FOLL: Ball, Fosdike, Bolton
I/C: Ablett, Bevan, Doyle, Rogers
EMG: Buchanan, McVeigh, Roberts-Thomson
IN: Ablett, Rogers
OUT: McVeigh, Roberts-Thomson

http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=146129

robbieando
29th April 2004, 07:34 PM
Pity that McVeigh was dropped, though I suppose if Maxfield doesn't come up he'll be the replacement.

monopoly19
29th April 2004, 07:59 PM
Imagine having to tell kids like McVeigh and LRT that they've been dropped...what a crappy job. Still, it's almost a certainty that both McVeigh and Bevan will spend time in the reserves this year, if only to keep their fitness up and get full game time rather than playing on and off the bench.

Charlie
29th April 2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by monopoly19
Imagine having to tell kids like McVeigh and LRT that they've been dropped...what a crappy job. Still, it's almost a certainty that both McVeigh and Bevan will spend time in the reserves this year, if only to keep their fitness up and get full game time rather than playing on and off the bench.

Yes, but in the back of their minds there's something like "hell, I better work my bum off to get back in because there's so much competition for spots, and I don't want to miss out on September."

And the Lord saw that this was good.

dendol
29th April 2004, 08:46 PM
So McVeigh has been dropped for Ablett. I think it will good for Jarrad to have a full run in the twos, as he has been a bit quiet in the last game or two. Ablett will again have a chance to prove himself and seeing as its make or break for him this year, we need to see as much of him as possible.

Triple B
29th April 2004, 08:49 PM
Problem with that theory is, no seconds game this weekend.

Have to say on his overall performance in the 2's last week, I am quite surprised Ablett has been recalled.

Charlie
29th April 2004, 08:56 PM
No reserves game? Grr... why not?

Triple B
29th April 2004, 09:10 PM
Wrong.

8 teams, but we played Rd 3, against Weston Creek, a week before the season started so as to have a curtain raiser to the Geelong game at the SCG.

As we play away this week, we don't need a curtain raiser.

EDIT: What happened to that post Swansbest?

SWANSBEST
29th April 2004, 09:48 PM
BBB
After posting I realised that I had left Tuggeranong off the list. Maybe a Freudian slip on my part as Eastlake is building another club house at Calwell in the Tuggeranong Valley . Team is now Calwell Swans and they are starting with young under age teams. Tuggeranong now do not have their own premises but use the Southern Cross Club as a base. IMO the Calwell Swans will be a very strong club in time and will be a major threat to the survival of Tuggeranong . The issue has been very contentious in local football circles with the Tuggeranong junior clubs Lions and Bulldogs attempting to stop the Eastlake expansion. Years ago Tuggeranong had their own club house but closed it down and sold the premises .

Reggi
29th April 2004, 10:06 PM
The Rogers decision is odd as we seemed to lack runners last week. Ablett has a big body.

It can be a long season for young players, so I'm happy they have given McVeigh a break, though I suspect Charlie may be right that Maxfield is not fit.

Forecast is for Rain. Not good news

Captain
29th April 2004, 10:23 PM
Good move dropping LRT, he needs more of a run in the twos to get some confidence.

Well down to Rogers, hope he has a ripper.

liz
29th April 2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Reggi
The Rogers decision is odd as we seemed to lack runners last week. Ablett has a big body.

Not sure we lacked runners - they just weren't running.

This makes sense if B2 is to get the job on Hird, as AR may spend some time on Lucas. Although the prospect of James on Lloyd and Rogers on Lucas if the Bombers' midfield gets on top is slightly scary.

Agree that giving McVeigh a rest makes some sense, particularly with the forecast wet conditions.

TheHood
29th April 2004, 10:29 PM
Not so sure about McVeigh. I reckon Roosy has dropped him as punishment as well as a bit of a warning.

Our midfield defensive efforts were found severely wanting and Noggy is a good blue cattle dog, he can round them up.

I think Jarred is good with the nut in his hands but still lacks the efforts to not lose his man. We require effort from all in both attack and defense. This is a good lesson for the kid.

Roosy is here to unearth talent but certainly not here to guild any lillies!

Good luck in the 2s Macca.

Charlie
30th April 2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Reggi

It can be a long season for young players, so I'm happy they have given McVeigh a break, though I suspect Charlie may be right that Maxfield is not fit.

Forecast is for Rain. Not good news

Robbie won't be impressed that you're giving me his credit!

;)

edit: By the way, it's easy to say McVeigh isn't doing much, using only the raw number of touches he gets. But that becomes a lot more when you consider the fact that he's only getting about 60 minutes each game - even less against Melbourne.

If he was getting plenty of time like Bevan is, I think we'd have two players with Rising Star nominations.

sharpie
30th April 2004, 11:13 AM
But you could equally just as say that perhaps his form hasnt warranted as much time as Bevan. Roos may see reasons that we dont to keep him on the bench more than Bevo.

Go Swannies
30th April 2004, 12:32 PM
There's also the rotational aspect. We have a commitment to getting the young players up to speed. Last year, after Schneiderman starred in the first round - and continued to perform - it was hard to drop him to the 2s. This year, both McVeigh and Bevan have done really well. But if we start to fall to injury then we may need all the reserves we can get. If we have the depth of talent to carry some new players then lets do it. If we fist that they don't need to be carried, so much the better. Lets give Thewlis a run too. We may need them all at some time in the season.

Has anyone noticed that the Swans site just repeats the info from AFL.com that Nick D reinjured his hit in the Dees game and is out for five weeks? As he's been listed to play I presume that isn't so. But how many do believe it as it's on our site?