PDA

View Full Version : Connolly, Roos asked for a 'please explain'

vagary
11th March 2003, 05:40 PM
Connolly, Roos asked for a 'please explain'
4:34:08 PM Tue 11 March, 2003
afl.com.au

Coaches Chris Connolly and Paul Roos have both been issued with a ?please explain? by the AFL after approaching umpires during Wizard Regional Challenge Series matches at the weekend.

An animated Fremantle coach Connolly was seen talking to umpires at half-time during the Dockers? practice match victory over Port Adelaide in a physical clash at Subiaco last Saturday night.

Connolly was worried about the physical well-being of his players and he approached Port Adelaide?s football manager - ex-Docker staffer Mick Moylan ? at half time before the umpires intervened.

AFL chief executive Wayne Jackson would not comment directly on the cases but said there was nothing more important than showing respect to umpires.

?I?m not aware of whether they did or didn?t vilify (the umpires),? Jackson said on Tuesday.? Suffice to say we have rules about approaching umpires at breaks, and we certainly are trying to encourage our players and every official to show respect to umpires. Some would say that wasn?t the case on the weekend.?

can anyone tell me what was the alleged incident which prompted this? the article talks about the dockers incident but nothing about the swans incident.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=78405

penga
11th March 2003, 06:47 PM
i saw that on the AFL website and i couldnt work out what roosy had to do with this... no mention of him at all, i cant see roosy doin that anyway, y would someone need to approach umps?

Cheer Cheer
11th March 2003, 09:45 PM
I just found out that roosy told the umpires to throw the ball up instead of bouncing it - thats why.

SWANSBEST
12th March 2003, 07:02 AM
SMH today - http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/11/1047144977876.html

Surprised Swans coach to contest chat charge
By Richard Hinds
March 12 2003

Sydney Swans coach Paul Roos will plead his innocence after being asked by the AFL to explain why he approached an umpire during Saturday's practice match against Melbourne at Canberra's Manuka Oval.

A complaint lodged by umpire Scott Jeffery says Roos approached the umpires at quarter-time. Club captains are the only team members authorised to speak with umpires during breaks in play.

But Roos said he was surprised by the charge. "The first I really heard of this was through a press release and I still haven't had anything official from the AFL," he said. "But I certainly didn't talk to any of the three officiating umpires."

Roos has until Friday to answer the charge.

Fremantle coach Chris Connolly is also the subject of an investigation after his heated exchange with the umpires during the Dockers' practice match against Port Adelaide.

Connolly later defended his actions, saying he had been seeking greater protection for his young players, whom he claimed had been targeted unfairly by aggressive opponents.

Meanwhile, former St Kilda and Swans full-forward Tony Lockett will be one of 10 people awarded AFL life membership this season.

Lockett, the AFL's greatest goal kicker, gained life membership during his aborted comeback last season, when he played his 300th match (including home-and-away and state of origin matches).

Seven others achieved automatic life membership - Marcus Ashcroft and Alastair Lynch (Brisbane), Matthew Knights (ex-Richmond), Tony Liberatore (ex-Bulldogs), Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams and umpires Hayden Kennedy and Gavin Dore. Hawthorn great Peter Hudson and former Richmond premiership player, coach and president Barry Richardson were also awarded the honour.

TheHood
12th March 2003, 08:08 AM
Tim Lane, one Saturday afternoon mid 2002: "why the men in white insist on balling up instead of bouncing it, is beyond me"

Tim Lane, later that same day: "there is no reason why the umpires are balling up, the ground is surely dry enough"

Dwayne Russell, reply's after the stoppage: "the ball up making Tim Lane throw up! and Cresswell roves the pack.........."

Not a lot to do with this thread but i did get a tickle out of Dwayne that day.