PDA

View Full Version : General footy chat Round 15: the other games. The winter solstice round.

dejavoodoo44
22nd June 2023, 07:03 PM
I was going to write of how being the shortest day of the year, then things can only get brighter from here; but I'm not sure if that's the case? I mean, if we lose to West Coast, then I think that things might get a whole lot worse, very quickly. Although it might end being something of a solstice festival feel, when many of our more disgruntled fans set fire to whatever wood that they can find at the SCG. Actually, is there still anything wooden at the SCG*? Hmm, perhaps they'll have to make do with a few pitiful bonfires, made up of unsold AFL Records and used take away food boxes.

Anyway, other games. The round starts tonight at the Cattery, with Geelong hosting Melbourne. I'm sort of hoping that Melbourne put Geelong further into trouble. Though it's a bit strange how a bear no ill will towards Melbourne for their 2021 premiership, but plenty of ill will towards Geelong for their 2022 triumph. I'm trying to think of a reason for that, but really, nothing's coming to me?

The Friday night clash is between St Kilda and Brisbane. If I'm still contemplating a finals appearance for us, then I suppose a Brisbane is a more useful result. So, go the Lions.

The first Saturday game is the aforementioned match between us and West Coast, and then the night game is between Fremantle and Essendon. Which is a game that I have virtually no interest in. I can't even work out which result would be better for our very slim finals chances? Perhaps if the AFL was inspired by today's Dark @@@@ nude swim and had the players take the field naked, with a few painted-on tribal markings for identification, then I might be more interested? Then again, the novelty would probably wear off after a couples of minutes. Once I worked out which players were most likely to claim shrinkage.

The Sunday games involve tough decisions. Collingwood beating Adelaide would be better for us, but I'm really sick of the Collingwood bandwagon. While a Hawthorn win would be better for our finals chances, but a Gold Coast win would be better for our draft picks.

*Peter Ladhams is not a permitted answer to that question.

Sandridge
22nd June 2023, 08:25 PM
Dropping the ball paid against Geelong THREE times in the first 2 minutes of the game!!

Umps must've been reminded of that rule during the week!

dejavoodoo44
22nd June 2023, 08:38 PM
Looks like Rohan has put Cameron our for a couple of weeks. If it was an opposition player, Rohan would probably be looking at a couple of weeks suspension.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully it's not too dire for Cameron.

Mark26
22nd June 2023, 08:40 PM
Looks like Rohan has put Cameron our for a couple of weeks. If it was an opposition player, Rohan would probably be looking at a couple of weeks suspension.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully it's not too dire for Cameron.

Clean KO. They took a long time getting him off the field. Hope for his sake, it's not as bad as it looked.

dejavoodoo44
22nd June 2023, 08:48 PM
Clean KO. They took a long time getting him off the field. Hope for his sake, it's not as bad as it looked.
He was moving his limbs, so it's not the worst case scenario.
Although, I was only half joking with my comment on Rohan being suspended. In that, if it was an opponent being knocked out, there's every likelihood that he would have been suspended, no matter how unintended the hit was, because the AFL often seems to go on result, rather than intent.

Mel_C
22nd June 2023, 08:51 PM
Dropping the ball paid against Geelong THREE times in the first 2 minutes of the game!!

Umps must've been reminded of that rule during the week!
Yes they have been red hot on Geelong. A shame they don't pay it when there is actual prior opportunity.

Mark26
22nd June 2023, 08:53 PM
It's safe to say Cameron won't be taking the field next week. Regardless the Cats look up for it tonight.

dejavoodoo44
22nd June 2023, 08:54 PM
I think Gary got a sympathy mark there. The kick went about 8 metres.

dejavoodoo44
22nd June 2023, 09:26 PM
Glad about that Pickett goal. I was just starting to nod off.

Mark26
22nd June 2023, 09:30 PM
Glad about that Pickett goal. I was just starting to nod off.

It was a beauty. Sign him up for the Socceroos Graham Arnold.

RogueSwan
22nd June 2023, 09:38 PM
Poor Gaz (and Jez) he looked pretty devastated. Understandable

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Sandridge
22nd June 2023, 10:48 PM
Demons folding under Geelong pressure in the last quarter.

Markwebbos
22nd June 2023, 11:59 PM
Let’s hope Wicks wasn’t watching Gaz?

i'm-uninformed2
23rd June 2023, 09:17 AM
The Dees just aren’t the same side without Oliver. Their form line has been average since he’s been out. Reinforces why, in my opinion at least, he’s the best player in the game because he does the most important thing in footy, which is win the ball at the contest and use it well, better than anyone and by a fair margin.

barry
23rd June 2023, 10:35 AM
People are half joking that Garry Rohan could be suspended for that hit on Cameron, if they played for different sides.

Im of the opinion that Garry Rohan should be suspended anyway. It either a dangerous football act or it isnt. I think it is, and suspension is the only way he'll avoid doing it in the future.

dejavoodoo44
23rd June 2023, 11:20 AM
People are half joking that Garry Rohan could be suspended for that hit on Cameron, if they played for different sides.

Im of the opinion that Garry Rohan should be suspended anyway. It either a dangerous football act or it isnt. I think it is, and suspension is the only way he'll avoid doing it in the future.
I wonder if Cameron knows yet that it was Rohan that got him?

"So, what happened, Gaz?"
Dunno, Jez. I think you just fell awkwardly going for a speccy?"

Thunder Shaker
23rd June 2023, 01:24 PM
Although, I was only half joking with my comment on Rohan being suspended. In that, if it was an opponent being knocked out, there's every likelihood that he would have been suspended, no matter how unintended the hit was, because the AFL often seems to go on result, rather than intent.
Rohan's collision with Cameron was discussed on ABC Radio (Melbourne) this morning. The discussion stated that the rules specifically state that a rough conduct charge has to involve an opponent. They contrasted it with striking, where a strike only has to be to another player - so players can be suspended for striking their teammates.

I hope Cameron is OK, and just needs the mandatory 12-game break for a concussion.

liz
23rd June 2023, 02:01 PM
I hope Cameron is OK, and just needs the mandatory 12-game break for a concussion.

It's a twelve game break now? That would mean he could play in the GF were Geelong to make it the long way (ie by playing three finals matches to get there).

Thunder Shaker
23rd June 2023, 02:16 PM
It's a twelve game break now? That would mean he could play in the GF were Geelong to make it the long way (ie by playing three finals matches to get there).
No, I messed that up ... it's a twelve day break.

Though it's easy to get confused when Tom Mc has been out for about 12 games.

Sandridge
23rd June 2023, 10:11 PM
St.Kilda and Brisbane staking their claim for the most boring game of the season.

What is it about Marvel Stadium that produces dull games? Every now and then you get an absolute clinker of a match but they're often lacklustre affairs that are extremely frustrating to watch when you consider the game is played in dry conditions with no wind. Is it the teams that play there?

Thunder Shaker
23rd June 2023, 10:55 PM
St.Kilda and Brisbane staking their claim for the most boring game of the season.

What is it about Marvel Stadium that produces dull games? Every now and then you get an absolute clinker of a match but they're often lacklustre affairs that are extremely frustrating to watch when you consider the game is played in dry conditions with no wind. Is it the teams that play there?
It's probably the dullness of the teams that play home games there.

Fun fact: Sydney has a better winning percentage (60%) at the ground than all of these teams.

24th June 2023, 12:13 AM
It's probably the dullness of the teams that play home games there.

Fun fact: Sydney has a better winning percentage (60%) at the ground than all of these teams.

Even with the Dogs umpiring assistance. Someone on BF put up a table of 2023 goals from frees, no prizes for guessing Fairypups topped the table!

Markwebbos
24th June 2023, 04:48 AM

They’ll bring that in next year. It’s very hard to square the circle and make the head sacrosanct in a full contact sport like AFL

Nico
24th June 2023, 10:10 AM

Maybe it had something to do with Kath from Fox Footy saying the game was being played under "The Lid". Parts of the game reminded me of the infamous draw between us and the Saints at the end of our Eade era. That is still the worst game of footy I have seen.

Sandridge
25th June 2023, 04:03 PM
Crows have come from 5 goals down against Collingwood to be 14 pts up just before 3/4 time!

Unfortunately, couldn't hold on!

Maltopia
25th June 2023, 04:50 PM
Collingwood let off. Dawson bleeding from mouth from head high contact in the forward 50 in the last 10-15 seconds of play that possibly should have been a free kick.

dejavoodoo44
25th June 2023, 05:19 PM
Better for our finals hopes, but I'm getting sick of the Collingwood winning tight games legend growing.

Nico
25th June 2023, 09:04 PM
In the Hun today they had a lift out detailing the top 100 paid players. Not surprisingly the Cats only had 2. The first was at no.80, Tom Stewart on $625,000 to $725,000. At no.83 was Patrick Dangerfield at $600,00 to $700,000. Surely they forgot about Jeremy Cameron and the financially struggling Tom Hawkins.

What a happy duo they must be to be playing for the jumper and the love of the club and their team mates. Poor Tanner Braun must be playing for McDonald's Happy Meals. While these lads are slugging it out on the field their wives and kids must be milking the cows. By the way land down the peninsula is going for $15,000 and acre, and that's near Port Campbell. Goodness knows what land values are in the battling towns of Lorne and Apollo Bay and surrounding areas.

25th June 2023, 09:06 PM
Better for our finals hopes, but I'm getting sick of the Collingwood winning tight games legend growing.

Balances out the Collywobbles in GFs Two flags from 20 appearances - or something like that!

barry
25th June 2023, 11:35 PM
In the Hun today they had a lift out detailing the top 100 paid players. Not surprisingly the Cats only had 2. The first was at no.80, Tom Stewart on $625,000 to $725,000. At no.83 was Patrick Dangerfield at $600,00 to $700,000. Surely they forgot about Jeremy Cameron and the financially struggling Tom Hawkins.

I'm pretty sure the Giants matched the RFA offer for Cameron and it was closer to $900,000

KTigers
26th June 2023, 05:23 AM

What a happy duo they must be to be playing for the jumper and the love of the club and their team mates. Poor Tanner Braun must be playing for McDonald's Happy Meals. While these lads are slugging it out on the field their wives and kids must be milking the cows. By the way land down the peninsula is going for $15,000 and acre, and that's near Port Campbell. Goodness knows what land values are in the battling towns of Lorne and Apollo Bay and surrounding areas.

By giving a salary range, the paper is saying they don't know actually what a player is being paid. These types of lists are
always BS. To know the correct salaries you would have to have access to the AFL files or the ATO records. Which ain't
going to happen.

Maltopia
26th June 2023, 05:59 PM
It seems Jordan Dawson lost teeth in the head high contact in the forward 50 that wasn’t paid. Several posts on Reddit claim this but I can’t find a news article to confirm if it is fact or hyperbole.

Gary Rohan scored 10 Coach’s votes despite taking out one his team’s best players.

stevoswan
26th June 2023, 08:25 PM
It seems Jordan Dawson lost teeth in the head high contact in the forward 50 that wasn’t paid. Several posts on Reddit claim this but I can’t find a news article to confirm if it is fact or hyperbole.

The AFL have now admitted, in the safety of the next day, that Dawson should have received a free....but who is surprised that not one of four umpires could see that free to the interstate team against a Victorian team in the dying seconds of a match with a 2 point margin to the Vic team?:hmmmm2:

chalbilto
26th June 2023, 08:57 PM
The AFL have now admitted, in the safety of the next day, that Dawson should have received a free....but who is surprised that not one of four umpires could see that free to the interstate team against a Victorian team in the dying seconds of a match with a 2 point margin to the Vic team?:hmmmm2:

I think i was last season that Brisbane was denied a free kick in the last seconds in their match against Geelong at Kardinia Park. The umpires have form against interstate teams especially when they are playing against Victorian teams.

Maltopia
27th June 2023, 09:57 PM
Article re inconsistent umpiring in the Crows-Pies game. Not just the Dawson incident.

‘You @@@@@@@ing kidding me?’: AFL got it wrong as Crows seek answers (https://apple.news/AZnMPaA0HSoiHMx44xqV3_w)

Mark26
28th June 2023, 10:08 AM
Article re inconsistent umpiring in the Crows-Pies game. Not just the Dawson incident.

‘You @@@@@@@ing kidding me?’: AFL got it wrong as Crows seek answers (https://apple.news/AZnMPaA0HSoiHMx44xqV3_w)

The angst re: umps has been around for over a century. Just this morning I was reading about unruly crowds in 1918 and anger pouring over the fences at them.

John Worrall of The Australasian says he witnessed an umpire being assaulted by women and boys at a Richmond match.

There were complaints that umpires seemed to forget the rules and were rattled by crowds.

It almost could have been written today. Not much has changed.

stevoswan
28th June 2023, 07:17 PM
The angst re: umps has been around for over a century. Just this morning I was reading about unruly crowds in 1918 and anger pouring over the fences at them.

John Worrall of The Australasian says he witnessed an umpire being assaulted by women and boys at a Richmond match.

There were complaints that umpires seemed to forget the rules and were rattled by crowds.

It almost could have been written today. Not much has changed.

In those days they were all Victorian teams, now there's interstate teams....I think a lot has changed and I think you know what I mean.

Blood Fever
28th June 2023, 08:33 PM
South Australian fans always have a touch of paranoia when it comes to the bigger states.

Mark26
28th June 2023, 08:34 PM
In those days they were all Victorian teams, now there's interstate teams....I think a lot has changed and I think you know what I mean.

No argument on that angle from me Stevo. I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment because interstate teams seem to come off second best. Well ours does anyway.

I was simply amused that umpiring has always been a source of angst. That much isn't new.

stevoswan
29th June 2023, 09:35 PM
No argument on that angle from me Stevo. I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment because interstate teams seem to come off second best. Well ours does anyway.

I was simply amused that umpiring has always been a source of angst. That much isn't new.

Yes, you're right on that.