PDA

View Full Version : Walls can be right

mikesmi
13th March 2003, 04:14 PM
Robert Walls is one of the best commentators and football writers around and it's good to hear that he is giving the swans a better chance of making the eight than anyone else is, last year he predicted the swans would finished 10th and he was very close, I reckon if Jason ball is fit and firing, he would be the key for the swans to play finals football this year.

TheMase
13th March 2003, 04:27 PM
Here is my prediction ...

If the Swans remain fit (few injuries) and focussed we will do quite well in 2003, and make the finals.

I have this feeling we could do better than expected.
I also feel a few of the kids could step up, perhaps Powell and Schneider? Ablett? Sunny?

TheHood
13th March 2003, 05:09 PM
We will have to work really hard all year and it has to be a near injury free year for us to get there.

It is rather fragile this year however and it will only take something rather inocuous to knock us way out of contention.

Having said that, 2004 will be a stronger and deeper unit that can sustain injuries and form downturns etc.

I will just be happy if in 2003 I do not have to sustain one single Swans loss clutched from the jaws victory because of a lack of belief.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the Sydney Swans paid for that Rd 4 win over the Kangas all year, like some sort or karma gone awefully wrong?

Steve
13th March 2003, 05:30 PM
Without commenting on his journalistic credentials, the article by Walls was pretty shallow.

He might end up being right (in predicting a 7th finish), but it's a 1/16 chance isn't it.

Walls doesn't really have a reputation to tarnish, so taking a punt on an young, unfashionable side to make the finals is a calculated gamble on which he can't really lose.

It seems McVeigh was put in the best 22 solely on the basis that he was a top-5 draft selection by a club who didn't make the finals. Along with omitting Stevens, shows not much went into the analysis.

motorace_182
13th March 2003, 06:09 PM
but it's a 1/16 chance isn't it.

But when you predict aren't you suposedly meant to take into consideration possibilities and dangers? eg: the Doogies last year in the salary cap rort

omnipotent
13th March 2003, 07:20 PM
who wants to finish 8th? If you don't win a final you end up getting a crap draft pick and it puts you on the cycle of going nowhere. Either finish right down and rebuild or play in the grannie. Do you think they will give us concessions anyway because they need us?

Cheer Cheer
13th March 2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Steve

It seems McVeigh was put in the best 22 solely on the basis that he was a top-5 draft selection by a club who didn't make the finals. Along with omitting Stevens, shows not much went into the analysis.

Spot on, that was the big let down in the article, and is why his article cannot be given any credence