PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat Changes for Round 9 v St Kilda

bloodspirit
26th July 2020, 09:17 PM
Really depends on who's fit and who isn't. My feeling is that nobody is being dropped unless they are being replaced by someone who wasn't available before.

I feel very much endarkened about who is available and who isn't. Players who might become available: Melican, Brand, Hewett? What's the story with Hayward? I have a feeling he's likely not going to be available but really unclear about this. For that matter, how far off is Buddy? Player who might not be available: Rampe. :(

If Rampe is out, I think Mills will return to defence because who else is there to marshall the defence? Lloyd ain't it, not on his own. Nor is Aliir.

If two players come in, who goes out? I guess it depends a bit on who it is but I would think that probably Gray, right now, is the most vulnerable. Although it's hard to say that. Despite Gray not having a stand out game, I think having a few more experienced but not standout players (like Squizzy, Gray, Cunningham) can really help the newbies. Anyway, still think Gray is first to go if Hewett or Hayward is available. I would love to see us persist with the youth like Stephens, Ling and ET and let them continue their development.

Our list really isn't in bad shape. Entirely possible to see us making finals with a healthy list as soon as next year.

Sometimes people say who are our stars? With our whole list available we have: Buddy, Rampe, Papley, Joey, Parker, Lloyd who fit within what I would call the elite category. (Not the Dusty/Fyfe/Bont superstar level except for Buddy but elite nonetheless. I think all of those players are capable of being matchwinners on their day.) Then you add a raft of emerging talent behind that: Heeney, Mills, Florent, Hayward, Hewett, McCartin, Rowbottom, Dawson, Aliir. And finally the really new blood: Blakey, Ling, Stephens, ET, McInerney, hopefully Gould, maybe Warner. And then the worthy journeymen like Reid, Cunningham, O'Riordan, Fox, Sinclair, Clarke, maybe Melican, maybe Stoddart, maybe Ronke, maybe Bell, that we can put around those others. Finally you add in the next bunch of draftees (Campbell, Gulden, and maybe an earlier pick too), and hopefully a decent ruck that we trade in, and that looks to me like a list that can contend and which will hopefully improve over the coming seasons as they mature (depending on the ability of the young ones to step up and take over from the likes of first Buddy and Joey, and later Ramps and Parker, when they retire. As far as that goes, Mills is a future captain of the side and will be able to step up to that level of responsibility when the time comes. I am optimistic that enough of the others will be able to step up when the time comes too. Both McCartin and Gould are spoken of as being very mature leaders. Florent is also really mature.
I can totally see Rowbottom being another Parker. Hewett is uber reliable. Dawson is a little enigmatic but continues to impress me.) Forgive me for digressing from selection but it's satisfying to ruminate so positively. I hope I'm not deluded!

TheBloods
26th July 2020, 09:25 PM
Injury report stated Brand was a few weeks away. Doubt that's changed. Longmire said Hayward couldn't get up for the Hawks game, so maybe he was right on the edge of selection. Should be fine if he proves himself at training this week you'd think.

If Ramps is out, could see Gould or even Maibaum getting a look in. Depends on how fit Pel is most likely.

If Ramps plays - everything crossed! - Stephens might get a rest and someone like McInerney could fill in.

I would love to see no changes though to reward such an even team performance. Glad Reid got through unscathed, he will be even better for the run.

goswannies
26th July 2020, 09:32 PM
Glad Reid got through unscathed, he will be even better for the run.
One round doth not a season make ... but I too am glad he got through. Perfect decoy to take the pressure off our genuine key forward

TheBloods
26th July 2020, 09:36 PM
One round doth not a season make ... but I too am glad he got through. Perfect decoy to take the pressure off our genuine key forward

With the way this season is this first game back was an important step for Reid to get through. He has had an elongated pre-season so I think we have really put time to make sure his body is right and he will reward that patience I think. Just having a target to kick to seemed to make a difference, and also gave Papley and E.Taylor someone to feed off.

26th July 2020, 10:02 PM
Hewett is back surgery, probably the season.

Hayward probably be fit and displaces Gray. Wonder where Gould is at?

Don't drop kids.

mcs
26th July 2020, 10:38 PM
For mine, if I was the coach, I'd try to keep changes to a minimal this week, to reward the great effort on the weekend across the team. I felt it was a really even team performance, with some standout performances, but none that truly made you cringe and go 'no thankyou'.

So just injury replacements for mine as needed, though maybe Gray might be marginal.

Ralph Dawg
27th July 2020, 09:10 AM
Hewett is out for a long time. COR and Warner still fringe. If Hayward is fully fit, happy for him to return for Gray, otherwise unchanged lineup.

But if Rampe is out, Melican or Maibaum in. I think we would also need to bring Gould in given the tall Saints forward line (Ryder, Membrey, King).

aguy
27th July 2020, 09:11 AM
Gould for Rampe.
Hayward for gray

That’s it

neilfws
27th July 2020, 10:11 AM
Latest on Rampe: hand is broken, surgery today. Still a chance for Round 9 so hopefully not too serious.

Scans confirm Rampe injury (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/783575/scans-confirm-rampe-injury)

bloodspirit
27th July 2020, 10:16 AM
I had no idea Hewett's injury/issue was so serious. What a year! It's actually good timing, while we're not contending and the season is so strange. Will hopefully accelerate the kids' development, help us make more informed list management decisions and possibly improve our draft picks.

Still no word on Rampe's hand?

dejavoodoo44
27th July 2020, 10:16 AM
Latest on Rampe: hand is broken, surgery today. Still a chance for Round 9 so hopefully not too serious.

Scans confirm Rampe injury (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/783575/scans-confirm-rampe-injury)
Yes, I was just about to post that.

Which makes his performance on Saturday even better. I rated it as 10 out of 10, but now that the injury is confirmed, I think we can safely crank it up to 11.

snajik
27th July 2020, 10:46 AM
Can't seem to open it at the moment, but the AFL site before Saturday's game was showing Heeney and Naismith out for season, Ronke long-term (9 weeks?), Kennedy and Buddy 4-6 weeks, Brand was 1-2 weeks, though it had Hewitt, O'Riordan and Hayward as being a week away from memory. Is Hewitt definitely out long term? Pretty sure Ronke has a back injury. The two aren't being confused?

goswannies
27th July 2020, 10:59 AM
Can't seem to open it at the moment, but the AFL site before Saturday's game was showing Heeney and Naismith out for season, Ronke long-term (9 weeks?), Kennedy and Buddy 4-6 weeks, Brand was 1-2 weeks, though it had Hewitt, O'Riordan and Hayward as being a week away from memory. Is Hewitt definitely out long term? Pretty sure Ronke has a back injury. Those two aren't being confused?
Given that Hewitt’s situation was straight from the Horse’s mouth in his post match presser at the time I’d say not confused

Markwebbos
27th July 2020, 11:06 AM
Can't seem to open it at the moment, but the AFL site before Saturday's game was showing Heeney and Naismith out for season, Ronke long-term (9 weeks?), Kennedy and Buddy 4-6 weeks, Brand was 1-2 weeks, though it had Hewitt, O'Riordan and Hayward as being a week away from memory. Is Hewitt definitely out long term? Pretty sure Ronke has a back injury. The two aren't being confused?

I think Hewett was listed as test or TBA until he had surgery. Now 6-8 weeks

snajik
27th July 2020, 11:09 AM
Thanks. Fair enough. Sad news, but I guess we're used to that in 2020.

Captain
27th July 2020, 11:55 AM
Having JPK and Hewett out actually gives us a lot more speed through the midfield. Hewett is also a defensive minded player so it's refreshing to see more of an attacking player like Rowbottom step in his shoes.

If Hayward is fit, I would bring him in for Gray.

If Rampe doesn't get up and COR is fit that would be a straight swap. Aliir (play on King or Ryder) and Fox (play on Membrey) can be our tall defenders and Reid pinch hits in the ruck.

Ralph Dawg
27th July 2020, 01:38 PM
Given where we sit and the nature of this season, it would be insanity to play Ramps. I presume the surgery will involve some K Wires at least, if not screws +/- plate. With the St Kilda game this weekend, it will be less than a week post surgery. Give him as much time as needed to recover - this weekend's game (and the rest of the season) are not worth a long term injury.

Ludwig
27th July 2020, 01:39 PM
Hewett had a discectomy. With only 9 games left to the season, we are not likely to see him again. I think JPK is unlikely as well; why would you push him to play the last couple of games in this season?

I wouldn't push Rampe to come back from hand surgery, even though Tom Lynch played after having a plate put in his broken hand a couple of weeks back. It's nice to win, but we're not in the premiership race. On the other hand, his leadership would be sorely missed and he's better than any replacement, even with one hand tied behind his back.

With the Rampe injury, it might be a good time to try a taller backline, which would mean Melican and either Maibaum or Gould. If Rampe is out, the backline leadership falls on Lloyd and Aliir. There will be a temptation to bring Mills back to defence, but I prefer he stays in the midfield. Aliir looked comfortable being the backline leader in the NEAFL. It would be a good part of his development as well.

If COR is fit, I would try him out playing the wing, in place of Gray or Clarke. He might even be used as a tagger.

It's going to be a really tough game against the Saints. Hard to see us winning, but it's a strange year. The main thing is to put in a solid effort and push them to the limit.

PS: I think I saw a question about the elevated rookies. Only Cat B rookies need to elevated to play senior footy. Both of ours have now been elevated.

graemed
27th July 2020, 01:51 PM
Just heard from a very reliable source that Rampe will be out for the season following significant surgery on his hand.

This season just goes from bad to worse.

Every week we lose our best player.

Ralph Dawg
27th July 2020, 01:56 PM
Just heard from a very reliable source that Rampe will be out for the season following significant surgery on his hand.

Imagine if it was a normal season. The Neafl team would be mostly academy boys by now. Would've got a good look at Gulden and Campbell.

Captain
27th July 2020, 02:17 PM

Wow that's devastating. Rampe was in such great form and surely a chance at AA.

chalbilto
27th July 2020, 02:42 PM

As we aren't in contention I am not despondent with the injuries to our best players, it gives the club the opportunity to give games to the younger ones especially as there is no NEAFL competition. This season is totally crazy so let's look forward to 2021. New kids, new style of daring play I for one am excited. I also would like to see the club persevere with Mills in the center, bring in from Melican, Gould, Miabaum or Corr for Rampe.

waswan
27th July 2020, 02:54 PM
Clarkes disposal might be poor and decison making not the greatest but he is a bigger body and knows how to get his hands on the ball. No one who would come in would get more touches

Id get him to tag Jones and let Stephens run with Hill

Ludwig
27th July 2020, 03:22 PM
Clarkes disposal might be poor and decison making not the greatest but he is a bigger body and knows how to get his hands on the ball. No one who would come in would get more touches

Id get him to tag Jones and let Stephens run with HillClarke tagging Jones would be an interesting test, as Zak has great acceleration out of congestion. If he could do it successfully, I just might change my mind on Clarke.

Losing Zak Jones was a big loss, but there is an upside in that we used the pick we got (32) for Elijah Taylor. So maybe the big picture doesn't look so bad.

dejavoodoo44
27th July 2020, 04:12 PM
Clarke tagging Jones would be an interesting test, as Zak has great acceleration out of congestion. If he could do it successfully, I just might change my mind on Clarke.

Losing Zak Jones was a big loss, but there is an upside in that we used the pick we got (32) for Elijah Taylor. So maybe the big picture doesn't look so bad.

Yeah, but with Jones playing for St Kilda next week, there's still roughly an even money chance that his kicks will go to our players.

Ludwig
27th July 2020, 04:44 PM
Yeah, but with Jones playing for St Kilda next week, there's still roughly an even money chance that his kicks will go to our players.But if he kicks it to Clarke, then there's better than even money chance it will go back to the Saints.

dejavoodoo44
27th July 2020, 05:10 PM
But if he kicks it to Clarke, then there's better than even money chance it will go back to the Saints.
Yes, but if my man Clarke is tagging him, it's likely that the pressure applied, will result in a greater than 50% chance that it will go to a Swan.

Nico
27th July 2020, 05:45 PM
But if he kicks it to Clarke, then there's better than even money chance it will go back to the Saints.

Don't be so unkind.

Mountain Man
27th July 2020, 05:52 PM
I feel sorry for Sinclair (again) with the prospect of being double teamed by Marshall and Ryder who are both in good form. Both were in the Coaches' best last week with large number of hit outs and 4 goals between them.

king, Membery and one of those means we must get some height into our defence.

waswan
27th July 2020, 05:54 PM
Marshall is out injured

The Big Cat
27th July 2020, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=Mountain Man;797904
king, Membery and one of those means we must get some height into our defence.[/QUOTE]

Membrey will be praying Rampe is out. He's played on him half a dozen times now and is still waiting to touch the footy.

stevoswan
27th July 2020, 06:25 PM
Membrey will be praying Rampe is out. He's played on him half a dozen times now and is still waiting to touch the footy.

His prayers have been answered it seems....but I say bring in Gould and Membrey might still be waiting to touch the ball. I reckon Gould is going to be a gun.

Ludwig
27th July 2020, 06:27 PM
Yes, but if my man Clarke is tagging him, it's likely that the pressure applied, will result in a greater than 50% chance that it will go to a Swan.:hmmm Hmmm

Then the siren goes off and Sweet Caroline starts to play.

Ludwig
27th July 2020, 06:30 PM
Marshall is out injuredFor Port Adelaide.

Markwebbos
27th July 2020, 07:15 PM
Clarke is too slow to tag Jones, I reckon he'll play on Hill. I didn't see much of Isaac Smith or Tom Scully Saturday so I reckon he did OK. (Clarke 20 disposals, Scully 14, Smith 16). Clarke's disposal is awful but he gets to a lot of contests. Hopefully others (Stephens) will soon take his place.

Not sure who would play on Jones? Possibly someone like Olly who is quick, or would Bell be quick enough?

I can't imagine Rampe will play given he's got a broken hand. I would think they'll bring in Melican for him ... I really don't want Mills playing in defence, but I can understand why they might want to play him back there?

Like everyone else, keen to see Gould get a game sooner rather than later. He's physically (height) like for like with Rampe, but he's not going to be anywhere near Rampe's level in his first game of AFL.

There's potentially Hayward and O'Riordan to come back.

OUT: Rampe (hand), Gray
IN: Melican, Hayward

Hotpotato
27th July 2020, 07:59 PM
Kath Watson just said on AFL tonight that Rampe is an outside chance of playing against The Saints.
Seems strange.

Aprilbr
27th July 2020, 08:04 PM
I would not put it past Rampe to play despite the operation. What a Swans player! A real warrior. Having said that we should not risk his health and safety unless there is negligible risk of hurting it further. If one of those tall backs like Melican is available I would go with them given the Saints' size in attack.

waswan
27th July 2020, 08:15 PM
For Port Adelaide.
Whoops just saw the headline

i'm-uninformed2
27th July 2020, 08:42 PM
I would not put it past Rampe to play despite the operation. What a Swans player! A real warrior. Having said that we should not risk his health and safety unless there is negligible risk of hurting it further. If one of those tall backs like Melican is available I would go with them given the Saints' size in attack.

I’m trying to put Rampe’s game on the weekend in context. I know Paps got the headlines but jeez it was out of this world. From the touch on the goal line to some daring kicks to the pain he must have been in.

I’d put it on par with the likes of Joey in the 16 grand final or Heeney in AJ’s last game or Paul Kelly against the West Coast in mid-90s or Goodes vs Port in 03 final.

Tough, skilful, relentless and full of leadership.

Markwebbos
27th July 2020, 08:51 PM
Ramps got 10 from the coaches, Papley (despite milking those free kicks) got 7 (so a 3 or 4 from Clarko)

Jimitron5000
27th July 2020, 10:22 PM

Agree, although I would like to see Will Gould make his debut.

27th July 2020, 10:27 PM
Ramps got 10 from the coaches, Papley (despite receiving only that single AFL ticked off free kick all game) got 7 (so a 3 or 4 from Clarko)

There, fixed that for you :-)

Markwebbos
27th July 2020, 10:43 PM
There, fixed that for you :-)

Nicely corrected. Clarko thinks more of him than he says, but his diversionary tactics appear to have backfired big time

- - - Updated - - -

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson will receive a please explain from the AFL after his criticism of the umpiring following Saturday’s seven-point loss to Sydney, according to Sportsday host Sam McClure.

Alastair Clarkson to be hit with please explain by AFL after umpire criticism (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/07/27/clarkson-to-be-hit-with-please-explain-by-afl-after-umpire-criticism/)

McClure understands that the AFL will demand an explanation from Clarkson regarding his comments on the umpiring.

“We can report to you tonight that Alastair Clarkson, the Hawthorn coach, will be hit with a please explain – potentially even more than that by the AFL in the coming hours, over his latest comments to do with AFL umpires,” McClure told Sportsday.

Blood Fever
27th July 2020, 11:08 PM
Nicely corrected. Clarko thinks more of him than he says, but his diversionary tactics appear to have backfired big time

- - - Updated - - -

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson will receive a please explain from the AFL after his criticism of the umpiring following Saturday’s seven-point loss to Sydney, according to Sportsday host Sam McClure.

Alastair Clarkson to be hit with please explain by AFL after umpire criticism (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/07/27/clarkson-to-be-hit-with-please-explain-by-afl-after-umpire-criticism/)

McClure understands that the AFL will demand an explanation from Clarkson regarding his comments on the umpiring.

“We can report to you tonight that Alastair Clarkson, the Hawthorn coach, will be hit with a please explain – potentially even more than that by the AFL in the coming hours, over his latest comments to do with AFL umpires,” McClure told Sportsday.

Potential insipid slap on the wrist. AFL weak as piss.

neilfws
28th July 2020, 02:21 PM
Official line is still that Rampe is a chance. I think they might err on the side of caution when the time comes, but good to know it isn't too serious.

Longmire: Rampe a chance to play (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/784332/longmire-rampe-a-chance-to-play)

Markwebbos
28th July 2020, 02:26 PM
Longmire was more positive than that, saying: "He played the rest of the game and played a sensational game, so hopefully he’ll get to the line,"

Horse also says Hayward and Melican both a chance to play. Not sure whether that's 5% or 95%

barracuda
28th July 2020, 02:47 PM
I'd really like to see Wicks and Foote get an opportunity. Both are second year players with a good track record of performance in the scratch matches and the neafl. Both have contracts expiring in October. If they don't get a chance and continually get overlooked for first year draftees then it looks like they don't figure in the swans future thinking. In a season where finals are not going to happen at least they have earned a chance.

Gray had one tiny patch where he got some repeat touches bringing him to 11. Wicks is a specialist pressure forward with very high tackle rates and good ball use.
Stephens needs a rest with only 9 touches off the wing. Foote would be a good replacement.

Ludwig
28th July 2020, 03:36 PM
Amartey is the most important one to bring into the side as our ruck situation is the most uncertain going into next year. Once Knoll is fit to play, we should give him a shot as well. With list sizes looking to be cut, we will have a tough decision to make regarding which ruckmen we take into 2021 and whether we need to recruit one from another club. I don't think Sinclair can lead the ruck division. His an okay backup, but not a first choice.

bloodspirit
28th July 2020, 05:36 PM
It seems that Hayward, Melican, and Amartey will all be available this week. Of those I think Hayward will probably come in. Melican may be considered if Rampe can't play. I'm really torn about Rampe - he is irreplaceable but I don't want to do anything to jeopardise his recovery. While I would love us to win, and failing that to compete hard, this game is not the most important thing in the world and having Rampe available in the medium term is much more important.

Odysseus
28th July 2020, 06:02 PM
It seems that Hayward, Melican, and Amartey will all be available this week. Of those I think Hayward will probably come in. Melican may be considered if Rampe can't play. I'm really torn about Rampe - he is irreplaceable but I don't want to do anything to jeopardise his recovery. While I would love us to win, and failing that to compete hard, this game is not the most important thing in the world and having Rampe available in the medium term is much more important.

100% agree re Rampe.

I'm inclined to hope that they tell him to sit this game out. Maybe our medical folk can express an opinion, but as a layman, I'd be much happier thinking he was being given some time to recuperate.

waswan
28th July 2020, 06:26 PM
Whats the deal with Hewett, read here it was all but season over then read AFL he is a chance this week ?

Odysseus
28th July 2020, 06:40 PM
Whats the deal with Hewett, read here it was all but season over then read AFL he is a chance this week ?

Where are you reading that, waswan? What I'm seeing the-full-afl-injury-list-round-nine (https://www.afl.com.au/news/477068/the-full-afl-injury-list-round-nine) says 6-8 weeks for Hewett. It's Rampe who, apparently, is a chance against all previous expectation.

Aaron
28th July 2020, 06:46 PM
According to Injury blow for Hewett (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/781194/injury-blow-for-hewett) "Hewett has a bulging disc in his back which will see him out of action for 6-8 weeks." Before they decided to have an operation, it was mentioned as " TEST". I thought because Gardinar's Injury update has not mentioned Hewett, the AFL site has not revised the information on their site accordingly.

Ludwig
28th July 2020, 07:10 PM
According to Injury blow for Hewett (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/781194/injury-blow-for-hewett) "Hewett has a bulging disc in his back which will see him out of action for 6-8 weeks." Before they decided to have an operation, it was mentioned as " TEST". I thought because Gardinar's Injury update has not mentioned Hewett, the AFL site has not revised the information on their site accordingly.With a dozen players on the injury list it's a massive job Charlie Gardiner has each week to keep it up to date. We should go easy on him. He's new at the job and he is only a lawyer. We shouldn't expect too much. :rolleyes:

Markwebbos
28th July 2020, 08:31 PM
An important requirement from this week's game v the Saints is that Mills continues to be allowed to play in the midfield. If Rampe is unable to play, which seems quite a high probability, then I don't want Mills being moved back to provide leadership. Let Aliir lead and bring in the Manchild.

BTW there was a discussion on the AFL website (The Data Game) of how Zak Jones is flourishing as a centre-bounce attending midfielder rather than wingman. He's averaging 6.5 clearances a game!

MattW
28th July 2020, 09:18 PM
I don't really have a view on ins and outs, given it depends on Rampe's fitness and we don't have a scratch match form guide.

I just really want to win this week. I feel like the vast majority of the media coverage the game has focussed on the Clarkson comments and the Hawks' demise and very little on the Swans' achievement of toughing it out. It seriously @@@@s me that every conversation about Papley is attached to speculation about whether Carlton can prise him away. It also @@@@s me that every commentary unit needs to mention Rampe climbing a goal post at least once a game. He's earned more respect. I think we're regarded as an easybeat team and the team itself is not given enough respect

St Kilda have been lauded after 5 wins from 8. We've beaten them consistently recently and offloaded two of our players to them. I know we're rebuilding, but I don't want to lose to St Kilda.

Jimitron5000
28th July 2020, 09:29 PM
An important requirement from this week's game v the Saints is that Mills continues to be allowed to play in the midfield. If Rampe is unable to play, which seems quite a high probability, then I don't want Mills being moved back to provide leadership. Let Aliir lead and bring in the Manchild.

BTW there was a discussion on the AFL website (The Data Game) of how Zak Jones is flourishing as a centre-bounce attending midfielder rather than wingman. He's averaging 6.5 clearances a game!

I watched us play Carlton at Marvel early last year and Jones was the only player who looked like either getting a clean clearance and stopping Carlton getting a clearance. It was all to do with his acceleration. He has faults but he is a very good player.

Nico
28th July 2020, 09:34 PM
I watched us play Carlton at Marvel early last year and Jones was the only player who looked like either getting a clean clearance and stopping Carlton getting a clearance. It was all to do with his acceleration. He has faults but he is a very good player.

And he is hard at it. Got me why he wasn't used in the centre bounces more often.

Markwebbos
28th July 2020, 10:09 PM
And he is hard at it. Got me why he wasn't used in the centre bounces more often.

That was my thinking. Given our trouble winning clearances and lacking leg speed why didn’t the Swans play him on ball?

Melbourne_Blood
28th July 2020, 10:19 PM
I don't really have a view on ins and outs, given it depends on Rampe's fitness and we don't have a scratch match form guide.

I just really want to win this week. I feel like the vast majority of the media coverage the game has focussed on the Clarkson comments and the Hawks' demise and very little on the Swans' achievement of toughing it out. It seriously @@@@s me that every conversation about Papley is attached to speculation about whether Carlton can prise him away. It also @@@@s me that every commentary unit needs to mention Rampe climbing a goal post at least once a game. He's earned more respect. I think we're regarded as an easybeat team and the team itself is not given enough respect

St Kilda have been lauded after 5 wins from 8. We've beaten them consistently recently and offloaded two of our players to them. I know we're rebuilding, but I don't want to lose to St Kilda.

To be fair They’ve thrown two of those away though ( Roos & Dockers). They’ve touched up the Dogs, Tiges and now the ladder leaders Port on their home deck ( with at least some of their feral supporters there too ).

They’re looking pretty good. Our only hope is another mental meltdown I feel ( see Roos & Dockers games ).

Especially if Rampe is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waswan
28th July 2020, 10:20 PM
Where are you reading that, waswan? What I'm seeing the-full-afl-injury-list-round-nine (https://www.afl.com.au/news/477068/the-full-afl-injury-list-round-nine) says 6-8 weeks for Hewett. It's Rampe who, apparently, is a chance against all previous expectation.
Was on AFL this morning been updated since

Blood Fever
28th July 2020, 10:39 PM
That was my thinking. Given our trouble winning clearances and lacking leg speed why didn’t the Swans play him on ball?

We did play him on the ball but he kept getting injured

Ludwig
28th July 2020, 11:00 PM
All 14 Experts at The Age picked St. Kilda to win, for what it's worth.

TheBloods
28th July 2020, 11:08 PM

Was Mills really that influential in the midfield? He was serviceable no doubt, but it's ironic you speak of how well Zak Jones is doing in clearances. Our mids didn't look close to getting a clearance, Mills included. Rowbottom most likely, but all he did was get caught with it.

Would Mills be missed that much at centre bounces? I highly doubt that .

MattW
28th July 2020, 11:49 PM

Certainly worth noting. Last week 3/14 tipped us. Let's show them!

Markwebbos
29th July 2020, 12:10 AM
We did play him on the ball but he kept getting injured

That’s not how I remember it.

- - - Updated - - -

Was Mills really that influential in the midfield? He was serviceable no doubt, but it's ironic you speak of how well Zak Jones is doing in clearances. Our mids didn't look close to getting a clearance, Mills included. Rowbottom most likely, but all he did was get caught with it.

Would Mills be missed that much at centre bounces? I highly doubt that .

He’s had one game. He needs to be given a run at it, preferably the rest of the year.

Melbourne_Blood
29th July 2020, 07:11 AM
That’s not how I remember it.

- - - Updated - - -

He’s had one game. He needs to be given a run at it, preferably the rest of the year.

+ 1. He’s essentially having to re learn a role that he’s pretty much never played at the top level. It’s not going to happen after one or two games.

MattW
29th July 2020, 09:12 AM
A little love here, although they couldn't resist a hackneyed sledge at the start of the bit (also the Fox reporters are tipping St Kilda 11 zip):

"Champion Data numbers revealed On The Couch indicated the Swans’ ball movement has become quicker, more central and more direct. Over the past four rounds, the Swans have been ranked first for corridor usage from defensive 50 and kick long percentage, as well as second for mark-play on percentage and third for kick forward percentage."

AFL Round 9 2020 tipping, Blowtorch: Preview, fixture, tips, predictions, SuperCoach, Fox Footy commentators, betting odds | FOX SPORTS (https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/afl/afl-round-9-2020-tipping-blowtorch-preview-fixture-tips-predictions-supercoach-fox-footy-commentators-betting-odds/news-story/aae11912528aea60ce167d80c9049e74?__twitter_impress ion=true)

Colin Hounsell
29th July 2020, 10:09 AM
Agreed. The media “good on you horse for letting the kids play” comments are just as repetitive and stupid as the criticisms from 4 weeks ago. Problem with those Mexicans is they don’t enjoy tactics and hard hits.

Colin Hounsell
29th July 2020, 10:15 AM
On changes for this week, surely Rampe out. Maybe Stephens rested. Hopefully Hayward in. Try Melican as well.

Try Bell on the ball this week? Seeing Clarke fire up on the ball last week reminded me that people like Bell and Gray will do better following the ball than on a flank. Still may not make the grade but sticking them at high half forward doesn’t really allow them to do their best.

neilfws
29th July 2020, 10:37 AM

14/15 models over at Squiggle too, for what that's worth. Not by big margins though.

St Kilda v Sydney @ Gabba (https://squiggle.com.au/game/?gid=5395)

mcs
29th July 2020, 01:38 PM
Certainly worth noting. Last week 3/14 tipped us. Let's show them!

Maybe this is the time they break the 'bogey team' badge with us - but we've had the wood over St Kilda, even when we've been going really poorly at times in recent seasons. A repeat effort of what we did in Q3/start Q4 last week and we can upset them.

They are an ever improving team, but for whatever reason we've always worried them in recent years. I fancy us to keep it close at worse, but depending on in/out (i.e. if rampe is there in particular) I don't rule us out of getting another upset.

Ludwig
29th July 2020, 03:27 PM
I was quite critical of the way St. Kilda overpaid for Brad Hill and traded their way out of 2 drafts, 2019 and 2020. 2019 looks like it will turn out to be a pretty good draft. But the rest of what the Saints did has worked out better than they could have imagined. I'm not surprised that Zak Jones is doing well, but how lucky, or astute, were they with Dan Butler. And Jack Steele has become a very serious AA contender in their midfield. And how about picking up Rowan Marshall and Callum Wilkie in rookie drafts. Except for Hanners, their injury list is one of the best in the league.

With Covid and probable list size reductions, it no big deal not being a player in this year's draft.

It's hard to get so many things right in such a short time that it propels you from a non-contender to premiership contender, but the Saints seem to have done it. It's a bit like the way we built out last premiership team, getting critical pieces from a lot of different sources and having a healthy list nearly every year. How things have changed.

Blood Fever
29th July 2020, 05:46 PM
I was quite critical of the way St. Kilda overpaid for Brad Hill and traded their way out of 2 drafts, 2019 and 2020. 2019 looks like it will turn out to be a pretty good draft. But the rest of what the Saints did has worked out better than they could have imagined. I'm not surprised that Zak Jones is doing well, but how lucky, or astute, were they with Dan Butler. And Jack Steele has become a very serious AA contender in their midfield. And how about picking up Rowan Marshall and Callum Wilkie in rookie drafts. Except for Hanners, their injury list is one of the best in the league.

With Covid and probable list size reductions, it no big deal not being a player in this year's draft.

It's hard to get so many things right in such a short time that it propels you from a non-contender to premiership contender, but the Saints seem to have done it. It's a bit like the way we built out last premiership team, getting critical pieces from a lot of different sources and having a healthy list nearly every year. How things have changed.

Premature hailing of the Saints as contenders. One really good win has happened before to them, for them to revert to type. Not convinced yet.

29th July 2020, 07:17 PM
Premature hailing of the Saints as contenders. One really good win has happened before to them, for them to revert to type. Not convinced yet.
They've done what they have this year with a very healthy list, not sure they have a lot of quality depth if they get hit with injuries, their form has also been patchy like every team so far.

Only got a first rounder this year then junk picks so last years trade period was risky. Let's wait and see eh?

i'm-uninformed2
29th July 2020, 07:25 PM
I’m deeply unconvinced by them. They’ll probably play finals this year as they’ve got a good head start and a fit list. And they’ll probably beat us on the weekend.

But I’m not convinced what they did last year in the trade and forthcoming drafts sets them up for long term success. They’ve got King and Marshall as class KPs. Gresham and O’Brien are class but not pure mids. After that: good, but not great midfielders.

But they’re a side lacking real elite talent bar King on potential and definitely not around the ball. And they’ve now got no capacity to get it for the next two to three years.

I reckon they drafted and traded to be finalists. But not sustained flag contenders.

Mountain Man
29th July 2020, 10:35 PM
Could someone remind me what pick(s) we got for Jones;
and
What we used that to get a player in the draft.

It might make for some added interest in watching the game on the weekend.

29th July 2020, 10:55 PM
Could someone remind me what pick(s) we got for Jones;
and
What we used that to get a player in the draft.

It might make for some added interest in watching the game on the weekend.

Stand to be corrected but thing we swapped Jones for Elijah Taylor

dejavoodoo44
29th July 2020, 11:38 PM
That's more or less how it panned out, but the original trade was more complicated. This is from the Swans site, at the time, "The Sydney Swans have secured draft picks 32, 76 and Fremantle’s 2020 Round 3 pick in exchange for defender Zak Jones, pick 56 and next year’s Round 4 pick".

Pick 32 did end up being Taylor at 36. We no longer have Fremantle's 2020 pick, because we used it in a pick swap with the Crows, which saw us move from 28 to 26, which we used on Gould.

dejavoodoo44
29th July 2020, 11:51 PM
And we didn't use pick 76, but it seems that we have Adelaide's fourth round 2020 pick.

Captain
30th July 2020, 11:38 AM

Given we are in a rebuild and Jones was unlikely to be in our next premiership side, that's not the worst trade.

Most frustrating is that StKilda is playing Jones as an inside midfielder where he is thriving. It's a shame that he never got that chance with us and was mainly used off half back or a wing.

Mountain Man
30th July 2020, 11:51 AM
So, I can hope that Gould is selected this week.

Then, during the weekend game, I compare Jones with E Taylor and Gould (with an age discount of course).

Might be interesting

Melbourne_Blood
30th July 2020, 12:14 PM
Given we are in a rebuild and Jones was unlikely to be in our next premiership side, that's not the worst trade.

Most frustrating is that StKilda is playing Jones as an inside midfielder where he is thriving. It's a shame that he never got that chance with us and was mainly used off half back or a wing.

Jones only turned 25 in March . When do you see us contending for a flag next ?

Captain
30th July 2020, 12:16 PM
Jones only turned 25 on March . When do you see us contending for a flag next ?

Didn't realise Jones was that young!

Reckon we are 4-5 years away from seriously contending though.

Markwebbos
30th July 2020, 03:56 PM

+1 although they may have known he was going all of last year

Markwebbos
30th July 2020, 07:29 PM
There I was getting excited about the team announcement, only to find it's happening at 6.20pm Friday

Melbourne_Blood
30th July 2020, 07:35 PM
There I was getting excited about the team announcement, only to find it's happening at 6.20pm Friday

Same. Wonder why they have made that change ?

Markwebbos
30th July 2020, 07:39 PM
I presume because of the insane rolling fixture.

TheBloods
30th July 2020, 07:39 PM

Condensed fixtures probably means the club need a bit more flexibility in selecting teams, so they've given them until the night before each match to announce their teams.

Rod_
30th July 2020, 07:54 PM

Agreed was looking and nothing... at least I know what I’m doing this time tomorrow

lwjoyner
31st July 2020, 09:45 AM
dont we announce the teams on a friday any more. have to wait for ch7 do we.

ugg
31st July 2020, 07:23 PM
In: Hayward
Out: Stephens (omitted)

Emg: Thurlow Stephens Warner Wicks

In: Battle
Out: Kent (illness)

Emg:Marsh Lonie Savage Bytel

Markwebbos
31st July 2020, 07:39 PM
Looking at the emergencies, there’s no obvious replacement for Rampe. I dont think Thurlow is one.. so they must be confident Dane is going to play

lwjoyner
31st July 2020, 07:57 PM
How Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray kept in and Stephens dropped. Beats me

dejavoodoo44
31st July 2020, 08:02 PM
Looking at the emergencies, there’s no obvious replacement for Rampe. I dont think Thurlow is one.. so they must be confident Dane is going to play
Yes, looks like he's in, but I won't truly believe it, until I see him running on to the Gabba.

Aaron
31st July 2020, 08:08 PM
Rampe plays "normal" in the Captain's run today as seen in the following video, except wearing a nice glove. Should be OK. Parker: It has been a whirlwind (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/785991/parker-it-has-been-a-whirlwind?videoId=785991&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1596162421001)

31st July 2020, 08:12 PM
Where are the Swans staying in Queensland?

Meg
31st July 2020, 08:25 PM
Yes, looks like he's in, but I won't truly believe it, until I see him running on to the Gabba.

He won’t run on to the Gabba, Superman flies.

Nico
31st July 2020, 08:31 PM
Stephens is dead set stiff to be dropped.

Captain
31st July 2020, 08:39 PM
Ridiculous to drop Stephens. Makes absolutely no sense at all.

How he is dropped ahead of Taylor and Gray is beyond me.

McInerney is also unlucky. Played well for a few games and then just ditched.

31st July 2020, 08:44 PM

How he is dropped ahead of Taylor and Gray is beyond me.

McInerney is also unlucky. Played well for a few games and then just ditched.

McInerney made some dreadful decisions under pressure that cost us. Needs better decision making and a bit more composure at senior level.

Odysseus
31st July 2020, 08:53 PM

I,too, am disappointed to see him omitted. Could it be a matter of managed workload for a young player? I certainly hope we see him back next game.

Melbourne_Blood
31st July 2020, 09:14 PM
I don’t agree Stephens is stiff. He had a decent debut, an ok follow up and a pretty poor third game. He’s a first year, I like that they get a taste and then when don’t contribute enough have to show something more in the second tier before getting another chance. It’s a good system. Not ideal with only scratch matches or ‘scrimmages’ but I think we are trying to pick our best team each week , and he isn’t in it this week. Gray could’ve been dropped for Hayward instead but I think they want a certain quota of senior bodies. Mcinerney was far more stiff earlier in the year.

Melbourne_Blood
31st July 2020, 09:22 PM
Could also be a lack of defensive effort . His stats in first 3 games .

V tigers - 11 disposals 4 tackles
V GC - 11 disposals 1 tackle
V Hawks - 9 disposals 0 tackles .

Ludwig
31st July 2020, 10:09 PM

Stephens is being rested. He was exhausted making all those videos recently.

Markwebbos
1st August 2020, 01:26 PM
Dane Rampe’s selective hearing gets a mention in the Hun

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/round-9-afl-teams-damien-hardwick-declares-trent-cotchin-and-sydney-stack-will-return-for-richmond-ahead-of-footy-frenzy/news-story/ac7eb30ee3e25a931f6f48114cac6101

Even if Dane Rampe’s surgeon told him he shouldn’t be playing five days after a hand operation, the Sydney Swans star has found the perfect alibi.

“He spoke to me but I was high as a kite, I can’t remember what he said,” says Rampe ... “All he said was he screwed it in pretty well and nothing is moving it. That’s all I needed to hear … well, that’s all I remembered anyway.”

Rampe’s selective hearing also came into play last week when he spoke to the Swans medical staff at halftime against the Hawks. “If it’s broken, it’s broken. It can’t get any worse,” Rampe told himself.

stellation
1st August 2020, 01:59 PM
I,too, am disappointed to see him omitted. Could it be a matter of managed workload for a young player? I certainly hope we see him back next game.

I wondered the same thing, I imagine this season there's be a fair bit more general player management going on.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought Taylor was more than handy against Hawthorn.

Hotpotato
1st August 2020, 01:59 PM

Gabba

Aaron
1st August 2020, 05:43 PM
Live in Sofitel Brisbane Central, 5 - 10 min drive from Gabba