PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne choke Sydney

sWAns63
24th April 2004, 11:19 PM
Did the Swans suffer from playing too many talls Doyle , Ball & Goodes not to mention Saddington & Hall this was highlighted when Maxfield left the ground & watching the game I didn't see much of Mcveigh was he injured or something.
It seemed to me we didn't have enough runners out there.
Kenelly & Barry weren't getting their usual run out of defence & our kicking for goal was letting us down.The first quarter we looked like top three material but the 2nd & 4th we looked like cellar dwellars.
We need more consistancy

ugg
24th April 2004, 11:31 PM
They just didn't let us run, they pressured us and tackled really well. Kinda like how the Cats played us except they had the forwards to kill us off. Agree with the kicking for goal to an extent, if we had converte some of more those chances in the 3rd.

midaro
24th April 2004, 11:34 PM
We got done by a team that has many quality players.
Don't worry about last years form, its an even year ;)

LRT out for Micky, and try again.
No need to panic.

sWAns63
24th April 2004, 11:35 PM
Did we concede that Neitz would kick a bag of goals tonight we didn't seem to make any moves to quell his impact.

ugg
24th April 2004, 11:36 PM
I think Saddo was on him at some stage in the 2nd half.

Nico
24th April 2004, 11:37 PM
Nothing wrong with the talls as far as I saw. It was simply our inability to win the ball out of the centre when it counted.

Jude Bolton was appalling. Refused to run to a contest, sat back at around the ground stoppages and is so slow it is painful. He was in slow motion all night and got caught almost every time he got it. For goodness sake don't let hoim kick it. It either goes into the man coming towards him or straight up in the air.

Could have been tagged but refused to find a man. You just can't expect Kirk and Williams to do all the hard work at centre bounces. Fosdike looks good on his own but struggles to get the ball first at stoppages.

The midfield let us down badly and gave Melbourne too many easy possessions on the 50 metre line let alone giving Neitz the chance to lead on to kicks where no pressure al all was exerted.

Goodsey. Well we are now trying to get goal of the year every time he is close in. Any chance he might run straight at the goals when loose, and his woeful lairising on the wing in the last quarter just about cost us the game. He should have been best on the ground but for mine made too many unforced errors to get a vote.

Again our kicking into the forward was shizzen. Why do they try the dinky little kick to a player in traffic alah Williams in the last quarter. This happens every week and is becoming nausiating. Other sides kick to the top of the square.

Am I filthy about this loss. Too right I am because we played crappy cute footy tonight and let the 4 points just slip away.

Charlie
24th April 2004, 11:51 PM
Ok. So we're an attacking team.

We are vulnerable, like all attacking teams, to flooding.

The difference, we're vulnerable when they flood our BACKLINE.

Thanks so much Cressa... it's your fault they can work it out now! :eek: :p

sWAns63
24th April 2004, 11:52 PM
What about Nicks to come back in if he's fit & O'loughlin would be a real bonus if he's ready & Ablett back in for Maxfield who probably won't play next week, LRT & Mc Veigh missing next game.
Is it time to move Schneider to the centre & see how he goes

25th April 2004, 12:13 AM
I was listening to the radio and as soon as they hit front in the last quarter, I know we were gone unless Bolton lifted. With Williams and Kirk were tiring of the ball by then, we have nothing left in the tank.

I dont know if it is coincidence but I often found that after Sydney's paper has a feature article on one of our players, the players fades in the following game. May be getting a bit ahead of himself. The club might want to consider a blanket ban on such articles during the season :-).

LRT, McVeigh, etc... are still kids right now and I dont think it is fair to point the finger first to the kids after any loss. The more senior players should bear the first responsibility.

Fosdike is Fosdike, I am never confidence when he got the ball in his hands. For a running player, he needs to improve his disposals enormously.

dendol
25th April 2004, 12:34 AM
Agree that our midfield was poor tonight. Any one have the clearance stats? It was particularly bad that second quarter, which showed on the scoreboard. I definately got lulled into a false sense of security after learning that we are second best to Brisbane in clearances before this game. After Melbourne kicked the first few of the last quarter, I never thought we had a chance to come back. Like the rest of the game, it just didnt look like we were ever going to win clean ball. The Goodes' two dribblers in a row were terrible to watch :(

Mike_B
25th April 2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by midaro
We got done by a team that has many quality players.
Don't worry about last years form, its an even year ;)

As Swansinger said tonight....not only do they only play well ineven years, they only played well in even quarters - 14 of their 17 goals in the 2nd and 4th!

monopoly19
25th April 2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Nico

Goodsey. Well we are now trying to get goal of the year every time he is close in. Any chance he might run straight at the goals when loose, and his woeful lairising on the wing in the last quarter just about cost us the game. He should have been best on the ground but for mine made too many unforced errors to get a vote.

I couldn't believe he missed that goal in the third quarter (I think) when we had some sort of momentum and he was running into an open goal and shanked it. The man frustrates me to no end, as did the entire midfield. I don't know what Williams spent the whole night doing, Maxfield was injured for a lot of the game, Bolton was messy, I never notice Fosdike anyway, Crouch seemed to fumble the ball every time he was near it, Kirk was probably the best of them, but I'm angry that in the 3rd quarter he didn't apply pressure to one of the Demons running in the forward 50 - and a goal was scored. He just seemed to stand off instead of going for the tackle.

Bevan was solid, for a 5-gamer, but the mistakes he was making (kicks not hitting targets) were too common among the guys that are supposed to be standing up. It's is just the most frustrating thing to watch. James was caned, which is disappointing, but I wouldn't say entirely unexpected.

On the positive side, I thought our forwards were very good. At one stage we were 12.1, until Goodes chipped in with 3 behinds (arghhhhhh....) and some other gettable shots were missed.

We had our chances, but didn't take them.

tez
25th April 2004, 01:23 AM
This is one that got away. Too many basic errors resulting
in missed scoring opportunites. Going for the short pass
in the 50 to players already under preasure. Willo is usually
a solid set shot for goal but seems to prefer the short
pass lately which haven't been coming off. Won't say
anything about Goodseys kicking as it speaks for itself.

Mike_B
25th April 2004, 01:24 AM
I think Willo struggles to make the distance from a set shot on 50....on the run I would back him, but on the set shot, I have no issues with him passing it off.

The Boot
25th April 2004, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by monopoly19
A big A-M-E-N to that one brother.
:frown

stellation
25th April 2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by monopoly19

Exactly. Not to belittle Melbourne, because they did punish us in the midfield, but we certainly had the opportunities to win and just failed to convert. And we (and so we should) expect better of our team.

floppinab
25th April 2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by sWAns63
Did the Swans suffer from playing too many talls Doyle , Ball & Goodes not to mention Saddington & Hall this was highlighted when Maxfield left the ground

Didn't think it was that, but I was left confused again as to why Goodes rucked probably 70 odd % of the second half when again it was Doyle that appeared to have the better of White in the first half.
Roos seems to have a fixed idea of his rotations and not too much is going to change them. I'd like to see him be a bit more flexible depending on what is happening during the game.

I noticed an issue with Goodes goalkicking again last week (with the goal of the year being an exception). His general confidence can really go up and down and occasionally he goes a bit mental (that thump on White was just silly). He seems to have a real problem dropping the ball straight onto his boot.

Mike_B
25th April 2004, 10:07 AM
I think Goodes was used primarily at the centre bounce to try and counter White's leap, but one it came to stoppages around the ground, Ball and Doyle were used because the rucking style was more body on body where White's leap was less of a factor.

dendol
25th April 2004, 11:38 AM
Apart from the poor disposals and THAT miss, I thought Goodes played very well around the ground. He made space took some strong marks. On that same note, I think O'Keefe played his best game of the year. Finished with 2 goals, but could have had three, which the umps took off him, and then Hall tried his best to screw it up! Very good leading and strong marking as well. :)

Sid
25th April 2004, 11:47 AM
Few things that let us down:

1. Saddington - he let neitz have everything when he got moved onto him. Kicking out on the full from the back line. I thought last week would have done him good in confidence but obviously not. He had a shocker apart from a few good marks.

2. Our centre clearances was just ridiculous until Goodes started rucking. I think thats what cost us the poor second quarter.

3. Poor disposal, which started from the start of the game. Poor goal kicking towards the end too. We always took a bit too long to get rid of the ball and they applied plenty of pressure on us all the time.

Roosy seemed pretty frustrated i thought. We'll have to get back to the basics at training today. This game was so similar to the one we played against Geelong.

liz
25th April 2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by floppinab

I noticed an issue with Goodes goalkicking again last week (with the goal of the year being an exception). His general confidence can really go up and down and occasionally he goes a bit mental (that thump on White was just silly). He seems to have a real problem dropping the ball straight onto his boot.

His lack of goal-kicking confidence is becoming a real issue. It's not just the ones he's missing but the shots he's refusing even to take. There was the one yesterday where he passed off to Schneider, who was fortunate enough the get the in-the-back free despite the ball not quite carrying to him. Last week there were at least three occasions where he was in prime position to have a shot for goal but instead handballed off to a player under pressure. Schneider and Maxfield were two - can't recall who the other player was - and in each case they were good enough to still slot the ball through but they were tougher shots than the ones Goodes would have had himself. Then there was the one when he kicked the ball onto Kennelly who was in a lot of space and closer to goal, but is a defender and not a noted goal-kicker from set shots. Goodes was in an eminently kickable position himself.

He needs to get this sorted, IMO, because it could start to play on his confidence around the rest of the ground.

Bleed Red Blood
25th April 2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by lizz
His lack of goal-kicking confidence is becoming a real issue. It's not just the ones he's missing but the shots he's refusing even to take. There was the one yesterday where he passed off to Schneider, who was fortunate enough the get the in-the-back free despite the ball not quite carrying to him. Last week there were at least three occasions where he was in prime position to have a shot for goal but instead handballed off to a player under pressure. Schneider and Maxfield were two - can't recall who the other player was - and in each case they were good enough to still slot the ball through but they were tougher shots than the ones Goodes would have had himself. Then there was the one when he kicked the ball onto Kennelly who was in a lot of space and closer to goal, but is a defender and not a noted goal-kicker from set shots. Goodes was in an eminently kickable position himself.

He needs to get this sorted, IMO, because it could start to play on his confidence around the rest of the ground.

Exactly, we heard in the pre-season that he was working on his goalkicking.

That kick to Schneids when Goodesy was closer was a terrible decision and we were very luck to get away with it.

Diego
25th April 2004, 03:00 PM
Adam Goodes is o0ne of the worst kickers of the footy going around.

He hasnt got a good technique and his follow through is pathetic. He really doesnt want to have a set shot and thats a worry. We need plugger there for a few weeks to teach the basics of kicking a sherrin.

A really poor kick for a brownlow medalist..i would maybe say one of the worst. But everything else is perfect...i guess you cant always have it all.

NMWBloods
25th April 2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Diego

He hasnt got a good technique and his follow through is pathetic. He really doesnt want to have a set shot and thats a worry. We need plugger there for a few weeks to teach the basics of kicking a sherrin.

A really poor kick for a brownlow medalist..i would maybe say one of the worst. But everything else is perfect...i guess you cant always have it all.

I have no problem with the general thrust of your comments, and Goodes' kicking for goal was one thing I commented that he needed to work on in pre-season. However, your comments are interesting given that you said just a month ago that we were too fickle here, too many couch experts, too harsh on some players, and various other comments. That does seem a bit hypocritical!

Diego
25th April 2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I have no problem with the general thrust of your comments, and Goodes' kicking for goal was one thing I commented that he needed to work on in pre-season. However, your comments are interesting given that you said just a month ago that we were too fickle here, too many couch experts, too harsh on some players, and various other comments. That does seem a bit hypocritical!

My comments were about Saddo. He was shot at after every game.

I am stating the obvious buddy with Goodes.. ;)

dendol
25th April 2004, 05:52 PM
Its ironic that this lack of confidence in goal kicking is happening to him though, because at the start of the season he was quoted as saying he wanted to be a goal kicker - to influence a game on the scoreboard, not just posessions. Im pretty sure he would be dirty on himself for some of his disposals and running shots at goal last night. He will be doing alot goal practice with Ball methinks!

Nico
25th April 2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Diego

If you look closely, he tends to roll the ball over when he puts ball to boot so he kicks the ball on the wrong end, thus putting the tredectory in a downward motion. he does it coming out of middle and invariably does a scrubby kick.

Also think he lairises at times. His problem when he kicks for goal on the run is that he runs sideways when he kicks rather straight at the goals.

Tooth Fairy
25th April 2004, 08:25 PM
Kennelly looked like he was actually struggling. Didn't seem to have the run he normally has. Perhaps was carrying an injury into the game?

Diego
25th April 2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Tooth Fairy
Kennelly looked like he was actually struggling. Didn't seem to have the run he normally has. Perhaps was carrying an injury into the game?

I noticed this as well. He seems to be a bit down at the moment.

Last week when the song was sung after the roos win, Kennelly did not look happy at all..actually I am sure i saw him just mumbling the words.

Something is on his mind? Maybe Leo Barry cleaning him up really annoyed him? Something is not right.