PDA

View Full Version : Playing on Anzac Day

shearer
21st April 2004, 09:39 AM
Dont know about anyone else here but i think playing our level of footy on Anzac DAY IS ABSOLUTELY un- Australian.

We shouldnt be playing on a day that signifys so much of our past.

Would be interested to hear anyone elses opinion and wether there was any objections from clubs to th league?

Monty Burns
21st April 2004, 02:53 PM
I disagree - I have no problem with games being scheduled for that day. In fact, I think that it is very Australian to do so. People can show their respect in many different ways and playing footy on the day doesn't mean that they are not remembering those that died for the country.

It would be nice to see black armbands and a minutes silence at all games.

I think that playing footy would be akin to heading down to the local RSL, playing 2-up and getting a skin full. That's not considered disrespectful.

Troy G
21st April 2004, 06:09 PM
I thought the soldiers showed their Aussie spirit by playing footy and cricket on the beaches when they could.

For those of us that never served or never had family that did and can in no way relate to it, the alternative of doing something very Australian like supporting or participating in sport on Anzac Day is I think a great thing to do!

It was many of the home town sporting heroes who were the first to sign up or expected to by politicians and town leaders who stayed home.

Norris Lurker
21st April 2004, 09:46 PM
I don't have a problem with it. But considering the Monday is a public holiday but there's no AFL scheduled, it's a shame they couldn't have put on a game then.

floppinab
22nd April 2004, 10:08 AM
I actually think it's great way for all to spend the day.
Morning at services and marches.
Footy in the afternoon

hammo
23rd April 2004, 12:25 PM
As long as the football doesn't impinge on the morning marches then there is nothing wrong with it.
ANZAC Day should be a day of rememberence but let us also appreciate what the diggers were fighting for - that's why the afternoon should be for reunions, a few drinks and footy.

Cher
23rd April 2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
I don't have a problem with it. But considering the Monday is a public holiday but there's no AFL scheduled, it's a shame they couldn't have put on a game then.

Monday is NOT a public holiday in Victoria.

....... and I think it would be 'Bloody Un-Austrraaalian' not to play or attend footy on Anzac Day!

peterh_oz
25th April 2004, 10:02 PM
Monday should NOT be a Public Holiday. ANZAC Day is a day of Rememberance - not "just another holiday".

Footy SHOULD be played though. But only in the afternoon.

BTW I saw a bit of the Lang Park NRL ANZAC Ceremony ... No National Anthem, and the PA announcer thanked both teams "for altering their usual pre-match routines". What a crock of brown stuff!