PDA

View Full Version : AFLW R10 2023: Fremantle v Sydney Swans, 5.05pm EDT Sun 5 Nov Fremantle Oval

Thunder Shaker
5th November 2023, 04:58 PM
Our away fixture against Fremantle is the last match of the home and away season. This means we know how much we need to win by to make the finals.

Richmond have beaten Collingwood by a significant margin, so both of those teams are out of finals contention. That leaves just Sydney and St Kilda vying for the last finals place.

We need to make up a small amount of percentage on St Kilda to overtake them. St Kilda have a 2-point head start on Sydney, plus about another point for every 40 points scored. A four-point win will do the job.

dejavoodoo44
5th November 2023, 05:06 PM
Our away fixture against Fremantle is the last match of the home and away season. This means we know how much we need to win by to make the finals.

Richmond have beaten Collingwood by a significant margin, so both of those teams are out of finals contention. That leaves just Sydney and St Kilda vying for the last finals place.

We need to make up a small amount of percentage on St Kilda to overtake them. St Kilda have a 2-point head start on Sydney, plus about another point for every 40 points scored. A four-point win will do the job.

Yes, and a win of around 20 points would see us jump Essendon into 7th. Although, I'd probably rather finish 8th and face the Suns, rather than the Cats.

dejavoodoo44
5th November 2023, 05:28 PM
I thought that Fremantle started well, but we were able to stem their momentum. Mainly through Gardiner being her usual tireless self around the contests. Molloy did well to make sure that our efforts didn't go to waste: as she often does and which has been very important to our improvement.

stellation
5th November 2023, 05:53 PM
Pretty even game overall, I feel like we’re getting better as the game goes on but that late goal from Freo didn’t help my nerves.

dejavoodoo44
5th November 2023, 05:57 PM
I was sort of hoping that Fremantle would be a bit disinterested, since they can't make the eight. Unfortunately, they've been really desperate and applying plenty of pressure through their tackling and smothering. Consequently, we haven't generated much free flowing movement. Although we've also battled hard and possibly a bit unlucky to be behind.
Hopefully we'll be able to move the ball better in the second half.

stellation
5th November 2023, 06:24 PM
Far out, the Stella household is a bundle of nerves right now. Completely invested!

Tanya Kennedy is the hardest working midfielder in the AFL*

Blood Fever
5th November 2023, 06:24 PM
Tight game. Got lucky with that non goal

dejavoodoo44
5th November 2023, 06:26 PM
Nice to be in front, but I'm not feeling confident yet.

liz
5th November 2023, 06:26 PM
I thought the last half (or so) of the final quarter, way back at NSO in round one, was tense, where we were desperately trying to hang onto the lead for our maiden victory. It's got nothing on this.

And it's quite remarkable that that's the case right at the end of the season.

dejavoodoo44
5th November 2023, 06:39 PM
Kennedy getting a lot of love for the goal assist

Sandridge
5th November 2023, 06:39 PM
C'mon Bloods!! Hang on!!

dejavoodoo44
5th November 2023, 06:40 PM
Think Molloy just booked our finals spot.

Sandridge
5th November 2023, 06:42 PM
C'MON SWANNIES!!!

dejavoodoo44
5th November 2023, 06:48 PM
Hoping for a Dockers score now, as I wouldn't mind going to Carrara next week.

Sandridge
5th November 2023, 06:50 PM
BLOODS-Y MAGNIFICENT!!

dejavoodoo44
5th November 2023, 06:51 PM
So, did anyone expect a finals spot at the start of the season?

stellation
5th November 2023, 06:53 PM
Absolutely ecstatic. Wonderful!

Meg
5th November 2023, 06:54 PM
[emoji95][emoji94][emoji322][emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

liz
5th November 2023, 07:05 PM
Hoping for a Dockers score now, as I wouldn't mind going to Carrara next week.

Remarkable that one behind can have such an effect on percentage. I might have thought about traveling down to KP, but I don't have any interest in going to the Gold Coast.

aardvark
5th November 2023, 07:06 PM
Plenty of tears here. So very proud of these girls.

dejavoodoo44
5th November 2023, 07:13 PM
Remarkable that one behind can have such an effect on percentage. I might have thought about traveling down to KP, but I don't have any interest in going to the Gold Coast.

Oh, the Gold Coast isn't that bad.

dejavoodoo44
5th November 2023, 07:24 PM
Just looking at the AFLW Coaches Votes, after the last published results in Round 8. Gardiner was in third place with 55 votes, behind Anderson of Brisbane with 56 and Garner of North on 61. I thought she was probably BOG today and possibly last week, so I think she's probably gone past Anderson. Unfortunately, I don't think she'll catch Garner, who possibly also has a couple of BOG performances. But still, second is a huge achievement for someone who was bit of an unknown at the start of the season.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looking at the AFLW Coaches Votes, after the last published results in Round 8. Gardiner was in third place with 55 votes, behind Anderson of Brisbane with 56 and Garner of North on 61. I thought she was probably BOG today and possibly last week, so I think she's probably gone past Anderson. Unfortunately, I don't think she'll catch Garner, who possibly also has a couple of BOG performances. But still, second is a huge achievement for someone who was bit of an unknown at the start of the season.

Actually, she was on 56 and Anderson was on 57.

stevoswan
5th November 2023, 07:36 PM
How good were our ladies today? Just brilliant.....certainly made sure of that final finals spot!:clap:

stevoswan
5th November 2023, 07:41 PM
Tight game. Got lucky with that non goal

Just saw the replay of that....shocking decision it has to be said. Amazing that officialdom can be so incompetent at times.

Mel_C
5th November 2023, 07:41 PM
OMG we are playing finals!!! I was just hoping to see our first win...and we won 6!

I wasn't able to watch the match so my brother kept sending me updates. (Interesting fact...we have only lost 1 match when I haven't watched live. That was against Carlton, which we should have won. The bad news is that I will be watching the Final live!)

When my brother said that Freo was incorrectly denied a goal when the ball hit the goal umpire, I thought it was going to be the Adelaide game all over again and we wouldn't hear the end of it. Luckily in the end it didn't matter.

I think it was a good thing that I couldn't watch the game. I would have been so stressed out! I can't wait to see the match and see our reaction to the win. Hopefully there is post match coverage this time !

Blood Fever
5th November 2023, 08:10 PM
OMG we are playing finals!!! I was just hoping to see our first win...and we won 6!

I wasn't able to watch the match so my brother kept sending me updates. (Interesting fact...we have only lost 1 match when I haven't watched live. That was against Carlton, which we should have won. The bad news is that I will be watching the Final live!)

When my brother said that Freo was incorrectly denied a goal when the ball hit the goal umpire, I thought it was going to be the Adelaide game all over again and we wouldn't hear the end of it. Luckily in the end it didn't matter.

I think it was a good thing that I couldn't watch the game. I would have been so stressed out! I can't wait to see the match and see our reaction to the win. Hopefully there is post match coverage this time !

I had something I had to do at 3/4 time so I recorded the last quarter. At 7pm, I checked the result and then revelled in the last quarter.

Meg
5th November 2023, 08:12 PM
WEEK ONE FINALS FIXTURE

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 11

First Qualifying Final
Adelaide v Brisbane, 2.35pm local (3.05pm AEDT), Norwood Oval

[emoji95]First Elimination Final
Gold Coast v [emoji95]Sydney, 6.15pm local (7.15pm AEDT), Heritage Bank Stadium

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 12

Second Elimination Final
Geelong v Essendon, 1.05pm AEDT, GMHBA Stadium

Second Qualifying Final
Melbourne v North Melbourne, 3.05pm AEDT, Ikon Park

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder Shaker
5th November 2023, 08:31 PM
It is a great result to be playing finals after last season's winless season.

It has to be said though that Sydney's fixture was a little soft, with a lot of games against middle teams and only one against a top-four team. If Sydney had played every other team, the number of wins would not be much greater than six (eight wins would be par, but still a good effort).

Top 8 teams played: Brisbane (55-point loss), Geelong (27-point loss).
Top 8 teams not played: Adelaide, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Gold Coast, Essendon.

Bottom 10 teams played: All the sides from 11th to 18th (6 wins, 2 losses).
Bottom 10 teams not played: St Kilda, Richmond.

But to put it more positively, most of the teams 11th to 18th finished there because Sydney defeated them.

This is one reason why I want to see every AFLW team playing every other team once during the home and away season. I understand that may not happen next season. If a complete round robin cannot be fixtured, an alternative is a 12-match season where teams not played are in three bands (1st to 6th, 7th to 12th and 13th to 18th): one team from the same band is not played and two from the others. This creates a 4-4-4 fixture for all teams and is reasonably balanced.

dejavoodoo44
5th November 2023, 08:31 PM
And if we manage to win, we play the loser of Adelaide and Brisbane. Which is a reasonable chance, since Charlie Rowbottom is probably their best player and she will be out injured.

And speaking of injuries, I don't suppose that there's a chance that Ally Morphett could return? I mean, when they said that she'd be out for the season, they might not have been thinking of finals?

Ruck'n'Roll
6th November 2023, 03:25 AM
So, did anyone expect a finals spot at the start of the season?
I was one of the more confident about the women on RWO before the season started, but this is just a phenomenal efforet.
And yes I realise our draw turned out to feature a lot of clubs at the bottom of the ladder, but the women have had a fantastic season so far.
Privitelli is probbly the most dependable shot for goal at the club - she should tutor some of the men.

ootf
6th November 2023, 08:46 AM
Great scenes at the final siren.

Another strong Tanya Kennedy game (eh Liz?) topped off with the kick for the crucial Lochland goal (great to see the players get around her for that). Gardiner so good again, Tarrant too, special mentions for Eliza Vale coming in and doing well and Lisa Steane who put in a strong effort despite a knee issue.

The GC mids will be hard to counter even without CR but let's see what the Swans can come up with.

Cosmic Wizard
6th November 2023, 11:18 AM
I do love how Freo crowd was just 2,271, whilst the week before we had 5,700 at Henson Park.

Strong both on and off the field!

Sandridge
6th November 2023, 04:11 PM
I had something I had to do at 3/4 time so I recorded the last quarter. At 7pm, I checked the result and then revelled in the last quarter.

Would've been a stress-free and very enjoyable watch!

Blood Fever
6th November 2023, 05:41 PM
True. Sometimes do it with the mens team. If we lose, immediately delete!

Just watched women's coach press conference. Impressive, calm guy who appears to have very good communication and people skills.

stevoswan
6th November 2023, 08:21 PM
I do love how Freo crowd was just 2,271, whilst the week before we had 5,700 at Henson Park.

Strong both on and off the field!

Also seemed like a pretty good contingent of Swans fans at the Freo game as well.

Thunder Shaker
7th November 2023, 10:16 AM
I was one of the more confident about the women on RWO before the season started, but this is just a phenomenal efforet.
And yes I realise our draw turned out to feature a lot of clubs at the bottom of the ladder, but the women have had a fantastic season so far.
Privitelli is probbly the most dependable shot for goal at the club - she should tutor some of the men.
I assessed the fixture before the season began with analysis showing that Sydney had some winnable games after the Brisbane game in round 3. I expected Sydney to end 3-7 or 4-6. 6-4 was better than I expected. Games that defied my pre-season expectations with wins: GWS, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood. 50-50 games we won: Fremantle. 50-50 games we lost: Carlton, Hawthorn.

Ruck'n'Roll
10th November 2023, 09:31 PM
I had a somewhat less analytical approach - I just liked what I saw at the SCG practice game very much.