PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat Ronke thread

MattW
25th April 2022, 10:41 AM
Decent interview quotes with Ronke here: Injuries overcome, wheels are back on the Ronke ride - Injuries overcome, wheels are back on the Ben Ronke ride (https://www.afl.com.au/news/747609).

Gives much credit to Longmire for retaining belief in him. Sounds like he's matured quite a bit.

(Personally, I like player-specific threads; couldn't find one for Ben.)

dejavoodoo44
25th April 2022, 10:45 AM
Decent interview quotes with Ronke here: Injuries overcome, wheels are back on the Ronke ride - Injuries overcome, wheels are back on the Ben Ronke ride (https://www.afl.com.au/news/747609).

Gives much credit to Longmire for retaining belief in him. Sounds like he's matured quite a bit.

(Personally, I like player-specific threads; couldn't find one for Ben.)

Umm, you might want to ignore that I was posting the exact same story, at the exact same time, in a different thread.

MattW
25th April 2022, 10:48 AM
Umm, you might want to ignore that I was posting the exact same story, at the exact same time, in a different thread.

Sorry, I just noticed that too!

dejavoodoo44
25th April 2022, 10:52 AM
Sorry, I just noticed that too!
No, Ben probably deserves his own thread, especially after overcoming stress fractures in his back. Makes me wince thinking about it.

Ruck'n'Roll
25th April 2022, 11:13 AM
The thought of a stress fracture in the back gives me the absolute willies

neilfws
25th April 2022, 01:04 PM
Good article. I wasn't really aware of his injury history and can see now how that would set him back a bit.

I sometimes wonder if that startling third game worked against him in some ways, since it might be viewed as an anomaly rather than an indication of what he can do. I like what I've seen from him this year. Seems very much a "confidence player", so I hope a few good games in a row can build that up and get him to his best.

Industrial Fan
25th April 2022, 04:22 PM
He hasn’t hit the heights that Schneider did in his first season but their arc is perhaps a bit similar. Breakout games then injury / loss of confidence with a slow rebuild to form.

giant
25th April 2022, 06:10 PM
IMHO has jumped Wicks and Bell (and our 13 other small forwards besides Papley and Guilden) in the pecking order. Great to see him finally get a fair old crack at it.

MattW
25th April 2022, 07:20 PM
IMHO has jumped Wicks and Bell (and our 13 other small forwards besides Papley and Guilden) in the pecking order. Great to see him finally get a fair old crack at it.

Absolutely. Clearly best 22 now. Great field kick on both sides and generally an excellent crumming goal scorer. Brings energy and power. So pleased for him.

stevoswan
25th April 2022, 07:37 PM
Paps and Ronke at their best will be a scary prospect for other teams. Ben has certainly passed Wicks in the pecking order and it's really pleasing to see that indeed he is as good as we hoped he would be after his incredible career start.

bloodspirit
25th April 2022, 08:23 PM
The thing about Ronke is that, at his best, he matches Wicks & co for great pressure, and, on top of that, his goal scoring ability far surpasses theirs.

josho
25th April 2022, 08:29 PM
I hope Ronke works out. Like bloodspirit says, he's pretty good around the goals. And he looks really fast, so he should be able to pressure pretty well. Pressure + goalsneak is a perfect combination for a small forward. But he only laid 1 tackle today. Wicks is really good at that. I'm not ready to dump Wicks just yet.

Roadrunner
25th April 2022, 10:12 PM
I hope Ronke works out. Like bloodspirit says, he's pretty good around the goals. And he looks really fast, so he should be able to pressure pretty well. Pressure + goalsneak is a perfect combination for a small forward. But he only laid 1 tackle today. Wicks is really good at that. I'm not ready to dump Wicks just yet.

No need to dump Wicks, Josho- just play him in the twos until he earns his spot. Ben is way ahead at the moment

josho
25th April 2022, 11:08 PM
I dunno. He felt a bit invisible today, until he kicked those late goals. No hate on Ronke, I'm just not convinced yet.

MattW
25th April 2022, 11:18 PM
I dunno. He felt a bit invisible today, until he kicked those late goals. No hate on Ronke, I'm just not convinced yet.

I think he contributed every quarter; stats back that up: 4, 4, 3, 4 disposals quarters 1-4. Much more of a goalscoring threat than Wicks and contributes more to helping other score. Better kick. Agree he needs to keep tackle pressure up.

TheBloods
25th April 2022, 11:21 PM
Done well , shut me up

- - - Updated - - -

What else is a small fwd meant to do ! Not running around off a flank getting the ball given to him all game is he ?

josho
26th April 2022, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I don't want to be too negative. It was a great win yesterday, after all. Ronke is definitely better in attack than Wicks, I wouldn't argue that. As long as they keep winning, I'll be happy!

Bangalore Swans
26th April 2022, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=TheBloods;843285]Done well , shut me up

- - - Updated - - -

What else is a small fwd meant to do ! Not running around off a flank getting the ball given to him all game is he ?[/QUOTE

Exactly my sentiments on Ronke. He was on my delist list a month ago. Now he’s staked his claim for that 2nd small forward spot.

Well done Ronke.

Faunac8
26th April 2022, 08:41 AM
A month is a long time in football. It’s not surprising he has returned to performing so well this season with his confidence pretty high.
Ability rarely disappears with younger players it’s usually confidence or injuries and we know the injury challenges he has faced.
As I have posted previously not too many players kick 7 goals in a game and even less do it at AFL level.
Skill level was never in doubt but the last few years would have challenged his confidence , it seems like the club had the confidence and backed him in to deliver.
Currently you would think that he has an edge over Sam W but only the coaching staff know for sure where he sits.

26th April 2022, 08:46 AM
When he played late last year he looked completely bereft of any idea how to play but as we so often discover, the club knows a lot more than we do.

As I posted in another thread, so good to see Ben sticking his hand up for a best 22 position, it improves the team.

Wicks is still important to the squad.

Markwebbos
26th April 2022, 07:43 PM
Great to see Ronke rediscover some form.

Roadrunner
27th April 2022, 09:25 AM
Great to see Ronke rediscover some form.

Yes, very pleasantly surprised as I too had written him off. Has great pace and his composure has improved with a lift in confidence. Hoping now that his contribution to the team will go from strength to strength as we need multiple avenues to goal if we are to challenge. I’m looking forward to seeing him and a fit Paps buzzing in our forward line- couldn’t imagine it before!

Ludwig
27th April 2022, 02:58 PM
I have probably been his biggest supporter and even I thought this would be his last year. I've often commented that he was very driven to succeed, and this alone could get him through. And this factor probably saved his career. I didn't realise just how bad his injuries were. I'm so pleased that he's come back in such good form this year and hope he gets a good run on the injury front now.

Jimitron5000
27th April 2022, 06:18 PM
I like the way Ronke goes about it - he has an ability to be in the right spot and make things happen, but I have to look away when he is having a set shot at goal.

Ruck'n'Roll
28th April 2022, 04:45 PM
I like the way Ronke goes about it - he has an ability to be in the right spot and make things happen, but I have to look away when he is having a set shot at goal.

He's not the only one, at one stage we were 4.11 weren't me. I mean whose responsible for our goalkicking? Do we have a goalkicking coach? I'm sure it's not it's not Buddy, but gosh the results look like it might be. :-)

Goal Sneak
28th April 2022, 05:50 PM
He's not the only one, at one stage we were 4.11 weren't me. I mean whose responsible for our goalkicking? Do we have a goalkicking coach? I'm sure it's not it's not Buddy, but gosh the results look like it might be. :-)

We were very accurate leading into the Hawks game, so I'm marking that goal kicking down as a one-off, never to be seen again display! (although I did have a moment or two where I thought we were going to repeat our efforts from the final last year against GWS).

Ruck'n'Roll
28th April 2022, 08:35 PM
You are quite right, we were a bit iffy against the Weagles, but other than that very good.

Matty10
28th April 2022, 08:57 PM
It’s a tough role playing as a small forward where you can be starved of opportunity. However, if Ronke can keep playing with the level of energy he has shown each game this year he will likely keep his spot even when the goal kicking opportunities dry up.

When he first burst onto the scene he became a favourite of my young son and we were chanting “we will, we will, Ronke you!” whenever he did something exciting. It might now be time to resurrect that one I think.

Goal Sneak
28th April 2022, 11:33 PM
It’s a tough role playing as a small forward where you can be starved of opportunity. However, if Ronke can keep playing with the level of energy he has shown each game this year he will likely keep his spot even when the goal kicking opportunities dry up.

When he first burst onto the scene he became a favourite of my young son and we were chanting “we will, we will, Ronke you!” whenever he did something exciting. It might now be time to resurrect that one I think.

Good to see you posting Matty10!!

Spot on about being a tough role. The small forward has to make a lot of their own opportunities so it demands that high level energy that Ben's been giving. If he keeps it up the goal kicking opportunities should keep on coming.

Bring back the "We will Ronke you!" chant, he's playing as good as ever!

Matty10
5th May 2022, 06:40 PM
Good to see you posting Matty10!!

Thanks Goal Sneak.

The difficulty that a small forward faces was highlighted this week. Ronke didn’t get a goal in a game for the first time this year and his name was listed by Michael Whiting on AFL.com as a player to be dropped. Whether that view is shared by the match committee remains to be seen but it is interesting that his name was mentioned.

A small forward really needs a goal a week along with numerous pressure acts to be (or feel) safe in the team.

Papley’s return also complicated things for Ronke to some degree. Can they both play in the forward 50 (with Hayward) and the other mids floating down? I hope so, as I think we are a bit tall without them but there are a lot wanting McDonald and Hickey back in while still playing McClean. However, it is also possible that an overcrowded small forward group starve each other of opportunity and play selfish football in response.

barracuda
6th May 2022, 10:53 AM
Thanks Goal Sneak.

The difficulty that a small forward faces was highlighted this week. Ronke didn’t get a goal in a game for the first time this year and his name was listed by Michael Whiting on AFL.com as a player to be dropped. Whether that view is shared by the match committee remains to be seen but it is interesting that his name was mentioned.

A small forward really needs a goal a week along with numerous pressure acts to be (or feel) safe in the team.

Papley’s return also complicated things for Ronke to some degree. Can they both play in the forward 50 (with Hayward) and the other mids floating down? I hope so, as I think we are a bit tall without them but there are a lot wanting McDonald and Hickey back in while still playing McClean. However, it is also possible that an overcrowded small forward group starve each other of opportunity and play selfish football in response.

Good insight. I think papley pretty aggressively controls the deeper forward positions. He tends to start deep and come forward for leads etc. This has the effect of pushing hayward and Ronke up the field.