PDA

View Full Version : AFLW 2022 Round 2: Sydney Swans v Collingwood 1.10pm Sun 4 Sept, Victoria Park

Meg
4th September 2022, 02:48 AM
This is the second match for our women’s team after their debut last week.

Our number 1 draft pick Montana Ham is out for up to 4 weeks sadly, with the knee injury she sustained last week. Sarah Dargan has been omitted.

Team line-ups:

SYDNEY

B: Alexia Hamilton 30 Genevieve Lawson-Tavan 24
HB: Ella Heads 12 Brenna Tarrant 20 Sofia Hurley 25
C: Molly Eastman 9 Lauren Szigeti 28 Paige Sheppard 4
HF: Rebecca Privitelli 19 Bella Smith 11 Kate Reynolds 34
F: Aliesha Newman 16 Cynthia Hamilton 10
Foll: Ally Morphett 7 Brooke Lochland 1 Aimee Whelan 22
I/C: Alana Woodward 13 Lisa Steane 21 Bridie Kennedy 2 Sarah Ford 3 Sarah Skinner 15

Emerg: Tiarne Cavanagh 27 Kiara Beesley 26 Zoe Hurrell 1

In: Kate Reynolds, Sarah Ford
Out: Sarah Dargan (Omitted), Montana Ham (Injured)

COLLINGWOOD

B: S.Casey 22 S.Livingstone 12
HB: A.Porter 9 L.Butler 23 J.Allen 6
C: S.Chiocci - C 17 J.Lambert 13 S.Rowe 7
HF: A.Sheridan 14 J.Membrey 21 E.James 20
F: S.Frederick 1 T.Brown 26
Foll: A.Downie 30 C.Molloy 2 R.Schleicher 18
I/C: I.Evans 5 E.Chaston 32 L.Brazzale 24 O.Barber 19 M.Cann 25

Emerg: E.Fowler 15 C.Taylor 11 I.Barnett 4

In: S.Rowe, O.Barber, M.Cann
Out: A.Moloney (Injured), I.Barnett (Omitted), S.Sansonetti (HS Protocol)

This is an extract from the preview for the match written by Gemma Bastiani and published on the AFLW site:

“In their first match the Swans started strongly and competed well at the contest but seemed slightly overawed once the heat was applied. Coming out of defence they became predictable, looking to use the corridor more often than not and choosing shallow options when going forward.

The intelligence of Collingwood especially in defence will take advantage of this and really suffocate the new side. To combat this, Sydney needs to be clever in how they make the most of the clearances they do win, and force the Pies to defend one on one, instead of letting them come off and support one another.”

https://www.womens.afl/news/101230/full-r2-preview-huge-test-for-freo-two-clubs-on-the-verge-of-history

Two good pre-match interviews to watch:

Scott Gowans, Coach Sydney Swans AFLW

https://youtu.be/r377y716sdA

Bella Smith (press conference Sept 2) recruited to Sydney after two years with Collingwood AFLW and before that played three seasons with Norwood in the SANFL

https://youtu.be/o6UiXhJolCU

The match can be viewed on Foxtel and Kayo, streamed from the AFL Women’s Official app or the AFL Live Official app, or by using a web browser for womens.afl or AFL.com.au.

mcs
4th September 2022, 02:30 PM
Great first quarter from the team. Can already see they have taken plenty of learnings from last week's debut.

Shame some of the umpiring is as baffling in AFLW as it is in the men's comp!

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

Mel_C
4th September 2022, 02:34 PM
Great first quarter from the team. Can already see they have taken plenty of learnings from last week's debut.

Shame some of the umpiring is as baffling in AFLW as it is in the men's comp!

Agree great first quarter. We just have to improve our kicking going forward.

Also agree the umpiring has been confusing. Our tackling seems to be umpired differently.

Meg
4th September 2022, 02:34 PM
Swans’ women have responded to coach’s direction to up their pressure in the first quarter. Looking good.

End Qu 1 Swans 2.0 12 lead Collingwood 1.2 8

Goal kickers for Swans Aliesha Newman 1 Rebecca Privitelli 1

mcs
4th September 2022, 02:41 PM
Agree great first quarter. We just have to improve our kicking going forward.

Also agree the umpiring has been confusing. Our tackling seems to be umpired differently.Definitely my favourite was when the pies player run about 30 without taking a bounce hahahah!

Meg
4th September 2022, 02:45 PM
Some great tackling by Swans but poor forward entries killing their goal opportunities.

mcs
4th September 2022, 02:55 PM
The effort and endeavour from the team is superb. Really cracking in hard.

Pies just cleaner and better in their ball use, but we are making them work really hard for it.

A lot to like about the improvement on last week already, and the way we clearly are going about trying to play footy.

Meg
4th September 2022, 02:58 PM
Swans’ play became a bit scrappy in second quarter while Pies’ experience and skill emerged. Pies lead by 10 points at half time.

Half time: Swans 2.1 13 Collingwood. 3.5 23

Mel_C
4th September 2022, 03:04 PM
Some great tackling by Swans but poor forward entries killing their goal opportunities.
Yes we really need to work on the forward entries.

Meg
4th September 2022, 03:16 PM
Lol, goal ‘review’ following snap by Pies’ Jordan Membrey, with no review technology, consisted of a longish, earnest discussion between one field umpire and the goal umpire. Result = goal.

Mel_C
4th September 2022, 03:21 PM
We have to stop playing on unless we're in the clear. We're always under pressure and we turn it over. Although from the commentary we're following the coaches instructions.

Meg
4th September 2022, 03:29 PM
Pies getting well on top in 3rd quarter. No addition to Swans’ score.

End 3rd Qu: Swans 2.1 13 Collingwood 4.7 31.

Collingwood lead by 18 points.

Meg
4th September 2022, 03:37 PM
Collingwood on a roll, kicked two goals in the opening minutes of last quarter. Big smile from the goal umpire! [emoji3]

Meg
4th September 2022, 03:42 PM
Lovely mark by Cynthia Hamilton (wearing her Swans head gear) but sadly only resulted in a point.

Meg
4th September 2022, 03:49 PM
Oh groan! Privitelli running into open goal slid ball off side of boot ... [emoji3525]

Meg
4th September 2022, 03:52 PM
Final siren, comprehensive win for Collingwood by 31 points in the end. Could have been more had their accuracy been better. Sadly after a strong first quarter Swans only kicked two points for the rest of the match. Need to work on their forward craft.

Final score: Swans 2.2 14 Collingwood 6.9 45.

mcs
4th September 2022, 04:14 PM
Final siren, comprehensive win for Collingwood by 31 points in the end. Could have been more had their accuracy been better. Sadly after a strong first quarter Swans only kicked two points for the rest of the match. Need to work on their forward craft.

Final score: Swans 2.2 14 Collingwood 6.9 45.

One can not find fault with the effort and intensity - good stuff. But a lot of work to do on our ball use, and as you said Meg forward craft.

Lots of enjoyable moments suggesting a bright future, but a lot of hard work to come.

Definitely going to be a slow burn, but I do not think that is a suprise to anybody.

aardvark
4th September 2022, 04:14 PM
Watching the girls reminded of me of AFLW season 1 when all the teams played like us. I think we'll improve a lot quicker than some of the original teams. If we do the same deal at next years draft as we did this year with Montana and Sophie and the Academy starts to roll out a few youngsters we should see a big improvement in short time. This season is about learning how it works and sorting out who on the current list will make it. Having said that we are a sneaky chance of a win if we play Port or Hawthorn.

Meg
4th September 2022, 04:39 PM
Watching the girls reminded of me of AFLW season 1 when all the teams played like us. I think we'll improve a lot quicker than some of the original teams. If we do the same deal at next years draft as we did this year with Montana and Sophie and the Academy starts to roll out a few youngsters we should see a big improvement in short time. This season is about learning how it works and sorting out who on the current list will make it. Having said that we are a sneaky chance of a win if we play Port or Hawthorn.

Agree with all that. This season will be tough for our women but longer term they have a bright future.