PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat 2022 Captaincy - Leadership Group changes?

KSAS
14th January 2022, 09:22 AM
Will there be any changes made to our Captaincy and Leadership Group this year?

With 2022 likely to be Josh Kennedy's final year (sadly), i'm anticipating he'll relinquish his co-captaincy role but remain in the leadership group. My hunch is either Callum Mills or Jake Lloyd will take his spot, with Mills being my preference.

Whilst acknowledging the co-captaincy model has served us well, I personally think this is a good time to revert to the traditional single captaincy model for a period due to Luke Parker imo beng such a standout and in peak of his career, who lifts our team more than any other when needed. Mills would be my Vice Captain. I know this won't happen and most would prefer continuation of the co-captaincy model.

I'm also anticipating Isaac Heeney will be promoted into the Leadership Group. Not sure if he'll replace any of the existing 8 (Parker, Kennedy, Rampe, Franklin, Papley, Cunningham, Mills & Lloyd) or if he'll be just an addition.

NeonBible
14th January 2022, 10:33 AM
Interesting discussion. We should be finding out soon enough - clubs typically announce their leadership groups sporadically over the pre-season and the practice matches are just over a few months away.

Rampe and Kennedy might be in their final years. I think they will relinquish their co-captaincies, and Parker & Mills, our two standout players and leaders from the middle in 2021 will be our two captains. It has been written that Mills will captain this club, and what better time to do so than after a year leading our Brownlow votes!!

Papley will remain, as will Franklin. Cunningham also likely - it seems Harry has really blossomed into a fine leader!

Lloyd might've been a leader of circumstance. Post-2020 season .. we lacked senior players, we were in the COVID hub .. he stepped up when he needed to. He is not as needed now as the list is in a different place, and as a new father, may have other priorities.. he could give his position up.

Heeney i will guess will want to focus on his individual priorities .. getting fit, adapting to a new role in the mids.

A surprise may come in the form of a young gun being promoted.. young Errol Gulden has 'future captain' written all over him.. he already seems a born leader .. mature beyond his years and his teammates seem to respond so well to him .. Justin McInerney could also be recognised for this reason .. he is like Paps was a few years ago .. a crowd favourite who doesn't scream 'leader' in the traditional sense, but who his teammates love and are inspired by. I wouldn't under-estimate Ollie, either. He is frequently given media responsibilities, is coming into his prime now as an athlete, and finished top 10 in the best & fairest which shows how highly he is regarded!!

Definitely believe one of those 3 youngsters will be elevated .. we have an evolving list that is charging into the future and our leadership group will reflect that, with Joey and Dane sticking around to provide their invaluable wisdom!

CHEER CHEER

i'm-uninformed2
14th January 2022, 11:59 AM
I think there's a consensus Joey will likely step down - though if he doesn't, no skin of my nose. He comfortably sits among the greats of this club. But the transition to Mills seems natural. It's then a question of whether Ramps goes round again or not.

I'm not sure re Heeney. This is not a knock on him, but some blokes seem happier without that pressure, and he strikes me as that kind of guy. Wasn't he in the leadership group a few years back, then went out?

Someone above mentioned McInerney, and I reckon the comparison to someone like Paps is a great call.

As for Gulden, he'll be there one day but don't do that to a second year player. And Ollie should be more focused on being a must-have first 22 player. With our new depth, that's not a 100 percent given right now.

Aprilbr
14th January 2022, 03:57 PM
Interesting discussion. We should be finding out soon enough - clubs typically announce their leadership groups sporadically over the pre-season and the practice matches are just over a few months away.

Rampe and Kennedy might be in their final years. I think they will relinquish their co-captaincies, and Parker & Mills, our two standout players and leaders from the middle in 2021 will be our two captains. It has been written that Mills will captain this club, and what better time to do so than after a year leading our Brownlow votes!!

Papley will remain, as will Franklin. Cunningham also likely - it seems Harry has really blossomed into a fine leader!

Lloyd might've been a leader of circumstance. Post-2020 season .. we lacked senior players, we were in the COVID hub .. he stepped up when he needed to. He is not as needed now as the list is in a different place, and as a new father, may have other priorities.. he could give his position up.

Heeney i will guess will want to focus on his individual priorities .. getting fit, adapting to a new role in the mids.

A surprise may come in the form of a young gun being promoted.. young Errol Gulden has 'future captain' written all over him.. he already seems a born leader .. mature beyond his years and his teammates seem to respond so well to him .. Justin McInerney could also be recognised for this reason .. he is like Paps was a few years ago .. a crowd favourite who doesn't scream 'leader' in the traditional sense, but who his teammates love and are inspired by. I wouldn't under-estimate Ollie, either. He is frequently given media responsibilities, is coming into his prime now as an athlete, and finished top 10 in the best & fairest which shows how highly he is regarded!!

Definitely believe one of those 3 youngsters will be elevated .. we have an evolving list that is charging into the future and our leadership group will reflect that, with Joey and Dane sticking around to provide their invaluable wisdom!

CHEER CHEERIf we are thinking prospects for leadership amongst the younger brigade, I think Rowbottom is a real chance. He seems to exhibit those characteristics on the field and have a lot of respect amongst his peers. I would imagine that TheBloods, would bristle at the thought.

stevoswan
14th January 2022, 10:45 PM
If we are thinking prospects for leadership amongst the younger brigade, I think Rowbottom is a real chance. He seems to exhibit those characteristics on the field and have a lot of respect amongst his peers.

I was thinking the same thing. He's a senior 'young gun' now, is very confident with media (good communicator) and onfield he has a lot of ROK about him IMO. As long as his footy holds up, he would be a definite future candidate for the leadership group.

Auntie.Gerald
17th January 2022, 07:55 AM
when ever watching training or being closer down to the fence at a game Rampe and PArker seem to be the spiritual leaders

Mills not far behind.

Redsmith720
29th January 2022, 07:19 PM
Thats cool its a fact!!

i'm-uninformed2
2nd February 2022, 06:04 PM
It's now official that Mills is in, with JPK stepping back to be just a member of the leadership group - with Bud, Paps and Harry C the other three in there.

Mills has long been a captain in waiting so major kudos to him, and we should all bend the knee on a daily basis to be thankful to JPK for being one of the great Swans.

Mills joins Parker and Rampe as Sydney co-captains (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1054354/mills-joins-parker-and-rampe-as-sydney-co-captains)

dejavoodoo44
2nd February 2022, 07:04 PM
It's now official that Mills is in, with JPK stepping back to be just a member of the leadership group - with Bud, Paps and Harry C the other three in there.

Mills has long been a captain in waiting so major kudos to him, and we should all bend the knee on a daily basis to be thankful to JPK for being one of the great Swans.

Mills joins Parker and Rampe as Sydney co-captains (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1054354/mills-joins-parker-and-rampe-as-sydney-co-captains)
Sort of sad that Kennedy is stepping down, but Mills should be an excellent replacement.
I wonder which of the co-captains, will get to be captain on grand final day?

bloodspirit
2nd February 2022, 07:53 PM
Sort of sad that Kennedy is stepping down, but Mills should be an excellent replacement.

My sentiments too.

stevoswan
2nd February 2022, 10:33 PM
He's a beast.....and all class.

Mic'ed Up: Josh Kennedy to step down as captain - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWU62o4iRsQ&ab_channel=SydneySwans)

Goal Sneak
2nd February 2022, 10:42 PM
He's a beast.

Mic'ed Up: Josh Kennedy to step down as captain - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWU62o4iRsQ&ab_channel=SydneySwans)

it's illegal to walk around wielding guns like that

Bangalore Swans
2nd February 2022, 10:59 PM
I’m not across leadership matters at the club so would appreciate the insight into this question:

Why isn’t Heeney in the leadership group and why doesn’t the club see him as captaincy material?

He seems like a guy who would inspire you with brilliance or a big physical hit. He looks like he would be first in if a physical fight ensued. He’s the clubs most talented player apart from Franklin.

The club flog his image (along with Franklin) for all it’s worth.

Does anyone who knows Heeney know his feelings on leadership? Does he want leadership?

They have Papley in the leadership group who gave away three umpire abuse free kicks last year. It’s not leadership in my opinion when you put the ball in the opposition’s hands three times through petulant behaviour.

Where is Heeney?

Aprilbr
2nd February 2022, 11:18 PM
I’m not across leadership matters at the club so would appreciate the insight into this question:

Why isn’t Heeney in the leadership group and why doesn’t the club see him as captaincy material?

He seems like a guy who would inspire you with brilliance or a big physical hit. He looks like he would be first in if a physical fight ensued. He’s the clubs most talented player apart from Franklin.

Does anyone who knows Heeney know his feelings on leadership? Does he want leadership?

They have Papley in the leadership group who gave away three umpire abuse free kicks last year. It’s not leadership in my opinion when you put the ball in the opposition’s hands three times through petulant behaviour.

Where is Heeney?Great Captains are often not the best player in the team. However, they make up for this by displayng attributes that others look up to and are able to set standards on and off the field. Garry Ablett Snr was one of the most naturally gifted players to ever play AFL but he never captained Geelong. Plugger never captained St Kilda or us. Dusty is not Richmond Captain. I could go on ...

Mills clearly has great leadership attributes and the respect of his team mates. He is also a might fine player!

goswannies
3rd February 2022, 12:50 AM

Where is Heeney?
Papley wasn’t even in our top 5 for frees against last season and Buddy, Parker and Rampe were all above him.

i'm-uninformed2
3rd February 2022, 08:04 AM

Where is Heeney?

I said earlier, and this is no more than a hunch and a theory, that he mightn’t want it.

Heeney is a pretty cheery, happy-go-lucky personality. A couple of years ago he had a season in the leadership group, then went out. Maybe it’s simply not something he aspires to.

You can still offer leadership in all sorts of ways - from the training track to on field excellence - without wanting it to be a formalised obligation.

Whereas Mills has appeared attuned to it from the moment he walked in the club. Apparently, in his first year, he was organising and marshalling the defence and has a supreme footy IQ.

dejavoodoo44
3rd February 2022, 09:13 AM
I said earlier, and this is no more than a hunch and a theory, that he mightn’t want it.

Heeney is a pretty cheery, happy-go-lucky personality. A couple of years ago he had a season in the leadership group, then went out. Maybe it’s simply not something he aspires to.

You can still offer leadership in all sorts of ways - from the training track to on field excellence - without wanting it to be a formalised obligation.

Whereas Mills has appeared attuned to it from the moment he walked in the club. Apparently, in his first year, he was organising and marshalling the defence and has a supreme footy IQ.

Also, I'm reasonably sure that our leadership positions are elected positions. That tends to leave two possibilities. One; he stood for election, but didn't get enough votes. Or two; he didn't stand for election. So, while I suppose coaches and staff could hint who they want, who gets to be in the leadership group, is a matter for the players.

bloodspirit
3rd February 2022, 10:06 AM
it's illegal to walk around wielding guns like that

I have to say he looked the most massive I've ever seen him. I remember him being interviewed on that Ch7 Sunday morning footy show one time a couple of years ago and he was asked - "is it true that you don't do any weight training?" - and he replied to the effect that it was true he didn't do weights for his upper body/arms. Seeing him in that video, that is really hard to believe. I'm not aware of him having a side hustle woodchopping or working as a removalist. And, even now, hoiking Emilio around wouldn't account for it. Let alone running and kicking a ball.

bloodspirit
3rd February 2022, 10:11 AM
Also, I'm reasonably sure that our leadership positions are elected positions. That tends to leave two possibilities. One; he stood for election, but didn't get enough votes. Or two; he didn't stand for election. So, while I suppose coaches and staff could hint who they want, who gets to be in the leadership group, is a matter for the players.

My understanding (based on I don't remember what) is slightly different. First, although players vote for their leaders, I didn't think you had to nominate yourself for consideration. Second, I'm not sure if the club has a power of veto. Well, clearly they would, even if they don't exercise it but I don't know how much it commits to staying out of the process. If I (or anyone else) get(s) the chance to ask the players, let's try and find out.

COB
3rd February 2022, 10:53 AM
My best guess re Heeney not been part of the leadership.group is that he may not "drive the standards" as well as the others or perhaps doesn't go the extra mile to help a young player or support an injured one. Pure guesswork though.

dejavoodoo44
3rd February 2022, 01:54 PM
My understanding (based on I don't remember what) is slightly different. First, although players vote for their leaders, I didn't think you had to nominate yourself for consideration. Second, I'm not sure if the club has a power of veto. Well, clearly they would, even if they don't exercise it but I don't know how much it commits to staying out of the process. If I (or anyone else) get(s) the chance to ask the players, let's try and find out.
I suppose you could have an election where everyone on the list could receive votes, but I just assumed that the players who were interested would nominate themselves. Otherwise, you could end up with someone being elected, who wasn't all that interested in being a leader. But of course, I shouldn't just assume.

bloodspirit
10th February 2022, 09:28 AM
I suppose you could have an election where everyone on the list could receive votes, but I just assumed that the players who were interested would nominate themselves. Otherwise, you could end up with someone being elected, who wasn't all that interested in being a leader. But of course, I shouldn't just assume.

I found out a bit more about how it works: players don't nominate. All players vote 6-5-4-3-2-1. I think the players stand up and read out their votes to the group i.e. it's not a secret ballot. The votes are tallied to determine the winner. The club does not intervene at all.

I imagine, but I don't know, that JPK might have withdrawn himself from candidacy to be captain after the vote. Similarly, I imagine that anyone who got elected and who wasn't keen would say so after the votes were in and could decline a leadership role that they didn't want.

liz
10th February 2022, 10:24 AM
I found out a bit more about how it works: players don't nominate. All players vote 6-5-4-3-2-1. I think the players stand up and read out their votes to the group i.e. it's not a secret ballot. The votes are tallied to determine the winner. The club does not intervene at all.

I imagine, but I don't know, that JPK might have withdrawn himself from candidacy to be captain after the vote. Similarly, I imagine that anyone who got elected and who wasn't keen would say so after the votes were in and could decline a leadership role that they didn't want.

Do the players actually vote for the captain(s) specifically, or just the leadership group? My understanding was that they voted for the leadership group but that the captains were appointed by the coaching panel.

dejavoodoo44
10th February 2022, 10:43 AM

Ta. Not sure how I feel about players reading out their votes; as opposed to a secret ballot. Though I suppose that it stops some spoilt rotten narcissist, claiming that they won an election that they undoubtedly lost. Although, we probably don't have any of those in our team, as I assume that they're weeded out in the recruitment process.

bloodspirit
10th February 2022, 10:46 AM
Do the players actually vote for the captain(s) specifically, or just the leadership group? My understanding was that they voted for the leadership group but that the captains were appointed by the coaching panel.

Not sure. That's all I found out. Sorry.

It makes sense that the club has its input by deciding how many captains/vice-captains etc and how many in the leadership group. I can't imagine that is entirely the players' doing.

Meg
10th February 2022, 11:06 AM
The wording of this Swans announcement of the change this year - Kennedy stepping down, Mills coming in - strongly suggests the captains are appointed by the club rather than elected by players.

i'm-uninformed2
10th February 2022, 11:26 AM

My understanding is this is definitely correct.

Goal Sneak
10th February 2022, 12:27 PM

I noticed in JPK's speech when he stood down that he never mentioned Cal as the person who was stepping up, like it was not his place to announce it.

TheBloods
10th February 2022, 01:17 PM
Mills will be best captain we 've had since PK , no disrespect to all others . There are captains and then there are captains ! Gulden after him if he learns

Bangalore Swans
10th February 2022, 03:53 PM
As a keen follower of Cricket, it appears in Cricket that the players appoint the Coach and Coaching staff.

Are the Swans leadership group consulted on any changes to the coaching staff or is the coaching staff the total domain of Longmire and Gardener?

stevoswan
11th February 2022, 05:27 PM
As a keen follower of Cricket, it appears in Cricket that the players appoint the Coach and Coaching staff.

Are the Swans leadership group consulted on any changes to the coaching staff or is the coaching staff the total domain of Longmire and Gardener?

No, in cricket it appears the players get rid of coaches......rather than appoint them.:rolleyes:

In footy, I would think that rightly, the players have no input into the coaching positions/selections.

liz
11th February 2022, 05:38 PM
No, in cricket it appears the players get rid of coaches......rather than appoint them.:rolleyes:

In footy, I would think that rightly, the players have no input into the coaching positions/selections.

You forgotten the "Choose Roos" movement of 2002?

sharp9
12th February 2022, 10:04 PM

In footy, I would think that rightly, the players have no input into the coaching positions/selections.Except for that time the Swans players appointed Roosey

KSAS
20th March 2022, 10:15 AM
Whilst acknowledging the co-captaincy model has served us well, I personally think this is a good time to revert to the traditional single captaincy model for a period due to Luke Parker imo beng such a standout and in peak of his career, who lifts our team more than any other when needed.

Luke Parker's inspiring performance yesterday reinforces my opinion of him being our stand alone captain.

liz
20th March 2022, 10:26 AM
Luke Parker's inspiring performance yesterday reinforces my opinion of him being our stand alone captain.

He produced that performance while being part of the current three-headed arrangement. Why does that performance suggest the club needs to change anything?

KSAS
20th March 2022, 11:18 AM
He produced that performance while being part of the current three-headed arrangement. Why does that performance suggest the club needs to change anything?
Sorry, my intention wasn't to suggest the club should change captaincy model now after just one round, but rather highlighting the view I had pre-season on single captaincy (before the captaincy changes was announced), which Luke's performance yesterday reinforced why I was thinking that.

Happy with the co-captaincy model which has served us well as I'd mentioned. Luke may well be most comfortable not being stand alone captain but he is imo the most inspirational of the co-captains. This is based on games I've seen him play in recent seasons and not just yesterday.