PDA

View Full Version : General footy chat #AFL Round 6 Weekly Discussion Thread

stevoswan
24th April 2019, 10:59 PM
Sheese, round 5 ended just two days ago. It's hard to keep up!

I don't feel so bad about us, the way the Demons are playing.....

Someone mentioned pre draft that we should grab Sydney Stack because of his name. We should have. He went through to the second draft and missed there as well but Richmond picked him up over the summer somehow. They've done a Kinnear there....he's going to be a gun! He's done some impressive things tonight.

I actually like watching Richmond play because I like a team that relentlessly runs and works and backs their team mates up.....relentlessly! They're impressive. I wish we would play that way.....we used to.:frown

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone.:five:

Go Swans!!

25th April 2019, 10:21 AM
I think Stack was top 20 on talent but had significant off field issues. Tigers rolled the dice by getting him to preseason and now looks a masterstroke. They have so turned around from 30 years of mediocrity.

Dees, last year Prelim an abberation now.

Ralph Dawg
25th April 2019, 10:57 AM
From Herald Sun write up of game:
Goodwin conceded young key forward Sam Weideman wasn’t “in super form” after another goalless night and that playing finals was “irrelevant” right now.
I wonder if we go 1-5 whether we will take the same stance?

Velour&Ruffles
25th April 2019, 02:31 PM
I don't feel so bad about us, the way the Demons are playing.....

It makes me feel much worse. Melbourne are revealed to be absolute crap yet they beat us comfortably.

stevoswan
25th April 2019, 06:19 PM
It makes me feel much worse. Melbourne are revealed to be absolute crap yet they beat us comfortably.

Yeah, I thought about that after I wrote it.....:rolleyes:

The umpiring in the Anzac Day game is terrible.....some mesmerisingly bad decisions being made, both ways but probably favouring Collingwood a bit. I don't know where they recruit the umpires from these days but they are consistently shocking....

stevoswan
25th April 2019, 06:23 PM
Some here complained about our five day break and suggested that it may have affected the way we ran out our last game but last night Richmond played like they were possessed, for all four quarters.....after a four day break. Are we properly fit?

Ludwig
25th April 2019, 07:10 PM
The pressure was great from both sides. I wish we could do the same. The umpires helped Collingwood get the win, but they were the better side in any case.

Along with Richmond, this game shows the kind of effort needed to win games of footy these days. We haven't showed it this year. It doesn't matter who's in the our side, but we have put the effort in if we want to compete.

Aprilbr
26th April 2019, 12:47 AM
It was a great game to watch as a neutral supporter. The Swans are miles behind these two teams at present.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RogueSwan
26th April 2019, 11:06 AM
Terrible behaviour by (I'm assuming) bombers fans at during the presentation last night. Especially considering what day it was. I'm glad Buckley said something about it.

KTigers
26th April 2019, 11:28 AM
Terrible behaviour by (I'm assuming) bombers fans at during the presentation last night. Especially considering what day it was. I'm glad Buckley said something about it.

I agree. What is wrong with these people? The whole telecast we have to listen to the commentators getting all breathless about
what a great spectacle the game and the MCG is with 90,000 seats being filled, but the reality is more than half of them have IQ's
barely into double figures and carry on like complete turkeys at the slightest provocation.

Melbourne_Blood
26th April 2019, 11:35 AM
I agree. What is wrong with these people? The whole telecast we have to listen to the commentators getting all breathless about
what a great spectacle the game and the MCG is with 90,000 seats being filled, but the reality is more than half of them have IQ's
barely into double figures and carry on like complete turkeys at the slightest provocation.

I was there, for the first time on Anzac Day , it is an absolutely amazing spectacle ! The booing was a shame , and Essendon fans are bloody feral , but give it a rest with you judging half the people there as morons. Riding a bit high in the saddle there. Settle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lwjoyner
26th April 2019, 12:56 PM
amazing about all the who ha with booing, nothing said when buddy gets it, and have they forgotten adam G

Meg
26th April 2019, 01:52 PM
amazing about all the who ha with booing, nothing said when buddy gets it, and have they forgotten adam G

Richard Hinds:

‘But if a ban on booers seems as unlikely as a balanced fixture, the AFL's overreaction did raise a couple of obvious questions.’

‘Where was this swift and firm-handed action when Adam Goodes was jeered for reasons that were, in my opinion, far more vile, premeditated and harmful than the pantomime villainy endured by Ablett?’

‘Actually, this is a rhetorical question because we now know that some of the AFL's most senior officials were tone-deaf to the racially motivated nature of Goodes' vilification and only realised their mistake in failing to defend one of the game's greatest servants and role models after he had been effectively booed out of the game.’

Scott Pendlebury, Gary Ablett jeers prompt possible AFL 'Boo Ban', but would it make a difference to fans? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-26/scott-pendlebury-gary-ablett-afl-booing-folau-richard-hinds/11046298)

Markwebbos
26th April 2019, 02:09 PM
Well put.

dimelb
26th April 2019, 02:54 PM
Richard Hinds:

‘But if a ban on booers seems as unlikely as a balanced fixture, the AFL's overreaction did raise a couple of obvious questions.’

‘Where was this swift and firm-handed action when Adam Goodes was jeered for reasons that were, in my opinion, far more vile, premeditated and harmful than the pantomime villainy endured by Ablett?’

‘Actually, this is a rhetorical question because we now know that some of the AFL's most senior officials were tone-deaf to the racially motivated nature of Goodes' vilification and only realised their mistake in failing to defend one of the game's greatest servants and role models after he had been effectively booed out of the game.’

Scott Pendlebury, Gary Ablett jeers prompt possible AFL 'Boo Ban', but would it make a difference to fans? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-26/scott-pendlebury-gary-ablett-afl-booing-folau-richard-hinds/11046298)

Thanks Meg - excellent article.

Blood Fever
26th April 2019, 04:54 PM
Thanks Meg - excellent article.

The Essendon fans were booing because of the umpiring. Buckley very sanctimonious. That sort of feral behaviour has been going on for years. If the Swans are playing Essendon, Richmond or Collingwood at marvel stadium, I won't go. Only go if those games are at the MCG where you can spread out a bit and sit with red and white fans. Had a couple of ordinary experiences at marvel, mainly Bomber fans.

KSAS
26th April 2019, 04:55 PM
+1 Great article. Thanks!

I'm chuckling listening to all the bomber supporters ringing up saying the post game booing during the ANZAC medal presentation, was due to a couple of bad late umpiring decisions which may've cost them the game. Boo Hoo!!! That was just a home and away game. Heaven help them if they ever make a GF and cop the level of one sided biased umpiring like we did in 2016!!!!! (Which will never happen to a Melb based team anyway). Yesterday's umpiring wasn't even nowhere near the spanking we got from the men in green in our home game against the Crows! The worst this year to date by a big margin as stated by one Dermot Brereton.

P.S. I also don't recall any booing from Swans supporters during the Dogs premiership medals / cup presentation.

Sandridge
26th April 2019, 05:03 PM
Richard Hinds:

‘Actually, this is a rhetorical question because we now know that some of the AFL's most senior officials were tone-deaf to the racially motivated nature of Goodes' vilification and only realised their mistake in failing to defend one of the game's greatest servants and role models after he had been effectively booed out of the game.’]

Thanks for posting Meg. Absolutely spot on!

Sandridge
26th April 2019, 05:09 PM
Damian Barrett often gets a bad rap on this forum - often deservedly so - but this is good.

Barrett: Many forms of booing but Essendon's was 'pathetic and selfish' - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-26/barrett-many-forms-of-booing-but-essendons-was-pathetic-and-selfish)

dimelb
26th April 2019, 06:30 PM
And Greg Baum joins in:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/footy-gets-the-boos-20190426-p51hlr.html

stevoswan
26th April 2019, 07:42 PM
Richard Hinds:

Richard Hinds is one of the good guys in the footy media. Said it beautifully.....

Matty10
26th April 2019, 08:28 PM
Had a couple of ordinary experiences at marvel, mainly Bomber fans.

That was my experience last year - turned me right off them. I did’t think the Tigers were so bad last year or this (in comparison). As a collective, I think the Bombers fans have a huge chip on their shoulder following their demise as an on-field powerhouse club (which in reality happened much earlier than the drugs scandal).

The Hawks were like that just prior to, and immediately after, the thwarted merger with Melbourne. Overtly and unnecessarily aggressive.

liz
26th April 2019, 08:34 PM
The Hawks were like that just prior to, and immediately after, the thwarted merger with Melbourne. Overtly and unnecessarily aggressive.

Hawks fans remain my most despised. Not all of them - I used to work with three Hawthorn supporters and two of them were pretty nice (and one was especially gracious immediately after the 2012 GF). But as a group, they seem to contain a high proportion of smug, self-entitled <insert word that wouldn't escape the swear filter>. And miserable too. I don't understand a supporter base that expends more energy on jeering the opposition than cheering their own side.

They just marginally shade out North supporters, in my book (though it's a very close run thing).

Mel_C
26th April 2019, 08:34 PM
I have the same view as Richard Hinds. All day I have been hearing about the outrage over the Pendlebury booing and the Ablett booing and I kept thinking where was this outrage when Goodes was being booed every single game, every time he touched the ball. I guess it's better late than never but it still makes me mad.

I don't buy the excuse that the booing was because of the umpires. The booing got louder when Pendlebury thanked the crowd.

Melbourne_Blood
26th April 2019, 09:02 PM
I have the same view as Richard Hinds. All day I have been hearing about the outrage over the Pendlebury booing and the Ablett booing and I kept thinking where was this outrage when Goodes was being booed every single game, every time he touched the ball. I guess it's better late than never but it still makes me mad.

I don't buy the excuse that the booing was because of the umpires. The booing got louder when Pendlebury thanked the crowd.

Pendlebury was a recipient of a Pretty dubious free kick in the last. The bombers fans were irate at the ground, it was 100% to do with the umpiring from my perspective in the stands . They were expressing their fury at a perceived injustice. Pendlebury copped it as he received some of those dubious free’s that weren’t paid the other way. I’m not excusing it but this is my take of it being there amongst some pretty feral bombers fans. It had been building up all day and that was the ugly crescendo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markwebbos
26th April 2019, 09:24 PM
If the crowd were booing Ablett to express their dislike of his liking a homophobic tweet, I think that's fair enough. He has the right to like the tweet and they have the right to dislike his liking...

Ditto if the crowd were booing Pendlebury because they were unhappy with the umpiring decisions he got. I think they should be allowed to cheer stuff they like and boo stuff they don't, although cheering looks nicer.

If the AFL was a principled organisation it would defend fans right to boo under these circumstances, just as it should have stopped Adam Goodes being booed out of the game by a bunch of racists. But the AFL hasn't got a principled bone in its body ... all it cares about is the "image" of the game to the extent it impacts on "stakeholders" i.e. broadcasters, sponsors and fans.

stevoswan
26th April 2019, 10:06 PM
If the crowd were booing Ablett to express their dislike of his liking a homophobic tweet, I think that's fair enough. He has the right to like the tweet and they have the right to dislike his liking...

Ditto if the crowd were booing Pendlebury because they were unhappy with the umpiring decisions he got. I think they should be allowed to cheer stuff they like and boo stuff they don't, although cheering looks nicer.

If the AFL was a principled organisation it would defend fans right to boo under these circumstances, just as it should have stopped Adam Goodes being booed out of the game by a bunch of racists. But the AFL hasn't got a principled bone in its body ... all it cares about is the "image" of the game to the extent it impacts on "stakeholders" i.e. broadcasters, sponsors and fans.

Good post MW....esp. the last bit about the 'stakeholders'.....of course, most of whom are in Victoria.

stevoswan
26th April 2019, 10:48 PM
Tonight's game.....is their a yawn emoji?:tongue:

If we don't beat North.....well, I can't even contemplate it.

Blood Fever
26th April 2019, 11:36 PM
Tonight's game.....is their a yawn emoji?:tongue:

If we don't beat North.....well, I can't even contemplate it.

Umpiring putrid and inconsistent. Holding the ball rule never been more confusing. Let it go and then pay one out of nowhere. Same with defenders wrestling.Never been worse.

Legs Akimbo
27th April 2019, 08:01 AM
If I want to boo at the footy I will (although I don't)
Booing to express disgust with Gary Ablett's 'liking' of homophobic rants seems reasonable but i wouldn't
Booing a man because is a proud indigenous Australian is ugly and racist and what happened fills me with shame
Booing Collingwood players has been going on for literally a 100 years. Should be more of it.
Booing umpires the same, although I feel for them. How they can correctly officiate the constantly changing subjective rules on part time wages is beyond me
Where does it start and where does it still stop. Suggest the AFL leaves booing alone and instead addresses the reasons why people boo, including doing something about Collingwood.

Velour&Ruffles
27th April 2019, 10:27 AM
If you started booing when Scott Pendlebury began speaking to express your disapproval of the performance of a different set of people who left the playing arena 5 minutes earlier, it shows that you are a rather stupid and confused person.

If you started booing when Scott Pendlebury began speaking to accept the Anzac Day Medal as part of footy's Anzac Day commemorations, whether to express your disapproval of either him or the performance of a different set of people who left the playing arena 5 minutes earlier, it shows you are a rather rude and discourteous person who has no sense of perspective and is missing the point of the event.

If you started booing when Scott Pendlebury began speaking to express your view that he got a free kick your team didn't, it shows that you have either forgotten or are simply choosing to ignore the fact that the only reason your team was a late chance at all is because of being gifted a goal by the umpires - that holding free to Mark Baguely a few minutes earlier was a truly awful decision which simply should not have been paid. Without that the Bombers didn't have a sniff.

So overall, my view of any of the boo-ers, whatever their professed motivation, is that they are most likely a stupid, confused, rude person, with no sense of perspective and the intellect of a tropical fish (and, like said fish, probably can be found wandering around with a string of poop hanging out of them because they forgot what they were doing half way through).

stevoswan
28th April 2019, 06:23 PM
Geelong doing it comfortably against the Eagles at home. Rohan 6 kicks, 4 marks and 3 goals in the first quarter.....he is realising his potential at his new club.

Carlton were doing it easy against the Hawks but the third quarter saw Hawthorn hit back. They hit the front early in the last but Carlton have just retaken the lead. Go Blues, even if it means they jump over us on the ladder.

Blues just kicked another....8 pts up, 20 odd minutes left.

Markwebbos
28th April 2019, 07:56 PM
Rohan's kicked 4 again

Blood Fever
28th April 2019, 08:30 PM
Rohan's kicked 4 again

Good luck to him. Swans and him needed a change.

MattW
28th April 2019, 08:54 PM
Good luck to him. Swans and him needed a change.

Yes. But I think it is relevant that Rohan's confidence was completely shot when he left us and that a number of our current players are also lacking confidence. Why is that?

I think it's also worth noting that Rohan was played in a number of different positions at the Swans and didn't get a run at the position that seemed to best suit him - high marking full forward leading out of the goal square. That was also kind of odd.

Blood Fever
28th April 2019, 11:29 PM
A couple of things. Probably felt the pressure of paying us back for nursing him through as he recovered from horrific leg injury. Also, the couple of shockers he had in the two grand finals probably put even more pressure on him. Weight of expectations can be very onerous. No baggage at Geelong so a lot more relaxed.

liz
28th April 2019, 11:41 PM
A couple of things. Probably felt the pressure of paying us back for nursing him through as he recovered from horrific leg injury. Also, the couple of shockers he had in the two grand finals probably put even more pressure on him. Weight of expectations can be very onerous. No baggage at Geelong so a lot more relaxed.

He's also playing (and predominantly played for us) a role that is far, far, far easier in a team in good form and high on confidence. He actually played plenty of pretty decent games for us too, in the exact same position. He has been a little more prolific for the Cats in front of goal than he was for us, but he was still a very useful scoreboard contributor when we were going well.

He seemed to complete substantially all of the Cats' pre-season too, from what I could see from media reports. That's in stark contrast to the Swans, where I'm not sure he ever participated in pre-season. His last two years were late starts due to various hamstring issues, and we know that before then he went through his long rehab from the leg. Who knows if it's just chance that his hammies allowed him to do the pre-season this year, or if the Cats did something different with him, conditioning wise. But I am sure his preparation is helping his form.

neilfws
28th April 2019, 11:44 PM
Our ex-players get feature articles when they move to Victoria :)

Mr Efficiency: Rohan's kicking goals for the Cats (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mr-efficiency-rohan-s-kicking-goals-for-the-cats-20190427-p51hrp.html)

But seriously, I can only wish him all the best when I read that.

stevoswan
29th April 2019, 12:16 AM

Mr Efficiency: Rohan's kicking goals for the Cats (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mr-efficiency-rohan-s-kicking-goals-for-the-cats-20190427-p51hrp.html)

Great article....and I have the same sentiments as you.:five: Happy for him.

dimelb
29th April 2019, 11:27 AM

It is well worth reading - thanks neilfws. I was particularly struck by the way he described his role at Sydney. It explains a lot I never quite understood. And yes, good luck to him and the coach who has licensed him to do what he does best.

29th April 2019, 11:23 PM
How about Beveridge complaining about the umpiring. Bit rich coming from a side that won a flag because of gross gifting by the umps!

stevoswan
30th April 2019, 02:38 PM
This is General and Swans chat but there is no thread specific to this subject so I'm putting it here.

Stats Files: Is new Bomber the AFL's turnover king? - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-30/stats-files-is-new-bomber-the-afls-turnover-king)

On the subject of turnovers, the above article regards individuals and turnovers. The three biggest turnover players in the league to this point of the season are Andrew Gaff, Jaeger O'Meara and Dylan Sheil...all gun players. Our own 'turnover king' or player who is perceived as such, Jake Lloyd is actually in the top ten on the 'best kick rating' list, with a 'hit rate' of 65.2%, which is apparently a 7.7% improvement on last year.....so, on those stats, he is actually getting better.:hmmmm2:

However, the article doesn't have team aggregate turnovers, which I'm sure we'd be close to leading but does sum up which teams are conceding the least points per game from turnovers and we sit fifth bottom on this list, conceding an average of 52.5 pts per game and we sit above Richmond (52.7), Essendon (54.7), Brisbane (55.2) and North Melbourne (57.7). However, three of those bottom four score far more heavily than we do and have 100+ percentages.....