opposition with his contested marking and kicking.

There might be a situation during the finals where he is the best replacement for an injured player. But then gets overlooked for a midfielder that has played seniors more recently.

penga
10th August 2017, 06:22 PM
we should have traded naismith instead of Nankervis.

Yeah, nah.

Markwebbos
10th August 2017, 06:56 PM

I keep trying to tell myself Horse is saving him as a secret weapon, but I know it's not true. Let's hope 6:25 brings great joy to the Dawson lovers here (me included)

AB Swannie
10th August 2017, 07:10 PM
Alternate strip theory suggests not many (if any) changes. Dawson, Florent, Aliir, Foote, Robinson, Cunningham all seen in alternate strip from gallery of today's training.

Markwebbos
10th August 2017, 07:18 PM
Alternate strip theory suggests not many (if any) changes. Dawson, Florent, Aliir, Foote, Robinson, Cunningham all seen in alternate strip from gallery of today's training.

Let's see how the hypothesis holds up tonight?

Flying South
10th August 2017, 07:18 PM
I believe he has OP.

ugg
10th August 2017, 07:22 PM
Rohan in blue...

ugg
10th August 2017, 07:24 PM
No change ! Ie Kennedy not playing
In:M.Taberner, J.Deluca, S.Darcy
Out: J.Griffin, H.Crozier (concussion), B.Grey (hamstring)

AB Swannie
10th August 2017, 07:24 PM
Rohan in blue...
I haven't seen that photo. I'm looking at the swans website.

ugg
10th August 2017, 07:32 PM
I haven't seen that photo. I'm looking at the swans website.

Case of mistaken identity :(

Our emergencies are Foote Laidler Robinson. So Laidler for Aliir in the emergencies. Their emergencies are Ibbotson Griffin Collins

Interesting they brought Taberner a tall forward in without dropping a tall. So they are likely to go in with four tall forwards - McCarthy Kersten Cox in addition to Taberner

Hotpotato
10th August 2017, 07:41 PM
Dockers have nothing to lose by throwing the kitchen sink at us on Sat, including getting reported.
Hope there's no 'we've won this already ' mindset for this one.

10th August 2017, 07:42 PM

Our emergencies are Foote Laidler Robinson. So Laidler for Aliir in the emergencies. Their emergencies are Ibbotson Griffin Collins

Interesting they brought Taberner a tall forward in without dropping a tall. So they are likely to go in with four tall forwards - McCarthy Kersten Cox in addition to TabernerNone of those four are particularly imposing as key forwards, McCarthy maybe.

Dawson not on the emergency list so he'll get a full game in the curtain raiser. Neutral umpires is nice, don't know any of them so they can't have done damage to us that I've noticed.

dejavoodoo44
10th August 2017, 07:57 PM

Interesting they brought Taberner a tall forward in without dropping a tall. So they are likely to go in with four tall forwards - McCarthy Kersten Cox in addition to Taberner

Four not particularly damaging tall forwards? Perhaps they're trying to lull us into an apathetic sense of over confidence? But hey, since my confidence levels have no bearing on the result, I'm changing my prediction from Swans by 60, to Swans by 80.

Nico
10th August 2017, 08:22 PM
On SEN today they were talking about players who played a lot of reserves footy before seniors. Tuck and Doull 60 games. The fact Dawson re signed tells me that they think he is not ready. A big pre season maybe gets him to the physical condition he needs.

bloodspirit
10th August 2017, 09:06 PM
Amazing that Tuck played so many reserves games given that he was, until recently, the games record holder at senior level!

Mug Punter
10th August 2017, 10:47 PM
Amazing that Tuck played so many reserves games given that he was, until recently, the games record holder at senior level!

They were different days back then with the three grades, I think Dipper also played a huge number of reserves games for the Hawks too. On the other hand the odd kid got thrown to the wolves, think Tim Watson played senior footy before his 16th birthday.

- - - Updated - - -

On SEN today they were talking about players who played a lot of reserves footy before seniors. Tuck and Doull 60 games. The fact Dawson re signed tells me that they think he is not ready. A big pre season maybe gets him to the physical condition he needs.

Some players are too good to play twos, Mills and Heeney being good examples but on the whole I like the idea of the kids that get drafted, and they are still only kids, doing some time in the twos. It prepares them physically and I also think they are emotionally better equipped when they are a bit older.

Making Dawson wait until next year, and really making him earn it, won't do him any harm at all IMO. He'll be pumped for a big pre-season I'd say

goswannies
11th August 2017, 12:45 AM
They were different days back then with the three grades, I think Dipper also played a huge number of reserves games for the Hawks too. On the other hand the odd kid got thrown to the wolves, think Tim Watson played senior footy before his 16th birthday.

Claude Clough is the youngest ever debutant (for the Saints) 15 years 209 games. His career didn't have the longevity of Tim's, spanning 23 games over 2 seasons.

We once had a kid, Noel Rohleder, who was a relative veteran compared to Tim Watson who had to wait until the final round of the 1950 season to make his senior debut for the Swans at the grand old age of 16 years 251 days.

It was the last game of VFL footy he would ever play :(

iigrover
11th August 2017, 10:10 AM
...The fact Dawson re signed tells me that they think he is not ready. A big pre season maybe gets him to the physical condition he needs.

This.

O'Reilly Boy
11th August 2017, 10:56 AM
Loving the 'no changes', notwithstanding going without Joey. I'd rather have him back fully fit anyway. I have enjoyed watching Naismith all season, but am finding myself thinking that the Tippett/Sinclair combination will be the preferred set up going into September. Sinclair's break-out game deep in the forward 50 must give opposing coaches nightmares, especially as KT gets some match fitness and form back and can take more of the ruckwork on. Sinclair seems to be quite handy at ground level, and is putting in some great body work. A big marking FF takes the pressure of Buddy and allows for Reid to roll back to tighten up the closing minutes of quarters. I reckon Tippett is about to come good. Also glad to see Towers get some continuity. He was down last week, but still worked hard and put himself in good places. KJ has been very important these past few weeks, and I'm hoping that McVeigh sticks around for at least another season.
Sadly won't get to the game tomorrow. First miss in a long time. Cheer cheer.

Monty
11th August 2017, 11:43 AM
Had not seen Longmire's Thursday press conference till this morning. The interesting thing for me was that he did not endorse Macca for next year. Looks like they think his time might be up even though he has played very well the last few weeks.
This could be Dawson's spot for next year.

Mountain Man
11th August 2017, 12:25 PM
If Macca doesn't go for another year, then Newman has an awesome boot for coming from defense.

wolftone57
11th August 2017, 12:56 PM
Loving the 'no changes', notwithstanding going without Joey. I'd rather have him back fully fit anyway. I have enjoyed watching Naismith all season, but am finding myself thinking that the Tippett/Sinclair combination will be the preferred set up going into September. Sinclair's break-out game deep in the forward 50 must give opposing coaches nightmares, especially as KT gets some match fitness and form back and can take more of the ruckwork on. Sinclair seems to be quite handy at ground level, and is putting in some great body work. A big marking FF takes the pressure of Buddy and allows for Reid to roll back to tighten up the closing minutes of quarters. I reckon Tippett is about to come good. Also glad to see Towers get some continuity. He was down last week, but still worked hard and put himself in good places. KJ has been very important these past few weeks, and I'm hoping that McVeigh sticks around for at least another season.

Tippett and Sinclair do not get enough taps. They average about 18 each. Whereas Naismith averages over 30. Naismith also give us first use as his tap work is incredibly good, very accurate. Whereas the other two tend to be less than average in the HO to advantage stakes. I think if Naismith is fit he gets a guernsey.

- - - Updated - - -

If Macca doesn't go for another year, then Newman has an awesome boot for coming from defense.

I also think they will upgrade Murray too.

S.S. Bleeder
11th August 2017, 02:03 PM

ALA Mitch Morton you think? :-)

S.S. Bleeder
11th August 2017, 02:12 PM
Had not seen Longmire's Thursday press conference till this morning. The interesting thing for me was that he did not endorse Macca for next year. Looks like they think his time might be up even though he has played very well the last few weeks.
This could be Dawson's spot for next year.

I've been told that Macca actually wants to play on but the club only wants to discuss it at the end of the season. This makes a lot of sense. He has the ability to play another year but gets a lot of soft tissue injuries and another year is only going to see that worsen. I personally think that he will retire.

MattW
11th August 2017, 02:37 PM

Yeah, I agree re Sinclair/Tippett over Naismith for the reasons you put. Naismith has been looking a bit vulnerable around the ground. Tippett needs to keep building form, though.

This will actually be the first game I can attend since the GWS game early in the year. It's been hard to get up from Canberra this year. Can't wait; Fremantle have been going ok.

11th August 2017, 03:11 PM

excellent analysis - fully agree. naismith doesn't give us anything up fwd

Mark26
11th August 2017, 04:11 PM
In terms of the ruck tall combos being floated around, I honestly do not mind who plays out of Tippo, Naismith and Sinclair. I would have said that Sinclair was the weakest of the three, but his game has improved since coming back into the side. Obviously, we need to weigh up who is in form and opposition matchups too. The big reason for dropping any would be injuries as I don't think we have an ideal prefered first and second string ruckman order.

barry
11th August 2017, 04:56 PM
ALA Mitch Morton you think? :-)

Or selecting Reid in the 2016 grand final.. brave calls that won us flags.

Oops!

chammond
11th August 2017, 05:03 PM
Loving the 'no changes', notwithstanding going without Joey. I'd rather have him back fully fit anyway. I have enjoyed watching Naismith all season, but am finding myself thinking that the Tippett/Sinclair combination will be the preferred set up going into September.

There's no doubt that Naismith would be the high-risk option for the finals. He's still a novice - very much the "project" player still learning his craft - and susceptible to injury under the rigours of playing as first ruck.

Sinclair now has three full seasons of senior rucking under his belt, and Tippett has been rucking on-and-off for a decade. Naismith is the future, but for this year, and probably next, I suspect he'll be the back-up to the two senior rucks. It would certainly help Naismith's case if he was more dominant around the ground - he gets beaten in the marking contests too often, and he's only kicked 3 goals in 3 years.

Nevertheless, I think we're very fortunate to have Tippett/Sinclair in the ruck for the present, and Naismith/Cameron building for the future.

Mountain Man
11th August 2017, 05:16 PM
Fremantle have a very big lump of a lad as their only ruck - Sandilands size. He is only 18 years and 6 games; was rested last week, so it will be interesting how our 2 rucks expose him (or not!)

Blood Fever
11th August 2017, 05:26 PM
There's no doubt that Naismith would be the high-risk option for the finals. He's still a novice - very much the "project" player still learning his craft - and susceptible to injury under the rigours of playing as first ruck.

Sinclair now has three full seasons of senior rucking under his belt, and Tippett has been rucking on-and-off for a decade. Naismith is the future, but for this year, and probably next, I suspect he'll be the back-up to the two senior rucks. It would certainly help Naismith's case if he was more dominant around the ground - he gets beaten in the marking contests too often, and he's only kicked 3 goals in 3 years.

Nevertheless, I think we're very fortunate to have Tippett/Sinclair in the ruck for the present, and Naismith/Cameron building for the future.

Naismith gets his hand on the ball first a lot of the time. He is very agile and applies more chase and pressure. Will be very surprised if he in not playing in our first final. Has been front and centre during our run from 0-6.

Ludwig
11th August 2017, 08:47 PM
It's a real dilemma when you've got 3 mediocre ruckmen.

http://www.richardcrouse.ca//wp-content/uploads/2013/09/three-stooges.jpg

jono2707
12th August 2017, 01:22 AM
Naismith gets his hand on the ball first a lot of the time. He is very agile and applies more chase and pressure. Will be very surprised if he in not playing in our first final. Has been front and centre during our run from 0-6.

Sam is also doing his fair share of bash and crash around the packs, a la Mummy. Still early days but he looks to be learning the craft well - not as classy as a Kreuzer or a Nic Nat, but as a big hard bodied enforcer that can create space for his inside mids. I like the way he's progressing.

Doctor
12th August 2017, 01:36 AM
The forecast is fine but quite windy today apparently. The stands tend to block most of it out though.