PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat The guernsey is changing

dimelb
6th November 2020, 01:54 PM
There is a move afoot to change the logo on the guernsey.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/afl/swans-to-launch-new-logo-but-not-because-of-opera-house-dispute-20201106-p56c4k.html

R-1
6th November 2020, 01:56 PM
"The club spokesperson also said there will be no change to the Swans' guernsey, which has had the 'feathers' design at its heart since 1987."

bloodspirit
6th November 2020, 03:48 PM
I like it. I like the more prominent swan and just saying "Sydney" instead of "Sydney Swans". I much prefer the swan itself - appropriately fierce looking. I like the prominent reference to 1874 (although see the history thread for whether this is the correct year for the club to be marking our inception - possibly should have been earlier). I appreciate the subtle homage to the formerly more prominent Opera House imagery. I'm not sure about the change in the red tone. Also, not sure about the font for the "SYDNEY" text. Overall, a thumbs up from me.

stevoswan
6th November 2020, 04:48 PM
Confirmed by the club......

A new chapter - YouTube (https://youtu.be/wpajfySMeb8)

Ludwig
6th November 2020, 05:03 PM
Well that explains why we finished 16th this year, which was also 2 years in the making. Maybe Tom Harley was a bit distracted with more important things. I don't care all that much about our logo, but 2 years in the making? You could have given that assignment to a school kid to do in 5 minutes.

MattW
6th November 2020, 05:14 PM
Well that explains why we finished 16th this year, which was also 2 years in the making. Maybe Tom Harley was a bit distracted with more important things. I don't care all that much about our logo, but 2 years in the making? You could have given that assignment to a school kid to do in 5 minutes.

Maybe there are other brand changes which will be unveiled.

But whatever. I like it.

MattW
6th November 2020, 05:18 PM
I just watched the YouTube clip - yes, apparently some other things announced on 19 November.

bloodspirit
6th November 2020, 05:19 PM
Confirmed by the club......

A new chapter - YouTube (https://youtu.be/wpajfySMeb8)

I wonder what the additional exciting things to come are? And perhaps they need to update the logo on the YouTube Channel now?

Thunder Shaker
6th November 2020, 05:56 PM
Swans website: A new chapter (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/834268/a-new-chapter)

neilfws
6th November 2020, 08:57 PM
Also, not sure about the font for the "SYDNEY" text

It's a bit "Crown Resorts" isn't it. Aside from that, I don't mind it.

Nico
6th November 2020, 09:53 PM

The Swan looks vaguely familiar from pre Sydney days. If so it wouldn't have been too hard to cut and paste.

dejavoodoo44
7th November 2020, 04:57 AM
Yes, I hope that whoever designed the logo, didn't get two years worth of wages.

Cosmic Wizard
7th November 2020, 07:22 AM
Yes, I hope that whoever designed the logo, didn't get two years worth of wages.

Is this because the opera house wants more money for use of its symbol?

Looks like the left overs from the butcher’s back room!

Markwebbos
7th November 2020, 10:10 AM
I just watched the YouTube clip - yes, apparently some other things announced on 19 November.

Tom Hickey. They are really building him up

dejavoodoo44
7th November 2020, 02:01 PM

Looks like the left overs from the butcher’s back room!

I don't mind the logo, I just hope Tom misspoke, when he suggested it was a project that took a couple of years.

barry
7th November 2020, 04:04 PM

Of course it is. Spun as a new innovative design.

stevoswan
7th November 2020, 06:04 PM
I don't mind the logo, I just hope Tom misspoke, when he suggested it was a project that took a couple of years.

He may have just said that to take it outside of the Opera House 'cash grab' timeline.....as I'm sure that actually has got something to do with the clubs desire for a new logo design. Although he did also say that our jumper design will not change....just the club logo.:hmmm

Mel_C
7th November 2020, 07:10 PM
I like the logo but I wish it said Sydney Swans instead of just Sydney.

Thunder Shaker
7th November 2020, 08:47 PM
They probably didn't, but they didn't design only one logo. They apparently designed several, some with slight tweaks of the others, and the club chose one.

You can see the variants here: A new chapter (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/834268/a-new-chapter), see the still image of the video.

Edit: I will not be updating my harbour-bridge (1995) scarf and flag with the current logo.

bloodspirit
8th November 2020, 05:17 PM
They probably didn't, but they didn't design only one logo. They apparently designed several, some with slight tweaks of the others, and the club chose one.

You can see the variants here: A new chapter (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/834268/a-new-chapter), see the still image of the video.

Edit: I will not be updating my harbour-bridge (1995) scarf and flag with the current logo.

If you look at their website it appears they may have had something to do with the Western Bulldogs logo/jumper too.

Ruck'n'Roll
17th December 2020, 02:43 PM
The club that was founded by a bunch of wowsers in 1874 used blue and white. It didn't go red and white until the last amalgamation in 1880.

The club that gave us our red and white colours had been playing games since 1867, and continued to after the amalgamation to the present day.

No amount of verbal sleight of hand changes those facts.

Including the 1874 date on a red and white logo is at best a contradiction.

If the Swans could pay a design team to spend 2 years to produce hundreds of near identical logos, why couldn't someone at the Swans show sufficient respect for our history to spend 5 minutes looking at the digitised newpapers in Trove?

Speaking of verbal sleight-of-hand "feathers" - pull the other one Tom, it plays jingle bells.

bloodspirit
17th December 2020, 03:55 PM
I suspect that the decision to use the 1874 date is a conscious one for unknown reasons rather than a complete oversight. Although it wouldn't surprise me if the reason is that at some stage when they were commemorating an anniversary (or perhaps when they omitted to commemorate 150 years after 1867) they made a mistake and now they feel committed (kind of embarrassing to have missed the club's 150th anniversary). Maybe they'll wait 15 years and then quietly change the date? Although now that they have gone all in by adding '1874' to our merchandise it may get set in stone.

Ruck'n'Roll
20th December 2020, 04:20 PM
Just between you me and the fencepost bloodspirit, I suspect the original reason for celebrating 1874 instead of 1867 may have something to do with Catholicism.

In the interests of brevity -

19th century Melbourne was settled by free (as distinct from convict) labour and was predominantly protestant, and therefore prone to teetotalism. The gold rush made it far wealthier, but also increased the size and make-up of it's population.
The Albert Park / South Melbourne area had a working class Irish immigrant taint, with a strong (but not universal) Catholic presence and had no issues with grog.

The 1867/Red-and-White club was founded in a pub and even elected a couple of office bearers with Irish surnames.

Despite, or perhaps because of this . . .

The 1874/Blue-and-White club was founded in a Temperance Hall - no alcohol whatsoever and no office bearers were elected with an Irish surname.

Ruck'n'Roll
20th December 2020, 04:25 PM
Maybe, just maybe rather than celebrating a Foundation date, we should celebrate a Unification date, ie 1880.

It's later than 1874, but at least it's unequivocally correct.

Big Red
20th December 2020, 05:40 PM
This is only my first post, but a unification date sounds nice.

stevoswan
21st December 2020, 01:03 AM
This is only my first post, but a unification date sounds nice.

.....but not your last! Welcome.:five:

bloodspirit
21st December 2020, 08:00 PM
Just between you me and the fencepost bloodspirit, I suspect the original reason for celebrating 1874 instead of 1867 may have something to do with Catholicism.

In the interests of brevity -

19th century Melbourne was settled by free (as distinct from convict) labour and was predominantly protestant, and therefore prone to teetotalism. The gold rush made it far wealthier, but also increased the size and make-up of it's population.
The Albert Park / South Melbourne area had a working class Irish immigrant taint, with a strong (but not universal) Catholic presence and had no issues with grog.

The 1867/Red-and-White club was founded in a pub and even elected a couple of office bearers with Irish surnames.

Despite, or perhaps because of this . . .

The 1874/Blue-and-White club was founded in a Temperance Hall - no alcohol whatsoever and no office bearers were elected with an Irish surname.

Fascinating - thanks for sharing. It's hard to imagine the prejudices that existed against Catholics back then given how things have changed to the present day. It's particularly intriguing to notice the Melbourne flavour, with the topicality of the higher concentration of free labour there at that time. Sharing our history with us is your real point of difference, R'n'R. Much appreciated.