PDA

View Full Version : The best $20,000 Hirdy ever spent

SWANSBEST
4th May 2004, 07:48 AM
The best $20,000 Hirdy ever spent
04 May 2004 Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

ESSENDON has been transformed from classroom bully to teacher's pet in the month since James Hird's infamous attack on umpire McLaren.

Rare moment: James Hird's bombers are out of favour with the umpires in Round 4 against Carlton.

The Bombers are enjoying a dream run from the whistle-blowers where it counts most: in front of goal.

In the past four matches, the Bombers have helped themselves to 11 goals from frees, four more than any other team.

Before the Hird outburst, Essendon was awarded just three frees inside 50 in two games. Since that fateful night on The Footy Show, they've been awarded 21 inside the forward zone.

The transformation has prompted a flood of cynical talkback callers to suggest that Hird's $20,000 fine for publicly spraying McLaren was the best investment he has ever made.

Sydney coach Paul Roos, on the wrong end of several contentious decisions against the Bombers on Saturday, joined in the free-for-all yesterday.

"Well, I would've thought it's 20 grand well spent," Roos said.

After the Swans lost to the Bombers by 10 points, Roos mused: "I don't know what you can say, but I'll certainly be making a phone call during the week."

The Swans were privately seething about two of Dean Solomon's three goals. Both came with the help of the umps. Last-quarter goals to James Hird and Matthew Lloyd also raised the ire of the Sydneysiders.

Roos said yesterday: "Jeff Gieschen (umpires' director) and Rowan Sawers (umpires' coach) have to look after the umpires and the AFL have to look at that side of it.

"It's frustrating but you've got to make sure that doesn't cloud some of the areas we were poor at."

Essendon is only just in the positive for frees in the past month -- 74 for and 73 against -- but the adage "it's where you get them that counts" has never been more relevant.

Usual bad boy Solomon (he has had just 52 frees for and 115 against since '99) has been a key beneficiary.

Solomon has kicked three goals from frees in the past month, ahead of Matthew Lloyd (two), Mark Alvey (one), James Hird (one), Ted Richards (one), Adam McPhee (one), Scott Lucas (one) and Nathan Lovett-Murray (one).

Champion Data stats reveal the Bombers have had nine more shots on goal from frees than any other club in the past four rounds.

With a total of 11.5 (71) from frees, they dwarf West Coast, which has kicked only 2.3 (15) as a result of favourable whistles in the past month.

Brisbane has had the least shots on goal from frees (four) in the same period.

Traditionally, Essendon has a tough trot with umpires.

No one has had it tougher since the opening round of '99.

The Bombers are last on the positive-negative table for frees at -290.

Their opponents on Friday night, the Bulldogs, are on top of the list at +282.

The Bombers were 0-2 when Hird slammed McLaren's performance in the club's loss to St Kilda. He was forced to apologise publicly, was fined $20,000 by the AFL and agreed to help promote the umpiring cause.

It is understood Hird could soon umpire a celebrity Auskick game as part of his ambassadorial role.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9463185%255E20322,00.html

ScottH
4th May 2004, 07:51 AM
Just read this one.

Very interesting, that a lot of their frees result in goals.

Gee I wonder where I noticed that before.

sharpie
4th May 2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by SWANSBEST
[B]Traditionally, Essendon has a tough trot with umpires.

No one has had it tougher since the opening round of '99.

The Bombers are last on the positive-negative table for frees at -290.

Hardly suprising when you have thugs in your team like Rioli. It is not just a matter of the umpires having it in for Essendon.

taurus
4th May 2004, 10:27 PM
The article captures what others and I were thinking after the match. I don't have any problem if Sheedy was involved (highly likely) since he is the coach, but it is disturbing how Hird instigated this.