Max Geddes
Adam Gulden
Harry Maguire
Harry Morrison
Aidan Watling​

NEW
Kye Pfrengle (Academy/St George AFC)​

ALSO of interest to us draft watchers
FORMER Sawtell/Toormina Saints player Angus Anderson has been offered the chance to play with the Sydney Swans feeder clubs in 2022, after not being selected in this year’s AFL Draft.
The Swans have made him an offer to play in the club’s NAB League (under 18s) and VFL teams in 2022, as well as training twice a week with the club’s AFL listed players.

(Anderson) "Following the draft I’ve received a couple of offers to move to Melbourne to play NAB League and VFL but chose to remain with the Sydney Swans development program as it’s the best fit for me right now.”

His time with the Swans will be managed by the senior club, rather than the Swans Academy, and rubbing shoulders with the elite players on a daily basis will help build not only his footy skills, but also his leadership capabilities.

TheBloods
9th February 2022, 07:45 PM
I stuck by him but believe Bell will be in the VFL a lot . The other one too . One of Amartey and Mclean , or both will be main fwd .I want Campbell to be in the VFL all year , focus on his midfield craft , get him ready for next yr full time midfield . We will see how this Anderson goes , stacked midfield we will have at least , better than last year with spuds like Gray !

dejavoodoo44
9th February 2022, 08:27 PM
Players listed for this season

RE-SIGNED
Jake Bartholomaeus
Nicholas Brewer
William Collis
Darcy Cordell
Max Geddes
Adam Gulden
Harry Maguire
Harry Morrison
Aidan Watling​

NEW
Kye Pfrengle (Academy/St George AFC)​

ALSO of interest to us draft watchers
FORMER Sawtell/Toormina Saints player Angus Anderson has been offered the chance to play with the Sydney Swans feeder clubs in 2022, after not being selected in this year’s AFL Draft.
The Swans have made him an offer to play in the club’s NAB League (under 18s) and VFL teams in 2022, as well as training twice a week with the club’s AFL listed players.

(Anderson) "Following the draft I’ve received a couple of offers to move to Melbourne to play NAB League and VFL but chose to remain with the Sydney Swans development program as it’s the best fit for me right now.”

His time with the Swans will be managed by the senior club, rather than the Swans Academy, and rubbing shoulders with the elite players on a daily basis will help build not only his footy skills, but also his leadership capabilities.

Assuming the list from the Swans site is correct, then there's a couple of surprises for me. Chief of them is the retention of Collis. While it's possible that he was playing injured, when I saw him, he looked slow for a small forward and usually butchered the ball. His form supported the theory, that he was only signed because he was a good friend of Papley, and Tom needed a bit more incentive to stay in Sydney.

Some of the others that have been retained, were pretty anonymous last season and others were okay, but didn't really show enough, to make me think that they would improve enough to become a regular at AFL level.

On a more positive note, I'm pleased that Adam Gulden is going again. He showed some good form in patches and is apparently an excellent, highly intelligent leader. Also pleased that Brewer has been retained, as I thought that he put in a few bursts of quality game time, from limited opportunities.

Good that Pfrengle made it as well, after he was injured for most of his final academy season. He has a bit of class about him, both in defence and up forward. It wouldn't surprise me, if he performs well enough to earn an upgraded future contract.

sharp9
12th February 2022, 10:08 PM
Is that Harry Morrison a Hawthorn ex-player?

COB
12th February 2022, 10:39 PM
No. Ex NEAFL player from Sydney Uni and had a year at Sturt. Was part of our VFL program last year.

royboy42
13th February 2022, 04:27 PM
I stuck by him but believe Bell will be in the VFL a lot . The other one too . One of Amartey and Mclean , or both will be main fwd .I want Campbell to be in the VFL all year , focus on his midfield craft , get him ready for next yr full time midfield . We will see how this Anderson goes , stacked midfield we will have at least , better than last year with spuds like Gray !

There are always other options than black or white. I suspect Campbell will play more games at top level than in the twos.

His skill set is already approaching excellent.

Required fine tuning can be sorted at top level, where he will assist in winning games.

Because Dawson was nurtured in the twos does not mean all aspiring champs must follow the same path.

I see Campbell as much further advanced than Dawson at the same stage.

Roadrunner
14th February 2022, 09:47 AM
There are always other options than black or white. I suspect Campbell will play more games at top level than in the twos.

His skill set is already approaching excellent.

Required fine tuning can be sorted at top level, where he will assist in winning games.

Because Dawson was nurtured in the twos does not mean all aspiring champs must follow the same path.

I see Campbell as much further advanced than Dawson at the same stage.

Agreed Royboy. Campbell is too good to be playing many games at VFL level, not that there’s anything wrong with that for a young player. We just need to find his best position: is it midfield or a flank? I would prefer him on the ball and see what he could do with those lovely kicks.

dejavoodoo44
25th February 2022, 09:07 AM
When looking through the VFL list yesterday, trying to match a couple of unrecognised players from the jersey presentation photos, I noticed that former Giants player, Nick Shipley, is now part of our VFL team. He might be an okay addition at that level, as he did make the NEAFL team of the year in 2019. Though I'm not sure if he's likely to progress higher? And looking for further information on him, I realised that I had seen him in a training gallery photo, a few weeks ago, but I thought that he was an academy product that I didn't recognise, and who had a bit of work to do on his fitness.

Also, I recently checked the SANFL site, to see if any of our academy players have ventured to South Australia. Three have. Sam Thorne and Reed van Huisstede have both signed for North Adelaide. Both played a bit of VFL for us last season and it wouldn't surprise me, if both did well enough to progress to a higher level. While Marco Rossman has signed for Glenelg. I don't know much about him, but I think he was discussed as an outside chance of earning a rookie spot for us?

Aprilbr
25th February 2022, 11:52 AM
All of those recent young draftees for us look like spending most of the year developing their games in the Twos. Experience will come from players like Clark, Lewis Taylor and Sinclair who are unlikely to get many senior games. It will probably be the final season at the Swans for those guys. Taylor has been a major disappointment since crossing from Brisbane. Let's hope he at least provides leadership for that young group. Sinclair has given it everything although he was never quite up to being a topline AFL ruckman.

rickmat
6th March 2022, 04:17 PM
Anyone have news on our VFL hitout this morning at Blacktown?

Old Puppy
7th March 2022, 03:07 PM
Heard got towelled up by GWS to tune 40plus.

Ralph Dawg
7th March 2022, 04:32 PM
Heard got towelled up by GWS to tune 40plus.
If that's true, very disappointing. On paper, I wouldve thought our VFL team word be tough to beat.

Auntie.Gerald
8th March 2022, 06:58 AM
GWS do have a very exciting list though........we had 5 or 6 players out injured or rested i believe

When i reviewed their list it is minimum equal in depth if not stronger and their best 22 is better in my opinion

If Bud and Kennedy were in the best days earlier in their career we would negate their best 22

mcs
8th March 2022, 10:49 AM
GWS do have a very exciting list though........we had 5 or 6 players out injured or rested i believe

When i reviewed their list it is minimum equal in depth if not stronger and their best 22 is better in my opinion

If Bud and Kennedy were in the best days earlier in their career we would negate their best 22

GWS retain a level of depth on their list that most other teams could only dream of. Whereas Gold Coast fritted away a lot of their early concessions and didn't successfully find a way to offset the go home factor, GWS pretty quickly embraced the fact they would face a significant ongoing list turnover - and so have been happy to let high picks go at times, as long as they get a good bounty back. Combined with some pretty decent overall list management decisions as well, it means they are still in essence living off the legacy of the swathe of original 1st round draft picks - the constant recycling means they are like the multi headed hydra - cut off a few heads and a few more just reappear.

Hence, in particular in midfield they've got fantastic depth built up, and a lot of very very good players playing reserves. Its not at the high level it once was of was it approaching ~25 I think first round draft picks on the list, but it still mightily impressive, and unless they get it wrong in drafting/trading for 2 or 3 successive years, they are likely to be able to maintain a level of depth most clubs could only dream of.

I'm not sure they've always had quite the balance right across the whole list in terms of where they've invested that capital (If they did - they really should have got much closer more often to winning the flag then they have), but they've been pretty good at maintaining that overall capital value year on year in their list, despite substantial ongoing turnover in players.

MattW
8th March 2022, 07:17 PM
Credit to the Swans' media team, which cornered Laidler for an interview which covered the weekend's trial game.

Positive report on Sheldrick's game. Ladhams might need to show more.

Pre-season VFL Update with Jeremy Laidler Pre-season VFL Update with Jeremy Laidler (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1074865).

rickmat
8th March 2022, 09:16 PM
Not sold on Laidlaw as coach of our VFL team. His summary was very basic and only mentioned a few players. This was his opportunity to give more of an insight into our next level talent as well as the VFL squad boys. Wish we still had Ryce Shaw as he had a real talent of getting the next gen players up. Give us more please of an insight.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant Laidler, my apologies

rb4x
9th March 2022, 09:50 AM
Not sold on Laidlaw as coach of our VFL team. His summary was very basic and only mentioned a few players. This was his opportunity to give more of an insight into our next level talent as well as the VFL squad boys. Wish we still had Ryce Shaw as he had a real talent of getting the next gen players up. Give us more please of an insight.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant Laidler, my apologies

Could not agree more. Laidler has failed to develop the reserves and appears to be retained as just one of the boys to have around. Probably on fairly low dollars as a coach with Horse, Pyke and Cox taking up the lions share of the cap. His insights are just platitudes that really say nothing and do not offend anybody. e.g. The comments on Corey Warner, was he just a spectator on the wing watching everyone else run up and back. Was not happy with the VFL team last year and disappointed so far this year. Would have been nice to have got a score, best players and some basic stats from the game even though it was just a practice hit out.

Aprilbr
9th March 2022, 10:34 AM
Could not agree more. Laidler has failed to develop the reserves and appears to be retained as just one of the boys to have around. Probably on fairly low dollars as a coach with Horse, Pyke and Cox taking up the lions share of the cap. His insights are just platitudes that really say nothing and do not offend anybody. e.g. The comments on Corey Warner, was he just a spectator on the wing watching everyone else run up and back. Was not happy with the VFL team last year and disappointed so far this year. Would have been nice to have got a score, best players and some basic stats from the game even though it was just a practice hit out.I have my doubts too about Laidler but we have to give him a chance to have a proper full season with the VFL team to see how he goes with player development. The past two VFL seasons have been destroyed by Covid.

bloodspirit
9th March 2022, 11:06 AM
I don't think we would have persevered with Laidler this long if he weren't better than we are giving him credit for. Remember over the past two years a lot of coaches have lost their jobs and there is a lot of talent sitting on the pine craving opportunity. If we wanted to replace him there are plenty of others who we could get, even on relatively low $$ e.g. Lloyd Perris would have been an option who we chose to cut loose. Ditto Maxfield. And across the AFL there are countless others, including former senior AFL coaches (although, true, they might not be tempted by a lowly coaching role on lowly $$ - but you get the point).

9th March 2022, 11:09 AM
I have my doubts too about Laidler but we have to give him a chance to have a proper full season with the VFL team to see how he goes with player development. The past two VFL seasons have been destroyed by Covid.

Fully agree. I would be surprised if any VFL / NEAFL coach would be pleased with the outcomes of the last 2 years

bloodspirit
9th March 2022, 12:28 PM
Another thought about Laidler: definitely Covid and the lack of games has impacted on player development. Senior players have been developed more through training, which is done with all the coaches in the main group, rather than through playing VFL. This leads me to think that Laidler's role may also have a heavy focus on the VFL players, and also on VFL match days and planning rather than player development so much, which is what we are trying to judge him on. Really player development is not Laidler's primary role: that is more for all the assistant coaches and also Kirk, who more focuses on player welfare. Of course Laidler plays a role too but I don't think we can hold him primarily responsible - that would be giving him more responsibility and importance than I think he carries.

In any event, the Swans are among the best in the business at player development and we are recognised for this. While we do pretty well with trading and drafting, it's our development of players that really helps us keep up with and surpass the teams who have higher draft picks and more money/lower cost of living etc. Whether it is trade-ins (from JPK to Hickey), with the rookie list (Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham, Papley, McLean, Fox, Sheather etc), or with later draft picks (Parker, Hanners, AJ, Dawson, Warner, McInerney etc) we have done fantastically. I don't give all the credit for this to Laidler (not at all!) - but conversely I don't sheet all the blame home to Laidler for the players that don't develop or fulfil our hopes (Gray, Taylor, Clarke, Brand, Thurlow, Knoll etc).

ugg
18th March 2022, 03:25 PM
Round 2-8 has now been released

AFL Fixtures and Results - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/fixture?Competition=7&CompSeason=47&MatchTimezone=MY_TIME&Regions=2&ShowBettingOdds=1&GameWeeks=2&Teams=88&Venues=100)

R2 - Sydney v Gold Coast @ Blacktown Fri Apr 1 7:05PM
R3 - Port Melbourne v Sydney @ ETU Stadium Sat Apr 9 1:05PM
R4 - Sydney v Northern Bullants @ Blacktown Sun Apr 17 1:05PM
R5 - Bye
R6 - Sydney v Brisbane @ SCG Sun May 1 1:05PM (curtain raiser)
R7 - Werribee v Sydney @ Avalon Airport Oval Sat May 7 1:05PM
R8 - bye

dejavoodoo44
18th March 2022, 04:29 PM
IIRC, a while back Sydney was divided into Swans territory and Giants territory. Roughly, the areas east of Homebush was designated Swans and west of Homebush was Giants. So why do we persist in playing games at Blacktown?

bloodspirit
21st March 2022, 08:01 PM
IIRC, a while back Sydney was divided into Swans territory and Giants territory. Roughly, the areas east of Homebush was designated Swans and west of Homebush was Giants. So why do we persist in playing games at Blacktown?

I think it's because none of the other venues are considered good enough for one reason or another, whether in relation to the surface or in relation to the camera angles available. But I could be wrong and maybe someone who actually knows can enlighten us.

Mr Magoo
22nd March 2022, 09:02 AM
I think it's because none of the other venues are considered good enough for one reason or another, whether in relation to the surface or in relation to the camera angles available. But I could be wrong and maybe someone who actually knows can enlighten us.

Blacktown is a very good surface and is used quite sparingly. There really isnt many grounds that are suitable in the east in my opinion - tramway doesnt really have the facilities to host a visiting team very well , henson park is quite small with archaic facilities and gore hill is an artificial pitch but is quite heavily used by both north shore and the wide community. What grounds other than the SCG would you suggest could be used ?

bloodspirit
22nd March 2022, 08:56 PM
Blacktown is a very good surface and is used quite sparingly. There really isnt many grounds that are suitable in the east in my opinion - tramway doesnt really have the facilities to host a visiting team very well , henson park is quite small with archaic facilities and gore hill is an artificial pitch but is quite heavily used by both north shore and the wide community. What grounds other than the SCG would you suggest could be used ?

I don't think there is another ground as good as BISP in terms of surface, facilities, seating etc. However, I personally prefer watching games at Henson and I used to like it when they scheduled them at Drummoyne - mostly because of the convenience (relative to Blacktown) and also because they have a nice suburban feel (and Drummoyne is very pretty right by the Bay). I think the plan is to upgrade Henson and use it more often, but maybe for AFLW rather than AFLM.

Jupiter
22nd March 2022, 09:21 PM
Could not agree more. Laidler has failed to develop the reserves and appears to be retained as just one of the boys to have around. Probably on fairly low dollars as a coach with Horse, Pyke and Cox taking up the lions share of the cap. His insights are just platitudes that really say nothing and do not offend anybody. e.g. The comments on Corey Warner, was he just a spectator on the wing watching everyone else run up and back. Was not happy with the VFL team last year and disappointed so far this year. Would have been nice to have got a score, best players and some basic stats from the game even though it was just a practice hit out.

Consistent with the usual lack of publicity I'm not sure many would of picked up that Tom Morrison, ex Sydney Uni NEAFL coach (quite successful there as a coach and I understand it well respected - Lloyd Perris, now at GWS AFLW earnt his coaching stripes under him there too) has joined as some sort of VFL assistant - I heard through player related sources - apparently making a great impact.

bloodspirit
22nd March 2022, 09:29 PM
Consistent with the usual lack of publicity I'm not sure many would of picked up that Tom Morrison, ex Sydney Uni NEAFL coach (quite successful there as a coach and I understand it well respected - Lloyd Perris, now at GWS AFLW earnt his coaching stripes under him there too) has joined as some sort of VFL assistant - I heard through player related sources - apparently making a great impact.

Great heads up! Thanks for that Jupiter.

ugg
25th March 2022, 09:22 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Team for <a href="https://twitter.com/VFL?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@VFL</a> Round 1 against <a href="https://twitter.com/FootscrayVFL?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@FootscrayVFL</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/VFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#VFL</a> <br><br>B: Fox Gould Cordell<br>HB: Clarke Melican O&#39;Riordan<br>C: Co.Warner Ronke Bell<br>HF: Sheather Amartey Roberts<br>F: McAndrew Sinclair Rankin<br>Foll: Ladhams Taylor A.Gulden (c)<br><br>Int: Collis Shipley Bartholomaeus Morrison Geddes</p>&mdash; Swans Reserves (@swansreserves) <a href="https://twitter.com/swansreserves/status/1507118588767137793?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 24, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AB Swannie
25th March 2022, 09:57 AM
Reid and Sheldrick not named in this side suggests one of them will be the medi sub.

rb4x
25th March 2022, 10:18 AM
No O'Connor. Injured or omitted? If available not looking to good for his AFL future.

liz
25th March 2022, 10:32 AM
Reid and Sheldrick not named in this side suggests one of them will be the medi sub.

And the other the emergency.

ugg
25th March 2022, 10:48 AM
No O'Connor. Injured or omitted? If available not looking to good for his AFL future.
I don't think there's any restrictions for listed players, especially against a fellow AFL side. He's most likely injured.

Aaron
25th March 2022, 10:57 AM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/725510/vfl-enters-a-new-era-of-live-streaming
(https://www.afl.com.au/news/725510/vfl-enters-a-new-era-of-live-streaming) All VFL games this season will be streamed live from the AFL site. So we can watch our reserve players play this afternoon via afl.com.au/stream-vfl (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/afl.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7cd32ad25c565a577b74060a9&id=518b7e9383&e=a06e38d49b__;!!MoAtgck!M-Ppmootu0bEQ8STafylvyYrz2zUEX_1_k2NfVc5umIaQbNpYrN9 lwRj4Wlcma3_Uw$)

rickmat
25th March 2022, 11:13 AM
Where is young Anderson from the North Coast?

Aaron
25th March 2022, 04:38 PM
Game has started streaming now.

Aaron
25th March 2022, 04:41 PM
Amartey had the first goal.

dejavoodoo44
25th March 2022, 04:42 PM
Commentator just claimed that there was no wind. Don't know why all the trees are moving, then?

Foreign Legion
25th March 2022, 05:06 PM
I am at the ground very mild wind but it may pick up. I have to admit I don't know who number 40 is but he looks good.

Gould doing well

Aaron
25th March 2022, 05:10 PM
#40 could be Corey Warner ( whose official number is #37). Peter Ladhams is wearing #23 instead of 19. BTW McAndrew (#46) rucked more than him.
Q1 Dogs:o.3 Swans: 2:4 Both goals by Amartey

dejavoodoo44
25th March 2022, 05:11 PM
In front 16-3 at quarter time, but I suspect that we had the wind advantage. Our defence looked pretty good, with Gould and Melican strong in the air. Taylor seems to be playing as a small defender and has got plenty of the ball, along with Fox. Clarke, Warner and Shipley have been busy. Up forward, Amartey has kicked the only two goals of the match.
He's opposed to Schache and winning that battle. Frees 7-2 Bulldogs.

ugg
25th March 2022, 05:12 PM
I think it's Corey Warner?

Mark26
25th March 2022, 05:12 PM
We're getting caught holding the ball. COR was the latest offender.

Mark26
25th March 2022, 05:13 PM
I am at the ground very mild wind but it may pick up. I have to admit I don't know who number 40 is but he looks good.

Gould doing well

Enjoy the sun. It won't stop raining here!

Foreign Legion
25th March 2022, 05:18 PM
Believe me there is hardly any wind at ground level.

40 does look like Corey Warner

longmile
25th March 2022, 05:19 PM
C.Warner, Taylor and Amartey looking good.

Bell's disposal is poor

Mark26
25th March 2022, 05:20 PM
I like what Sheather brings. Great chase and tackle.

Foreign Legion
25th March 2022, 05:20 PM
Good snap by Sinclair

Foreign Legion
25th March 2022, 05:39 PM
The Dogs seem to have no trouble getting free kicks

Ludwig
25th March 2022, 05:45 PM
The Swans' kicking has been awful. It seems a turnover with nearly every kick of the ball. No teamwork. We need another VFL coach.

aardvark
25th March 2022, 05:50 PM
Ladhams would have to improve significantly before he gets a senior game.

dejavoodoo44
25th March 2022, 05:51 PM
The Dogs seem to have no trouble getting free kicks
14-6 at half time. Grrr!

Foreign Legion
25th March 2022, 05:52 PM
He did get crunched in a contest but doesn't read the play well. Good skills for a big bloke when he does get it.

dejavoodoo44
25th March 2022, 05:58 PM
I liked Roberts in that quarter. Warner has had a pretty good game. Gould has had some effective spoils and looks to have added a few metres, to his already long kicks. Amartey has looked our most likely forward.

- - - Updated - - -

The Swans' kicking has been awful. It seems a turnover with nearly every kick of the ball. No teamwork. We need another VFL coach.
Yes, that quarter was pretty hard to watch. Maybe it's tricky conditions?

longmile
25th March 2022, 05:58 PM

I singled Bell out for poor disposal before, but I'll take it back now. It's everyone.

Foreign Legion
25th March 2022, 06:16 PM
Good goal by Gould

dejavoodoo44
25th March 2022, 06:18 PM
Beautiful work from Gould: spoil, gather, straight through from 55 out.

Ralph Dawg
25th March 2022, 06:30 PM
We get all excited about new draftees and recruits but it's a bit of a reality check watching them play, even at VFL level. For example, compare Squizzy' and Fox's s disposal and ability to find the ball v Roberts, Warner, Sheathed, Rankin etc. They're streets ahead. Even AFL experienced Shipley looks more ready to make the jump. Liked Gould's work so far, Amartey looking good too. Ladhams just having a big dummy spit about having to play ressies - he can stay there. By all accounts, that was his attitude at Port too.

Foreign Legion
25th March 2022, 06:31 PM
Hope the lights come on in the last qtr

Foreign Legion
25th March 2022, 06:34 PM
They just turned them on.

Best game I've seen Gould play

dejavoodoo44
25th March 2022, 06:37 PM
They just turned them on.

Best game I've seen Gould play

Yes, I really liked Gould in that quarter. Bell, too, he helped the side up the pressure and the Bulldogs hardly had an unpressured disposal.

Foreign Legion
25th March 2022, 06:39 PM
Yes, I really liked Gould in that quarter. Bell, too, he helped the side up the pressure and the Bulldogs hardly had an unpressured disposal.

Gould has read the play really well which is critical for a defender. He is a bloody good kick too. Good depth

rickmat
25th March 2022, 07:11 PM
Ladhams pulled his finger out towards the end and kicked 2 goals

Aaron
25th March 2022, 07:16 PM
Swans won 13.12.90 against Bulldogs 6.10. 46 and begins the season at the top of the VFL table (for now!)

Mark26
25th March 2022, 07:21 PM
Ladhams pulled his finger out towards the end and kicked 2 goals

Yes he improved didn't he? But I thought Amartey was strong up in the forwards today. Good to see him leading well and finishing with three. He's got some springs on him too.

Ludwig
25th March 2022, 07:22 PM
I don't recall seeing Melican, Fox or O'Riordan in the 2nd half. I wonder what's up. It seemed to be just Gould and a bunch of VFL players in our defence. The Bulldogs disappeared in the 2nd half.

MattW
25th March 2022, 07:22 PM
Swans won 13.12.90 against Bulldogs 6.10. 46 and begins the season at the top of the VFL table (for now!)

Wasn't able to watch, but positive result on paper.

No hitouts to Sinclair, so it sounds like he played as a specialist forward.

Five scoring shots each to Ronke and Amartey is positive. Good possession numbers for Roberts and Warner in their first games.

Did O'Riordan play the entire game? Just 5 disposals.

dejavoodoo44
25th March 2022, 07:29 PM
Wasn't able to watch, but positive result on paper.

No hitouts to Sinclair, so it sounds like he played as a specialist forward.

Five scoring shots each to Ronke and Amartey is positive. Good possession numbers for Roberts and Warner in their first games.

Did O'Riordan play the entire game? Just 5 disposals.

No, I don't think O'Riordan played the second half, perhaps not even the second quarter. And as Ludwig said, perhaps Fox and Melican didn't play after quarter time either? Which makes Gould's performance even more impressive.

Ralph Dawg
25th March 2022, 07:35 PM
I don't recall seeing Melican, Fox or O'Riordan in the 2nd half. I wonder what's up. It seemed to be just Gould and a bunch of VFL players in our defence. The Bulldogs disappeared in the 2nd half.
You're right Ludwig. Not quite sure what happened to COR and Fox. Plus BOC wasn't playing?

The patch before halftime was extremely average, but overall not a bad performance. I really like Sqizzy's game. Played alot off HB and in the middle and showed really clean disposal and good vision. He was clearly our dominant player. Clarke and Bell got plenty of ball but a bit sloppy at times. Roberts likewise plenty of ball and was solid without being spectacular. Liked Warner's game, speedy, committed and had the best disposal of our new players. Really disliked Ladham's game. Didn't work, seemed disinterested and gave away stupid frees. For me, he's dropped behind Amartey, Sinclair and Reid as next in line for the forward / ruck role. He needs to show he wants it bad enough to put in the effort, even if it is ressies at a suburban ground in front of a few hundred people.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention Gould was superb. Composed under pressure, beautiful kick on him and seems to be in good shape. Next in line for a medium / tall defensive spot in our AFL side after that game.

Ludwig
25th March 2022, 07:37 PM
BOC wasn't named in the side. Fox and Melican looked good when they played. It almost seems like they might have tested positive for Covid, but the results came in after the game started and they had to be pulled afterwards. Just conjecture though, because it does seem odd that all 3 went out.

dejavoodoo44
25th March 2022, 07:45 PM
You're right Ludwig. Not quite sure what happened to COR and Fox. Plus BOC wasn't playing?

The patch before halftime was extremely average, but overall not a bad performance. I really like Sqizzy's game. Played alot off HB and in the middle and showed really clean disposal and good vision. He was clearly our dominant player. Clarke and Bell got plenty of ball but a bit sloppy at times. Roberts likewise plenty of ball and was solid without being spectacular. Liked Warner's game, speedy, committed and had the best disposal of our new players. Really disliked Ladham's game. Didn't work, seemed disinterested and gave away stupid frees. For me, he's dropped behind Amartey, Sinclair and Reid as next in line for the forward / ruck role. He needs to show he wants it bad enough to put in the effort, even if it is ressies at a suburban ground in front of a few hundred people.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention Gould was superb. Composed under pressure, beautiful kick on him and seems to be in good shape. Next in line for a medium / tall defensive spot in our AFL side after that game.
Agree with most of that, but totally disagree about Ladhams. I thought he supplied a strong physical presence in the second half, which was instrumental in getting side going again in the third quarter. Some tough contested possessions and a couple of goals to top things off.

Ralph Dawg
25th March 2022, 07:48 PM
Agree with most of that, but totally disagree about Ladhams. I thought he supplied a strong physical presence in the second half, which was instrumental in getting side going again in the third quarter. Some tough contested possessions and a couple of goals to top things off.
Re Ladhams, I admit, I could be biased. A friend of mine with links to Port was telling me they did not think very highly of him at Port due to a sense of entitlement and overall bad attitude. I should clear my mind of that thought and give him a fair go now that he's in the red and white.

Foreign Legion
25th March 2022, 08:25 PM
O'Riordan looked fine too me as did Fox but I must admit I didnt see them after half time.

It was good to see McAndrew take a few marks - he impressed me but is a year away from playing seniors.

Bay View
25th March 2022, 08:26 PM
Was at the game. They were so good in the last quarter against the breeze. Fox had ice taped to his leg. Maybe a hammy. O’Riordan had an eye injury.

mcs
25th March 2022, 10:49 PM
Was at the game. They were so good in the last quarter against the breeze. Fox had ice taped to his leg. Maybe a hammy. O’Riordan had an eye injury.I managed to catch most of it - lots of vfl games being streamed on AFL.com.au this year for anyone that hasn't seen.

Thought it was a really decent performance. Wasn't able to watch closely enough to track individual players, but collectively there was a real hunger there against who have been a good vfl in recent years.

Great start to the weekend being built on by the seniors [emoji4]

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

Scottee
26th March 2022, 01:42 PM
The AFL claim that all of the VFL games will be available on demand but all I can find are highlight packages of the Swans game. Has anybody found the full game online?

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

dejavoodoo44
26th March 2022, 02:52 PM
The AFL claim that all of the VFL games will be available on demand but all I can find are highlight packages of the Swans game. Has anybody found the full game online?

No, I tried the VFL app as well, but that's largely useless. Perhaps they'll get round to putting full games up in a day or two?

Kafka's Ghost
26th March 2022, 02:52 PM

Henson Park is on the cards for an upgrade so hopefully more games will be played there afterwards. Blacktown at 5pm on a Friday is just not possible for many.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Scottee
26th March 2022, 04:20 PM

Sent from my SM-T865 using TapatalkLet's hope so.

Aaron
26th March 2022, 04:23 PM

The game was streamed LIVE yesterday and I watched it. I believe only the "mini-match" is available afterwards.

Scottee
26th March 2022, 05:33 PM
The game was streamed LIVE yesterday and I watched it. I believe only the "mini-match" is available afterwards.They were claiming in their promo that the games would be available "on demand".

Scottee
26th March 2022, 05:40 PM
Beautiful work from Gould: spoil, gather, straight through from 55 out.I will be very interested to see how he goes this year. At the draft combine he ran about 3.2 seconds for the 20m sprint. At that time he was about 9 kgs heavier, so he is potentially around the 3.0 second mark now, and his stamina should be through the roof. If so, he could be a midfield candidate as he played there a fair bit as a junior.Could be a dark horse for a senior debut.

Scottee
26th March 2022, 05:46 PM
No, I tried the VFL app as well, but that's largely useless. Perhaps they'll get round to putting full games up in a day or two?It's up : )

Nico
26th March 2022, 05:59 PM
Re Ladhams, I admit, I could be biased. A friend of mine with links to Port was telling me they did not think very highly of him at Port due to a sense of entitlement and overall bad attitude. I should clear my mind of that thought and give him a fair go now that he's in the red and white.

Did you see the insipid performance by Marshall for Port last week, the one they kept in preference to Ladhams. He was as weak as water. Will be interesting to see how he goes this round.

AB Swannie
27th March 2022, 08:03 AM
Admittedly I only watched portions of the game but when I did I thought Amartey was a man amongst boys. I’d they rest Buddy this week then I see him coming into the firsts.

After watching Corey Warner in a few junior games, I was worried about his kicking. This game proved me wrong. He delivered some gems and was impressive with his run.

Aprilbr
27th March 2022, 11:38 AM
Admittedly I only watched portions of the game but when I did I thought Amartey was a man amongst boys. I’d they rest Buddy this week then I see him coming into the firsts.

After watching Corey Warner in a few junior games, I was worried about his kicking. This game proved me wrong. He delivered some gems and was impressive with his run.It looks like the reserves are in for a strong season. Much more depth in our squad than we have seen for some time. Good to see Taylor stepping up - obviously he is playing for his career. Can he force his way into the firsts through top performances in the VFL? From what I saw in the highlights, Ladhams looked pretty impressive so intrigued to see the criticism of his game here.

Ludwig
27th March 2022, 12:25 PM
Ladhams' ruckwork still needs improvement, but his marking and kicking around the ground were very good. He jogs a bit funny, but is actually quite agile. I hope he turns out, because he could be an important player for us.

McAndrew also looks to be going okay. His kicking needs plenty of work. It will be interesting to see how his development goes this year.

Gould was the standout for me. He has a booming kick and marks the ball well. He did a great job in defence without much help with some key defenders going down early. I wouldn't mind seeing him getting a go in the seniors soon. I think we can play the McCartins, Rampe and Gould all in the same backline and choose the 7th defender from Campbell, JMac and Blakey.

Scottee
27th March 2022, 12:50 PM
With the superspreader event at Buddy's 1000th they might all get a game next week.

Aprilbr
27th March 2022, 03:20 PM
With the superspreader event at Buddy's 1000th they might all get a game next week.

Sent from my SM-T865 using TapatalkYes, we could be like WCE today fir the Bulldogs game - playing with 14 of the Cats game's starting team out! Let's hope not.

AB Swannie
27th March 2022, 05:30 PM
I wouldn’t overreact to the Covid threat just yet. My understanding is that most of our players have already had it. West Coast is a completely different story as they’ve been living in a bubble for two years.

TheBloods
27th March 2022, 05:33 PM
i didnt see the last qtr , the afl website is stuffed

Roberts will be in the 22 by years end , Sheather too .

stevoswan
27th March 2022, 05:46 PM
I wouldn’t overreact to the Covid threat just yet. My understanding is that most of our players have already had it. West Coast is a completely different story as they’ve been living in a bubble for two years.

They can still get it and if it shows on a test, it makes no difference....they'll still be out. Fingers crossed we get a miracle.

- - - Updated - - -

i didnt see the last qtr , the afl website is stuffed

Roberts will be in the 22 by years end , Sheather too .

Safe bet with Covid protocols stalking the season.:tongue:

In fact, they might be in next weeks team TB!

AB Swannie
27th March 2022, 06:11 PM
They can still get it and if it shows on a test, it makes no difference....they'll still be out. Fingers crossed we get a miracle.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, they might be in next weeks team TB!

The sky is not falling in.

Aprilbr
27th March 2022, 08:12 PM

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, they might be in next weeks team TB!Agreed, SS. There are plenty of people who have contracted Covid at least twice. With new strains emerging all of the time, our players could still catch it despite vaccination or prior infection. However, a bunch of positive cases within out team will certainly upset our momentum.

bloodspirit
28th March 2022, 12:02 PM
My thoughts after watching a replay of the game:

* excellent to have AFL.com.au streaming the matches live and offering them on demand for free! Long may this continue!

* overall, especially in the first half, I thought the standard wasn't that great. I would be interested to see the stats but couldn't find them after a quick look. Can anyone post a link?

* our best, most prolific and reliable player was Squizzy. He can definitely step up and play a role in seniors if needed but it doesn't look like he's going to be more than a depth player and, depending on the situation, it may be better to get games into the youth who will be our future. Ronke was also effective with 3 goals and 20+ possessions.

* the two players who most exceeded my expectations were Warner and McAndrew. Both were pretty good. Warner offers more than I had hoped and McAndrew is developing well. McAndrew's disposal is not his strength, and he's not a massive physical presence, but he's getting involved around the ground both ways (including tackling - which is much better than is typical for someone of his physique thanks to his rugby background) and using his height to good advantage both in the ruck and as a marking outlet. Will be much more challenged at senior level.

* the two VFL listed players who most impressed me were Geddes and Shipley - Geddes worked hard and stayed involved and Shipley looked a bit classier than many other players on the field when he had possession.

* Roberts was solid. Works hard, runs both ways, gets the ball, and can kick the ball a long way. Doesn't appear to have a lot of x-factor at this stage.

* Bell's disposal really let him down. He was otherwise pretty good but kept missing kicks - both for goal and in the field.

* I thought Ladhams was more good than bad however he did seem to pick and choose a bit when to give effort. I'm glad he's being made to work for it in the 2s. He shared the rucking with McAndrew, while Sinclair and Amartey didn't spend much time in the ruck and mostly played forward. Quite a lot of tall options to choose from though. I think Ladhams is a little in front of Amartey but they're kind of similar. I think Ladhams has a bit more talent but perhaps a more questionable attitude. I'm sure the attitude is something we are working on with him and hopefully he comes good.

* Gould was better in the second half than the first and he had a brilliant goal. Personally I thought his first half was underwhelming and I was feeling pretty discouraged about him at half time but he made some strong intercept marks in the second half (in addition to his goal). He didn't seem to make the most of his kicking ability and I would like to see him gain a lot more metres in a match (but not just by bombing it long). He also didn't use his physicality to advantage that often (although there was one memorable tackle).

bloodspirit
28th March 2022, 12:49 PM
My thoughts after watching a replay of the game:

* excellent to have AFL.com.au streaming the matches live and offering them on demand for free! Long may this continue!

* overall, especially in the first half, I thought the standard wasn't that great. I would be interested to see the stats but couldn't find them after a quick look. Can anyone post a link?

* our best, most prolific and reliable player was Squizzy. He can definitely step up and play a role in seniors if needed but it doesn't look like he's going to be more than a depth player and, depending on the situation, it may be better to get games into the youth who will be our future. Ronke was also effective with 3 goals and 20+ possessions.

* the two players who most exceeded my expectations were Warner and McAndrew. Both were pretty good. Warner offers more than I had hoped and McAndrew is developing well. McAndrew's disposal is not his strength, and he's not a massive physical presence, but he's getting involved around the ground both ways (including tackling - which is much better than is typical for someone of his physique thanks to his rugby background) and using his height to good advantage both in the ruck and as a marking outlet. Will be much more challenged at senior level.

* the two VFL listed players who most impressed me were Geddes and Shipley - Geddes worked hard and stayed involved and Shipley looked a bit classier than many other players on the field when he had possession.

* Roberts was solid. Works hard, runs both ways, gets the ball, and can kick the ball a long way. Doesn't appear to have a lot of x-factor at this stage.

* Bell's disposal really let him down. He was otherwise pretty good but kept missing kicks - both for goal and in the field.

* I thought Ladhams was more good than bad however he did seem to pick and choose a bit when to give effort. I'm glad he's being made to work for it in the 2s. He shared the rucking with McAndrew, while Sinclair and Amartey didn't spend much time in the ruck and mostly played forward. Quite a lot of tall options to choose from though. I think Ladhams is a little in front of Amartey but they're kind of similar. I think Ladhams has a bit more talent but perhaps a more questionable attitude. I'm sure the attitude is something we are working on with him and hopefully he comes good.

* Gould was better in the second half than the first and he had a brilliant goal. Personally I thought his first half was underwhelming and I was feeling pretty discouraged about him at half time but he made some strong intercept marks in the second half (in addition to his goal). He didn't seem to make the most of his kicking ability and I would like to see him gain a lot more metres in a match (but not just by bombing it long). He also didn't use his physicality to advantage that often (although there was one memorable tackle).

Bangalore Swans
28th March 2022, 01:59 PM
Ladhams' ruckwork still needs improvement, but his marking and kicking around the ground were very good. He jogs a bit funny, but is actually quite agile. I hope he turns out, because he could be an important player for us.

McAndrew also looks to be going okay. His kicking needs plenty of work. It will be interesting to see how his development goes this year.

Gould was the standout for me. He has a booming kick and marks the ball well. He did a great job in defence without much help with some key defenders going down early. I wouldn't mind seeing him getting a go in the seniors soon. I think we can play the McCartins, Rampe and Gould all in the same backline and choose the 7th defender from Campbell, JMac and Blakey.

Are you ready to declare that Gould will succeed Rampe as the 3rd tall defender?

I think they can keep him on the list because there are some other players whom will most likely depart at seasons end:

Sinclair
Naismith
Taylor
Clarke
Ronke
Reid

Possibly

Buddy
Kennedy
Fox

bandwagon
28th March 2022, 02:21 PM
Almost entirely agree with your assessment bloodspirit - you clearly have outstanding judgement :p

For stats - open VFL streaming & fixtures, link to the replay is on the left, stats are under 'Match Center'.
I expect some hard decisions will have to be made at the end of the year regarding some mid-aged players - Ronke, Bell, Clarke, Taylor. They each have limitations, but you can't fault their attitude and endeavor. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more is kept on the list in order to keep the VFL side competitive and to be a role model to younger players.

Talking of attitude, I think Ladhams was the most talented of the ruck/fwds on show, but his poor discipline really stood out. I don't expect him to get a gig in the seniors until he buys into the club standards a bit more.

I was a bit more impressed by Gould than you. He delivered a couple of good long kicks into the corridor early on, but they were not marked, so came back with interest. He was a bit more conservative after that. Once the side gels a bit more I hope that should allow his attacking side to flourish. I was happy with his defensive efforts.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it was nice to beat up the Bulldogs - as we were reminded several times in the stream, they were unbeaten last year.

28th March 2022, 02:34 PM
.................After watching Corey Warner in a few junior games, I was worried about his kicking. This game proved me wrong. He delivered some gems and was impressive with his run.

Good news that Corey is already impressing at VFL level.

Only two more brothers to draft to complete the set of four Warners!

bloodspirit
28th March 2022, 03:24 PM
Almost entirely agree with your assessment bloodspirit - you clearly have outstanding judgement :p

No, no, after you, bandwagon, good sir. It's clearly you who have the outstanding judgment! I was just fortunate enough to agree with you on this occasion and to publish first. :tongue:

I'm glad you see more in Gould. I really want him to come good. Rampe is pretty much my favourite player (now rivalled by Gulden) but this year and last year Rampe has not been at his best and Gould could be the one to replace him and play alongside the McCartins in future, if he can come good. So it would be great if Gould can come good.

Nice one! :clap: Bring on Ashton and Troy. We'll convert the family from being Cats fans if we haven't already. Is there a sister too? We might be able to get a 5-pack.

I'm really pleased to see Corey impressing because I was feeling there were other players we should have drafted with that pick (like Arlo Draper - Matt Roberts good mate - or maybe Zac Taylor) and that maybe we gave too much weight to him being Chad's brother (this was acknowledged to be a factor). Should have trusted our list managers more (I usually do).

Bangalore Swans
29th March 2022, 08:52 AM

Isn’t there speculation that the family will relocate to Sydney and the younger siblings will join the Academy.

Scottee
29th March 2022, 10:27 AM
Corey definitely has the "Warner smarts". Excellent awareness and ability to sum up a situation in a split second. Will be pushing for selection before long.

Bloods05
29th March 2022, 01:44 PM
Isn’t there speculation that the family will relocate to Sydney and the younger siblings will join the Academy.
There is now.

rickmat
30th March 2022, 04:50 PM
Still no report by the VFL "coach" on the great first win for the season, bloody typical!!!!!

Aaron
31st March 2022, 02:05 PM
The VFL coaches are awarding 5-4-3-2-1 to their best players in each VFL game from either team,
Round 1 Sydney 13.12 (90) def Footscray 6.10 (46)
9 Lewis Taylor (Syd)
5 Ryan Clarke (Syd)
4 Joel Amartey (Syd)
4 Robbie McComb (Foo)
4 Ben Ronke (Syd)
3 Will Gould (Syd)
1 Lachie Sullivan (Foo)

ugg
31st March 2022, 02:25 PM
Only(?) possible breakdown

Taylor 5-4
Clarke 5-0
Amartey, McComb, Ronke 4-0, 3-1, 2-2
Gould 3-0
Sullivan 1-0

ugg
1st April 2022, 03:24 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Team v <a href="https://twitter.com/GoldCoastSUNS?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@GoldCoastSUNS</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/VFL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#VFL</a> tonight<br><br>B: Gould Melican O&#39;Connor<br>HB: Clarke Reid Rankin<br>C: Co.Warner Taylor Bell<br>HF: Sheather McDonald Ronke<br>F: Bartholomaeus Sinclair McAndrew<br>Foll: Ladhams Sheldrick Roberts<br><br>Int: Shipley Anderson Morrison Cordell Collis<br>Emg: Brewer Pfrengle Geddes</p>&mdash; Swans Reserves (@swansreserves) <a href="https://twitter.com/swansreserves/status/1509745169977180167?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 1, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Aaron
1st April 2022, 04:14 PM
Out: Amartey, Fox, Geddes, A. Gulden, O'Riordan
In: Anderson, McDonald, O'Connor, Reid and Sheldrick

Bay View
1st April 2022, 04:34 PM
Great team for tonight despite the outs! Playing a reserves game after the AFL game is definitely better for giving more players a run. A.Gulden went off injured last week with an arm or shoulder injury. With Gulden, O’Riordan and Fox all on the bench during the last quarter against Footscray, that win was even more impressive. Let’s hope we can win again tonight. Looking forward to more from Roberts and Warner and maybe some goals for McDonald. Hoping Taylor’s form continues and that he can get a run in the firsts at some point. Even as sub.

liz
1st April 2022, 04:35 PM
Good work out for Ronke this week.

I've not completely given up hope for Ronke yet. That classy goal he kicked last night was a reminder of what he teased us with all those years ago. Admittedly he didn't do a whole lot other than that goal, but he provides an alternative to Wicks for that small, pressure forward. I hope he can back up well this evening.

MattW
1st April 2022, 05:28 PM
Good work out for Ronke this week.

I've not completely given up hope for Ronke yet. That classy goal he kicked last night was a reminder of what he teased us with all those years ago. Admittedly he didn't do a whole lot other than that goal, but he provides an alternative to Wicks for that small, pressure forward. I hope he can back up well this evening.Ronke had 23 disposals and 3 goals in the VFL team last week, which I think might be a record for him at that level, and is promising.

Ronke and Wicks had pretty much the same (modest) stats last night calculated on a pro rata basis with reference to TOG.

Ronke's a better kick for goal than Wicks, but doesn't have Wicks' terrier attitude. Ronke *still* follows the ball a bit. If Ronke could lift his pressure acts and tackles, he would challenge genuinely for that spot. Wicks' discipline remains poor.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Aaron
1st April 2022, 06:55 PM
Suns has 18 AFL listed players and we have 17 playing tonight. So it could be a better game I expect.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 07:07 PM
Ronke playing again tonight apparently - you'd imagine he would only play a half

- - - Updated - - -

And Ronke goals

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 07:28 PM
McDonald looking good with 2 goals from marks and set shots

MattW
1st April 2022, 07:28 PM
Come on, Logan!

ugg
1st April 2022, 07:35 PM
I’m unable to watch. What’s the ruck situation. I see all three of McAndrew Ladhams and Sinclair have hitouts to their name

mcs
1st April 2022, 07:36 PM
I’m unable to watch. What’s the ruck situation. I see all three of McAndrew Ladhams and Sinclair have hitouts to their name

Ladhams primary ruck so far, with support from Sinclair, and I'm guessing a little from McAndrew when its up forward.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 07:41 PM
1/4 time

Swans 4.2.26
Suns 3.4.22

McDonald was good. I like Sheldrick he reads the play well and is a good burst style player.

Of the ruckmen I think Sinclair was best but nothing special.

MattW
1st April 2022, 07:45 PM
Nice to see future Barry Round Medal winner, Justin McInerney out in the huddle, revving the team up.

MattW
1st April 2022, 07:51 PM
At this level too, McDonald is getting right up the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Roberts is an absolute magnet.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 07:58 PM
McDonald another goal - great set snap from the pocket.

MattW
1st April 2022, 08:00 PM
McDonald snaps truly from an acute angle on the boundary after a free for a high tackle. Third goal.

- - - Updated - - -

Ronke set shot from 47m after Taylor found him with a clever in bound pass. His second.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 08:00 PM
Ronke another goal after a good clever pass from Taylor.

Swans doing well.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 08:04 PM
Swans 7.2.44
Suns 5.5.35

MattW
1st April 2022, 08:14 PM
Swans consistently outmarked in the Suns' forward 50.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 08:18 PM
As MattW said - we have been outmarked about 90% of the time this quarter. We look terrible right now - poor disposal and dare I say it don't look fit enough.

The last 15 minutes have been so one sided.

- - - Updated - - -

Swans 7.2.44
Suns 7.9.51

1/2 time.

Ladhams is a mile off I think.

crackedactor 01
1st April 2022, 08:21 PM
Agree. Swans barely touched the ball in the last 15 minutes. Ladhams got beaten badly in the ruck and the back line of Gould and Melican look very ordinary. The seniors better not have too many injuries because everyone I have seen look ordinary.

The Big Cat
1st April 2022, 08:22 PM
Agreed. Ladhams is being obliterated. I had big hopes for Gould, but I’m afraid he’s looking like a draft bust. Mr Inbeween, too short for key defender, too slow for a flanker. Melican also looking a mile away. When Clarke and Taylor our best, you know we’re not travelling too well.

MattW
1st April 2022, 08:22 PM
As MattW said - we have been outmarked about 90% of the time this quarter. We look terrible right now - poor disposal and dare I say it don't look fit enough.

The last 15 minutes have been so one sided.

- - - Updated - - -

Swans 7.2.44
Suns 7.9.51

1/2 time.

Ladhams is a mile off I think.

Yep, Sinclair was better than Ladhams.

Faunac8
1st April 2022, 08:23 PM
Tend to agree from what I have seen regarding Ladhams I felt Sinclair has offered more so far which is a concern let’s hope we get him into shape and quickly.

liz
1st April 2022, 08:26 PM
I thought they were going well for the first quarter and a half, but that second half of the second quarter was dreadful. The Suns' young skinny ruckman, Moyle, is making Ladhams look amateur.

Hopefully they can reset in the middle for the second half, because our forward line has looked pretty good when we've managed to get the ball up there.

I pray that the McCartins can keep themselves healthy, because their understudies aren't doing anything to impress. I wonder if moving Reid down back is a good idea - give him some experience playing in defence, just in case.

Although he hasn't had a lot of the ball, Rankin has let rip with some sizzling disposals. I've love to see them try to exit defence in the second half with the ball in his hands. He's capable of running it out and then kicking long and, more importantly, accurately.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 08:26 PM
Agreed. Ladhams is being obliterated. I was big fan of Goold, but I’m afraid he’s looking like a draft bust. Mr Inbeween, too short for key defender, too slow for a flanker.

I saw the game at Whitten Oval live last week and Gould looked great. He has dropped a couple of pretty easy marks tonight and then outmarked easily in the quarter.

Taylor and Clarke look ok. Reid is at least an option besides McDonald.

dejavoodoo44
1st April 2022, 08:33 PM
That quarter started out well, but degenerated into a turnover festival in the latter stages. Though if it's any consolation, it was more our VFL listed players, rather than our AFL listed players, that were missing targets.

McDonald was useful with a few goals. Roberts got plenty of it. Clarke also was busy, and he wasn't making nervous with ball in hand, like he used to. Gould was best in the backline, but others were having problems. Ladhams was pretty good, and I do like the way he throws his weight around, but I wouldn't be hugely confident if he replaced Hickey. Taylor is pretty well always handy at this level. Many of the others were good in patches: Bell, Warner Sheather, Anderson, Sheldrick, Sinclair, etc, but no one was close to dominating.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 08:44 PM
Bloody hell we have been outmarked so easily in the last 20 minutes

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 08:49 PM
McAndrew just missed a goal from half a metre out - unbelievable - now he gets a free and has another chance.

Goal

- - - Updated - - -

For God's sake - throw it up umps - 10th time it has been recalled

dejavoodoo44
1st April 2022, 08:49 PM
Nice that McAndrew got another chance, after more or less kicking it backwards on the goal line.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 08:53 PM
Swans 10.6.66

Suns 10.9.69

Playing better this quarter but still getting outmarked in contests badly

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 08:56 PM
McAndrew shows good agility to kick his 3rd

dejavoodoo44
1st April 2022, 08:57 PM
McAndrew shows good agility to kick his 3rd
Nice roving for someone 209cm.

Thunder Shaker
1st April 2022, 08:58 PM
I'm watching the live feed from the AFL website for the first time. It's quite enjoyable. I like a good contest regardless of the level of play.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 09:14 PM
Both teams 11.9.75 just on 3/4 time

- - - Updated - - -

McDonald kicks his 4th after a clever play on and pass from Taylor

- - - Updated - - -

I'm watching the live feed from the AFL website for the first time. It's quite enjoyable. I like a good contest regardless of the level of play.

Yes the stream is pretty good and not bad camera work either.

Taylor a goal from a snap

- - - Updated - - -

Goal to Ladhams - 34.30 in the 3rd quarter - some bloody long quarters in this game.

- - - Updated - - -

37.11 long 3rd quarter.

It was like playing Collingwood at Victoria Park when the Pies were a goal or two down. Not that high scoring a game - 1st and 3rd VERY long.

liz
1st April 2022, 09:17 PM
Hard to understand why they have persisted in bouncing the ball in the centre. Does the clock stop every time they recall the ball? If so, that might be one reason why the quarters have been so long.

Much better effort in that third quarter. I think we were a little lucky to pile on three quick goals towards the end of the quarter. (The 50m penalty leading to the Ladhams goal seemed harsh.)

Sheldrick's burrowing and Clarke's distribution have been the highlights for me. In fact, it's one of the best games I've seen from Clarke for ages in terms of his ball use.

dejavoodoo44
1st April 2022, 09:17 PM
Roberts was very busy in that quarter and probably BOG. Clarke almost as busy. Bell had some really nice involvements in some of our scoring moves. I do like watching McAndrew. He's faster than the opposition give him credit for, and consequently, is able to put on some effective defensive pressure.

MattW
1st April 2022, 09:18 PM
Longmire and Cox around the lads at 3/4 time.

Faunac8
1st April 2022, 09:20 PM
I like the look of Lachlan McAndrew given how raw he is I think he has some real potential. It’s been a good opportunity for Logan to get a few goals and pick up some confidence as well. Sheather looks like he will handle senior footy without any issues and Ladhams played week and came back into the game in that quarter.
Quite an enjoyable game to watch.

Thunder Shaker
1st April 2022, 09:23 PM
37.11 long 3rd quarter.

It was like playing Collingwood at Victoria Park when the Pies were a goal or two down. Not that high scoring a game - 1st and 3rd VERY long.
Quarters take a bit longer when the players have to fetch their own ball when it goes out of bounds.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 09:24 PM
I think McDonald might be promoted next week

He missed from 20M out lol

MattW
1st April 2022, 09:39 PM
Sheldrick is the best tackler out there.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 09:41 PM
Swans 15.11.101

Suns 12.12.84

Sheldrick a goal after a free

MattW
1st April 2022, 09:42 PM
Sheldrick is a winner; plays with heart.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 09:50 PM
Roberts has given away two bad frees in a row - we will lose this now.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 09:53 PM
Talk about an insipid last 10 minutes. Fumbles, bad frees given away, terrible disposal.

Reminds me of last night. Once again I question fitness - we ran out of gas in 2nd qtr and 4th.

MattW
1st April 2022, 09:54 PM
Roberts has given away two bad frees in a row - we will lose this now.

Both holding the ball. He was tired and will learn.

Gould had some excellent defensive punches in that quarter, but still too fumbly.

crackedactor 01
1st April 2022, 09:55 PM
How did we lose that??? What a ordinary side we are. I am sorry Gould is not an AFL player. Outmarked and constantly fumbled the ball.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 09:57 PM
Yeah I reckon Gould fumbled about 3 times in the last 5 minutes.

MattW - Roberts was very good except for trying to baulk too much in the last 5 minutes - he can find the ball thats for sure.

McDonald in next week for mine. Ladhams and Sinclair you may as well toss a coin - neither was very impressive.

dejavoodoo44
1st April 2022, 10:15 PM
Both holding the ball. He was tired and will learn.

Gould had some excellent defensive punches in that quarter, but still too fumbly.

Roberts may have been tired, but Collis really sold him into trouble and I'm not sure he had much prior? And overall, I thought he was one of our best. Gould had a good second half, and O'Connor improved, after our defence was outplayed in the second quarter. Taylor spoilt an otherwise good game, by not kicking a very gettable goal in the last and then giving away a dumb 50, that got them right back in it.

Our attack wasn't great in the last, but there was some good tackling efforts from Sheather, Sheldrick and Shipley (I feel like I want to make a joke with that alliteration, but it would undoubtedly be pretty lame). Bit of a shame we couldn't hang on, but as you say, it should be a learning experience.

Overall, not sure if anyone was obviously our best, but Clarke, Bell, Roberts and possibly McDonald would be in the conversation. I quite liked Ladhams, but more for his second efforts to put pressure on rather than his ruck work. And I think watching McAndrew develop will be fun.

Foreign Legion
1st April 2022, 10:29 PM
Roberts may have been tired, but Collis really sold him into trouble and I'm not sure he had much prior? And overall, I thought he was one of our best. Gould had a good second half, and O'Connor improved, after our defence was outplayed in the second quarter. Taylor spoilt an otherwise good game, by not kicking a very gettable goal in the last and then giving away a dumb 50, that got them right back in it.

Our attack wasn't great in the last, but there was some good tackling efforts from Sheather, Sheldrick and Shipley (I feel like I want to make a joke with that alliteration, but it would undoubtedly be pretty lame). Bit of a shame we couldn't hang on, but as you say, it should be a learning experience.

Overall, not sure if anyone was obviously our best, but Clarke, Bell, Roberts and possibly McDonald would be in the conversation. I quite liked Ladhams, but more for his second efforts to put pressure on rather than his ruck work. And I think watching McAndrew develop will be fun.

I think you are right naming Clarke in our best - to be honest I think he was our only 4 qtr performer but can't see him getting a game without a few injuries. One thing I will say about him - he doesn't give up and keeps giving 100%.

McAndrew is going to be interesting. He is a very mobile giant - he may end up a key forward rather than a ruck - even at 210cm.

MattW
1st April 2022, 10:31 PM

That kind of sums up Taylor - just lacks psychological discipline. Takes his foot off the pedal.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

mcs
1st April 2022, 10:31 PM
I think you are right naming Clarke in our best - to be honest I think he was our only 4 qtr performer but can't see him getting a game without a few injuries. One thing I will say about him - he doesn't give up and keeps giving 100%.

McAndrew is going to be interesting. He is a very mobile giant - he may end up a key forward rather than a ruck - even at 210cm.Maybe the seniors better keep practicing the bomb it forward at all costs approach.... Might actually have someone for which that approach is kicking to advantage [emoji23]

Ralph Dawg
2nd April 2022, 08:52 AM
Happy to see Logan get a bit of the ball and kick a few majors. So far in seniors, I feel he gets a bit lost, possibly deferring too much to Buddy and others in our F50. He's actually got good mobility and is a good field kick so when he comes back into our AFL team, I'd like to see him given more of a license to roam. In particular, when we are coming out of defence, he would be a good marking target, similar to the role Dawson use to play for us.

I like the look of Roberts - good size and skills. He has the goods and will surely get a chance in seniors. Sheldrick likewise, a solid unit with alot of ticker. If we can keep these two and develop them, we will look back on the draft of 2021 with fond memories.

Ludwig
2nd April 2022, 03:15 PM
I thought GC provided a good opposition. Burgess got the better of Gould, who was often beaten in marking contests.Gould also fumbled too often for my liking, but his kicking was good.

Melican also had an ordinary game. O'Connor didn't see much action, but played okay when the ball was in his area.

I thought Roberts was our best. He seemed to be everywhere. Clarke also played well and Sheldrick saw plenty of inside action and was hard at every contest.

Mixed reviews for Ladhams, who played well around the ground but less well in rucking contests, with Moyle providing some good opposition.

Ronke had some good moments and has put himself back in contention for that defensive forward spot.

McDonald had a solid game, taking some nice marks and kicking 4 goals, but missed a critical one from in close in the 4th qtr which would have sealed the game.

Ex GWS player, Shipley, was the best of the VFL players and had a very solid game.

liz
2nd April 2022, 03:32 PM
Ex GWS player, Shipley, was the best of the VFL players and had a very solid game.

Shipley was an excellent pick up for our VFL side. He's probably just lacking a trick or two to carve out a long term career at AFL level, but I've seen him dominate at NEAFL level. If we were to succumb to an Eagles style COVID wave sometime this season, I reckon his name will be the first written in as a top-up.

Aaron
8th April 2022, 10:11 AM
VFL Coaches Votes in for Round 2 (https://www.afl.com.au/news/736287/vfl-coaches-votes-brown-dominates-again-as-five-poll-perfect-10):

Sydney 15.11 (101) lost to Gold Coast 15.13 (103)
9 Malcolm Rosas (GC)
7 Ryan Clarke (Syd)
7 Matthew Roberts (Syd)
3 Ned Moyle (GC)
3 James Tsitas (GC)
1 Logan McDonald (Syd)
No Votes for Reid and Ladhams.

Scottee
8th April 2022, 11:44 AM
I would really like to see Gould tried in the middle. He can read the play well and is now fit enough to play the role and just does not seem to fit down back due to his "in between" body size. He played in the middle as a junior and having a big bodied mid would be a bonus with Kennedy heading to retirement. It also gives him an opportunity to display his leadership qualities.

Aaron
8th April 2022, 01:00 PM
I would really like to see Gould tried in the middle. He can read the play well and is now fit enough to play the role and just does not seem to fit down back due to his "in between" body size. He played in the middle as a junior and having a big bodied mid would be a bonus with Kennedy heading to retirement. It also gives him an opportunity to display his leadership qualities.
A good idea but he may need to develop a bigger tank.

Ludwig
8th April 2022, 02:58 PM
I would really like to see Gould tried in the middle. He can read the play well and is now fit enough to play the role and just does not seem to fit down back due to his "in between" body size. He played in the middle as a junior and having a big bodied mid would be a bonus with Kennedy heading to retirement. It also gives him an opportunity to display his leadership qualities.I made this suggestion last year, and I like the idea even more this year. I don't think his defensive 1 on 1 work is all that good and could well be suited for that big bodied midfielder many would like to have in the side. He was also a bit fumbly in the last game, which isn't good for a midfielder, or any position for that matter. He is quick an has a booming kick, both good traits for inside mids.

Mark26
8th April 2022, 03:14 PM
I made this suggestion last year, and I like the idea even more this year. I don't think his defensive 1 on 1 work is all that good and could well be suited for that big bodied midfielder many would like to have in the side. He was also a bit fumbly in the last game, which isn't good for a midfielder, or any position for that matter. He is quick an has a booming kick, both good traits for inside mids.

+1

I'll speak to Horse and co. Lock him in for next week.

PS - If only it were that easy to have access to the inner sanctum.

ugg
8th April 2022, 04:09 PM
So one of Bell and Taylor will be the medi-sub for the seniors. The coach names himself in the emergencies
<iframe class="instagram-media instagram-media-rendered" id="instagram-embed-0" src="https://www.instagram.com/p/CcEsLUWBJp0/embed/captioned/?cr=1&v=14&wp=810&rd=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redandwhiteonline.com&rp=%2Fforum%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dpostreply%26t%3D 44566#%7B%22ci%22%3A0%2C%22os%22%3A235.70000004768 372%2C%22ls%22%3A79.59999990463257%2C%22le%22%3A21 1.29999995231628%7D" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" height="1024" data-instgrm-payload-id="instagram-media-payload-0" scrolling="no" style="background: white; max-width: 540px; width: calc(100% - 2px); border-radius: 3px; border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); box-shadow: none; display: block; margin: 0px 0px 12px; min-width: 326px; padding: 0px;"></iframe> <script async="" src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>

liz
8th April 2022, 05:39 PM
So one of Bell and Taylor will be the medi-sub for the seniors.

How did you determine that from the VFL team list? Why not Sheldrick (who is also not listed above)?

Aaron
8th April 2022, 06:17 PM
Only Sinclair, Bell, Taylor, and Dylan Stephens are listed as the 4 emergencies for the senior game, Sheldrick isn't listed at all.

rb4x
8th April 2022, 09:22 PM
Who is that Jeremy Laidler character named as an emergency. We must be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

cruiser
9th April 2022, 10:49 AM
Seriously, why schedule this game at 1.05 to overlap with the seniors start time of 2.40? It spoils an opportunity for Swans supporters in Melbourne to watch a rare ‘derby’ game against the old neighbourhood rivals (for those not familiar with Melbourne geography, South Melbourne and Port Melbourne are right next to each other). I might go watch the first half of the VFL game before heading home to watch Syd v North on TV.

Faunac8
9th April 2022, 10:57 AM
Yes I wonder if they would schedule a Melbourne based team’s VFL game to clash with the AFL game ?
Pretty poor really and doesn’t help with the perception that the whole competition is still very much Melbourne centric.

ugg
9th April 2022, 02:33 PM
So the late changes are

Ronke, O'Connor, Cordell replaced by Maguire, Watling, and Alker (who wasn't named as an emergency yesterday)

MattW
9th April 2022, 02:37 PM
McDonald's first: #VFL / #VFLW on Twitter: "Logan McDonald takes a contested grab and gets on the scoreboard 💪

Watch Port Melbourne v Sydney now: https://t.co/dBCbjKhgzz… https://t.co/9vWsTdvBYi" (https://twitter.com/VFL/status/1512630887166316544?t=4TZ9-Sx6uOGAtqNoEoYn4w&s=19)

dejavoodoo44
9th April 2022, 02:39 PM
Quite a scrappy, but tough and enjoyable game. Plenty of physical contests and it's good to see youngsters like Roberts, Sheather and Anderson attempting to throw their weight around. Roberts is looking like he will handle the step up, if he gets the chance.

Gould and Melican doing well in defence. If given a good supply, Amartey and especially McDonald, could kick plenty.

Bangalore Swans
9th April 2022, 03:02 PM
Amartey towards the end of the 1st quarter demolished an opposition player with an incredible side line tackle. He ran 60 meters to nail the bloke.

Ludwig would still be high fiving people as it was such an uplifting big man play.

dejavoodoo44
9th April 2022, 03:22 PM
Despite missing a few gettable shots, McDonald has probably been our best. Eight marks to half time, possibly all of them contested. Roberts, Clarke and Stephens were all busy in that quarter. Gould was very good in defence, with some strong contests and decisive possessions. Sinclair battling strongly in the ruck. Not sure if I've seen McAndrew for a while? Hope he's not injured.

rb4x
9th April 2022, 03:27 PM
So the late changes are

Ronke, O'Connor, Cordell replaced by Maguire, Watling, and Alker (who wasn't named as an emergency yesterday)

The emergency not being used is one Jeremy Laidler!!!

longmile
9th April 2022, 03:35 PM
Amartey towards the end of the 1st quarter demolished an opposition player with an incredible side line tackle. He ran 60 meters to nail the bloke.

Ludwig would still be high fiving people as it was such an uplifting big man play.

Amartey should be in the seniors :grief:

UPDATE: kicks two in a row just as I post this!

Bangalore Swans
9th April 2022, 03:51 PM
Amartey should be in the seniors :grief:

UPDATE: kicks two in a row just as I post this!

Yep. Agree should be in the seniors.

He hit that Port Melbourne player like he was angry at not being selected.

dejavoodoo44
9th April 2022, 03:54 PM
Starting to kick straight and now 17 in front.

rickmat
9th April 2022, 04:48 PM
7 point win by the boys, Amartey 4 and McDonald 3 goals and Roberts with the most disposals. Great win against Port

Scottee
9th April 2022, 04:59 PM
7 point win by the boys, Amartey 4 and McDonald 3 goals and Roberts with the most disposals. Great win against PortAll 3 of those will be regulars in the seniors by the end of the year.

Amartey seems to have swallowed the angry pills and finally seems to be making the most of his size and strength. McDonald was classy but I'm not sure playing second fiddle to Buddy brings out the best in his game. Roberts is a ball magnet with a booming kick and quick reactions.

Plenty of pressure on McLean, Reid and Ladhams ( who's ruckwork is ordinary) and also, sadly, Kennedy.

Kafka's Ghost
9th April 2022, 07:36 PM
McDonald will be the main man up forward next week. Assume Buddy doesn’t play with his finger injury. Amartey also deserves his spot back in the seniors. Excellent games by both those boys.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

longmile
10th April 2022, 01:30 AM
Only been watching bits and pieces of the reserves, so please mind my ignorance, but I haven't seen Fox at all? Has he been playing?

Ruck'n'Roll
10th April 2022, 04:25 AM
McDonald's goals were around the corner snaps, whereas his shots from in front became points. I certainly hope not, but what the move up form VFL to AFL does to his goalkicking confidence may get very ugly.

And as for Gould, he realy looks all at sea as a key defender doesn't he. I'm not sure how practical (fitness wise) the idea of moving him to the midfield is at the moment, but I think the coaches need to begin considering a plan B for him.

ugg
10th April 2022, 05:27 AM
Only been watching bits and pieces of the reserves, so please mind my ignorance, but I haven't seen Fox at all? Has he been playing?

Suffered hamstring strain round 1 against Bulldogs

Ralph Dawg
10th April 2022, 10:01 AM
McDonald's goals were around the corner snaps, whereas his shots from in front became points. I certainly hope not, but what the move up form VFL to AFL does to his goalkicking confidence may get very ugly.

And as for Gould, he realy looks all at sea as a key defender doesn't he. I'm not sure how practical (fitness wise) the idea of moving him to the midfield is at the moment, but I think the coaches need to begin considering a plan B for him.
I think Gould has been steady enough.
18 disposals yesterday, 7 marks. One great play by him was an excellent intercept mark off a kick in, followed by a brilliant kick inside 50 to Amartey who goaled. I think his game is more suited at this stage as the third tall as he intercepts and distributes well. Agree he can get out bodies though but overall, he would be the next tall defender in if one of the McCartains or Rampe is out. Melican doing nothing at VFL level, BOC not playing (?injured) and Fox out with hammy (plus I think he's too short).

TheBloods
10th April 2022, 01:16 PM
Get roberts in the 1s

Ruck'n'Roll
10th April 2022, 06:45 PM
I think Gould has been steady enough.
18 disposals yesterday, 7 marks. One great play by him was an excellent intercept mark off a kick in, followed by a brilliant kick inside 50 to Amartey who goaled. I think his game is more suited at this stage as the third tall as he intercepts and distributes well. Agree he can get out bodies though but overall, he would be the next tall defender in if one of the McCartains or Rampe is out. Melican doing nothing at VFL level, BOC not playing (?injured) and Fox out with hammy (plus I think he's too short).

How many of the 18 disposals were kick-ins?

Roadrunner
11th April 2022, 02:25 PM
Get roberts in the 1s

Worth a try- rest Parks as he seems to be carrying an injury. Otherwise hard to find a spot for him if Paps comes back. And please don’t say you know who- his last 2 kicks helped us win the game!

bandwagon
11th April 2022, 07:24 PM
Funny how we all see things differently. After one viewing my feeling was that our best players were the talls - McDonald & Amartey at one end and Gould (and to some extent Melican) at the other. Also I felt Sinclair played well, while Roberts and Clarke were busy in the middle without really dominating.
Like i said, one viewing on the stream. Wasn't the most watchable game, despite being close. So dont think i can be bothered with a re-watch.

dejavoodoo44
11th April 2022, 07:35 PM
Funny how we all see things differently. After one viewing my feeling was that our best players were the talls - McDonald & Amartey at one end and Gould (and to some extent Melican) at the other. Also I felt Sinclair played well, while Roberts and Clarke were busy in the middle without really dominating.
Like i said, one viewing on the stream. Wasn't the most watchable game, despite being close. So dont think i can be bothered with a re-watch.
Yes, after watching the whole game, I thought McDonald and Gould were our best, closely followed by Roberts, Amartey, Clarke and Sheather. Sinclair was his usual reliable self. Some of the young VFL and academy players did some nice things. Anderson tackled well, Morrison was lively in the forward line, Brewer and Pfrengle showed a few glimpses when it was in their area.

liz
11th April 2022, 07:41 PM
So dont think i can be bothered with a re-watch.

You don't have a choice. I didn't watch the stream as I was on my way to, and then at, the SCG. Came home planning to watch a replay only to find there is no video available for our game. And still none, two days later. I looked back at earlier rounds and there are not videos up for every game (including not for our game against GC), so I don't think it's just a timing thing.

bandwagon
11th April 2022, 07:45 PM
You don't have a choice. I didn't watch the stream as I was on my way to, and then at, the SCG. Came home planning to watch a replay only to find there is no video available for our game. And still none, two days later. I looked back at earlier rounds and there are not videos up for every game (including not for our game against GC), so I don't think it's just a timing thing.

The AFL are just shocking with all things online. Except marketing their own content!

bandwagon
11th April 2022, 07:48 PM
Some of the young VFL and academy players did some nice things. Anderson tackled well, Morrison was lively in the forward line, Brewer and Pfrengle showed a few glimpses when it was in their area.

Agree, they all showed glimpses. Gives you faith that they are all well coached. Hayes (?) also was spectacular on occasion. Never seen him before.

Ludwig
11th April 2022, 08:18 PM
I saw the game pretty much the same as you did.

dejavoodoo44
11th April 2022, 08:48 PM
You can, but finding it is not intuitive. On the mobile site: click on the right three bar icon; then from the drop down menu, click VFL; then click on Videos and Streaming; then go back a round, then click on our game and you should see the match replay.

Aaron
11th April 2022, 10:10 PM
I watched the entire match replay from the Desk Top :
1. Visit VFL Videos - AFL.com.au (https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/video)
2. Scroll down, pass VFL Match showreels. and then VFL Mini Matches.
3. Then you will see VFL Macth Replay
4. Use the right arrow button to find the Swans Game (8th listed match from the left)
5. Or go directly to VFL Match Replay, R3: Port Melbourne v Sydney (https://www.afl.com.au/video/738216/vfl-match-replay-r3-port-melbourne-v-sydney?videoId=738216&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1649473500001)

liz
11th April 2022, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the instructions. The only apparently relevant spot I could find was the match centre. For most of the matches there was a clear “watch replay” icon.

Aprilbr
12th April 2022, 12:51 PM
I was very impressed with Logan's contested marking in this game. He clearly has great talent. His kicking action is beautiful to watch and he can make the distance from more than 50 metres out. However, his accuracy seems down at present. I just think its confidence as the action looks great.

Ludwig
12th April 2022, 03:04 PM
I was very impressed with Logan's contested marking in this game. He clearly has great talent. His kicking action is beautiful to watch and he can make the distance from more than 50 metres out. However, his accuracy seems down at present. I just think its confidence as the action looks great.
He made the tough kicks, but missed the easy ones. I think the 4 behinds are just a glitch. As you say, he has a great kicking action and can also kick them with around the corner shots. His marking was very impressive.

liz
12th April 2022, 03:16 PM
He made the tough kicks, but missed the easy ones. I think the 4 behinds are just a glitch. As you say, he has a great kicking action and can also kick them with around the corner shots. His marking was very impressive.

He hasn't had many shots at AFL level this year, but hasn't looked convincing with those he has had. His last one - while Buddy was coming back onto the ground for his milestone goal - missed everything.

He looked sound last year, and came to the club with a reputation as an accurate set shot. I suspect he's just going through a dip in confidence, maybe a flaw in execution. It's happened to many a good key forward at various times in their career.

dejavoodoo44
13th April 2022, 09:24 AM
He hasn't had many shots at AFL level this year, but hasn't looked convincing with those he has had. His last one - while Buddy was coming back onto the ground for his milestone goal - missed everything.

He looked sound last year, and came to the club with a reputation as an accurate set shot. I suspect he's just going through a dip in confidence, maybe a flaw in execution. It's happened to many a good key forward at various times in their career.

Yes, and at AFL level, I think that for most of his set shots, he would have had Buddy somewhere in his field of vision, waving his arms in the give it to me pose. Which was probably distracting for a young player. And possibly key forwards have the most difficult adjustment to make, when going from juniors to the top level. That is, they're used to being the focal point of the attack, but once playing AFL, they have to do things like: not get in the star forward's way, run decoys, lead to places they wouldn't usually lead to, apply more defensive pressure, do more shepherding, etc. Whereas as a young KPD, would play much the same game, but on the second or third tall.

So, it'll be interesting to see how he goes this week; assuming that he gets picked.

MattW
14th April 2022, 01:18 PM
Great to see. Surely the lad will get his chance tomorrow night.

Port Melbourne 10.5 (65) lost to Sydney 10.12 (72)
9 Logan McDonald (Syd)
5 Joel Amartey (Syd)
5 Will Gould (Syd)
5 Matthew Roberts (Syd)
5 Eli Templeton (PM)
1 Ryan Clarke (Syd)

They might to tempted to bring Amartey in for Reid or McLean, but probably won't.

Source: Nine-vote Dawson charges into pole position (https://www.afl.com.au/news/741048)

COB
14th April 2022, 03:18 PM
Great to see. Surely the lad will get his chance tomorrow night.

Port Melbourne 10.5 (65) lost to Sydney 10.12 (72)
9 Logan McDonald (Syd)
5 Joel Amartey (Syd)
5 Will Gould (Syd)
5 Matthew Roberts (Syd)
5 Eli Templeton (PM)
1 Ryan Clarke (Syd)

They might to tempted to bring Amartey in for Reid or McLean, but probably won't.

Source: Nine-vote Dawson charges into pole position (https://www.afl.com.au/news/741048)

Thanks for that info MattW. I can never find it.

ugg
14th April 2022, 03:21 PM

I think with Franklin out the coaches will favour the experience of Reid rather than the callowness of a McDonald, Amartey, McLean set up (43 games and 36 goals between them)

liz
14th April 2022, 03:34 PM
I think Reid is a certainty, assuming he’s available. But they’ll pick two talls to go with him.

ugg
15th April 2022, 02:38 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcWt0RoBmI3/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Side named. Kennedy the only emergency not named. Wicks also named

rb4x
15th April 2022, 03:06 PM
No Sheldrick or O'Connor!

dejavoodoo44
15th April 2022, 03:25 PM
No Sheldrick or O'Connor!
No, O'Connor is there. Although Sinclair isn't. Which makes me wonder if he's flown to Perth as an emergency ruck? With McAndrew injured, Amartey is the only ruckman named in the VFL side.

Ludwig
15th April 2022, 03:34 PM
The game is on Sunday, so there's time to fly over several players as emergencies and fly them back in time for the game.

dejavoodoo44
17th April 2022, 02:43 PM
That quarter showed that a decent ruckman comes in quite handy. Amartey was only doing a small amount and the majority was left to Maguire, a young key position size academy graduate. Consequently, the Bullants had more clean entries and established a 32-14 lead. Stephens, Gould, Shipley, Taylor, Bartholomaeus and Clarke all did pretty well in that quarter.

longmile
17th April 2022, 02:46 PM
I think Amartey has gone down with an injury? No talls now!

EDIT: commentators say suspected concussion

dejavoodoo44
17th April 2022, 02:49 PM
A concussion: probably from when he was slammed head first into the ground. No free kick.

- - - Updated - - -

I do like Morrison's efforts in the forward line.

dejavoodoo44
17th April 2022, 02:53 PM
Love O'Connor taking a mark on the lead, then putting it through from 50.

MattW
17th April 2022, 02:53 PM

EDIT: commentators say suspected concussion

BOC to the rescue - chest mark on the lead and booming set shot from 52m. Who knows - a stint forward might be the making of him.

Scottee
17th April 2022, 03:21 PM
Roberts possibly concussed with a laceration to the head.

dejavoodoo44
17th April 2022, 03:25 PM
Roberts possibly concussed with a laceration to the head.

Which appeared to be from having his head driven into the turf in a tackle. Once again, no free kick. Frees 15-5 at half time.

longmile
17th April 2022, 03:26 PM
Which appeared to be from having his head driven into the turf in a tackle. Once again, no free kick. Frees 15-5 at half time.

There was 3 50's awarded against us in that quarter as well

bandwagon
17th April 2022, 03:30 PM
Very entertaining half - 9.5 v 9.4
Been impressed by Gould - good reading of the play and generally penetrating disposal, Taylor - busy and composed, Roberts - hard at the contest, but will be surprised to see him again this arvo.
Morrison & Shipley have been the best of the top ups IMO.
Melican has been steady, O'Connor surprisingly effective up forward, Clarke industrious as ever, but let down by his decision making.
With (probably) two players down and no ruck, we will be up against it in the second half.

Also got to mention the bare bones commentary is better than some of the vacuous self satisfied garbage you get with the AFL.

bandwagon
17th April 2022, 03:34 PM

Amartey was clearly struggling to even stand after that collision, but the ump was desperate to re-start play. I know they want to speed up the game, but where is the duty of care?

dejavoodoo44
17th April 2022, 03:35 PM
I do like Clarke's work rate at this level. Always goes in hard, and I think going into the game, he was the leading possession getter in the VFL. Roberts was and Stephens had pretty good quarters. I do like how Gould uses it out of defence. Rankin and Warner had a few nice touches. O'Connor competed well in the forward line, as did Morrison.

I hope Roberts comes back out after the break, since the lack of a ruckman, means that we'll need all of our best ball getters.

dejavoodoo44
17th April 2022, 04:12 PM
Dire quarter. Roberts didn't come back out. Wicks looks like he's limping around deep forward, possibly because we're running out of numbers on the bench. Frees now 24-9.

mcs
17th April 2022, 04:23 PM
Very hard to achieve much with 2 players down, no talls for the ruck and robbing Peter (defence) to pay Paul (forward line).

bandwagon
17th April 2022, 04:35 PM
And now Gould is holding his hammy

Ludwig
17th April 2022, 04:56 PM
Not much to write home about with this game.

Clarke got plenty of the ball, but didn't do much with it. He didn't get much help either. Stephens and Wicks were awful. Stephens has gone backwards since being dropped. He looked better at AFL level than here. Wicks only had 9 possessions Both players were 0-2 in free kicks to boot. We looked hopeless after Roberts went down in 2nd qtr.

Perhaps the only positive is that Gould had another good game, and was our best player. It's hard to say how he would go at AFL level, but he's putting himself up for a call.

dejavoodoo44
17th April 2022, 05:25 PM
Not much to write home about with this game.

Clarke got plenty of the ball, but didn't do much with it. He didn't get much help either. Stephens and Wicks were awful. Stephens has gone backwards since being dropped. He looked better at AFL level than here. Wicks only had 9 possessions Both players were 0-2 in free kicks to boot. We looked hopeless after Roberts went down in 2nd qtr.

Perhaps the only positive is that Gould had another good game, and was our best player. It's hard to say how he would go at AFL level, but he's putting himself up for a call.

I thought Wicks may have picked up an injury? He was hobbling at times and didn't venture away from deep forward in the second half. Stephens had a strange game. Sometimes he looked really good, but he gave some atrocious hospital handballs. Speaking of atrocious, the frees ended up 30-15.

T

bandwagon
17th April 2022, 05:29 PM
Well that wasn't great. And that was the Bullants' first win of the season. I don't think our depth is as good as many say. Still, I'd have Gould as our best.

dejavoodoo44
17th April 2022, 05:33 PM
Looking for positives in the game. Gould did well. Clarke battled hard. Taylor was a bit like Stephens: some of his dash through the corridor was impressive, but too often, he missed a target at the end of the dash. One player who used it well was Rankin. Probably would have liked him to have had more of it, but he generally hit targets when he did.

Most of the VFL listed players did some good things, but not enough to make me think that any of them are going to earn an AFL list spot.

mcs
17th April 2022, 05:52 PM
Well that wasn't great. And that was the Bullants' first win of the season. I don't think our depth is as good as many say. Still, I'd have Gould as our best.A little harsh I think about depth. Take out basically every big tall (i.e. ruck and forward option) and most reserves teams are going to struggle big time.

We competed well in first half till we lost both Amartey and Roberts and then we just didn't have the troops.

Was Sinclair injured? Or just rested?

bandwagon
17th April 2022, 07:00 PM
We competed well in first half till we lost both Amartey and Roberts and then we just didn't have the troops.

Yes, this is a fair assessment. If the Bullants had lost a couple of their better players we would have likely run over them.

Not sure about Sinclair. I think the commentary mentioned he was injured..? Such a warrior for the club, I guess Age is the opponent that always beats you in the end.

On a positive note, Rankin definitely showed something. Surprisingly robust for such a slight player, and has good disposal.

mcs
17th April 2022, 07:06 PM
Yes, this is a fair assessment. If the Bullants had lost a couple of their better players we would have likely run over them.

Not sure about Sinclair. I think the commentary mentioned he was injured..? Such a warrior for the club, I guess Age is the opponent that always beats you in the end.

On a positive note, Rankin definitely showed something. Surprisingly robust for such a slight player, and has good disposal.

Yep I like the look of Rankin - definitely a lot to work with there. And Sheather continues to impress me with his hard work, good tackling as well. He is continuing to develop along alright.

Bangalore Swans
17th April 2022, 08:06 PM
Is Corey playing at the moment?

goswannies
17th April 2022, 09:52 PM
Is Corey playing at the moment?
Had 14 touches today

ugg
21st April 2022, 02:46 PM
VFL coaches' votes

Sydney 13.7 (85) lost to Northern Bullants 15.14 (104)
9 Jackson Barling (NB)
9 Tom Wilson (NB)
3 Jack Boyd (NB)
3 Ryan Clarke (Syd)
3 Lewis Taylor (Syd)
2 Kyle Dunkley (NB)
1 Jean-Luc Velissaris (NB)

Jackson Barling is a former Swans Academy member and his dad Tim also played for the Swans. I didn't realise he was at the Bullants

Ruck'n'Roll
21st April 2022, 05:32 PM
VFL coaches' votes

Sydney 13.7 (85) lost to Northern Bullants 15.14 (104)
9 Jackson Barling (NB)
9 Tom Wilson (NB)
3 Jack Boyd (NB)
3 Ryan Clarke (Syd)
3 Lewis Taylor (Syd)
2 Kyle Dunkley (NB)
1 Jean-Luc Velissaris (NB)

Jackson Barling is a former Swans Academy member and his dad Tim also played for the Swans. I didn't realise he was at the Bullants

I remember Tim well, we grabbed him from Richmond at the start of the Edelstun era, then buggered up the TPP which ridiculously left him playing local footy. For all the promotional work, our administration was utterly ramshackle back then.

rickmat
21st April 2022, 08:33 PM
Still no report by the Swans or VFL coach on the game last Sunday. Typical. Our reserves are treated like second rate. It would also be good to know how the injured and missing players are. Ho him.

Roadrunner
22nd April 2022, 10:51 AM
Still no report by the Swans or VFL coach on the game last Sunday. Typical. Our reserves are treated like second rate. It would also be good to know how the injured and missing players are. Ho him.

Agreed rickmat- come on Swans Website: lift your game! Supporters need to be fully informed about our VFL team every week without fail. Surely it’s not that hard!

vicswan
22nd April 2022, 11:39 AM
Swan VFL team must be the only team in the VFL comp where there is no information posted by it own club. Social media??. NO information on ,a) game day analysis, b) players form and development, c) positive articles ....its a black hole of information .similar to that of the academy teams ..very poor for us who are interested .its seems that they only post a very short generic article after they win .....

BRS328
22nd April 2022, 11:59 AM
Download the VFL app and you get full coverage including stats, game reports and replays of all VFL games

vicswan
22nd April 2022, 02:34 PM
thats from the afl not from the club .............thats my point

bloodspirit
22nd April 2022, 07:08 PM
We should be much stronger in our next match which is a curtain raiser against the Lions before the senior sides play on 1 May. I expect that Sinclair (quad strain), maybe McAndrew (hamstring), O'Riordan (recovered from eye injury), Amartey, and Roberts (completed concussion protocol thanks to the bye) should hopefully all return for that match. We might even get Fox back too. Looks like Sheldrick may be missing a little longer. With the return of Papley to the senior side the reserves may retain Wicks and Stephens and possibly gain Ronke to boot. All in all having more listed players (assuming no further injuries between now and then) will make a big difference. Then again, the Lions had a very strong reserves team last year (but going less strong this year) so we'll want to be.

Also, I learned today that the decision to omit news about certain players from injury updates can be strategic (as opposed to being due to laziness or incompetence). However, it is hard to explain this rationale when it applies to fringe players who have never been sighted in seniors (e.g. Carruthers last season).

BOC enjoyed his stint up forward. His background in Gaelic football was playing as a forward. However, he expects to continue training and playing as a back for the time being. He is relishing finally getting some proper match practice as a way of improving his footy.

Mills and Cunningham were missing from training today. I don't know why. Hickey is back running and has already progressed beyond straight line running and was practicing change of direction, albeit under controlled conditions - not in match simulation.

- - - Updated - - -

The first bye has come at a good time for us.

ugg
29th April 2022, 06:26 PM
Team to play the Lions. All 4 senior emergencies are named but one will be medi-sub and they usually withhold another emergency as a precaution.

B: O'Connor Gould O'Riordan
HB: Bartholomaeus Melican Taylor
C: Bell Shipley Stephens
HF: Rankin Sheather Anderson
F: Warner Sinclair Wicks
Foll: Amartey Clarke Roberts

Int: Collis Cordell Edwards Hughes Morrison
Emg: Barkley Geddes Laidler Maguire

In: Anderson Bell Edwards O'Connor Sinclair
Out: Barkley Geddes Maguire Pfrengle Rogers

I'm sure no one else cares but I find interesting that Laidler keeps naming himself emergency but doesn't play even when 3 players from the original pull out.

liz
29th April 2022, 07:11 PM
Didn’t BOC play the last game? He was our talk forward line after quarter time.

ugg
29th April 2022, 07:38 PM
Yes you’re right it’s the other Irishman that is an in.

Ruck'n'Roll
29th April 2022, 07:38 PM
Didn’t BOC play the last game? He was our talk forward line after quarter time.

A "talk forward line" would be where so little ball get down our end that the forwards have a chat amongst themselves?

ugg
29th April 2022, 07:42 PM
And here’s the Lions side. 20 listed players (but also all 4 emergencies named) + 1 former AFL player (Buzza) and father-son prospect Ashcroft

VFL Match Preview: Round 6 (https://www.lions.com.au/news/1114094/vfl-match-preview-round)

MattW
29th April 2022, 07:59 PM
And here’s the Lions side. 20 listed players (but also all 4 emergencies named) + 1 former AFL player (Buzza) and father-son prospect Ashcroft

VFL Match Preview: Round 6 (https://www.lions.com.au/news/1114094/vfl-match-preview-round)

Including Mitch Robinson!

I hadn't realised he was falling out of favour.