PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat Buddy 2023 & beyond?

Hotpotato
13th July 2022, 05:11 PM
Will Buddy finally end up at The Giants ?

chalbilto
13th July 2022, 06:10 PM
Possibly, but they have salary cap pressures and would need to cull players. Hopper or Taranto would be handy.

Blood Relative
13th July 2022, 06:32 PM
Will Buddy finally end up at The Giants ?

North Melbourne!

i'm-uninformed2
13th July 2022, 06:45 PM
The Herald Sun reporting on the gap between the Swans offer and the ask from Buddy's camp. $500K vs $7-800K. Suggestion he may go elsewhere blah blah.

We all love the great man, but personally I think our offer is fair given his age, our cap, what he's already earned, etc.

I don't begrudge him asking it, and I sincerely hope he stays, but we have a responsibility to do what's right for the club. The $2-300K difference can force a younger player out next year, or see other contracts back ended and cause problems later when we're trying to resign a lot of talent.

bodgie
13th July 2022, 06:58 PM
Given the sanctions we suffered for getting him ... we pretty much lost 2 years when he was injured at his most expensive ... his game time as to be managed when not 100 percent ... any new injury could end his season ... young player development is being hampered ... it would be an ugly end if he went elsewhere for a few dollars more.

goswannies
13th July 2022, 07:41 PM
With reports that Buddy is contemplating a move away from the Swans because of the disparity between what Franklin is reporting asking ($700-$800k) and what the Swans are reportedly offering ($500k) - exacerbated by Jacinta potentially representing Bud as his agent - I thought this will undoubtedly be a major topic of discussion and probably deserves its own thread.

tlock
13th July 2022, 08:28 PM
Just make a clean break with Bud. Both parties' goals aren't mutually aligned. Bud wants to do what's best for his family which is understandable, Swans needs to prioritise player retention and development.

MattW
13th July 2022, 08:33 PM
Andrew Wu has Pridham quotes which suggest the deal will get done.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/swans-adamant-they-ll-strike-a-new-deal-with-buddy-for-23-20220713-p5b1dz.html

Ruck'n'Roll
13th July 2022, 08:34 PM
The Herald Sun reporting on the gap between the Swans offer and the ask from Buddy's camp. $500K vs $7-800K. Suggestion he may go elsewhere blah blah.

We all love the great man, but personally I think our offer is fair given his age, our cap, what he's already earned, etc.

I don't begrudge him asking it, and I sincerely hope he stays, but we have a responsibility to do what's right for the club. The $2-300K difference can force a younger player out next year, or see other contracts back ended and cause problems later when we're trying to resign a lot of talent.

The money spent on the Bondi Billionaires could have stuffed our club completely for a decade. That we suffered only a remarkably moderate exodus was an extraordinary effort by the Swans.
I also think the $10 Million Dollar Man has done extremely well out of the Swans.
After all that guff about it not being about the money, he's upping the ante again?
If he isn't happy with the opportunity to play another season with the Swans (and at an income that will have no adverse effect on player retention whatsoever) then he should seek opportunities elsewhere. And should he then discover there are no other takers, he should accept our offer or retire.

Auntie.Gerald
13th July 2022, 09:06 PM
im seriously not worried about this situation with Bud

it will be a shame if 2023 is not with us especially given his 34 goals from 14 games at 35yrs of age this season........but we cant break the bank

Nico
13th July 2022, 09:22 PM
Liam Pickering is his manager and true to form goes for the bigger bucks. A couple of people on SEN reckon $500k is a fair offer. How many clubs would pay him 700+K on the chance they might get a year out of him. So he will retire for the sake of $200K?

- - - Updated - - -

LDU
Tarryn Thomas
Jy Simpkin
Zurhaar
Horne-Francis

All those are rated as average. Jy Simpkin maybe.

Ruck'n'Roll
13th July 2022, 09:38 PM
Liam Pickering is his manager and true to form goes for the bigger bucks. A couple of people on SEN reckon $500k is a fair offer. How many clubs would pay him 700+K on the chance they might get a year out of him. So he will retire for the sake of $200K?

- - - Updated - - -

All those are rated as average. Jy Simpkin maybe.

Buddy and Pickers parted ways immediately after he joined the Swans. As Jacinta has now qualified as an agent she may be representing him.

Markwebbos
13th July 2022, 09:46 PM
Robbo in 360 saying we’ve lowballed Buddy to make room for Dusty. Seriously!

Aprilbr
13th July 2022, 09:53 PM
I am feeling a little sad about the prospect of Buddy being retired or elsewhere next season. I can see both sides of this argument. It will be interesting to see how it plays out though. In the meantime, I hope he has a strong finish to 2021. Its in his interest to do so, even if he is looking to leave.

waswan
13th July 2022, 10:14 PM
Will get done, in his interest to get done cos if he is injured before seasons end he is screwed

Nico
13th July 2022, 10:14 PM
Buddy and Pickers parted ways immediately after he joined the Swans. As Jacinta has now qualified as an agent she may be representing him.

Mark Robinson said on 360 that Pickering was doing the negotiations.

Kafka's Ghost
13th July 2022, 10:27 PM

AFL journalism is nothing more than the regurgitation of witless rumours and vacuous thought bubbles.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Ludwig
13th July 2022, 10:30 PM
Mark Robinson said on 360 that Pickering was doing the negotiations.I figure Robbo was pumping Pickers for info on Buddy. Pickers gets annoyed, but realises that Robbo doesn't know that he's no longer Buddy's manager. So leads him down a merry way and leaves Robbo hanging out to dry.

Did I use enough idiotic lingo in that paragraph to justify the post?

Anyway, I can't see him uprooting and leaving Sydney. GWS can afford him. So he takes whatever the offer is or retires. I'm okay with either outcome.

Markwebbos
13th July 2022, 10:49 PM
Robbo also claimed Swans were lowballing Buddy to free up cap space for Dusty!

Ludwig
13th July 2022, 11:07 PM
Robbo also claimed Swans were lowballing Buddy to free up cap space for Dusty! In the peanut brain of Mark Robinson, this makes a lot of sense.

bloodspirit
13th July 2022, 11:12 PM
With reports that Buddy is contemplating a move away from the Swans because of the disparity between what Franklin is reporting asking ($700-$800k) and what the Swans are reportedly offering ($500k) - exacerbated by Jacinta potentially representing Bud as his agent - I thought this will undoubtedly be a major topic of discussion and probably deserves its own thread.

Where are you getting those figures from? The Age article linked by MattW reports quite different figures.

stevoswan
13th July 2022, 11:28 PM

Given the sanctions we suffered for getting him ... we pretty much lost 2 years when he was injured at his most expensive ... his game time as to be managed when not 100 percent ... any new injury could end his season ... young player development is being hampered ... it would be an ugly end if he went elsewhere for a few dollars more.

Go to $600k....surely Bud wants to end his career with us and keep things pure and untainted!

goswannies
14th July 2022, 12:18 AM
Where are you getting those figures from? The Age article linked by MattW reports quite different figures.

Tyson Otto news.com.au

Mark Robinson (FOX) also gave the $700-800k Buddy figure and another FOX article cites the Swans $500k

I suspect - given the Swans have historically don’t discuss contract details - it’s all made-up speculation based on the imaginings of a journo that everyone has run with. I’m content to wait and see. I’ll trust in Bud and the Swans

chalbilto
14th July 2022, 01:02 AM
I believe that Jacinta is his manager so whatever they negotiate it stays in the family. I’d be comfortable if the club agreed to $550-$600k for next season.

Goal Sneak
14th July 2022, 01:46 AM
I believe that Jacinta is his manager so whatever they negotiate it stays in the family. I’d be comfortable if the club agreed to $550-$600k for next season.

It's smart in their position, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen more often with older players negotiating one year deals, especially when there's mutual respect on both sides of the table.

Ruck'n'Roll
14th July 2022, 05:56 AM
I believe that Jacinta is his manager
Yes I read that somewhere too.

- - - Updated - - -

Mark Robinson said on 360 that Pickering was doing the negotiations. There's something odd about Robinson's manner of speech, almost as if he's had a stroke or he's a long term inebriant.

bodgie
14th July 2022, 07:03 AM
She recently completed an AFL layer agent course. Wether that has progressed to managing Franklin?

Aprilbr
14th July 2022, 08:59 AM
Tyson Otto news.com.au

Mark Robinson (FOX) also gave the $700-800k Buddy figure and another FOX article cites the Swans $500k

I suspect - given the Swans have historically don’t discuss contract details - it’s all made-up speculation based on the imaginings of a journo that everyone has run with. I’m content to wait and see. I’ll trust in Bud and the SwansI think the Robbo story has valid sources coming from the Franklin end, probably his Manager. As Robbo said on 360 last night, he does not make these things up. He was pretty firm about the story's validity. His best mate, Jordan Lewis, also seemed to speak in favour of the higher value for Bud on the same program.

I think his camp feel the offer is not reflecting his status in the game and likely return in 2023.

Aprilbr
14th July 2022, 09:04 AM
Talk back sports radio in Melbourne has exploded over this this morning. A lot of differing views eg Cornes saying $500k is fair, others saying $700-750k is more like his market value for next season.

Merdo5555
14th July 2022, 09:11 AM
Odds are this is a leak from Buddy's side to pressure the Swans into upping their offer. If this is the case its very disappointing, I am very happy to prioritize our younger players, Amartey etc then retain Buddy on big dollars.

There is no logical reason for the Swans to leak this and given they are not a club that usually leaks.

The leak is also a sign of a player who is bigger than the team and therefore not aligned with what the Swans want to achieve.

I think this has already backfired spectacularly, perhaps showing Buddy's new manager, yes his wife, is already out of her depth.

Thanks for the time Buddy wish you all the best.

stellation
14th July 2022, 09:51 AM
I have no idea how close to facts the figures being thrown around may be, nor our current salary cap position overall, but on a one year deal the numbers mentioned don't really sound that far apart. I'll trust Pridham when he says this will get done.

KSAS
14th July 2022, 11:34 AM

I posted on another thread that during the pre-season a Richmond mate with a club connection told me Dusty will be Sydney bound at season's end, which I laughed off as it seemed so far fetched at the time.

Last weekend before this Buddy bombshell came out, he told me the Swans have definitely made enquiries about Dusty despite Pridham's denial. GWS had also made enquiries & right now Dusty is more favoured ending up there as RFC are keen to bargain a trade for Taranto/Hopper.

FWIW, I reckon we did make preliminary enquiries about Dusty to find he's definitely not going to be good a fit for us, which explains why Pridham came out hard out with his "we're not interested in Dusty" presser.

I think a deal with Buddy is more likely to get done than not, largely because I think Buddy does have a close affinity with the club and vice versa, with him being a generational player sewn into our club fabric. Only need to see the incredible crowd reaction to his 1000th goal for evidence of this.

I also find it interesting Jordan Lewis is now saying Buddy will command big $$$$ offers from other clubs, when only a month ago on Fox Footy he reckoned Buddy will sign on for around $500k when the topic was raised in a panel discussion with Ben Dixon and Nick Reildwot, who also happen to agree. Can't help thinking Jordan is now trying to help out his mate extract a bigger Swans contract with his media exposure.

Aaron
14th July 2022, 01:22 PM
Tom Harley has commented on the recent report that Lance Franklin could leave the Swans amid frustrations around contract negotiations (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/07/14/swans-ceo-comments-on-lance-franklin-reports-and-dustin-martin-links/).
The above report from SEN clears the Club's position. There may be one very inexperienced member of Buddy's Team to have leaked such information.

Ludwig
14th July 2022, 01:26 PM
I posted on another thread that during the pre-season a Richmond mate with a club connection told me Dusty will be Sydney bound at season's end, which I laughed off as it seemed so far fetched at the time.

Last weekend before this Buddy bombshell came out, he told me the Swans have definitely made enquiries about Dusty despite Pridham's denial. GWS had also made enquiries & right now Dusty is more favoured ending up there as RFC are keen to bargain a trade for Taranto/Hopper.

FWIW, I reckon we did make preliminary enquiries about Dusty to find he's definitely not going to be good a fit for us, which explains why Pridham came out hard out with his "we're not interested in Dusty" presser.

I think a deal with Buddy is more likely to get done than not, largely because I think Buddy does have a close affinity with the club and vice versa, with him being a generational player sewn into our club fabric. Only need to see the incredible crowd reaction to his 1000th goal for evidence of this.

I also find it interesting Jordan Lewis is now saying Buddy will command big $$$$ offers from other clubs, when only a month ago on Fox Footy he reckoned Buddy will sign on for around $500k when the topic was raised in a panel discussion with Ben Dixon and Nick Reildwot, who also happen to agree. Can't help thinking Jordan is now trying to help out his mate extract a bigger Swans contract with his media exposure.
Not based on any information, but only what makes sense to me, is for GWS and RFC to make a deal swapping Dusty for Tarranto/Hopper. It looks like GWS will lose at least one of them and Dusty would be a great draw card for the Giants.

I suppose this thought could be extended to include Buddy to GWS, but agree that Buddy staying at the Swans for something around 500k or so makes the most sense, taking everything into consideration.

waswan
14th July 2022, 01:46 PM
Call it amatuer or whatever but 3 weeks ago 400k was talked about now we are seemingly at 550 600k

Something amatuer has seemed to work

14th July 2022, 02:11 PM
Yes I read that somewhere too.

- - - Updated - - -

There's something odd about Robinson's manner of speech, almost as if he's had a stroke or he's a long term inebriant.The latter probably! Had heart issues requiring hospitalisation last year

14th July 2022, 02:17 PM
Tom Harley has commented on the recent report that Lance Franklin could leave the Swans amid frustrations around contract negotiations (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/07/14/swans-ceo-comments-on-lance-franklin-reports-and-dustin-martin-links/).
The above report from SEN clears the Club's position. There may be one very inexperienced member of Buddy's Team to have leaked such information.

So we can put this Robbo story to bed now that Tom Harley has spoken. Never been much in it I'd suggest. Typical of a lot of the scuttlebutt sprouted by journo's that has it's origins in player managers pumping up their players worth by suggesting other clubs are circling.

Does anyone really think that Buddy would uproot himself for a season for just $100-150k (minus tax) given the nett worth of the Franklins? He would be seen as an ungrateful mercenary and wow, wouldn't the pressure be on him to deliver at a new club and having to deal with new fitness staff - all as a 36yo! How about getting your farewell to one of the great careers at end of next year as a Pie or Dog where you only played half a dozen injury riddled games. Not the way he'd want to go out.

GWS has known salary cap problems so there's no way they can fit in Dusty unless they lose two existing well paid players. If you were GWS, would you take an ageing and risky Dusty at the expense of Taranto and say Hopper? No gain in that move. Again, journo's dreaming stuff up to fill airtime and column inches

14th July 2022, 03:51 PM
So we can put this Robbo story to bed now that Tom Harley has spoken. Never been much in it I'd suggest. Typical of a lot of the scuttlebutt sprouted by journo's that has it's origins in player managers pumping up their players worth by suggesting other clubs are circling.

Does anyone really think that Buddy would uproot himself for a season for just $100-150k (minus tax) given the nett worth of the Franklins? He would be seen as an ungrateful mercenary and wow, wouldn't the pressure be on him to deliver at a new club and having to deal with new fitness staff - all as a 36yo! How about getting your farewell to one of the great careers at end of next year as a Pie or Dog where you only played half a dozen injury riddled games. Not the way he'd want to go out.

GWS has known salary cap problems so there's no way they can fit in Dusty unless they lose two existing well paid players. If you were GWS, would you take an ageing and risky Dusty at the expense of Taranto and say Hopper? No gain in that move. Again, journo's dreaming stuff up to fill airtime and column inches

There was a guy named Brererton who ended up like that

Kafka's Ghost
14th July 2022, 04:11 PM
There was a guy named Brererton who ended up like that

But I don’t think we paid him $700,000+ for the privilege. Or the early 90’s equivalent.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Markwebbos
14th July 2022, 04:24 PM
Harley didn’t say it was rubbish. The story has truth to it. But I reckon it’s highly likely a deal will get done

KTigers
14th July 2022, 05:17 PM
Yep, as Harley says there will be very few people involved in the contract discussions. The bigger the numbers, the less people
there are in room.

giant
14th July 2022, 06:59 PM
I have no idea how close to facts the figures being thrown around may be, nor our current salary cap position overall, but on a one year deal the numbers mentioned don't really sound that far apart. I'll trust Pridham when he says this will get done.

Nicely summarises my position as well. I'd find it remarkable that the Swans would even have hinted publicly that he might stay on in 2023 if they hadn't first tested the waters on the type of dollars he might be looking for.

Maltopia
14th July 2022, 08:18 PM
Interview with Jacinta where she hints at options.

Jesinta Franklin drops big hint on Buddy’s future: ‘We’ve got options’ (https://apple.news/AMX_SP8uUTCC-h-25GS0Ecw)

MattW
14th July 2022, 08:38 PM

Jesinta Franklin drops big hint on Buddy’s future: ‘We’ve got options’ (https://apple.news/AMX_SP8uUTCC-h-25GS0Ecw)

I wouldn't characterise it like that. It was a flippant comment in response to a light joke from the host at the end of the interview. It did not at all seem like some intentional 'hint dropping'.

Captain
14th July 2022, 11:49 PM
Time to move on Buddy. Would rather the $500k be spent elsewhere next year.

tlock
14th July 2022, 11:49 PM
Most likely Jacinta was the source of the leaks

bloodspirit
15th July 2022, 10:33 AM
I'm happy to pay him $500K but not $700-800K. The future is the priority. I'll be surprised and disappointed if they don't sort it out.

15th July 2022, 11:34 AM
Most likely Jacinta was the source of the leaks

Based on? Adam Finch is currently his manager.

SwanSand
15th July 2022, 07:46 PM
Based on? Adam Finch is currently his manager.

I wonder if he is more keen on a 2 year contract rather than the money part. If that is the case then it is going to be interesting to see what we are happy with.

Ruck'n'Roll
16th July 2022, 09:31 AM

Aprilbr
16th July 2022, 10:27 AM
I was just listening to Liam Pickering talk on Melbourne radio. He is Buddy's former manager and did the 9-year deal with us back in 2013. He said that the negotiations would never have leaked out under him. He said $700k is fair given Buddy's record of delivering and his drawing power. However, he also said he could understand the Swans' position given their list and salary cap constraints. He went on to say that, if the reported amounts are true and we have an offer at 500k and they want 700k, then a deal should get done. He cannot see Buddy going elsewhere at this stage of his career.

Ruck'n'Roll
16th July 2022, 10:59 AM
He said that the negotiations would never have leaked out under him. . . . . . because those negotiations depended on secrecy.

Hotpotato
16th July 2022, 01:43 PM
The work he’s put into his fitness, I’m guessing Buddy reckons he can easily play for two more years . He loves it.

Agent 86
16th July 2022, 02:47 PM
Go to $600k....surely Bud wants to end his career with us and keep things pure and untainted!

Yes. It’d be a travesty to see him finish career in orange.

Aprilbr
16th July 2022, 02:48 PM
We've already got one former star in Kennedy currently playing arguably one season too many. A two year deal for Buddy would represent a huge risk.

stevoswan
16th July 2022, 05:04 PM

She also said in a HS article that rumours would always bandied about in regard to Buddy's contract and that she and Buddy love living in Sydney.

Go figure....let's just see what unfolds.

Maltopia
16th July 2022, 05:48 PM
She also said in a HS article that rumours would always bandied about in regard to Buddy's contract and that she and Buddy love living in Sydney.

Go figure....let's just see what unfolds.

She said they love living in Sydney “….at the moment”. Could be nothing, but also sounded like they were open to moving.

Markwebbos
16th July 2022, 06:18 PM
I think it’s unfortunate that someone has chosen to conduct negotiations in public like this. It seems purely to put the squeeze on the Swans.

Buddy playing on is about more than $$ for both club and player. I really hope that everyone can rise above the mercenary nature of the current events?

Nico
16th July 2022, 06:27 PM
Robinson got a sniff of something and went for it. Filled up a couple of pages in HUN. Interestingly another journo of the same paper picked up the story the next day. It was simply a cut and paste (reorganised paragraphs) of Robinson's article. Again filled up 2 pages.

Hotpotato
17th July 2022, 01:14 PM
Buddy will remain a Swan.

17th July 2022, 06:13 PM
Buddy will remain a Swan.

He’s badly advised it he doesn’t stay. I’m sure there will be coaching opportunities available to him with the Swans if he stays. Why bite the hand that feeds you!

Ludwig
17th July 2022, 07:42 PM
Why bite the hand that feeds you!
Wait until it stops feeding you. Then bite it!

17th July 2022, 08:24 PM
Wait until it stops feeding you. Then bite it!

Very good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotpotato
17th July 2022, 09:45 PM
He’s been paid v well, then again his drawing power, memberships, merchandising, brand growth he’s brought has been significant.

Ask ANY Sydney-Sider to name a Swans player and of course they will say ‘Buddy’.

It’s still a little while off until they all reply ‘Chaddy’

Meet him somewhere in a $$ region that keeps her happy !

Ruck'n'Roll
18th July 2022, 09:35 AM
Ask ANY Sydney-Sider to name a Swans player and of course they will say ‘Buddy’.

So what? Asking the same question 35 years ago and the answer was Capper, 20 years ago it'd be BigBadBustlingBarryHall. I suspect theire's a difference between awareness raising and actually achieving anything. And when the bulk of the dollarsgoes to the former, the latter suffers.

KSAS
15th May 2023, 10:01 AM
Leigh Montagna on Fox Footy last night suggested the Swans should formerly announce soon this will be Buddy's final season. The idea is that it will take away the focus on Buddy's declining performances and more on celebrating his career as a legend in the remaining games he has left. Bud is near 350 games & 6 goals away from moving into 4th on the all time goal kicking list, both worthy milestones to celebrate.

Roadrunner
16th May 2023, 01:45 PM
Leigh Montagna on Fox Footy last night suggested the Swans should formerly announce soon this will be Buddy's final season. The idea is that it will take away the focus on Buddy's declining performances and more on celebrating his career as a legend in the remaining games he has left. Bud is near 350 games & 6 goals away from moving into 4th on the all time goal kicking list, both worthy milestones to celebrate.

We all know that this is Buddy’s last year- surely he knows it too, so no need for any announcements. The only question is now what’s best for the team- forget milestones as he is a legend already and the team always should come first. He should play out the year if his form warrants it and if it helps the young players- we all love him but it’s clear now that his stellar career really finished last year.

Ruck'n'Roll
16th May 2023, 05:05 PM
"We" know no such thing, less than a week ago we had RWOers aggresively defending Buddy.

Blood Fever
16th May 2023, 06:11 PM
"We" know no such thing, less than a week ago we had RWOers aggresively defending Buddy.

I defended Buddy earning another year, not going beyond this one.

wolftone57
16th May 2023, 06:26 PM
"We" know no such thing, less than a week ago we had RWOers aggresively defending Buddy.He's cooked mate. He could not even beat a very ordinary FB.​

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Roadrunner
16th May 2023, 07:45 PM

I don’t think anyone thought he would play beyond this year- that is all I was saying.

Ruck'n'Roll
18th May 2023, 09:52 AM
Horse says Buddy "was still crucial to the Swans and continued to take the best defender each week" - thereby silencing all the Buddy doubters completely.

KTigers
18th May 2023, 10:37 AM
What Longmire said above is probably true. I haven't totally written Buddy off. He is a champ and will be a proud @@@@.
I think he'll go down swinging (not literally) and may surprise us yet with a few decent hauls. I think we'll miss him when
he's gone. No need to be so harsh on him. Players are a long time retired, I can see why they don't want to let go. It's
not just about money (tho' money affirms to people that they are still contenders), the bloke will like the life of being
a footballer.