PDA

View Full Version : Umpires today.

hardluck_harry
19th April 2004, 12:33 AM
Don't know if it was because the Swans won so easy and I don't know what the free kick tally was today, but I think the umpiring in the game against North was the best so far this year. They let the game flow and you never noticed them...at least not on TV.

Good effort considering the pressure the ump's have copped during the last week.

Rob-bloods
19th April 2004, 02:14 AM
Agreed did not interfere and let the game flow without lettting too much slip.

Now the part of the game I saw with the Pies vs HeaveHos the umpiring was appallingly in favour of Wobbles and almost got them back in the game, I bet the Pies Pres. won't comment on that display!

robbieando
19th April 2004, 03:52 AM
I'm not think the same thing. Sure no decision they made effected us badly, know did a free kick to us do the same, however the amount of free kicks that should of been paid was unbelieveable. There were at least 3 throws that weren't paid and a few holding the balls that should of been given. Still I suppose when you win the umpiring looks great.

hammo
19th April 2004, 12:01 PM
At least one of those throws led to a Kangas goal.

They got Leo's holding the ball spot on though. While the running is a big part of his / Swans game it doesn't make it any easier to handle when it doesn't come off. Sometimes I wish Leo would just throw it on the boot!

Rizzo
19th April 2004, 12:08 PM
Overall the umpiring was pretty good. The throws weren't picked up and there was a tackle without the ball decision against Doyle (I think) were he was committed to the action.

Sanecow
19th April 2004, 12:44 PM
There were a lot of pushes in the back as a player kicked the ball that were ignored. But that was OK because we performed most of them. :D

anne
19th April 2004, 02:32 PM
The umpiring was reasonable as we didn't have Goldspink. I watched the Essendon/Carlton game and the umpiring was appalling. Essendon has pulled off the coup of the decade - for a measly 20 grand they have ensured that all the umpires will favour them for the rest of the season. They are too terrified not to.

BAM_BAM
19th April 2004, 02:42 PM
we commented at the game that the umpiring appeared to be ok. Haven't watched the replay yet so my opinion may change after that.

Schneidergirl
19th April 2004, 03:16 PM
Although the umpiring was far better than the Cats game (Freo and Lions game) there were still a few decisions that didn't add up.

For instance, (these are the only ones I remember- haven't seen a replay in full yet) that kick that Schneider marked in the first quarter he was told to play on, because apparently it wasn't 15m. Then the same thing happen to the Kangas, though the ball travelled a lot less and he was awarded a mark.

There was a throw from a Kanga that wasn't awarded, although the same thing happened to the Swans and they got caught.

I know that there will never be a perfect game, but considering that there are 5 umpires (excluding the goal umps) on the ground it seems weak that sometimes they can get it so wrong!

Maybe the Swans should start to think about employing some umpires- paying them off. It seemed to work for the Bombers.

Speaking of the Bombers, it makes me so angry watching Lloyd acting for frees rather than concentrating on playing the game. How dumb do these umpires have to be to award him with free kicks for falling over his own feet!

sharpie
19th April 2004, 03:59 PM
Can boundary umps help out the field umps with anything they may not have seen on the field like they can in Rugby? I think that could be a good idea sometimes.

monopoly19
19th April 2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Schneidergirl

For instance, (these are the only ones I remember- haven't seen a replay in full yet) that kick that Schneider marked in the first quarter he was told to play on, because apparently it wasn't 15m. Then the same thing happen to the Kangas, though the ball travelled a lot less and he was awarded a mark.

He was called to play on because it was touched off the boot, nothing to do with 15m. He played on as soon as he got it, so the call was an early one from the umpire (which is good, as annoying as the call was). I couldn't tell if it had been touched off the boot, but the umpire was in a much better position so I'll take his word for it this time.

Schneidergirl
19th April 2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by monopoly19
He was called to play on because it was touched off the boot, nothing to do with 15m. He played on as soon as he got it, so the call was an early one from the umpire (which is good, as annoying as the call was). I couldn't tell if it had been touched off the boot, but the umpire was in a much better position so I'll take his word for it this time.

Ah right gotcha... makes more sense that way.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was v distressed! :)

stellation
19th April 2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by hammo
Sometimes I wish Leo would just throw it on the boot!

To add to that I'd love to see him throw it on the right one! I have no idea how he manages to confuse forwards who actually believe him when he looks to want to run onto his right side and then quickly moves back to his beloved left.

Old Royboy
19th April 2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
There were a lot of pushes in the back as a player kicked the ball that were ignored. But that was OK because we performed most of them. :D

Bazza got away with a couple of shoves in marking contests too. Call me a cynic, but I think the fact that North have no home crowd at Manuka was a big help. Goes to show that making a noise does help.

tombomb83
19th April 2004, 07:42 PM
I was actually getting kind of angry at the umpires, it seemed that the swans were pinged for holding the ball every time correctly, but I reckon on about 4 occasions kangaroos players ran and were run down my swans players and no free kick was paid. also there were 2 throws that resulted in goals. Although I think that we ended up with more free kicks.

Dpw
19th April 2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by anne
The umpiring was reasonable as we didn't have Goldspink. I watched the Essendon/Carlton game and the umpiring was appalling. Essendon has pulled off the coup of the decade - for a measly 20 grand they have ensured that all the umpires will favour them for the rest of the season. They are too terrified not to.

That is perhaps the worst comment I have ever seen, did you really think before you typed this.:rolleyes:

NMWBloods
20th April 2004, 01:52 PM
I thought the umpiring was very mixed, as it has been for all games this year. The interpretations are rather confusing and each umpire implements them differently, particularly with regard to 'holding the ball.'

The Boot
20th April 2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by anne
The umpiring was reasonable as we didn't have Goldspink.
Ab-so-flippin'-lutely!!!!!!!!!!

Ten bucks says we cop him this weekend.

:mad: