PDA

View Full Version : Big Crowd!!

motorace_182
22nd April 2004, 02:34 PM
I think we will be seeing a big crowd this weekend. On BF there has been talk of at least 35,000 tickets sold to the general admission, that is on top of our 20,000 plus members, with approx another 5-10,000 to buy before 7pm on Saturday, we can expect a massive crowd by the look of it, possibly 60,000 plus!!!

stellation
22nd April 2004, 02:39 PM
Maybe THAT will convince the ground to serve Tooheys OLD!

barry
22nd April 2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by motorace_182
I think we will be seeing a big crowd this weekend. On BF there has been talk of at least 35,000 tickets sold to the general admission, that is on top of our 20,000 plus members, with approx another 5-10,000 to buy before 7pm on Saturday, we can expect a massive crowd by the look of it, possibly 60,000 plus!!!

Easy does it. On big footy the reported PAX number of 34,000 is probably closer to 19,000 if the truth be known. I think Grayham was just winding up a few leagues who are out of their comfort zone.

Still, should be over 35,000.

BAM_BAM
22nd April 2004, 02:48 PM
I've just come back from ticketek after buying our parking ticket. I asked how that was going as it's usually a good indication. Miss personality behind the counter grunted a reply of "I really couldn't tell you". Now I don't know if it's becuase it's a national secret and vital to our security forces, or because she just couldn't be bothered.:rolleyes:

Charlie
22nd April 2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by barry
Easy does it. On big footy the reported PAX number of 34,000 is probably closer to 19,000 if the truth be known. I think Grayham was just winding up a few leagues who are out of their comfort zone.

Grayham?

Haven't I seen him around here?

C'mon mate, if you're going to say that, you need to say who Grayham is! :D

robbieando
22nd April 2004, 03:02 PM

You little smartarse:D ;)

sharpie
22nd April 2004, 03:06 PM
Numbers may struggle slightly compared to what people here expect. Most of the people here are one-eyed AFL followers who may not realise this, but I would expect quite a few swans members, and members of the scg who go to watch the swans there, will be passing up the game to watch the waratahs play the brumbies at the sfs.

It is a fact of Sydney sporting culture that we struggle to be able to support two large crowds at the same time. The SFS will probably pack in 35,000 to watch the biggest game of the season for the 'Tahs, while I still don't see the Swans v Melbourne game as a blockbuster.

I wont be going to homebush for two reasons:
1) As a (what you could probably class as typical) North Shore resident, Homebush is just an aweful place to have to get to compared to Moore Park.
2) While I am a mad Swans member, I can watch them far more times a year than the Tahs, who are my 2nd favourite winter sports team. I am also a huge Rugby fan, and this game this weekend rates as one of the highlights of the season.

I know I am not alone in making this choice. However, I hate having to make the choice at all, and have written a few emails to the Swans this year and last to complain about the clash.

Having said that, I would expect about 35-40,000 at Homebush, which is nothing to be sneezed at.

hammo
22nd April 2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
The SFS will probably pack in 35,000 to watch the biggest game of the season for the 'Tahs, while I still don't see the Swans v Melbourne game as a blockbuster.

The rah rah is actually sold out so that would be at least 40,000.

The Demons may not be a big pulling team but 35,000 would still be the biggest home crowd for the year so far.

The two SCG crowds have been piss poor so it will be interesting to see how Telstra compares.

robbieando
22nd April 2004, 03:31 PM
I think the crowd will be in the 40,000's, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if we got less than 40,000 because of the fact Melbourne won't be bringing up the amount of fans a Collingwood or Essendon does. I would love to see over 50,000 but the fact is with the Union at the same time, and the fact the Dees aren't a high drawing team, it won't happen.

pillowtalk
22nd April 2004, 03:45 PM
Agree with you Sharpie and Robbieando. The waratahs playing at a sold out SFS is a huge factor. If there was no other sporting event to be held in Sydney that night, alot more people would make it out to Homebush.

The media hasn't hyped up this game as much as they did with Collingwood. You watch, when we play Collingwood at Telstra the media giants - not to mention both Swans and Collingwood - will make the most of it (especially with Eddie's backing).

I don't think the crowds at the SCG have been weak either :confused: The day we played Fremantle, it was threatening to rain yet the crowd still came out. Admittedly it was our first home game but it was also free to air on television !

Old Royboy
22nd April 2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
I wont be going to homebush for two reasons:
1) As a (what you could probably class as typical) North Shore resident, Homebush is just an aweful place to have to get to compared to Moore Park.
2) While I am a mad Swans member, I can watch them far more times a year than the Tahs, who are my 2nd favourite winter sports team. I am also a huge Rugby fan, and this game this weekend rates as one of the highlights of the season.

Guess this means the Stad Oz members section will be a bit empty - most of them joined for rah rah internationals. I don't think there will be much impact on the rest of the crowd - its the Westies who bump the crowd at Homebush and most of them dont give a rats clacker about the rah rah. 45K would be a good result.

Crowds this year effected by weather (Freo) and Easter (Cats). Next SCG game is Mothers day which ALWAYS seems to clash with a swannies game. (this is the only thing which has ever caused me to miss)

There seems to be something which hurts the crowd nearly every week.

sharpie
22nd April 2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Old Royboy
There seems to be something which hurts the crowd nearly every week.

Yep. Unlike in Melbourne, where there is nothing else to do! :D

(Had to have a jibe at all the recent bickering ;) )

barry
22nd April 2004, 04:56 PM
I think the AFL purposely fixtured this up against the RU.
They want a serious test of Western Sydney, so they are trying a small team, and removing a % of the east and north of Sydney by going against RU.

Interestingly the Coll game is up against a RU test.

floppinab
22nd April 2004, 05:22 PM
And don't forget all those service blokes and lassies get in FOC.
Hard to estimate the impact but it could well be fairly significant.

hammo
22nd April 2004, 05:47 PM
They want a serious test of Western Sydney, so they are trying a small team, and removing a % of the east and north of Sydney by going against RU.

Except it was the Swans who requested this date, time and venue!

I don't think the rah rah would've even concerned the club or the AFL.

Bart
22nd April 2004, 05:52 PM

Interestingly the Coll game is up against a RU test.

And our home game against the Kangaroos is up against the Bledisloe Cup :rolleyes:

motorace_182
22nd April 2004, 11:07 PM
Am i right in saying that the Pies game is up against the RWC Final Reamtch in terms of ratings?

barry
22nd April 2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by motorace_182
Am i right in saying that the Pies game is up against the RWC Final Reamtch in terms of ratings?

Yep, and Last I heard Channel 7 werent planning on televising it in the AFL states against the Swans, and were lobbying the ARU to move it to Sunday night.

Damien
22nd April 2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
And don't forget all those service blokes and lassies get in FOC.
Hard to estimate the impact but it could well be fairly significant.

I know older people sleep less lol, but you wouldn't imagine a) that many Sydney based Returned Service Men and Women of the generations that served are AFL fans b) that they would want to be outt the night before the biggest day of the year for them.

But it would be great to see a lot of them there if they do show.

Wardy
23rd April 2004, 08:51 AM
I am in Shapies boat I'm afraid this weekend - only reason being that I was invited to a corporate box at the Rugby and they dont come along everyday, so this gal is going to that. However a friend is using my Swans membership - so its not going to waste tomorrow night!

However I do know that both the NRL & the AFL do try to try accomodate each other and rarely do you see an Easts game on at the same time as the Swans. Even if they are the same day, the NRL game will be earlier, and a large number of fans go to the Swans game nextdoor afterwards.

As for the ARU - well they seem to be a law unto themselves.

There were 12 of us on the Swans forum last year and we raised that same question as to why the AFL & ARU dont get together and try and fit in with each other

We were told (in a non-accusing kind of way) that the ARU are the last to let the AFL & the NRL know of their plans for the year, they check the draw's of both codes and plan accordingly, hence there always seems to be a big rugby match played exactly the same time as a major AFL fixture.

But this year it seems on June 24 the England v Wallabies match is on but it is being played in Brisvegas, so that being the case we should get a massive crowd for the Swannies-Pies match.

I think the Bledisloe Cup game for Sydney is on at Telstra the same night we play the Kangaroos (August 7)

Anyway - Swannies to win tomorrow night!!!

Bart
23rd April 2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Wardy

As for the ARU - well they seem to be a law unto themselves.

There were 12 of us on the Swans forum last year and we raised that same question as to why the AFL & ARU dont get together and try and fit in with each otherI am in Shapies boat I'm afraid this weekend - only reason being that I was invited to a corporate box at the Rugby and they dont come along everyday, so this gal is going to that. However a friend is using my Swans membership - so its not going to waste tomorrow night!

However I do know that both the NRL & the AFL do try to try accomodate each other and rarely do you see an Easts game on at the same time as the Swans. Even if they are the same day, the NRL game will be earlier, and a large number of fans go to the Swans game nextdoor afterwards.

We were told (in a non-accusing kind of way) that the ARU are the last to let the AFL & the NRL know of their plans for the year, they check the draw's of both codes and plan accordingly, hence there always seems to be a big rugby match played exactly the same time as a major AFL fixture.

But this year it seems on June 24 the England v Wallabies match is on but it is being played in Brisvegas, so that being the case we should get a massive crowd for the Swannies-Pies match.

I think the Bledisloe Cup game for Sydney is on at Telstra the same night we play the Kangaroos (August 7)

Anyway - Swannies to win tomorrow night!!!

I don't think the ARU even think about AFL or NRL fixtures for a second. In fairness to them they don't firm up their international fixture until early in the year, which would be quite difficult when you are accomdoating teams from overseas.

However, totrally agree with the AFL and ARU talking. It is in no ones interests to have the only AFL match of the weekend competing directly with the RWC rematch. I was at that match and it was truly one of the most awseom sporting sepctacles I have ever seen. I'll be at the Swans-Pies but spewing I'll mis the rugby.

In addition both codes are going to canibilise their TV audiences. The AFL could have been looking at a record TV audince for a home and away match, but are now going to get caned in the Eastern States. Likewise the rugby will get hammered in the Soutehrn States at a time when they should be broadening their appeal after RWC.

No one wins.

League ? Who cares.

jixygirl
23rd April 2004, 09:34 AM
Seeing that the Rugby game is in Brisbane, it won't affect the crowd turning up to the match, but in the TV ratings it will be a different story, especially in Sydney. Probably because its Collingwood, Melbourne will still have a lot of people watching the footy. It just goes to show that more communication is needed.

Bart
23rd April 2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by jixygirl
Seeing that the Rugby game is in Brisbane, it won't affect the crowd turning up to the match,

Disagree. People will stay at home or to to the pub to watch this match rather than go to the AFL. (Although No Johnson or Wilkinson takes the shine off it a bit) still its pretty compelling viewing for a lot of Sydneysiders

swan_17
23rd April 2004, 12:04 PM
I'd be surprised but delighted if we get more to SA than they get to see the rah-rahs. I'd guess high 20s to low 30s for this game, as in no way do I consider that Melbourne are a 'blockbuster' team right now...I'm quite surprised that it is even played at SA, as a half empty stadium won't look good on telly. Why not have played it on the holiday Monday...at the SCG?

penga
23rd April 2004, 12:25 PM
remember that we got 30,000 for the "battle of the wooden spoon" match - rd 1 last year... dont underestimate the 4 match pass and the drawing ability of TS

Bart
23rd April 2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by swan_17
I'd be surprised but delighted if we get more to SA than they get to see the rah-rahs.

I think we will, but in fairness the other match has been sold out for weeks

Wardy
23rd April 2004, 01:22 PM
Exactly - this match has been sold out for weeks because its basically the Wallabies playing against the Wallabies.

I do sincerely hope that the Swannies match attracts over 40,000 but I cant see it and considering its a long weekend too has to be factored in as well.

I hope I 'm wrong!

have a great and safe weekend everyone - drive carefully.

cheers.

jixygirl
23rd April 2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Bart
Disagree. People will stay at home or to to the pub to watch this match rather than go to the AFL. (Although No Johnson or Wilkinson takes the shine off it a bit) still its pretty compelling viewing for a lot of Sydneysiders

If it was me (I enjoy watching the international rugby matches), I'd tape the rugby and watch it later. That's what I'll have to do, seeing that I'm travelling to Sydney for the footy.

sharpie
23rd April 2004, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately I am one that will be going to a pub to watch the England test instead of heading to the Swans. I hate making the decision, but there you go.

Old Royboy
23rd April 2004, 05:50 PM
Not all the rah rahs will be going to the Waratahs match. There are a few small cracks starting to show in the silvertails rah rah dam. LRT stayed true to his heritage and resisted going over to the dark side. Riverview now has an Aussi Rules team. May the cracks grow and grow!

bigdaz
23rd April 2004, 09:57 PM
Honestly, because of the Waratahs game, I think we,ll be lucky to come up with 40,000. Would love to see 50 to 60,000 but can,t see it happening:(

Damien
23rd April 2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by bigdaz
Honestly, because of the Waratahs game, I think we,ll be lucky to come up with 40,000. Would love to see 50 to 60,000 but can,t see it happening:(

I really don't think the Waratah's match will affect us much at all, a 'low' crowd will have more to do with the fact that we can't get any hype regarding our opponent on the weekend.