PDA

View Full Version : matthew nicks

penga
12th March 2003, 11:41 PM
im one that has been quite harsh on nicksy and his fall from form but something got my attention was his differences between 2002 and 2001, each stat below is his stat from 2002 minus 2001

games: 3
kicks: 0
marks: -3
h/balls: 2
goals: 2
behinds: -3
hitouts: 7
tackles: 19
rebound: 13
ins50: 1
clearances: 6
clangers: 6
frees for: -2
frees against: -5(which is a good thing)

therefore im gonna stop preachin that nicksy had a shocker, but as shown above on the stats sheet he had a better year than 2001, so nicksy heres to another season like 2002. i must say he does need improving though, his 2002 still doesnt match his 98 - 00 seasons though as far as possesions go although u could argue that goals are more important than those possesions, so all in all he has been pretty consistent although he was rippin it up early season and his form slump was so vastly different to his highs that i for one thought that he had had a bad year... anyways, i found that interesting when i saw the differences so i thought id share :)

i got these stats from:

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/M/Matthew_Nicks.html

Charlie
13th March 2003, 07:49 AM
Nicks was like two different players last year. He didn't have a bad season, just a terrible half-season.

His first half of the season was very good. In this period he got (I think) 17 TLM votes, and was looking a fair chance for the B&F.

Under Roos, he simply disappeared entirely. Could hardly get a touch. It was incredible to see how a player in the form of his life could suddenly stop like he did.

Steve
13th March 2003, 01:39 PM
The main difference was that in the first half of the year he was kicking goals.

4 of the 5 times he kicked 3+ goals were in losses - a lot of them were cheap(ish) scores running towards goal from about 20m out, when others had done the work to set it up.

Admittedly though in Eade's last 18 months he was using Nicks in that sort of role at HF, in which you either kick 2-3 and look good, or hardly get a touch and look very ordinary.

It was a very average (whole) year for Nicks, but when the likes of Stevens and O'Keefe were given more exposure up forward under Roos, it made things even harder for him.

TheHood
13th March 2003, 05:17 PM
His early form was impressive, I particularly liked his game against the Bombers at Stadium Australia. He almost won us the game, only for Mr Mott to muck it up.

I didn't feel sorry for anyone but Nicksy that night, he really tried his heart out and kicked 3 (I think) telling goals in that last quarter.

There was one more person I felt sorry for that night - ME!

Reggi
13th March 2003, 08:00 PM
Shame that we weren't able to trade him.

No work ethic, never fit enough for AFL

That is Nicks

Cheer Cheer
13th March 2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Charlie

Under Roos, he simply disappeared entirely. Could hardly get a touch. It was incredible to see how a player in the form of his life could suddenly stop like he did.

He was hardly in the form of his life, but he did go downhill when roos came in.
Interesting time for nicks atm. I think the story will be told early on in the piece on him for this year.

Sanecow
17th March 2003, 01:28 PM
The incident a couple of years ago in which Nicks put Hardwick down hard and told him all about it while he was lying there was my all time favourite gutsy Swans moment. I enjoyed it on my computer for a long time.

Rizzo
17th March 2003, 03:32 PM
I remember Hardwick looking a little shocked at the time!

Ajn
17th March 2003, 09:35 PM
He is in danger of becoming another McPherson, spare parts men.

Jimmy C
17th March 2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Ajn
He is in danger of becoming another McPherson, spare parts men.

Agreed. I think this could be a "Shape up or ship out" season for him.

skilts stilts
18th March 2003, 11:16 AM
Nicks and Mott had the riot act read to them after Rockets departure.Mott paid no attention.I expect to see a big improvement in Nicks this year.