PDA

View Full Version : AFLW R6 2023: Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide, 5.05pm AEDT Sat 7 Oct Alberton Oval

liz
6th October 2023, 08:07 PM
And so, the season rolls on into its second half. Another game on the road this week, but over the border into South Australia.

Last season our Swannies were demolished by fellow newcomers Port Adelaide, losing by 66 points and only managing to score two measly behinds. Results and form from this season so far suggest this year's encounter should be far more competitive. Port were, last weekend, the first team to fall to West Coast, who we scraped past at Henson Park the previous weekend. So that suggests the teams are quite evenly matched.

There are two team changes this week, with Brooke Lochland succumbing to the injury she suffered against Carlton last Friday, and Julie O'Sullivan losing her spot (which I confess I was a little surprised by - I think she's been a solid contributor so far this season. Maybe the coaches are just trying to rotate as many of the squad through the team as they can.)

Jaide Anthony comes in for her first game of the season, while Mitchell brings a bit more height to defence. Maybe that height difference is what has won Mitchell her place over O'Sullivan.

AFLW Team: Two changes made to face Port Adelaide (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1446904/aflw-team-two-changes-made-to-face-port-adelaide)

Continuing the ground size theme of recent weeks, I've checked out Alberton Oval's dimensions. It is 170m by 125m. That makes it a pretty large ground by AFLW standards. Longer than the SCG and only slightly narrower. Even by ALFM standards, it's not a small ground. So there'll be lots of scope for kicking the ball long tomorrow afternoon!

Alberton Oval (https://www.afl.com.au/news/506513/alberton-oval)

dejavoodoo44
7th October 2023, 05:05 PM
And so, the season rolls on into its second half. Another game on the road this week, but over the border into South Australia.

Last season our Swannies were demolished by fellow newcomers Port Adelaide, losing by 66 points and only managing to score two measly behinds. Results and form from this season so far suggest this year's encounter should be far more competitive. Port were, last weekend, the first team to fall to West Coast, who we scraped past at Henson Park the previous weekend. So that suggests the teams are quite evenly matched.

There are two team changes this week, with Brooke Lochland succumbing to the injury she suffered against Carlton last Friday, and Julie O'Sullivan losing her spot (which I confess I was a little surprised by - I think she's been a solid contributor so far this season. Maybe the coaches are just trying to rotate as many of the squad through the team as they can.)

Jaide Anthony comes in for her first game of the season, while Mitchell brings a bit more height to defence. Maybe that height difference is what has won Mitchell her place over O'Sullivan.

AFLW Team: Two changes made to face Port Adelaide (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1446904/aflw-team-two-changes-made-to-face-port-adelaide)

Continuing the ground size theme of recent weeks, I've checked out Alberton Oval's dimensions. It is 170m by 125m. That makes it a pretty large ground by AFLW standards. Longer than the SCG and only slightly narrower. Even by ALFM standards, it's not a small ground. So there'll be lots of scope for kicking the ball long tomorrow afternoon!

Alberton Oval (https://www.afl.com.au/news/506513/alberton-oval)

After the thrashing of last year, I'm not hugely confident, but recent form suggests that we're in with a chance. And strangely, a win would mean a genuine finals chance. That is, at the end of the round, we would probably only be outside the eight on percentage. Then over the last four rounds, we play teams whose current ladder positions range from 10th to 18th.

longmile
7th October 2023, 05:17 PM
Finally one goes through ... bloody hell

Considering we only managed 2 behinds or something against them last year its amazing how much we have improved in one year!

dejavoodoo44
7th October 2023, 05:18 PM
Nice to get a goal. Been all over them so far.

longmile
7th October 2023, 05:24 PM
Girls look really in sync in the middle of the ground! Smoothest play I've seen from them

dejavoodoo44
7th October 2023, 05:34 PM
Tanya Kennedy is a real find.

- - - Updated - - -

And Bella Smith is showing some promise.

longmile
7th October 2023, 05:41 PM
Port getting a lot of frees

mcs
7th October 2023, 05:49 PM
The umpiring in this game is "interesting" to say the least....

mcs
7th October 2023, 05:52 PM
The umpires really need to get control of this match. They are all over the place and it is reflecting in frustration in the players.

Good arm wrestle of a match - we've had a couple of very slick pieces of play, but again not quite taking full advantage in front of the big sticks.

dejavoodoo44
7th October 2023, 06:00 PM

Yes, and I'm sure that the people next door would have found my loud swearing at the screen "interesting". Hopefully, the occasional shout of "ball!" might be enough for them to realise that I'm just watching football, rather than battling my own personal demons.

liz
7th October 2023, 06:00 PM

I actually think the umpiring has mostly been OK, and the game illustrates why looking at raw free kick numbers is a poor way to judge the umpiring. Port have received considerably more than we have, but that reflects some poor discipline in a few passages of play and our women being caught holding the ball (legitimately) a lot. My only criticism is that if they were going to play HTB against McEvoy in defence in that second quarter when she had no prior and was in the process of kicking as she was tackled (ie making a legitimate attempt to dispose with no prior), there were at least two that should have been paid in our favour - one to Kennedy at half forward near the wing in the first quarter, and one to us in defence early in the second quarter (I can't remember the tackler).

Overall it's a highly entertaining contest. The two teams look quite well matched. Shame Privitelli couldn't convert that last shot at goal.

longmile
7th October 2023, 06:09 PM
Cynthia denied a great goal by her own ambition

dejavoodoo44
7th October 2023, 06:09 PM
About time that they paid a sling tackle.

Mel_C
7th October 2023, 06:17 PM
I've think I've jinxed us. Since I turned it on in the 2nd quarter, it's been all Port Adelaide. We have only scored a behind.

dejavoodoo44
7th October 2023, 06:19 PM
Nasty bounce for Molloy

longmile
7th October 2023, 06:19 PM
I've think I've jinxed us. Since I turned it on in the 2nd quarter, it's been all Port Adelaide. We have only scored a behind.

You're safe now Mel

Mel_C
7th October 2023, 06:20 PM
Piss off bounce! That Molloy kick was going straight through.

Never mind, Hamilton goals!

dejavoodoo44
Cynthia just disproved that theory.

mcs
I actually think the umpiring has mostly been OK, and the game illustrates why looking at raw free kick numbers is a poor way to judge the umpiring. Port have received considerably more than we have, but that reflects some poor discipline in a few passages of play and our women being caught holding the ball (legitimately) a lot. My only criticism is that if they were going to play HTB against McEvoy in defence in that second quarter when she had no prior and was in the process of kicking as she was tackled (ie making a legitimate attempt to dispose with no prior), there were at least two that should have been paid in our favour - one to Kennedy at half forward near the wing in the first quarter, and one to us in defence early in the second quarter (I can't remember the tackler).

Overall it's a highly entertaining contest. The two teams look quite well matched. Shame Privitelli couldn't convert that last shot at goal.My comment had nothing to do with the raw free kick count Liz - completely the opposite.

More the absolute lottery of what was being called one second, then not the next second - as you described an example of in the second part of your comment.

There was a serious lack of consistency in general in the calls in the second quarter.

Sent from my CPH2307 using Tapatalk

longmile
7th October 2023, 06:25 PM
My comment had nothing to do with the raw free kick count Liz - completely the opposite.

More the absolute lottery of what was being called one second, then not the next second - as you described an example of in the second part of your comment.

There was a serious lack of consistency in general in the calls in the second quarter.

The lottery continues but in our favour that quarter

dejavoodoo44
7th October 2023, 06:25 PM
How many times have our players been whacked in the head today?

dejavoodoo44
7th October 2023, 06:30 PM
I wonder if our recruiters had any idea, how much of a ball magnet Gardiner would be? While her disposals can be a bit hit or miss, she really is a perpetual motion machine.

mcs
7th October 2023, 06:31 PM
The lottery continues but in our favour that quarterYep absolutely. Good to see, although I'm sure the locals aren't enjoying it quite so much haha

dejavoodoo44
7th October 2023, 06:36 PM
Handy goal. And I think Cockatoo-Motlap has done something illegal every time that the ball has been near her.

longmile
7th October 2023, 06:42 PM
Most venom I've seen in a Sydney Swans AFLW game

Sandridge
7th October 2023, 06:47 PM
C'mon Bloods!!

dejavoodoo44
7th October 2023, 06:48 PM
Big win. I thought that Port were dishing out the dirt all day.

longmile
7th October 2023, 06:50 PM
Best games from Hurley and Ham I thought

Sandridge
7th October 2023, 06:57 PM
Wow! Win number 3!

The improvement of our team has been phenomenal!

dejavoodoo44
7th October 2023, 07:08 PM
Looks like it's the first time that Ham has played in a Swans win. I thought she had some excellent involvements in the second half.

But really, pretty well all the side played well. Morphett and Gardiner provided plenty of drive. Cynthia Hamilton is getting back to her B & F form. Hurley used the ball in a calm manner, when that was really needed. I love the way that Kennedy goes about it: even though she seems just a little bit scary. Smith was a strong forward target. Molloy had some classy touches. McEvoy had some tough defensive possessions.

Probably a few more that I could single out, but a real solid team performance. Now we are definitely in with a finals chance, especially if a bit more cohesion can be developed when moving the ball rapidly.

Mark26
7th October 2023, 07:46 PM
I was impressed with Heads' tackle on the wing in the fourth. She cut her opponent in half but more importantly, changed momentum with a holding the ball call. She's developing into a strong defender.

Great win by the ladies. I didn't realise that was Montana's first win. There is a lot to like about this young and experienced team. Back to back wins would be awesome next week.

liz
7th October 2023, 07:55 PM
I love the way that Kennedy goes about it: even though she seems just a little bit scary. .

I've commented before to someone that I wouldn't want to meet Kennedy in a dark alley. But watching her out on the field, me on the bench (or today on my sofa), she's just about my favourite Swan right now (amongst the women, at least - Errol sets the bar high).

It makes a huge difference when the team can take contested marks in the forward line. Up to now it seems to have been Privitelli or bust, and good as she is, she loses or drops or is outbodied more than she takes. But Smith is quickly emerging as a real presence in the forward line. And Cynthia was fantastic today. I've been a little disappointed in her this year - actually disappointed is too strong a word, but I thought she was our best in the practice game win against Carlton and so had been hoping for really huge progress from her this year. I was probably a little unrealistic in my expectations, but today showed glimpses of what she is capable of. That run into goal when she forgot to bounce a second time was possibly more exciting even than the two goals she did register.

Hurley has been a quiet achiever all year. And a remarkably consistent one. I wish she'd approach ground/tackle contests with a little more circumspection. Today wasn't the first time she's given away a couple of frees for crude contact in a contest, and she might eventually get one even more wrong and find herself suspended (and/or injure an opponent).

McEvoy has been a solid contributor all year but today was her best. She just put herself in the right spot so many times, especially pressing forward to stop Port rebounding from their defence.

Most exciting and encouraging is how, right across the team, they are now bodying the ball and contest with conviction, rather than trying to track the bouncing ball and getting bamboozled by the unpredictable bounce. It's amazing how often it breaks for a player and allows them to run on to it in a bit of space. This hasn't just improved since last year. It's improved since round 1.

Lastly, I don't know who coaches the midfield group, but whoever it is, can they please take Dean Cox out for a coffee to share some secrets about centre square tactics?

ootf
7th October 2023, 08:17 PM
Last year at Port the Swans were a rabble - worst effort of the season - so it's great to see the turnaround this year.

I'm with you on the Kennedy bandwagon Liz - she'll make errors (couple of HTB, soccering the ball away for 50) but the highlights this week were that contested mark and (separately) the run around the player on the mark to kick accurately into the square for Priv to goal.

Also agree with all your comments - McEvoy was so important today. Thankfully the recruits have all added something - but I'm sure Gardiner has exceeded expectations of the coaching team. The Hamiltons have both been off a bit but there was visible improvement today.

Still plenty of skill errors to work on of course but that's to be expected.

Think Davo does the mids for the girls :-)

Thunder Shaker
7th October 2023, 08:47 PM
The match report mentions finals for the first time that I have seen for Sydney's women's team.

Swans outlast Port to boost finals chances (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1049285/sydney-swans-outlast-port-adelaide-to-boost-aflw-finals-chances)

Ruck'n'Roll
8th October 2023, 01:46 PM
Nice to see Ham get through an increased game time, although sometimes she looked a bit puffed I thought - is that a video misapprehension?

liz
9th October 2023, 08:04 PM
Gardiner and Morphett continue to rack up the coaches' votes after the Round 6 game.

PORT ADELAIDE v SYDNEY

10 Laura Gardiner (SYD)
8 Abbey Dowrick (PORT)
5 Ally Morphett (SYD)
5 Chloe Molloy (SYD)
1 Lucy McEvoy (SYD)
1 Erin Phillips (PORT)

Coaches' votes, R6: Roo moves clear, FIVE perfect 10s (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1051450/coaches-votes-r6-roo-moves-clear-five-perfect-10s)

If the season were to end now, you'd think we'd be almost certainties to have two players in the AA squad. I imagine they - Morphett and Gardiner - are also neck and neck in the B&F count at this stage.

dejavoodoo44
9th October 2023, 09:00 PM
Gardiner and Morphett continue to rack up the coaches' votes after the Round 6 game.

PORT ADELAIDE v SYDNEY

10 Laura Gardiner (SYD)
8 Abbey Dowrick (PORT)
5 Ally Morphett (SYD)
5 Chloe Molloy (SYD)
1 Lucy McEvoy (SYD)
1 Erin Phillips (PORT)

Coaches' votes, R6: Roo moves clear, FIVE perfect 10s (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1051450/coaches-votes-r6-roo-moves-clear-five-perfect-10s)

If the season were to end now, you'd think we'd be almost certainties to have two players in the AA squad. I imagine they - Morphett and Gardiner - are also neck and neck in the B&F count at this stage.
Yes, and at 19 and 20 years of age, respectively, they both should have plenty of improvement in them.

liz
10th October 2023, 10:21 AM
And two Swans made it into Sarah Black's team of the week. There was much deserved recognition for the rock-role played by McEvoy in defence, while Gardiner had to make do with a spot in the interchange.

AFLW Team of the Week, round six (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1051659/aflw-team-of-the-week-round-six)

Ruck'n'Roll
10th October 2023, 10:26 AM
I didn't even know there was an AFLW team of the week.
I'm such a newb

Just a thought, maybe we could do some sort of RWO membership drive at a wans AFLW game?