PDA

View Full Version : Richo, Stafford set to return for Tigers

Go Swannies
4th May 2004, 11:11 AM
Richo, Stafford set to return for Tigers

By Linda Pearce
May 4, 2004

Matthew Richardson is two clear training sessions away from joining ruckman Greg Stafford among Richmond's inclusions for Sunday's game against Sydney at the SCG.

Both players have missed the three rounds since the Easter Monday loss to St Kilda, Richardson with a hamstring injury in the first quarter and Stafford through a suspension incurred for kneeing Jason Blake.

"Richo's just got to complete this week's training, and we'll have a look at it at the end of the week," assistant coach Darren Crocker said last night at Punt Road. "He should be right to pretty much train fully with the group through the week."

Meanwhile, Stafford, who played with the Swans for nine seasons, noted the difference in reaction between the two sets of supporters.

"Rather than walk away, the Richmond fans get quite vocal in their dissatisfaction when the team's not playing well," said Stafford. "You'd prefer that. In Sydney crowds would go from 38,000 to 15,000 depending on how you were doing."

While Stafford will return, there are no guarantees for demoted trio Joel Bowden, Ty Zantuck and Shane Morrison, all of whom played for the Tigers' VFL affiliate Coburg on Saturday.

Zantuck kicked six goals, and Bowden had 20 possessions, but there is a less pressing need for major changes after Richmond's first win in five weeks.

"The biggest thing we wanted from those guys - Joel, Ty and Shane - was to go back with the right attitude, and they all went back with a tremendous attitude to help those younger guys, and help Coburg to a win, which they did," Crocker said. "We'll have a look at all those selection issues tomorrow and Wednesday."

Crocker also warned of the cautionary tale of fellow struggler Carlton, which followed a win over West Coast with a record-breaking loss to Melbourne. The pressure on Richmond and coach Danny Frawley may have eased, however temporarily, but the immediate challenge is to maintain the standard.

"It's such an even competition that if you're 5 per cent off on a certain day you're going to leave yourself open, and that's what we want to try and aim towards is just consistency of effort," he said.

Crocker said he believed the Tigers had "turned the corner a little bit" through Friday night's one-point result against Hawthorn. "It's nice to come down and just be able to plan and prepare for Sydney this week, having come off a win."

- Phew good thing they plan to maintain the standard. If they play as they did against the Hawks I can't see how we could lose.

But who mans up Richo? I say James - but Leo was good on Lloyd - we just need him in rebound, too.

Bart
4th May 2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
But who mans up Richo? I say James - but Leo was good on Lloyd - we just need him in rebound, too.

Craig Bolton did a great job on him last year. Kept him to 1.1.

ScottH
4th May 2004, 11:43 AM
If their midfield feed Richo as well as usual we won't need to put anyone on him, coz the ball aint goin' to him.

undy
4th May 2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Bart

I thought Maxi did the job on him last year ;)

Go Swannies
4th May 2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by undy
I thought Maxi did the job on him last year ;)

Now that was funny. Great dummy spit.

chammond
4th May 2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Bart

And Leo Barry has kept him quiet in the past.

Mind you, it's been a long time since Richardson did anything much against the Swans . . . I'll be glad if he plays.

Stafford is another matter. If he and Marsh rotate in the ruck, then Ottens can stay forward . . . and he could really hurt us in front of goal.

stellation
4th May 2004, 01:15 PM
Now that was funny. Great dummy spit.

I love it when Richo throws tantrums. He manages to get so amazingly upset over things.

motorace_182
4th May 2004, 05:02 PM
Richo will struggle to really hurt us as we have enough options to shut him down and the quality of ball he receives is pathetic. Ottens should be a worry, if he wasnt one of the dumbest footballers going around.

NMWBloods
4th May 2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by chammond
And Leo Barry has kept him quiet in the past.

Mind you, it's been a long time since Richardson did anything much against the Swans . . . I'll be glad if he plays.

In the last 2 games he only scored 2.2 total, but they are the only games he has played against us in the past 3 years. From 1997-1999, the games before these two, in 4 games he kicked 18 goals against us.

Stafford is another matter. If he and Marsh rotate in the ruck, then Ottens can stay forward . . . and he could really hurt us in front of goal.

Yep - we may struggle to stop their tall options.

Except against Collingwood and Hawthorn, Richmond's midfield have been comprehensively beaten each week, and they are currently without Coughlan. If our midfield cannot dominate them this week, we are in trouble.

We can't take them too easily though, as they always have the potential to cause some trouble to many teams.

Steve
4th May 2004, 11:55 PM
While Stafford will return, there are no guarantees for ... Joel Bowden ... I think this is the most worrying point raised in the article.

It'd be like having a 23rd man.

Destructive
5th May 2004, 12:00 AM
I'm going to start warming my voice up. Stafford does'nt stand a chance......

Ruck'n'Roll
5th May 2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Destructive
I'm going to start warming my voice up. Stafford does'nt stand a chance......

Stafford, why get on his back? He was traded by Eade!

Why not pick on Darren Gasper? He deserted us!!!

Rob-bloods
5th May 2004, 11:40 AM
On the subject of Gaspar, he did ask at the time for a ridiculous amount of cash, this is a ragged defender who cannot kick and is poor at his feet! Richmond paid a very high price and then renewed him long term on even more cash. They have paid Plugger type money for this loaf who had one supposedly good season. I for one, was very glad to see him go. He is one of the very few players of ours who I bagged consistently, add Taubert and Nettlebeck and that about does it.

Bart
5th May 2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Rob-bloods
On the subject of Gaspar, he did ask at the time for a ridiculous amount of cash, this is a ragged defender who cannot kick and is poor at his feet! Richmond paid a very high price and then renewed him long term on even more cash. They have paid Plugger type money for this loaf who had one supposedly good season. I for one, was very glad to see him go. He is one of the very few players of ours who I bagged consistently, add Taubert and Nettlebeck and that about does it.

Is Taubert still our ruck coach ?

Destructive
5th May 2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Ruckman
Stafford, why get on his back? He was traded by Eade!

Why not pick on Darren Gasper? He deserted us!!!

Stafford, as many RWO'ers would know seems to fall victim quite easily to the Destructive Dan Experience - Featuring Teal's unique barracking ability during set shots for goal. In a trial match last year he was 15 metres out straight in front, the DDE- FT got to work, and he missed. And that was not the only one he missed for the afternoon. As I said - my vocal chords are warming up.

Ruck'n'Roll
6th May 2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Destructive
Stafford . . . . As I said - my vocal chords are warming up.

Well I'll do the same . . . . and CHEER "Dudley" everytime he does something good.

I shall reserve my boos for Gaspar (because he deserves it) and Richo (because I've never seen any player so liable to blow up).

Incidentally "Horse" Longmire is currently fulfilling the role of ruck coach.

monopoly19
6th May 2004, 11:51 AM
The one great memory that I have of Stafford is a game versus Freo at the SCG, Troy Cook had the ball and was running it out of defense along the Brewongle/members wing, Stafford lumbers after him, no-one thought he would catch the little fella but eventually Stafford gets to him and flattens him. I have no idea what happened to the ball, but I remember laughing for a long, long time after that.

And yes, I boo him. But only for fun (and for the fact that I think he's a dirty footballer).

Ruck'n'Roll
6th May 2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by monopoly19
And yes, I boo him. But only for fun (and for the fact that I think he's a dirty footballer).

It really wasn't a part of his game to begin with, he seems to have picked up some very nasty habits in recent years.

I think the change in his game is his attempt trying to fulfill the expectations of coaches that believe all ruckman should be enforcer types.

It doesn't excuse some of his sheep shots of recent years but I reckon he's overcompensating for his perceived softness.

NMWBloods
9th May 2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by chammond

Yeah, well this comment is rather embarrasing considering the game thus far!!

Go Swannies
9th May 2004, 11:27 PM
And did you see Stafford come over to the O'Reilly stand to stick it to the Swans fans? As well he could today.

Ruck'n'Roll
10th May 2004, 09:30 AM
And did you see Stafford come over to the O'Reilly stand to stick it to the Swans fans? As well he could today.

I also saw him being given a hug and a kiss to some of the old ducks that stand behind the goals at the Noble end of the ground before the game.

ScottH
10th May 2004, 09:55 AM
I'm surprised that didn't put him off his game!!!

:frown