PDA

View Full Version : AFLW EF 2023: Gold Coast Suns v Sydney Swans 7.15pm EDT Sat 11 Nov Heritage Bank Stadium

Meg
11th November 2023, 07:01 PM
One change for this exciting match. Midfielder Paris McCarthy, one of our Irish players, returns from injury to replace Ruby Sargent-Wilson.

The Lions women won a close match over the Crows in the qualifying final earlier today. So let’s spoil the Queensland party with an underdogs win.

Go Swans!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 07:08 PM
On the couch excited and ready to watch our first final.

We have to take all our chances. Pressure is going to be immense.

Let's cause an upset!

dejavoodoo44
11th November 2023, 07:12 PM
Ideal weather for football: clear sky, 22°, light noreasterly breeze, and while there's been a bit of rain over the past couple of days, that should only take the hardness out of the turf, rather than make it heavy.

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 07:25 PM
Yes Privitelli!

Mark26
11th November 2023, 07:27 PM
Pressure is another level. Good goal by Privatelli! She kicks well doesn't she?

- - - Updated - - -

Molloy is a star. Come on Swans!

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 07:27 PM
I love Molloy 🙂!

dejavoodoo44
11th November 2023, 07:28 PM
I love how Molloy usually makes sure that the hard work up the field doesn't go to waste.

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 07:31 PM
Oh no Privitelli doesn't look good. She will be a big loss.

dejavoodoo44
11th November 2023, 07:34 PM
With McEvoy kicking a goal, I'm starting to feel confident.

Mark26
Hope Privatelli is okay. We look on atm. Ham and Molloy look like they are up for it. Good goal by McEvoy.

Mel_C
McEvoy snuck forward to kick a goal. Great play by Molloy again.

Love the pressure by the forwards!

Mark26
11th November 2023, 07:36 PM
Is it just me or is there lots of pushing in the back not being paid?

Blood Fever
11th November 2023, 07:41 PM
Letting a lot go both ways. Great start!

dejavoodoo44
Is it just me or is there lots of pushing in the back not being paid?
I've noticed a few, and luckily the Suns forward dropped the mark, after the unpunished push just before the siren.

Mel_C
McEvoy again!

What a quarter! We couldn't take possession early but since then we have had all the play and the ball has stayed in our forward half.

Our pressure has been incredible. Hopefully we can keep it up.

dejavoodoo44
11th November 2023, 07:43 PM
After the slow start, Gardiner, Hurley, Kennedy and Molloy got right on top in the midfield.

Mark26
11th November 2023, 07:47 PM
We've lost Privatelli. Hopefully we can put four strong quarters together.

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 07:48 PM
Privitelli out of the game. Big loss losing our best forward.

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 07:49 PM
Oh dear both our defenders fell over each other.

Mark26
11th November 2023, 07:50 PM
Well done Hurley. Great kick.

dejavoodoo44
11th November 2023, 07:51 PM
Handy steadier from Newman, after some nice composure from Hurley.

dejavoodoo44
11th November 2023, 07:58 PM
Right over the umpire's hat!

Mark26
Finally Molloy gets a holding the guernsey call. That's the third one I've seen.

Mel_C
Yes margin back to 20.

Mark26
11th November 2023, 08:04 PM
Great pressure by our ladies. Kennedy has impressed me this year.

dejavoodoo44
Nice goal to Whelan, but it was down to the great tackling pressure around the contests.

Mark26
And Heads with the double tackle.

dejavoodoo44
11th November 2023, 08:06 PM
Great pressure by our ladies. Kennedy has impressed me this year.
Kennedy must drive her more vaunted opponents crazy. Get the ball: whack! Get the ball: buried.

Mark26
11th November 2023, 08:08 PM
Kennedy must drive her more vaunted opponents crazy. Get the ball: whack! Get the ball: buried.

This is her first season isn't it? Impressive.

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 08:10 PM
I'm going to repeat myself. Our pressure is amazing. We don't give them an inch.

I loved the goal celebration from Molloy giving it to the Suns supporter being a smartarse.

Blood Fever
11th November 2023, 08:13 PM
Our pressure and tackling are spooking them. Fitness and energy are elite.

Sandridge
11th November 2023, 08:16 PM
This is a phenomenal effort so far! Keep it up Bloods!!

Mark26
11th November 2023, 08:30 PM
This is a phenomenal effort so far! Keep it up Bloods!!
Considering we don't have Ally M or Bec P ... It's incredible. I expected us to be a bit overawed, but they are anything but.

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 08:32 PM
Molloy again! Good move having McEvoy occasionally go forward.

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 08:37 PM
Where's the replay of the hitting the post? I was sure it went through.

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 08:41 PM
Take that off us!! Great smother by Hamilton.

Mark26
11th November 2023, 08:44 PM
One more quarter to go! We have to keep attacking. Hopefully we break the pattern and score the first goal.

dejavoodoo44
85 tackles at three quarter time is impressive.

Thunder Shaker
A very good game so far, aside from losing Privitelli to injury.

Leading by four goals at three-quarter time. Let's bring this home.

Sandridge
11th November 2023, 08:45 PM
C'mon Swannies! One quarter to go! You can do it!!

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 08:49 PM
Don't let the Suns get the first goal of the quarter again.

Mark26
11th November 2023, 08:49 PM
Good to see Rowy, McLean and Mills in the crowd.

dejavoodoo44
11th November 2023, 08:50 PM
McLean, Mills and Rowbottom in the crowd. And I think that was Zac Foot with them? He has been playing for Southport.

Meg
11th November 2023, 08:55 PM
Jesinta Franklin posted on her way to match - so is Buddy there?

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 08:56 PM
We can't get it out of there...it keeps coming back in.

dejavoodoo44
11th November 2023, 08:56 PM
We've passed 100 tackles. Is anyone else being reminded of the early Paul Roos era?

Mark26
11th November 2023, 08:58 PM
Tarrant's got great hands.

Thunder Shaker
11th November 2023, 09:05 PM
Don't let the Suns get the first goal of the quarter again.
Bad news ... the Suns got the first goal of the quarter again.

Good news ... it was with a minute and a half left in the game.

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 09:10 PM
Jesinta Franklin posted on her way to match - so is Buddy there?

I'm surprised they haven't shown him if he is there. To be honest I would be disappointed if he hasn't gone, considering the game is on the Gold Coast. (Assuming he is currently on the Gold Coast).

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 09:12 PM
Bad news ... the Suns got the first goal of the quarter again.

Good news ... it was with a minute and a half left in the game.
Haha yes I was thinking that!

Sandridge
11th November 2023, 09:12 PM
So. Bloody. Fantastic!!!

Mark26
11th November 2023, 09:14 PM
What a game! There was a lot of desperate defending in that final quarter. Such an inspiring win. The evolution of this team in one season is remarkable.

Kafka's Ghost
11th November 2023, 09:14 PM
Great result!!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Blood Fever
11th November 2023, 09:15 PM
We've passed 100 tackles. Is anyone else being reminded of the early Paul Roos era?

Very similar. Absolutely relentless pressure all game.

Meg
11th November 2023, 09:17 PM
How good was that! And without Privitelli early so one down most of match.

dejavoodoo44
11th November 2023, 09:26 PM
Great win, with quality performances right across the ground. Especially in the midfield, with Gardiner, Hurley, Kennedy, and when they were in there, Molloy and Ham, laying the basis for the win with their relentless efforts.

Hotpotato
11th November 2023, 09:27 PM
Terrific win. What a thrill to hear the team song in November.
The rise in skill levels have over 12 months . Awesome.

stevoswan
11th November 2023, 09:47 PM
I forgot the game was on and just saw the result. Go Ladies, what a great win. They have belief and momentum....seriously, anything is possible now!

From what I've seen lately, out ladies play just like our men....full on pressure and never say die. Go Swans!

Mark26
11th November 2023, 09:50 PM
I forgot the game was on and just saw the result. Go Ladies, what a great win. They have belief and momentum....seriously, anything is possible now!

From what I've seen lately, out ladies play just like our men....full on pressure and never say die. Go Swans!

Except the ladies kick straight for goal!

Mel_C
11th November 2023, 11:18 PM
How exciting to win our first final! I can't believe we made finals this year let alone win won.

It has been a dramatic change since that Hawthorn game. We are playing with so much confidence. The pressure we brought today was unbelievable. Tackle after tackle after tackle.

Loved the celebrations after the game. You can see how much it means to the players and staff.

Congratulations to the supporters at the game. You could clearly hear the Syyydneeeyyy chant a number of times through the tv.

Next week against Adelaide will be tough. Bring that same pressure and you never know what can happen.

Meg
12th November 2023, 12:19 AM
Next week against Adelaide will be tough. Bring that same pressure and you never know what can happen.

Agree with both those comments Mel. Tough match. Riding high with confidence & composure, it’s not impossible. Go Swans!

Maltopia
12th November 2023, 03:28 AM
Well done players and coaches for a an amazing result!

That tackling pressure is going to win a lot of games, so optimistic that we can beat the Crows

Thunder Shaker
12th November 2023, 07:45 AM
Indeed it will be. Adelaide will be a real test of our progress.

To be the best, one must beat the best.

liz
12th November 2023, 07:58 AM
I was speechless last night after that result. Truly fabulous effort and execution.

We are not a tall team and I thought Gold Coast's aerial advantage - at both ends of the ground and in the middle - would hurt. It probably did, in the sense that when Gold Coast did get the ball forward, they looked dangerous. So to keep up that pressure all game - in the heat and humidity and one rotation down - was huge.

I can't get over how much the team has improved in every single facet of the game - skills, nous, fitness. Teenager Sophia Hurley, on her way to those 16 tackles, spent over 90% TOG. Gardiner was on the ground for 98% of the game. And the wonderful Brenna Tarrant - whose last quarter was critical when we were under siege - didn't come off the ground at all.

Just imagine how good this team might be if we had Morphett!

One major difference compared to last year - and even the first half of this year - is the improvement in tackle technique. Last year, if we laid a hundred tackles (which would take several matches to accumulate), we'd probably concede 20 free kicks (and those we tackles where we gave away a free wouldn't be included in the effective tackle count). I reckon there were barely a handful of wayward tackles last night - we only conceded 13 frees in total - and none in defence.

Ruck'n'Roll
12th November 2023, 09:59 AM
Yes to the tackling technique, but it's the teams cohesion that fascinates me. Last year that was a real problem, and while you'd expect that to improve over time, the inclusion of Molloy, Gardner, McEvoy and Tanya Kennedy could have slowed that process. It didn't. So happy for the women.
I wonder what effect it will have on our membership for next year (I just got sent my renewal reminder)?

ootf
12th November 2023, 11:54 AM
Great effort. How about the Irish? Tanya Kennedy did her usual brilliant job, adding forays forward to her smothering of Whitford but Julie and Paris have both improved through the season and contributed well.

Hitouts 59-16 against (!) had little effect and I guess it will have to be similar tactics next week.

stevoswan
12th November 2023, 12:37 PM
Charlie Rowbottom would have been watching on of course....hopefully she was impressed enough to be thinking 'I might go and join James at the Swans sooner rather than later'!

The way they've improved and the positive feedback coming out of the club from the womens program, I can see the Swans becoming a destination club in the AFLW.

ootf
12th November 2023, 01:06 PM
That would be nice Stevoswan but it would be naive to think that some of our (esp Vic) players will not get targeted by other clubs. And the draftees being asked to nominate ‘home state’ or ‘national’ will not help the Swans. The club will have to continue to work hard for recruits but hopefully Molloy, McEvoy and Gardiner have a good tale to tell.

aardvark
12th November 2023, 01:31 PM
That would be nice Stevoswan but it would be naive to think that some of our (esp Vic) players will not get targeted by other clubs. And the draftees being asked to nominate ‘home state’ or ‘national’ will not help the Swans. The club will have to continue to work hard for recruits but hopefully Molloy, McEvoy and Gardiner have a good tale to tell.

7 of our Academy girls were invited to the draft combine this year. 3 of these girls were AFL Academy members. 1 was All Australian. We are allowed to pre select 3 Academy players before the draft if we wish. I don't think we will be short of recruits.

Thunder Shaker
12th November 2023, 07:28 PM
Sydney Swans premiership tour

11 November Gold Coast
18 November Norwood
25 November North Melbourne
1 December TBA

giant
14th November 2023, 11:16 AM
I confess I was bitterly disappointed when the club didn't participate in the early seasons of the AFLW - I thought we'd clearly missed the boat and would be playing catch up for ever.

I was wrong - the club have handled this brilliantly and this second season has just been extraordinary. Dare to dream Swans!

Ruck'n'Roll
14th November 2023, 04:22 PM
It tkes a big man (possibly a giant) to admit they were wrong.
However I'm not sure you were. The club have done an utterly amazing job to make up for lost time - and GWS' ALFW engagement seems pathetic in comparison - but maybe there was no need for the time to be lost in the first place?

giant
15th November 2023, 10:29 AM
It tkes a big man (possibly a giant) to admit they were wrong.
However I'm not sure you were. The club have done an utterly amazing job to make up for lost time - and GWS' ALFW engagement seems pathetic in comparison - but maybe there was no need for the time to be lost in the first place?

The missed opportunity from GWS does seem extraordinary - I see their last game at Henson Park was 1500 versus Swans/Pies game = 5700. That 4K+ difference is kinda remarkable given they've had, what, 5 years to build a supporter base. They had less than a thousand at one Blacktown game this year, so it's not the venue that's the problem. Mind you, I read that the Swans had 4 out of the top 6 home attendances in the AFLW this season so we've left many in our wake (that was before the finals). I guess the question becomes, is it sustainable?