PDA

View Full Version : AFLW Round 8: Sydney Swans v Essendon 3.10pm AEDT Sat 15 Oct 2022 Ikon Park

Meg
14th October 2022, 06:29 PM
Our women head back to Victoria to play Essendon, another expansion side, in Round 8 of the AFLW tomorrow (Saturday).

The Swans are still striving for their first win, while the Bombers are in 12th place on the ladder with two wins (against Hawthorn and WCE).

Scott Gowans has said he is seeing gradual improvement in our team and wants perseverance in the effort and intensity the women have shown. With only three games left in the season he has also promised to try a few new things by playing a little differently this week.

With 10 out of 10 AFLW ‘expert’ tippers expecting an Essendon win, this seems a good approach at the back end of the year.

The game is part of AFLW's Pride Round and the team will wear the Sydney Swans Pride Guernsey, the same design that the men's team have worn the past two AFL Pride Games.

The game will be broadcast LIVE on FOX FOOTY and Kayo, and 7Mate in NSW and QLD

Meg
14th October 2022, 06:38 PM
There are two changes to the side this week, with Zoe Hurrell making her debut and Paige Sheppard returning from illness.

SYDNEY

B: Kiara Beesley, Brenna Tarrant
HB: Ella Heads, Bella Smith, Bridie Kennedy
C: Molly Eastman, Sofia Hurley, Cynthia Hamilton
HF: Sarah Dargan, Rebecca Privitelli, Brooke Lochland
F: Lexi Hamilton, Aliesha Newman
Foll: Ally Morphett, Lauren Szigeti, Montana Ham
Int: Alana Woodward, Lisa Steane, Paige Sheppard, Zoe Hurrell, Sarah Skinner

Emg: Ruby Sargent-Wilson, Sarah Ford, Genevieve Lawson Tavan

IN: Zoe Hurrell (debut), Paige Sheppard
OUT: Maddy Collier (illness), Ruby Sargent-Wilson (omitted)

mcs
15th October 2022, 03:23 PM
Good game of footy so far. If we can find a way to get a bit more of the ball from midfield we are a chance here.

Great for Zoe Hurrell to get a goal with her first possession in her first match :)

mcs
15th October 2022, 03:55 PM
Fantastic first half effort. Thoroughly deserve to be in front at the break and if we can repeat that effort in the 2nd half we are a real chance to get a win today!

bloodspirit
15th October 2022, 04:09 PM
Crossing fingers and toes.

mcs
15th October 2022, 04:17 PM
Oh no :( All that hard work wiped clean in just a few minutes of footy. Need to find a way to get the ball out of the middle.

Mel_C
15th October 2022, 04:25 PM
I think I jinxed us. I'm away so can't watch the match and when I checked the score we were 10 points up. I noticed on the app it is broadcast on radio so I put it on to listen to the game and since then Essendon have scored 2 goals and then just missed another!

We just hit the post ☹.

mcs
15th October 2022, 04:31 PM
That goal at the end is a coach killer.

What a frustrating quarter. Punished by a terrible start with 2 quick goals, and some lack of situational awareness there to cough up two chances right at the end.

Still not convinced by the 'hit the post' either.... but I've accepted the umpiring in the AFLW is as ordinary, baffling and inconsistent as the AFLM competition. The piece of play where the same Bombers player dropped it at least twice, maybe even three times yet got away with it every time summed it up well.

Feels like it'll be tough from here, but be great if we could get an early goal. Irrespective of the result, the effort has been great again today, and starting to see the team put together some really nice sequences of play.

mcs
15th October 2022, 04:52 PM
Sigh. We had our chances in the last quarter but poor decision making at times going forward really hurt us - so disappointing to get so close but not be able to get over the line.

Great effort from the team, and been really impressed by several of our players today, but a bit disappointing as there was a definite chance to get our first win.

I am looking forward to seeing what we can do next season once we've built some more fitness and had a proper pre-season together - I like the style of footy we are trying to play, and we have some very good players in the making. Super impressed with Tarrant today in particular - a really calm head down back and someone we can hopefully build our defence around going forward.

liz
15th October 2022, 05:00 PM
RS nomination for Hurley? She was very good today.

Despite the disappointment in the end, there were some excellent signs of improvement, particularly the ability to string possessions together.

Blood Fever
15th October 2022, 05:07 PM
RS nomination for Hurley? She was very good today.

Despite the disappointment in the end, there were some excellent signs of improvement, particularly the ability to string possessions together.

Huge step forward for first year team!

Nico
15th October 2022, 06:09 PM
Did anyone keep score?

joeykanga
15th October 2022, 06:26 PM
Huge step forward for first year team!
I agree...
You can definitely see the improvement and I think the tinkering with players in different roles found a really good balance today.
Some good things today:
We were able to keep the ball inside fifty for a lot longer albeit to what looked like the scoring end.
There was a variety of really good goals.
Privitelli clever and Hurley ran beautifully into space for a lead up and so Lexie Hamilton.
There were good players all over the park.
I'm not so fixated on results and would have lived for them to win. I think they have an amazing spirit.
The enthusiasm for the first 2 goals where a first gamer in her first kick and a first goaler kicked goals had so much infectious energy.
I think the support is amazing

I noticed Brett Kirk was helping with their training drills this week and to see Harley getting involved from the dugout this game also.

I'll be there for next week's home game against a really impressive opponent in Freo

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone keep score?
Huh - perplexed

aardvark
15th October 2022, 06:43 PM
They started to look like a football team today. So close! Apologies to Paige Shepherd, I didn't rate her but I do now.

Meg
18th October 2022, 12:40 AM
Swans women were so close to their first win, losing by four points 7.2 to Essendon 7.6.

I was unable to watch this match live but have since watched the replay. Such an entertaining game. Our Swans women are really starting to click together, particularly evident in second quarter. Pity about their goalless third quarter which in the end cost them the win, but their intensity and competitiveness in the final quarter right to the siren were terrific. There was much to like.

Scott Gowans has won me, such a great choice for our inaugural AFLW coach. I loved his post-game statements about sticking to their plans not changing their set-up to try to win the match. He is building for the future.

I agree with Liz re Sofia Hurley, who was terrific. We did so well with our first two draft picks this year (Ham & Hurley) both of whom seem set to become stars of the comp.

It’s a real morale boost that both named NSW as their preferred state. In AFLW, players are allowed to nominate for the draft in a specific state. All states then draft from their individual pools.

This recognises that the players are semi-professional and combine work and/or study with their training commitments and playing football. For many players being drafted interstate would cause almost irresolvable problems.

Both Ham and Hurley are Victorians, yet named NSW as their preferred state (though Ham is commuting this year while completing her HSC in Melbourne). Ham has said it was a university and lifestyle choice for her, as she already has her sights set on a specific uni course in Sydney.

If the Swans can build a base of excellence of players who have chosen to move to Sydney, this should be a drawcard for other top interstaters in future years. The Swans partnership with UNSW has large potential to support this for the women who want to study.

I reckon we will have a strong competitive team within the next 5 years, and maybe earlier.

Meg
18th October 2022, 12:44 AM
Three Swans’ players in the coaches’ votes.

VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)

10 Sophie Alexander (ESS)
6 Sofia Hurley (SYD)
6 Madison Prespakis (ESS)
3 Stephanie Cain (ESS)
3 Bonnie Toogood (ESS)
1 Paige Sheppard (SYD)
1 Lexi Hamilton (SYD)

bloodspirit
18th October 2022, 01:21 PM
We have also used other factors to draw players here e.g. offering or finding them employment.

Brooke Lochland cited her desire to be near the beach as one reason she came to Sydney.

Totally agree Ham and Hurley are excellent selections who we are lucky to have recruited. I would say that Cynthia Hamilton, our home-grown talent (from Queanbeyan), is just as good.

aardvark
18th October 2022, 05:02 PM
Apparently the AFL have admitted Molly Eastman's shot for goal in the third quarter was a goal not a point. Swans probably should have won the game.

Meg
18th October 2022, 05:09 PM
Apparently the AFL have admitted Molly Eastman's shot for goal in the third quarter was a goal not a point. Swans probably should have won the game.

[emoji2368]

bloodspirit
18th October 2022, 05:37 PM

!!!!

That sucks! Should have been our first ever win. Would have been Molly's first ever goal. All the players thought it was a goal at the time.

mcs
18th October 2022, 07:05 PM
https://twitter.com/DanielCherny/status/1582242279091503110?t=16s3QFdVtMSnw9WazcNOlA&s=19

Thought it looked clearly a goal watching telecast, but this reverse angle shows it truly was a howler of a call.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

Mel_C
18th October 2022, 07:12 PM
I just saw behind the goal footage of the kick on the news and it clearly went through the goals without hitting the post. It was the same angle the goal umpire would have been standing, so I don't know how she couldn't see it was a goal. The players were certain it was a goal. I was listening to the game on the radio and they called it a goal and were surprised when it was awarded a point.

Thanks for the apology AFL 😏. It most probably cost us our first win.

ootf
18th October 2022, 08:14 PM
The goal umpire involved saw the post wobble (poorly positioned looking along the line, wasn't the first time) and called a behind - unfortunately it was from a defender bumping into it. :-( If you watch the footage, the field umpire initially signals 'goal' then changes on the goal umpire call.
Disappointing for the team given their performance, perhaps last chance for a win this season on Saturday against the Dockers.

As others have mentioned, Triple H (Ham Hurley and Hamilton) looking good - and Paige Sheppard at 160cms doesn't shirk the midfield contests (15 possessions/4 tackles v Bombers).

It will be interesting to see what happens post season. Will the Swans retain a large part of the current squad to build on this year or will there be a major refresh?

mcs
18th October 2022, 09:03 PM
The goal umpire involved saw the post wobble (poorly positioned looking along the line, wasn't the first time) and called a behind - unfortunately it was from a defender bumping into it. :-( If you watch the footage, the field umpire initially signals 'goal' then changes on the goal umpire call.
Disappointing for the team given their performance, perhaps last chance for a win this season on Saturday against the Dockers.

As others have mentioned, Triple H (Ham Hurley and Hamilton) looking good - and Paige Sheppard at 160cms doesn't shirk the midfield contests (15 possessions/4 tackles v Bombers).

It will be interesting to see what happens post season. Will the Swans retain a large part of the current squad to build on this year or will there be a major refresh?

Will be interesting to see what we do. I suspect it will be a case of doing all we can to maintain the main key core (The Triple H + a few others), then refresh some parts from there - but without drastic surgery if we can avoid it.

We seemed to take a strategy of trying to give a lot of players on the fringe 'a chance' in the first season. I suspect the intent there is to find a few diamonds in the rough, recognising not all will pay off or be good enough long term - but noting we can go to the draft to continue to build the core going forward, and we can gradually shape the list around that, while still giving some of those other players a couple of seasons to show whether they can make it or not at the top level.

bloodspirit
19th October 2022, 01:45 AM

Goal-umpiring error cost Swans in loss to Dons: AFL (womens.afl) (https://www.womens.afl/news/110430/goal-umpiring-error-cost-swans-in-loss-to-dons-afl)

Meg
19th October 2022, 06:51 AM
Interesting analysis of the improvements shown by the Swans in Saturday’s game.

“IT HAS been a tough induction to the AFLW for Sydney. ……………. but energy is up in the Swans camp …………… they seem to have turned a corner.’

https://www.womens.afl/news/110426

19th October 2022, 08:31 AM
What a dreadfully amateurish incorrect score call. May well have robbed us of our first victory which was deserved, grrrr

aardvark
19th October 2022, 09:40 AM
Will be interesting to see what we do. I suspect it will be a case of doing all we can to maintain the main key core (The Triple H + a few others), then refresh some parts from there - but without drastic surgery if we can avoid it.

I'm willing to bet we are already talking to the next top Victorian draft picks to see who's interested in Sydney Uni and a unit at the beach, similar to what we did with Hurley and Hams. I also reckon we're in line for a priority pick or two. Our pick one will be of interest to all Vic clubs so a trade might be happening for an A Grader as well. If we manage the next 6 months well I can see us being very competitive next year. Only guessing but we'd be due a few decent players out of the Academy sometime soon I'd reckon.

The Big Cat
19th October 2022, 01:33 PM
Goal-umpiring error cost Swans in loss to Dons: AFL (womens.afl) (https://www.womens.afl/news/110430/goal-umpiring-error-cost-swans-in-loss-to-dons-afl)

Absolute and utter rubbish speculation. It was in the third quarter for goodness sake! The ball would have gone back to the centre and not kicked out. Swans could have lost by ten goals after that. Who knows.

I get frustrated with commentators (and barrackers) that they can't see that one event impacts on the next. Had the kick in question been taken on, or after, the final siren then a result can be safely assumed.

BTW, cricket commentators are the worst. A catch is dropped and the batsmen run a quick single and the new batsman then gets bowled. "He should have two wickets," some idiot commentator yells.

liz
19th October 2022, 01:57 PM
The article doesn’t claim that the mistake cost the Swans victory, merely that it cost them in the game. Which clearly it did. It cost them five points.

As always, however, it is easy to fixate on particularly bad mistakes. (And clearly this was a particularly bad mistake from the goal umpire.) There was another blatant error when Ham wasn’t penalised for a clear cut HTB decision when she was trying to run the ball out of defence. That would have given the Bombers a shot at goal about 30m out. Though I don’t recall how play unfolded after that - ie whether they got a shot in the immediate passage of play anyway.