PDA

View Full Version : Parkin is a ****head

anniswan
4th May 2004, 11:46 PM
To say that we couldn't win the game even if the Umpires hadn't have stuffed up. What would he know!

desredandwhite
4th May 2004, 11:48 PM
Well, Essendon were clearly the better side all day.... But the umps denied us the chance to pull off a massive upset despite being rubbish all day.

Maybe we didn't deserve to win, but we still should have got that chance...

CureTheSane
4th May 2004, 11:56 PM
I agree.

And he summed up what I've been getting at re Roos' umpire comments pretty well too.

Red
5th May 2004, 01:40 AM
Yes. How magnanimous his comments were ("...in 40 years of football I've never seen a game decided by the umpires").

Amazing what a few years in retirement will for someone's temperament. Because If <i>he</i> had been coaching the swans on Saturday, we would've seen eyes and viens buldging, blood-red face and probably a bit of vomit too.

What I like about Roos' comments re. umpires is that he backs up his statements with facts, ie. BBBH last year and Es&scums' I50 frees. They don't have much comeback when he approaches it this way.

Snowy
5th May 2004, 09:16 AM
I think on balance we probably didn't deserve to win but what frustrated me was not only did those decisions cost us, but detracted from our withering run. I was sitting in the stands, excited, in anticipation of what was to come, they had no run, and the umpires just cruelly affected the outcome. Roos' comments were actually very smart, got the message across, yet made it hard for the league to punish him. I prefer Parkin to Watson whose eyes just seem to goggle out of his head.

jixygirl
5th May 2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Snowy
Roos' comments were actually very smart, got the message across, yet made it hard for the league to punish him.

I especially liked the comment about $20,000 being well spent :D . How can Parkin speak like that? It would be impossible to not imagine that at least 1 game in fourty years was won by the umpires. Two Saturday games were examples of that. Anything could have happened if the umpires decisions were correct, possibly Sydeny would have won.

dendol
5th May 2004, 10:19 AM
Simple. Parkin couldnt give a flying **** about Sydney and thinks we couldnt have won because we didnt deserve it. Many teams win games when they dont really deserve to win. We've seem time and time again teams dominate for three quarters, but switch off for one and lose. The Bulldogs did this in the same round where we COULD have.

dawson
5th May 2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by dendol
Simple. Parkin couldnt give a flying **** about Sydney and thinks we couldnt have won because we didnt deserve it. Many teams win games when they dont really deserve to win. We've seem time and time again teams dominate for three quarters, but switch off for one and lose. The Bulldogs did this in the same round where we COULD have.

Maybe he is still upset at us for being only one of two teams to defeat them in 1995...... :D

Rob-bloods
5th May 2004, 11:25 AM
I have also heard him quote several times how he was offered the Sydney coaching job at one stage, but knocked them back because the board thought ?their chances of success were much greater than the playing list showed him?.

cressakel
5th May 2004, 12:24 PM
Paul Roos' comments about the umpires, although true but bad umpiring decisions go both ways throughout a 22 round season, shouldn't detract from the fact that his coaching was similar to Gary Buckenara and Rodney Eade's coaching in there time as the Swans coach - absolutely shocking !!

The more Roos persists with this short chip kicking along the boundary lines philosphy, the more we are heading in the direction of the bottom of the ladder than the top.

I didn't know that there was a problem with kicking long and straight when have you have talented players like Maxfield, Schneider, Barry, Kennelly, Crouch and Matthews who can run the ball out of defence by going straight and long to the talented forwards of Hall, Goodes, Davis and O'Keefe !!

What a pity it took Roos and his brains untrust three quarters to work this out !! If they persist with the short chip kicking along the boundary lines then Richmond just may do the Swans this Subday - it nearly happened against the Cats in Round 3 !!

Thunder Shaker
5th May 2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Snowy
I think on balance we probably didn't deserve to win but what frustrated me was not only did those decisions cost us, but detracted from our withering run.

Agreed. One thing tho, we weren't so bad that we had no chance. In the first quarter, we had the early play. In the second quarter, we may have scored no goals but the Bombers only scored two. Lloyd only got one goal fairly. We also kicked seven goals in the last quarter in heavy conditions.

I say that we put this behind us and anticipate next week. We've got Richmond this week and we should win.

And remember, we have the Bombers at home in round 21. We should make life as interesting as possible for the Bombers. Whenever Lovett-Murray handpasses, call "Throw!", whenever Solomon takes a contested mark, boo him, whenever Lloyd takes a mark, count down from fifteen, then call "Play on".

DST
5th May 2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Rob-bloods
I have also heard him quote several times how he was offered the Sydney coaching job at one stage, but knocked them back because the board thought ?their chances of success were much greater than the playing list showed him?.

I have heard Parkin speak on a number of ocassions at business functions and he uses that story alot.

He has expanded on those thoughts on a number of ocassions to basically say the club was the worst managed he had seen at the time and had dellusions of granduer.

DST
:D

DST
5th May 2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by cressakel
Paul Roos' comments about the umpires, although true but bad umpiring decisions go both ways throughout a 22 round season, shouldn't detract from the fact that his coaching was similar to Gary Buckenara and Rodney Eade's coaching in there time as the Swans coach - absolutely shocking !!

The more Roos persists with this short chip kicking along the boundary lines philosphy, the more we are heading in the direction of the bottom of the ladder than the top.

I didn't know that there was a problem with kicking long and straight when have you have talented players like Maxfield, Schneider, Barry, Kennelly, Crouch and Matthews who can run the ball out of defence by going straight and long to the talented forwards of Hall, Goodes, Davis and O'Keefe !!

What a pity it took Roos and his brains untrust three quarters to work this out !! If they persist with the short chip kicking along the boundary lines then Richmond just may do the Swans this Subday - it nearly happened against the Cats in Round 3 !!

I am sorry, but this is a log of hogwash!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Sydney served up on the weekend had nothing to do with the coaching and as much to do with a team that was being belted in the middle and collectively going back to it's old inhibited ways under Eade (when in doubt, chip the ball wide and slow the game down).

To much emphasis is placed on coaching during a game. Blind freddy can tell you that our intended style is to set play up from half back by winning the ball in numbers and then to use our speed through the corridor to kick it long into the forward line or spot players up in the corridor (see goal scoring % from last year).

What you saw on the weekend was the players reacting to the situation and moving away from that game plan.

As far as I am concerned Roos coached adequately on Saturday in that he was able to turn the team around in the last Qtr and get them back to playing the style he and they wanted to play. No mean feat considering the domination the SnDon had shown in the 3 Qtr's beforehand.

DST:D

Go Swannies
5th May 2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by DST

No mean feat considering the domination the SnDon had shown in the 3 Qtr's beforehand.

DST:D

I largely agree with you but disagree about the extent of the Dons domination. In fact it was close in the first quarter and we won the last. We were clobbered in the two quarters when it was pouring with rain.

Schneidergirl
5th May 2004, 03:07 PM
Walls said something very similar to this on thread 'on the couch' on Monday; the Swans didn't deserve to win as the Dons dominated the game.

While I do agree that the Dons dominated the game, if the Swans had the strenght to over power them in the last quarter why wouldn't that be a grand victory? Just because a team plays average football for 2 quarters (Swans case; 2nd and 3rd) doesn't mean they don't have a chance to fight back.

There isn't a forum at the end of the game where everyone gets together and says "well because you didn't dominate in 3 quarters of football, you'll be disallowed the 4 points."

4 points is 4 points no matter how it is won. This excludes the Saints and Brisbane match.

I'll leave it there.

CureTheSane
5th May 2004, 03:22 PM
Agreed.

If we had won, then IMO, Essendon didn't deserve to win.
Any team that dominates a game, builds a lead, and then allows that lead to be pissed away and lose doesn't deserve to win.

What do we think of the St.Kilda vs Sydney game when Plugger helped the Saints kick 10 goals in the last quarter to take the game from us many years ago?
Did we deserve to win that?
I think not.
The Saints did with such an awesome display in the last quarter.

Did Rocky deserve to lose his fight in Rocky II?
No, he faught back in the end and knocked out Creed.
Wow!
Never thought I'd liken Rocky II to a Swans game :D

hammo
5th May 2004, 04:40 PM
As long as the players don't use umpiring decisions to gloss over three quarters of mostly rubbish.
If the team had have played to their potential for the entire match then the umpires would not have been a factor.

Rizzo
5th May 2004, 04:52 PM
There no doubt that a different decision by the goal umpire in the Saints V Lions match would have altered the result.

Schneidergirl
5th May 2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by hammo
As long as the players don't use umpiring decisions to gloss over three quarters of mostly rubbish.
If the team had have played to their potential for the entire match then the umpires would not have been a factor.

I didn't think any of the players had glossed the loss!

If the umpiring had been consistent throughout the match then no one would feel the need to grumble.

Schneidergirl
5th May 2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Rizzo
There no doubt that a different decision by the goal umpire in the Saints V Lions match would have altered the result.

I guess it's fair to assume the Lions will be there (top 8) come September.
However, it's VERY poor form considering that those 2 or 4 points could be the difference of a home final... or not! :rolleyes:

DST
5th May 2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
I largely agree with you but disagree about the extent of the Dons domination. In fact it was close in the first quarter and we won the last. We were clobbered in the two quarters when it was pouring with rain.

Maybe domination was a little to heavy, let's say they "controlled" the game for 3 Qtr's.

Reckon that all the umpiring did on the weekend is give SnDon supporters a false sense of where their team is at. They played far better footy than us, controlled most of the game and had the aid of some questionable free kicks and still only managed to beat us by 10 points.

DST

hammo
5th May 2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Schneidergirl
I didn't think any of the players had glossed the loss!

I am hoping they don't see that as acceptable but I was a little concerned to hear Roosy say he was generally happy with the performance.

I would have thought the Mr Nice Guy routine could have been put on hold considering we weren't really in the game for the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

If the players keep getting praise from the coach for honourable losses then complacency will set in.

Hopefully Roos knows what he's doing.

As I suspected, regretably, all the attention from last week's game is on umpiring decisions and not our obvious weaknesses at the moment.

I have come around to the opinion that we need to crush Richmond to give our guys - particularly the midfield - a lift in confidence. The Tigers are a rudderless rabble and we need to prove we are a better side by at least 10 goals.

Nico
5th May 2004, 09:00 PM
What a dumb statement putting Roos in the same category as Buckenara.

The real flaw in that argument is that Buckenara did not have a game plan, or at least no one has owned up to knowing what it was.

Buckenara was clearly the worst coach we have ever had in my watching the Swans for 40 years. I have never seen such an unfit outfit as we were in his tenure. The first thing Barassi did was put them on a fitness regime, IN MID SEASON.

Within a few weeks we started to show glimpses of having some talent.

So lets not bring Buckenara into any argument when comparing coaches.

Nico
5th May 2004, 09:05 PM
On Parkin. He is an irrelevant old man who always seems to have a chip on his shoulder. When was the last time this luminary smiled. Has the personality of a rock.

Nico
5th May 2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by DST
I have heard Parkin speak on a number of ocassions at business functions and he uses that story alot.

He has expanded on those thoughts on a number of ocassions to basically say the club was the worst managed he had seen at the time and had dellusions of granduer.

DST

And Tom Hafey tells the story of how Sydney sacked him. Reckons they reneged on a "hand shake" contract. How naive. Told me in a one on one conversation, when trying to convince me that he should be able to give a motivational speech to my sales team. Ran the club down unmerciously. Guess who didn't get the gig.

He has told this story a number of times at club nights etc.

Amazing, and he was the one who left Geelong and brought Williams and Toohey with him. Whew!!!

Wazza
5th May 2004, 09:56 PM
DST
What Sydney served up on the weekend had nothing to do with the coaching and as much to do with a team that was being belted in the middle and collectively going back to it's old inhibited ways under Eade (when in doubt, chip the ball wide and slow the game down).

geez talk about hogwash, the Sawns played like this from the first bounce and when we were winning the 1st qtr. We played like this against Bris and Freo...ummm helloo this is obviously our gameplan.

The most frustrating part of all this is we wont kick to a 1-1 in our 50, I would go long to BBB if it was 2 -1 he would still bring the ball to ground for our crumbers.

It was a great comeback from the Swans but umps didnt cost us the game you cant not kick a goal in a QTR and expect to win a game of footy.

The other point is ESSdon took the foot off the pedal after being 40 odd points up, if I remeber J Johnson went to the bench- not sure who else was on the bench for them.

This week is a test of where we are at but what must be a concern is the fitness of Goodes, Kennelly, Maxfield and the form of Williams, Bolton, Mathews and Saddington.

Fosdike had been in good form up until last week and Davis should be better with match fitness. The bonus for us is O'Keefe, Bevan and Barry hall at CHF.

cressakel
6th May 2004, 11:24 AM
Nico,

Whether you play local footy in Under 10's or for an elite AFL club, coaches have rammed the message that you do not kick the football 20-25 along the boundary or sideways to a teammate in a contested situation, which is what I have been witness to at stages in every game the Swans have played this season.

Therefore, that is why I have come to the conclusion that Roos is coaching like Buckenara in his heyday. As I stated earlier, Roos has so much talent at his disposal to NOT choose this option of so-called possession football, whereas Buckenara never had any talent, except for a very raw Paul Kelly whose disposal let him down at this early stage of his career, to gather a competitive team together. Buckenara made the situation worse by having the players extremely unfit, no game plan in place and a lack of respect from the players. Then again, who would respect a twit like Buckenara after you are made to crawl eight laps around the SCG on hands and knees !!

So lets put coaches into their right context judging on the talent at there disposal and what game plan they decide upon. Roosy was known throughout last season as playing an attacking brand of football coaching, but now he wants to tinker with the game plan and play the above mentioned crap short chip kicking to a contest football game plan - not good enough from my point of view !!

And I think that Paul Roos is, along with T-Shirt Tommy Hafey, the best coach the Swans have had in the 30 odd years I have been following the Mighty Swans !! I expect a premiership or two with Roos and that is why I am critical of his game plan at present.

Originally posted by Nico
What a dumb statement putting Roos in the same category as Buckenara.

The real flaw in that argument is that Buckenara did not have a game plan, or at least no one has owned up to knowing what it was.

Buckenara was clearly the worst coach we have ever had in my watching the Swans for 40 years. I have never seen such an unfit outfit as we were in his tenure. The first thing Barassi did was put them on a fitness regime, IN MID SEASON.

Within a few weeks we started to show glimpses of having some talent.

So lets not bring Buckenara into any argument when comparing coaches.

DST
6th May 2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Wazza
geez talk about hogwash, the Sawns played like this from the first bounce and when we were winning the 1st qtr. We played like this against Bris and Freo...ummm helloo this is obviously our gameplan.

Explain to me your idea of our game plan.

Surely you are not saying that Roos purposely sends out the team to play with that style?

There is a perception on this board that everytime we go out to play we are going to execute or be allowed to execute the game plan we want. The fact is at this level of compertition (where the difference between 12th and 4th can be as little two games deicded by a kick) we are not going to be given a free reign week in and out.

Brisbane, Freo and SnDon are all top six credentialed sides, they have the players, team structure, gameplan and discilpline to beat us on any given day. Which in the case of two of those games they did.

Roos has a game plan that based on the players we have, has proven to work. Whether we win or not comes down to us executing that game plan effectively or being allowed to execute that game plan.

I would be very surprised if you spoke to any of the players who said they as a team on the weekend played the game they wanted for the full 4 qtr's.

DST

Plugger46
6th May 2004, 07:31 PM
I've heard Parkin a couple of times as a guest speaker, at places I've been. He's an absolute idiot. He's in love with himself. He's just an old man who thinks he knows everything. Anyone seen him smile before? I certainly haven't.