PDA

View Full Version : General footy chat Round 1: the other games. Here we are again.

dejavoodoo44
16th March 2023, 11:52 AM
With the season starting today, I thought that it was about time that I once again put on display, my collection of petty prejudices, random factoids and half-baked ideas. And what better place to display a few petty prejudices than tonight's "traditional" season opener between Carlton and Richmond.

I mean, usually I'd go for Richmond here, but I'm getting a bit sick of them seemingly treating GWS and Gold Coast as their personal feeder clubs; so I'm going off them. Perhaps a head clash between Taranto and Hopper at the opening bounce, would be an appropriate way to start the game? On the other hand, I do think there could still be more amusement to be had, from another season of Carlton not making the finals. And it does seem a bit odd to me, that while there's been plenty of probably justifiable speculation on whether our grand final thrashing will leave mental scars, there seems a fair bit less speculation on the effects of last season's Carlton choke. I mean, not playing finals since 2013, a team full of high draft picks, a 11-5 record with six rounds to go, then losing five of the last six, to miss the finals by 0.5%. Well, that's got to engender a few thoughts, that they're maybe just not as good as many people seem to think?

The Friday night game should see a packed MCG for the clash between Geelong and Collingwood. I suspect that last year's GF will see me death riding Geelong this season. So, I suppose that it's go Collingwood; even if it does appear to be an away game for them. But hey, no Ginnivan on the field might make it easier for me.
Actually, one good way not to win Millionaire Hot Seat would be, "Hey, Eddie, I haven't seen Jack Ginnivan on the field lately, is he injured?" Although, now that I think of it, a more surefire way not to win, would be, "Hey, Eddie, what's the name of that old mate of yours, the guy that used to wear the gold jacket? Joffa, is it? I haven't seen him for ages. What's he up to these days?"

The first Saturday game is North v West Coast. Hmm, it seems that the general view is that a guy called Harley Reid is the likely number one pick in the 2023 draft. Some of the pundits reckon that he's the next Dustin Martin.

Next up is an interesting match between Port and Brisbane. Port seem to be flying under the radar a bit, while everybody seems to think that Brisbane are top four certainties. I'm not sure that either position is quite right? Yes, Port were a bit disappointing late in the season and they might miss the skills of Karl Amon, but they have plenty of young talent and Horne-Francis might come good. While with Brisbane, yes, I agree that they have had a good off-season: but they've been largely injury free for about the last five seasons and they haven't quite been good enough to make a grand final. So, surely that remarkable run of injury luck has to run out, doesn't it??

Then it's another big game at the G, with the 2021 grand finalists Melbourne and Western Bulldogs. I guess the big interest here centres on the talls of both teams. Assuming that Melbourne pick both Grundy and Gawn; how will that work out? Match made in heaven or one of the partners feeling decidedly unloved? And it's sort of similar for the Bulldogs. How many of Naughton, Ugle-Hagan, Darcy, Bruce, Lobb and English will they try to cram into their team? And will it result in aerial dominance or big blokes dropping marks and spectating as smaller Melbourne defenders rebound at will?

Next up, Gold Coast host us at the former Metricon, now Heritage Bank stadium. Obviously this game will be discussed a lot more on other threads, so I'll just say, danger game.

Sunday opens with GWS hosting Adelaide. I'm curious to see how GWS go this year. Will another offseason of losing high end talent, see them languishing at the lower end of the table? Or will new coach, Kingsley, be able to capitalise on the years of poaching, to form a stronger, us versus them, bond between all the highly gifted players that are still there?

Next up is Hawthorn v Essendon. Many commentators are predicting a Hawthorn wooden spoon. Which could easily eventuate. I mean, if it was twenty years ago, I'd say that their offseason of getting rid of experienced players, was aimed at getting priority picks at the next couple of drafts. Now, I'm sort of wondering if there's any great method in their madness? Let's hope not, as I think we do have a draft pick tied to them, don't we?

And finally, it's St Kilda v Fremantle. Going into last season, I think I would have rated St Kilda a side likely to finish just outside the eight, but who would sometimes be fun to watch. But after the arrival of Ross Lyon, I would have rated them a side likely to finish just outside the eight, but who would be tedious to watch. I say, 'would have', because I've recently seen their injury list. Ugghhh! 14 players on the list, most of them long term, many of them quality. So, if Ross can get them anywhere near the eight, then he's a genius.

Anyway, glad that the footy's back and I hope that I can provide a few laughs or start a few discussions. And I hope that a few people will join in to provide me with a few laughs, or maybe even add some insightful football analysis?

i'm-uninformed2
16th March 2023, 11:59 AM
As always, brilliant - and thanks for reviving for a new season.

And having watched Harley Reid in the u18s final as an under ager last year, I'd almost be happy to see the Swans get the spoon this year (joking). He's going to be that good, it's ridiculous.

dejavoodoo44
16th March 2023, 12:12 PM
As always, brilliant - and thanks for reviving for a new season.

And having watched Harley Reid in the u18s final as an under ager last year, I'd almost be happy to see the Swans get the spoon this year (joking). He's going to be that good, it's ridiculous.

Cheers. Since you're someone who can do both humour and analysis, I'm pleased that you're playing along.

bloodspirit
16th March 2023, 01:39 PM
Thanks deja!

Titus is back too: A highly unhelpful guide to Round One - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself (titusoreily.com) (https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/a-highly-unhelpful-guide-to-round-one2023).

neilfws
16th March 2023, 01:55 PM
Great to have these posts back!

Once again the opening round has snuck up on me. Although, it never really feels real to me until my first live game of the year at the SCG. There's something about the thump of that first bounce, I still get the chills after all these seasons. Happy that our first home outing is in the afternoon too.

dejavoodoo44
16th March 2023, 02:18 PM
Thanks deja!

Titus is back too: A highly unhelpful guide to Round One - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself (titusoreily.com) (https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/a-highly-unhelpful-guide-to-round-one2023).

Ta.

- - - Updated - - -

Great to have these posts back!

Once again the opening round has snuck up on me. Although, it never really feels real to me until my first live game of the year at the SCG. There's something about the thump of that first bounce, I still get the chills after all these seasons. Happy that our first home outing is in the afternoon too.

Ta. Up here, it's around 35°; so it really doesn't feel like AFL season.

neilfws
16th March 2023, 02:34 PM

Same in Sydney today. It's our junior club season launch day on Sunday and the current prediction is 38 °C. The kids will be grabbing their jumpers and an ice block and getting out of there!

Those icy winter mornings can't come soon enough.

i'm-uninformed2
16th March 2023, 05:02 PM
Ta.

- - - Updated - - -

I know right. I'm positively relishing the idea of wearing my thongs to the footy on Saturday night. Wifey, not so keen on that and debating whether it is a bit bogan-ish - but that's the life we lead in the balmy northern rivers, and she loves me anyway.

16th March 2023, 05:05 PM
We have Hawthorn's second and third rounder this draft so we need them to finish as low as possible. 17th would help us and deny them Harley Reid.

Could we see a Harley Reid Cup later in the season between two bottom of the ladder teams, both wanting to lose to claim the number one pick? Carlton won the Kreuser Cup and the following year the Gibbs Cup, but that's a long time ago now.

dejavoodoo44
16th March 2023, 05:15 PM
We have Hawthorn's second and third rounder this draft so we need them to finish as low as possible. 17th would help us and deny them Harley Reid.

Could we see a Harley Reid Cup later in the season between two bottom of the ladder teams, both wanting to lose to claim the number one pick? Carlton won the Kreuser Cup and the following year the Gibbs Cup, but that's a long time
go now.
I was tempted to call the North v West Coast a Harley Reid match, but I thought, no, too early and there is Hawthorn.

dejavoodoo44
16th March 2023, 06:57 PM
I know right. I'm positively relishing the idea of wearing my thongs to the footy on Saturday night. Wifey, not so keen on that and debating whether it is a bit bogan-ish - but that's the life we lead in the balmy northern rivers, and she loves me anyway.

How about thongs, shorts, no shirt and Swans scarf?

i'm-uninformed2
16th March 2023, 08:13 PM
How about thongs, shorts, no shirt and Swans scarf?

That would be very off putting. In this weather, maybe a Swans cap instead of the scarf.

i'm-uninformed2
16th March 2023, 09:55 PM
A draw. Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

bloodspirit
16th March 2023, 09:59 PM
Perfect result! :clap::rofl

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully it undermines Carlton's self-belief. Won't be a massive boost for Richmond either.

neilfws
16th March 2023, 10:03 PM
Blues found a way to drop that one...interesting result in a way I guess, I think that's only the 12th Round 1 draw in V/AFL history.

McKay stays on his feet, Blues probably win it. Little moments.

dejavoodoo44
16th March 2023, 10:16 PM
Perfect result! :clap::rofl

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully it undermines Carlton's self-belief. Won't be a massive boost for Richmond either.
I'm thinking that Carlton to miss the finals by two points might now be a good bet?

KSAS
17th March 2023, 10:34 AM
Last night was the first time since 2011 when a round 1 game was drawn, when we played Melbourne at the MCG (84 points a piece). That would've been Longmire's first game as senior coach if I'm not mistaken?

Found highlights of that match. Noticed Sam Reid & Gary Rohan as the only Swans that day still playing.

Jack Riewoldt now has the record of playing in the most drawn games - 8

liz
17th March 2023, 10:44 AM
Last night was the first time since 2011 when a round 1 game was drawn, when we played Melbourne at the MCG (84 points a piece). That would've been Longmire's first game as senior coach if I'm not mistaken?

Found highlights of that match. Noticed Sam Reid & Gary Rohan as the only Swans that day still playing.

And I think that round marked the introduction of the first "sub" iteration. IIRC, we went in with Mark Seaby as sub, which gave rise to some debate / head-scratching / consternation.

mcs
17th March 2023, 11:12 AM

I remember that game well - was a frustrating afternoon of footy, but a good game. And yes I'm sure we went with Seaby as our first ever sub.

Also - had to laugh this morning when I saw someone suggest both teams should have to sing this after a draw: It's a Draw! - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJtaCryzL20)

KSAS
17th March 2023, 11:20 AM
And I think that round marked the introduction of the first "sub" iteration. IIRC, we went in with Mark Seaby as sub, which gave rise to some debate / head-scratching / consternation.
I also recall Mark Seaby being our first sub, which sounds plausible that it was in this game.

Footnote: Noticed in that game highlights, Lewis Jetta burning off a Melbourne player around the same MCG wing in eerie similar fashion 12 months later in 2012 GF on Rioli.

Ruck'n'Roll
17th March 2023, 12:15 PM
It's great to have the reason starting, but it's so frustrating that the AFL gives the NRL a 2 week head start every year.

Is it that the AFL is clueless or indifferent to the proggress of the game in the Norther States?

Sandridge
17th March 2023, 04:52 PM
Thanks for starting the "other games" thread again this year, deja!

As distasteful as last year's Grand Final was, I still derive great pleasure from knowing we stopped Collingwood from having a chance to take the flag. Hope the Cats smash the Pies tonight!

Hope the Eagles beat Norf.

Will never, ever forget or forgive the injustice of the 2016 GF so hope the Bulldogs get smashed by the Dees and every other team they play this year.

Don't mind either way about the other non-Swans games.

GO YOU MIGHTY BLOODS!!

stevoswan
17th March 2023, 06:48 PM
Also - had to laugh this morning when I saw someone suggest both teams should have to sing this after a draw: It's a Draw! - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJtaCryzL20)

That's brilliant! :rofl

dejavoodoo44
17th March 2023, 07:44 PM
Nice of the Collingwood defence to give Zach Touhy a St Patrick's day gift.

stevoswan
17th March 2023, 08:16 PM
Collingwood.....faux tough.

Mel_C
17th March 2023, 08:21 PM
I'm at the game tonight and I didn't think it was possible but the Collingwood supporters are even more feral. They are so angry! And their lack of knowledge of the rules is laughable.

dejavoodoo44
17th March 2023, 08:32 PM
I'm at the game tonight and I didn't think it was possible but the Collingwood supporters are even more feral. They are so angry! And their lack of knowledge of the rules is laughable.

They seemed a bit upset, when Hill didn't get a high contact free. While I suspect most people watching, would have wondered if he'd been practicing with Ginnivan.

Mel_C
17th March 2023, 09:11 PM
They seemed a bit upset, when Hill didn't get a high contact free. While I suspect most people watching, would have wondered if he'd been practicing with Ginnivan.
Yes their reaction was hilarious. I had forgotten that Ginnivan was suspended and I thought it was him at first.

dejavoodoo44
17th March 2023, 09:19 PM
Yes their reaction was hilarious. I had forgotten that Ginnivan was suspended and I thought it was him at first.

Although, I quite enjoyed their elation, when Darcy Moore ran down Henry.

stevoswan
17th March 2023, 09:24 PM
Jeremy Howe just broke his arm.....and they're not going to replay it "out of respect for all involved". Weird.

Bummer for the fans of the screamer.

Mark26
17th March 2023, 09:26 PM
Jeremy Howe just broke his arm.....and they're not going to replay it "out of respect for all involved". Weird.

Bummer for the fans of the screamer.

I for one am glad they are not replaying it. Looked horrible when he was laying on the ground in agony.

Jimitron5000
17th March 2023, 09:28 PM
I don't need to see people hurting themselves. Well, maybe skateboarders, but not footy injuries.

Mark26
17th March 2023, 09:35 PM
Bit of carnage tonight.

dejavoodoo44
17th March 2023, 09:38 PM
I for one am glad they are not replaying it. Looked horrible when he was laying on the ground in agony.

Yes, his movements suggested that the injury was really grim, so I've no great desire to see his arm snapping.

Although, I suspect that footage is already being uploaded to YouTube, Twitter, TikTok, etc.

stevoswan
17th March 2023, 09:50 PM
I repeat, Collingwood.....faux tough.....and shooting themselves in the foot. Just leave Henry alone you wankers.

- - - Updated - - -

I just missed it initially.....so I was curious. From all accounts it doesn't bare replaying.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, his movements suggested that the injury was really grim, so I've no great desire to see his arm snapping.

Although, I suspect that footage is already being uploaded to YouTube, Twitter, TikTok, etc.

It has, a youtube 'short' but while it's easy to see how it happened, it's really hard to see exactly what happened to his arm. Not very graphic at all....thankfully.

Mark26
17th March 2023, 10:06 PM
Would it be funny or just cruel if there was another draw tonight? Bring it on!

Sandridge
17th March 2023, 10:32 PM
Early days, of course, but i greatly fear that Collingwood are very, very good.

H2F
17th March 2023, 10:35 PM
We were robbed of a great GF

MattW
17th March 2023, 10:57 PM

All the more enjoyable to beat them, per last year.

dejavoodoo44
17th March 2023, 11:23 PM
Yes, only early, but you'd assume that they're going to be a threat. McRae can obviously coach. They had the pace and the ball skills to run Geelong ragged. It'll be interesting to see how teams try to counteract their run. Clogging the centre? More tagging?

RogueSwan
18th March 2023, 09:13 AM
An article on the AFL is saying the injury is pretty bad
Teammates were left distressed when they saw bone protruding from Howe’s arm ...
https://www.afl.com.au/news/883462/update-pie-in-hospital-with-fractured-arm-cats-star-doubtful

bloodspirit
18th March 2023, 10:09 AM
I would have enjoyed another draw but ultimately I think I preferred Collingwood winning to Geelong. So no complaints from me about results so far this round.

Mark26
18th March 2023, 10:19 AM
I would have enjoyed another draw but ultimately I think I preferred Collingwood winning to Geelong. So no complaints from me about results so far this round.

Let's hope all teams bring the heat against the reigning premiers ... as they should.

Kafka's Ghost
18th March 2023, 03:15 PM
North v. Weagles surprisingly entertaining.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

dejavoodoo44
18th March 2023, 05:36 PM
I wonder if Rioli will get mark of the week, for something that probably wasn't quite a mark? Still, nice effort though.

Mel_C
18th March 2023, 06:19 PM
Although, I quite enjoyed their elation, when Darcy Moore ran down Henry.
Yes they were frothing at the mouth every time Henry got the ball. Their reaction to the Moore tackle was like they had won the premiership. It reminded me of our reaction to the Rampe tackle in the Collingwood game last year.

bloodspirit
18th March 2023, 06:49 PM
So far I'm loving the results this round. Glad to season North beat the Eagles - it improves the chances of Hawks finishing low. And I'm delighted to see Port digging deep against the Lions. Let the good results continue tonight!

Sandridge
18th March 2023, 06:59 PM
Power giving the Lions an absolute thrashing!

stevoswan
18th March 2023, 07:06 PM
Power giving the Lions an absolute thrashing!

Just saw that....very weird! Maybe the Lions believe their own press and got ahead of themselves. They looked so good in the pre-season.

bloodspirit
18th March 2023, 07:14 PM
How can this be happening?? I'm sure it's universally agreed that Lions won the off-season and improved their team the most. They got Dunkley, Ashcroft and Gunston. They're meant to be winning.

Did someone forget to tell Port? Does this mean that recruiting in name players isn't a sure-fire route to success? That there might be other ways of improving a team than by new recruits? Or does it mean that Fagan is useless? Or that Kinkley is brilliant?

So much to ponder!

stevoswan
18th March 2023, 07:46 PM
Looks like #freekickbulldogs is STILL a thing.....and #nofreestothebulldogsopponents. Sheese....when will it end?!

Mark26
18th March 2023, 09:14 PM
It's good to see the Dees are still in front. Can't stand the Dogs.

Sandridge
18th March 2023, 10:08 PM
The Dees have well and truly put the Poodles to sleep!! Woo hoo!!

Nico
19th March 2023, 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=stevoswan;862765]Looks like #freekickbulldogs is STILL a thing.....and #nofreestothebulldogsopponents. Sheese....when will it end?![/QUOTE

AFL app says free kick count was 22 -13 in Melbourne's favour. The Footy Live app says the same.

bloodspirit
19th March 2023, 10:53 AM
As I've mentioned, I'm pretty pleased with results so far this round. Today I'm hoping for GWS and, dare I say it, Essendon to win. I don't care about Freo and Saints.

liz
19th March 2023, 01:52 PM
How can this be happening?? I'm sure it's universally agreed that Lions won the off-season and improved their team the most. They got Dunkley, Ashcroft and Gunston. They're meant to be winning.

Did someone forget to tell Port? Does this mean that recruiting in name players isn't a sure-fire route to success? That there might be other ways of improving a team than by new recruits? Or does it mean that Fagan is useless? Or that Kinkley is brilliant?

So much to ponder!

I think the Lions have tickets on themselves. Not just this season, with their "new, improved list" but ever since they started to become a good side again. Most of the time they do have the talent to get the results, but I reckon there are times they think it will just happen for them. That Port game was reminiscent of our R1 game against them in 2021: we started very well, they pegged us back by half-time, but when we came again in the second half, they didn't want to work hard enough to stay in the contest.

It's fair to say we surprised the whole footy world with performance that round - no Buddy and the likes of Gulden, McDonald and Warner leading the way. There's less excuse for the Lions to have taken Port lightly. Even though they missed the finals last season, the talent in their squad is well recognised.

bloodspirit
19th March 2023, 04:08 PM
Very special victory by the Giants!! Down 31 points in the third quarter. Heaps of injuries. They were down to two on the bench for pretty much the whole last quarter in sweltering conditions. About 7-8 of them were cramping badly. Haynes had some kind of injury and could barely move around the field. They moved him into the forward 50 so he wouldn't have to move much. He marked about 40-45 out with the Giants holding a slim lead that they looked in grave danger of letting slip as they were completely running out of puff. He repeatedly tried to offload the ball but one time that was called back by the umpires. He wound up having to run in. He decided to take the shot. He put everything into it and kicked truly giving the Giants a healthy buffer of approximately 2 goals but still with over 10 minutes to play. The rest of the game was just desperation. Somehow the Giants held on for a memorable win. Afterwards in interview Toby Greene described it as "the hardest game I've ever played in".

Wow! Got me off my seat - even though I only saw the last quarter. I'm glad they won. Now, with a lot less enthusiasm, I'm going to hope the Bombers beat the Hawks.

Kafka's Ghost
19th March 2023, 04:21 PM
Very special victory by the Giants!! Down 31 points in the third quarter. Heaps of injuries. They were down to two on the bench for pretty much the whole last quarter in sweltering conditions. About 7-8 of them were cramping badly. Haynes had some kind of injury and could barely move around the field. They moved him into the forward 50 so he wouldn't have to move much. He marked about 40-45 out with the Giants holding a slim lead that they looked in grave danger of letting slip as they were completely running out of puff. He repeatedly tried to offload the ball but one time that was called back by the umpires. He wound up having to run in. He decided to take the shot. He put everything into it and kicked truly giving the Giants a healthy buffer of approximately 2 goals but still with over 10 minutes to play. The rest of the game was just desperation. Somehow the Giants held on for a memorable win. Afterwards in interview Toby Greene described it as "the hardest game I've ever played in".

Wow! Got me off my seat - even though I only saw the last quarter. I'm glad they won. Now, with a lot less enthusiasm, I'm going to hope the Bombers beat the Hawks.

Agree, that was a terrific victory by the Giants. Adelaide totally blew their period of dominance (poor kicking, wasteful ball use) and paid the price. Thoroughly enjoyed watching the Giants’ never-say-die effort.
Now watching Bombers v. Hawks; definitely two bottom-four sides, with the Hawks a monty for the Spoon. West Coast might give them a race, but the disposal by both Bombers and Hawthorn is less than ordinary.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

dejavoodoo44
19th March 2023, 04:56 PM
Agree, that was a terrific victory by the Giants. Adelaide totally blew their period of dominance (poor kicking, wasteful ball use) and paid the price. Thoroughly enjoyed watching the Giants’ never-say-die effort.
Now watching Bombers v. Hawks; definitely two bottom-four sides, with the Hawks a monty for the Spoon. West Coast might give them a race, but the disposal by both Bombers and Hawthorn is less than ordinary.

Hawks skills were okay, until Essendon deigned to lay a few tackles. They might be in for a rude shock next week. At half time, Essendon had made 16 tackles; last night we made 84.

dejavoodoo44
19th March 2023, 05:25 PM
Hawthorn need to kick a few goals, otherwise Essendon go top on percentage. Not that whoever is top after round one really matters.

bloodspirit
19th March 2023, 05:50 PM
Yeah, Hawks looking pretty listless and meek. Essendon on top of the ladder.

I hope we can really torch the Hawks next week.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason I'm especially keen for the Hawks to lose is because we hold their second and third round picks. First pick of the second round is usually at least as good as a late first rounder.

dejavoodoo44
19th March 2023, 06:30 PM
Yeah, Hawks looking pretty listless and meek. Essendon on top of the ladder.

I hope we can really torch the Hawks next week.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason I'm especially keen for the Hawks to lose is because we hold their second and third round picks. First pick of the second round is usually at least as good as a late first rounder.
I suspect complacency might be our biggest enemy next week. Some of the defensive efforts of Hawthorn were woeful. I mean, while it's nice that Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti has made a comeback, he hardly looks NTFL fit, let alone AFL fit. So, you really have to wonder what was going wrong with Hawthorn, for them to allow him an uncontested mark in the forward fifty, around twenty metres in the clear.

Nico
19th March 2023, 06:34 PM
Hawthorn are very pedestrian. They were competitive to half time but simply folded in the second half. They look like they have the wooden spoon in the bag.

Kafka's Ghost
19th March 2023, 06:41 PM
Well, I had to give up on the Sunday afternoon Footython. The St Kilda v. Freo game is so bad, it looks like both squads watched a video on how to play Aussie Rules last week, and have been sent out today for their prac. Truly excruciating. The highlight of this game will be what Titus writes about it tomorrow.

bloodspirit
19th March 2023, 06:50 PM
It's 48-48 now in Freo-Saints and I'm beginning to hope Saints win, probably because they feel like the underdogs.

liz
19th March 2023, 07:20 PM
I just heard Nick Dal Santo ask Mattaes Phillipou if he has learned the words to the song. Huh??? He plays for St Kilda....

dejavoodoo44
19th March 2023, 07:48 PM
I just heard Nick Dal Santo ask Mattaes Phillipou if he has learned the words to the song. Huh??? He plays for St Kilda....

[I Simpson] Homer + Lisa - When the Saints Go Over There (Sub Ita) - YouTube (https://youtu.be/tpnpr19wGYw)

barry
19th March 2023, 10:14 PM
Whoever plays the Giants next week will get an easy win. They were literally 'cooked'

dejavoodoo44
20th March 2023, 08:35 AM
As someone who didn't go to the game on the weekend, largely because I didn't want to be bombarded by the music of the match day experience, I'm curious to hear from people who went to any of the round one games. Was there blaring music or had the idea been shelved? If still there, was there more or less of it? Had it been toned down at all?

bloodspirit
20th March 2023, 11:10 AM
I didn't go to any matches, but the club have been crystal clear that the music is not going anywhere. [You can ask for the volume to be lowered in your area of the ground if it is too loud.]

chalbilto
20th March 2023, 05:11 PM
I went to game at Metricon and there was plenty of blaring music but as this was the first time I had been to the ground I couldn't compare it to previous times. I don't think that it was as loud as that at the SCG.

Mel_C
20th March 2023, 07:21 PM
As someone who didn't go to the game on the weekend, largely because I didn't want to be bombarded by the music of the match day experience, I'm curious to hear from people who went to any of the round one games. Was there blaring music or had the idea been shelved? If still there, was there more or less of it? Had it been toned down at all?
I went to the MCG Friday night and there was no music played after goals. There generally isn't music played at either the MCG or Marvel, however, in one of the finals at the MCG last year they played music after goals and there was a huge uproar.

Kafka's Ghost
20th March 2023, 07:48 PM

Agree, the music is a MAJOR cause of us attending far fewer games than previously. We’ve changed our seats in the Brewongle Stand to be more or less under the speakers, rather than right in front of them. We were there for the Preliminary Final, and it was somewhat less excruciating as the music went over us, instead of right in our faces. Anyway, we’ll give it a go. If it’s still painfully loud we’ll be downgrading our membership tier, as in this day and age going to the footy is an expensive business.

dejavoodoo44
20th March 2023, 08:57 PM
I went to the MCG Friday night and there was no music played after goals. There generally isn't music played at either the MCG or Marvel, however, in one of the finals at the MCG last year they played music after goals and there was a huge uproar.
Yeah, that's one of the main reasons why I asked, as I vaguely remembered the AFL backing down after the uproar late last season. Hopefully they'll have a rethink in the Northern states.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree, the music is a MAJOR cause of us attending far fewer games than previously. We’ve changed our seats in the Brewongle Stand to be more or less under the speakers, rather than right in front of them. We were there for the Preliminary Final, and it was somewhat less excruciating as the music went over us, instead of right in our faces. Anyway, we’ll give it a go. If it’s still painfully loud we’ll be downgrading our membership tier, as in this day and age going to the footy is an expensive business.

And I suspect that it's also a major cause of complaints to the relevant authorities.

i'm-uninformed2
20th March 2023, 09:03 PM
Not sure I noticed at Metricon. Whether that’s cause I didn’t care or it wasn’t played, honestly, I’ve gone blank. But if it did, it didn’t bother me.

KTigers
21st March 2023, 04:07 AM

Yes, we went and I don't think I've ever seen a game played in conditions like that. Big turnaround in the second half when
Coniglio, Ward and Tom Green got on top in the midfield. Coniglio was brilliant and making Toby the sole captain may prove
a good thing for him (Cogs) as he can concentrate on playing footy. Be interesting to see how the Giants recover though.
Playing in those conditions cannot be good for anyone.

Ruck'n'Roll
21st March 2023, 06:17 AM
The Giants home ground has lights, so I can't understand why they'd not schedule any March games for the evening.

Kafka's Ghost
21st March 2023, 07:01 AM
The Giants home ground has lights, so I can't understand why they'd not schedule any March games for the evening.

TV rights + money = no sense (as opposed to lots of cents) whatsoever.

Aaron
21st March 2023, 01:35 PM
Only about 7 thousand fans turned up for the Giants' game on Sunday.

Ruck'n'Roll
21st March 2023, 04:39 PM
I'm not a GWS fan but I do attend the occasional Giants game (I have to because the Swans have excluded me too - see above bloodspirit), but at 38 degrees there is no way I'd have shown up on Sunday.