PDA

View Full Version : Swans CH10 coverage

SWANSBEST
14th March 2003, 06:38 AM
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/13/104743

Ten, AFL to review Swans deal
By Caroline Wilson
March 14 2003

Channel 10 has pushed the AFL to reduce its prime time television commitments to the Sydney Swans.

The network has put forward a bid to the league to televise live only Sydney three Telstra Stadium fixtures for 2003 and move the Swans seven other Saturday night fixtures back to 9.30 pm replays into the Sydney market.

Although the bid would contravene Ten's five-year broadcast agreement with the AFL, the network has received cautious support from Swans chairman Richard Colless, who told The Age: "I can sympathise with Ten. Some of our ratings were pretty dreadful last year, and, after all, they're not running a charity."

The Ten move will be debated in Monday by the AFL commission. Under the $76 million annual News Limited consortium deal with the league, Ten has agreed to televise all Saturday night Brisbane and Sydney fixtures in prime time into those clubs' local markets.

While the network has no plans to alter its Brisbane coverage this season, it has made it clear to the AFL that only the Swans Homebush games against Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood should be guaranteed live or near live coverage. However, Ten has said it would review the Swans' seven other Saturday night games should the club's TV ratings in Sydney improve this season along with its football fortunes.

The league's commercial operations general manager, Ben Buckley, said yesterday that his preference would be for all Sydney's Saturday night games to be televised live into the Sydney market.

Conceding that Channel 10's regular dismal single-figure ratings for most of its home-and-away games into Sydney on Saturday nights last season, Buckley said he did not subscribe to the view that the AFL had committed overkill in scheduling so many Swans matches into the prime time Sydney market.

Late last season former Swans chief executive Kelvin Templeton said he believed the sudden jump in prime time Swans games into the local market had proved too much too soon for a no-traditional football city.

But Buckley said: "You don't want to give up any ground and with Channel 10 we made inroads last year that may have been small but they were significant.

"It is important that we are out there in Sydney. I should add that we've been delighted with our relationship with Ten."

The AFL has also worked this week to ensure live coverage of Saturday night's Wizard Cup grand final into the New South Wales and Queensland markets. With Channel Nine's inability to do so, Foxtel has agreed to broadcast the match.

The Swans open the 2003 season at the Telstra Stadium with a clash against Carlton. The AFL has employed Templeton as a consultant to develop and promote the Swans clashes at the former Olympic arena and both parties are believed to be disappointed at the Blues' relative lack of interest in promoting the round-one fixture to be played against the backdrop of a multicultural theme.[URL]http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/13/1047431152234.html

floppinab
14th March 2003, 09:01 AM
Hard to argue with Ten on this one.
I think 9.30 isn't a bad compromise

Beaussie
14th March 2003, 11:20 AM
This gets me so upset. I can't believe Channel 10 can be requesting this. Sure the ratings in Sydney have been less than great but they got the rights to finals the G.F. and Saturday night football all around Australia in markets where the game does rate well on the basis that they commit to showing Swans and Lions games prime time in their respective markets.

We cannot now agree with their request to just alter a contract to suit their desires in the Sydney market. Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that at the time of broadcasting negotiations, Channel 10 clearly stated that it understood the Sydney market would not be easy and it would take time to develop (not 1 season). Channel 10 at the time was fully committted to this process.

Personally, I think removing prime time coverage of the Swans in the NSW market is a step back for the further development of the game. Our great game needs and deserves to be showcased in primetime. In addition, what's to say Channel 10 wont come back to the AFL mid season and request midnight replays of the Swans games in NSW if its ratings at 9.30pm are not great. The precedent will have already been set to allow them to alter their contractural obligations.

Sorry, in this instance the AFL and Sydney Football Club need to stand firm and demand that Channel 10 upholds it part of the agreement for the sake of the further development of the game.:mad:

TheMase
14th March 2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Beaussie
This gets me so upset. I can't believe Channel 10 can be requesting this. Sure the ratings in Sydney have been less than great but they got the rights to finals the G.F. and Saturday night football all around Australia in markets where the game does rate well on the basis that they commit to showing Swans and Lions games prime time in their respective markets.

We cannot now agree with their request to just alter a contract to suit their desires in the Sydney market. Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that at the time of broadcasting negotiations, Channel 10 clearly stated that it understood the Sydney market would not be easy and it would take time to develop (not 1 season). Channel 10 at the time was fully committted to this process.

Personally, I think removing prime time coverage of the Swans in the NSW market is a step back for the further development of the game. Our great game needs and deserves to be showcased in primetime. In addition, what's to say Channel 10 wont come back to the AFL mid season and request midnight replays of the Swans games in NSW if its ratings at 9.30pm are not great. The precedent will have already been set to allow them to alter their contractural obligations.

Sorry, in this instance the AFL and Sydney Football Club need to stand firm and demand that Channel 10 upholds it part of the agreement for the sake of the further development of the game.:mad:

Mate,

I think is the first time I have ever agreed with you. All your credibility has been restore :D

Luke

CureTheSane
14th March 2003, 01:47 PM
This doesn't get me upset, it gets me frigging MAD!!!

Richard Colless deserves a real serve for almost endorsing reduced TV times for the Swans.

Ch 10 signed the contract, and all parties had better uphold it.

Actually, fine, let go of the live coverage, and how about delaying the telecast of teh Grand Final too.
I bet if anyone ever mentioned that, Ch 10 would be crying "contract" until they were blue in the face...

swansrock4eva
14th March 2003, 02:26 PM
The one thing i don't get is showing the Satde Oz matches live against the gate - wouldn't it make more sense to NOT show those ones live in sydney in order to convince more people to get off theur lazy butts and actually come to the match simply because they can't sit with their beer on the couch and watch it? Isn't that what they do with the cricket - show it live in all places but where the match is held when it's not a sell out, and only make it live in that city when it's a sell out?

Also, isn't CH10 trying to do what we did to Port Melbourne essentially? The current arrangement isn't working as well as expected so there needs to be a change - maybe this isn't the solution either, but as CH10 is a BUSINESS above all else, they need to make sure they are still profitable across the board, or can at least justify why certain programs etc are continued despite being unprofitable - obviously they feel they can justify moving the Swans to 9:30, which is still better than what we generally got from Seven, so as long as we get the full match (none of that cut out the "unimportant" bits and stick 20 ads in after each goal garbage) I don't see the problem?

Bas
14th March 2003, 02:42 PM
The question I thought that should be asked is: Why are people at home watching and not at the game? I'll be at the game so the only way it affects me is that I set the video for 9:30 instead of 7:30.

As a parent, I prefer the delayed 9:30 pm telecast on Friday nights because it gives me time to get home, get our son fed, washed, read him a book and bed. I then feed and shower myself and settle down for the evening to watch the game in uninterrupted comfort.

Most people at home are not keen Swans supporters therefore a 9:30pm start might ensure they watch more of the game. If it's an earlier start, they'll probably only catch the last quarter anyway.

However a starting time of later than 9:30pm would be detrimental.

I'd rather people at the game creating atmosphere than bums on seats at home. If it's a rainy night/day, most people would prefer to stay home and watch the game live. They mightn't if it's on delay broadcast.

What sounds better/worse "Swans attract low crowds" or "Swans rate 30 on Saturday night (game crowd 17,000)"

Big crowds in 96 and 97 had nothing to do with telly, it was rather the trendy thing to do at that time - go to a Swans game. Now Super 12 games are the vogue and maybe even Rugby League this year.

On a pure contractual basis, I agree that CH 10 got the nod because they offered live broadcasts and they should be held to their contract. Poor ratings may put the broadcast back to 11:30pm if they can break their agreement now.

I think Colless has done nothing wrong. He can see that Ch 10 need to make money and putting the Swans on at 11:30 pm might not cost Ch 10 a great deal in penalty fees for breaking the agreement. Who else will cover the game in Sydney? Not 9, SBS?

Compromising the situation (9:30pm) might be a win-win for both Ch 10 and the Swans. Colless can see that because only die hards and drunks will watch it at 11:30pm.

floppinab
14th March 2003, 02:58 PM
A bit like you Bas I'll be relegated to baby sitting duties during the night games this year primarily due to my wifes insistence on signing a bunch of her friends up and wanting to go with them :frown

And frankly coz I'll be hanging out for some live action I'll tune in on the wireless for coverage anyways and follow up with the replay when it comes later.

On a pure contractual basis, I agree that CH 10 got the nod because they offered live broadcasts and they should be held to their contract. Poor ratings may put the broadcast back to 11:30pm if they can break their agreement now.

And this is the rub do you really want to piss ten off at this relatively early phase of their footy lifetime. 9.30 really ain't too bad compared to the witching hours.

TheMase
14th March 2003, 03:04 PM
If they are delayed, I will also listen to the matches on the radio.

I rarely miss any live coverage, no matter where I am!

Skells
14th March 2003, 03:05 PM
Well said Bas. Iagree that 9:30 is not a bad time to have the game on TV but would like to make sure that Channel 10 don't try pushing the time back even further.

Louellyn
14th March 2003, 08:10 PM
Those of us not living in Sydney rely on the TV for our footy fix, this is dreadful. NOT HAPPY JAN.

Oh well, looks like we will have to listen to it on the radio, if we can find coverage of the game.

This really saddens me......I feel even more disconnected from my team.:mad:

Bas
14th March 2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Louellyn
Those of us not living in Sydney rely on the TV for our footy fix, this is dreadful. NOT HAPPY JAN.

Oh well, looks like we will have to listen to it on the radio, if we can find coverage of the game.

This really saddens me......I feel even more disconnected from my team.:mad:

If you can afford it, connect to Fox Footy. I thought you would have received it through the Ten regional station?

The other alternative, the last possible is pay that footy membership thing on the AFL website and get the streaming broadcast. Louellyn, at least it's cheaper than Foxtel.

Louellyn
14th March 2003, 10:02 PM
Here's hoping.....my heart is heavy tonight at thought of not watching them. I will find out if we get the regional broadcast once the TV guides come out, but I am not holding my breath.

swansrock4eva
14th March 2003, 10:56 PM
Louellyn, do you get the ACT tv channels? if so, you should get whichever match is on TV live or close to down there. Even capital and Win etc in wollongong usually have the footy on at a different time to the Sydney parent stations (which makes it hard, living smack bang in the middle of sydney and not able to receive Sydney tv channels, only wollongong, and having a Sydney tv guide :p).

Aside from that, my reading of it was they were discussing options in they sydney market rather than the whole country?

cos789
14th March 2003, 11:27 PM
Why are we feeling sympathetic for channel 10 ?
Have they done anything special for the Sydney market ?
They're happy in Brisbane , but through no help of Ch10 .
If they want concessions -OK- lets bargan a bit .
Poor ratings mean not enough promotion.Promotion by chanel 10 cost them zero.They still lead off their national sports program with NRL not the number one winter sport .If the AFL want to promote the game in Sydney ,how about being proactive and giving us some sort of advantage .so we'll always be up there,therefore rating well,therefore expanding the game in the biggest city .It's not Fair ,but either is the current setup for interstate teams!!

Ajn
17th March 2003, 09:29 PM
9.30 will become 10.30-11.00 for sure, enabling ten to screen movies in the prime time slot. As for not a charity, they can't just have their cake and eat it. They got the GF, so what if they take a hit!

JF_Bay22_SCG
23rd March 2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
This doesn't get me upset, it gets me frigging MAD!!!

Richard Colless deserves a real serve for almost endorsing reduced TV times for the Swans.

Interestingly the Sydney Kings pushed their telecasts back to 10:30 and the ratings increased. (?)

Obviously those who were at the match turned it on once they got home.

I know where Brycey is coming from, but to me I don't care when home games are shown. Because I'll be in the ground!

Yes, we should be pushing for live coverage. Perhaps there was a way of subsidising Channel 10 for its bad ratings on Saturday nights in Sydney.

Just make sure away matches are telecast live!

I honestly think this year will be a tough one. Sure Eddie and his maggots have worn away enough to undermine both the club and the AFL in trying to promote the game this year.

The scary thing is that I'm afraid that during the RU WC people will forget us. We'll just have to grit our teeth and tough it out. I'm sure we'll get 40000 against Essendon at Stadium Australia.

Then again you may get a few tourists in town having a squizz at this odd game we play down here.

"Swing low sweet Sherrins footy
Through the sticks for a Swans goal"

JF

JF:p

Xie Shan
23rd March 2003, 09:02 PM
Just make sure away matches are telecast live!

Or at least earlier than 9:30.....as a concession to the Sydney people who obviously can't go to the game.

9:30 isn't TOO bad - trouble is, I remember watching the finals last year at 9:30 and ch10 did a woeful job of editing in the commercials - I think a few minutes of a couple of the games were missed. They gave us the complete 1/2hr preamble and the game didn't finish until well after the scheduled time.

I think the RU WC is in Oct-Nov so hopefully it won't overshadow the local footy season.

Triple B
24th March 2003, 01:12 AM
Look on the bright side.

If Ch 10 no longer want to broadcast until 9-30, the AFL should make them agree to allow Fox to broadcast live into Sydney to break the agreement.

If you don't have Fox and cannot get to the game, at least you don't get ads after every goal, thus missing goal replays, with a delayed telecast which should still finish around midnight (the time most of us are dragging our asses home anyway)

Jimmy C
24th March 2003, 11:12 PM
We can't afford Fox at the moment (not a financial priority). Living in Victoria means that if there's no T.V/Radio broadcast I'll be waiting for progressive scores on the radio (grrr) or hanging around the AFL site, watching a screen update while listening to MP3's.

swan_song
27th March 2003, 01:44 PM
I firmly believe that sydney responds better to 'glitz' than other capitals...hence the phenomenal success of the tina turner simply the best promo for rugby back whenever. show biz glitz...a theme they've sort of recaptured this year with the my team promo. What do we get from channel 10 by way of afl promo here, talking up the product? About the same as channel 7 did. In other words SFA, or very little at the best. The start of the afl season has hardly rated a mention here, but to be fair there are other considerations newswise at the moment. What is needed for afl in the sydney market, is some good advertising and promotion...
It was always the case that as the team has slipped from the 'high' of 96, the ratings and interest would drop off. Just look at the richmond trial match at the SCG a week or two ago...it was free (they still charged parking at moore park) but only about 1000 turned up...
Winning, combined with stirring 'glitzy' promo, is the key to increased interest/ratings in Sydney, nothing more.

Mike_B
27th March 2003, 01:55 PM
It was actually around 2700, which to be fair, isn't too bad up here for a practice match. Go back to 96 and a practice match wouldn't have even drawn 1000. The fact is that even though our crowds are down in the past few years, the supporter base is much much stronger. I would say that over half our members now are with the club for good, no matter the results. Pre 96, there's no way we could be sure of having a solid if not spectacular supporter-base in terms of numbers.

swan_song
27th March 2003, 02:33 PM
Mike, sorry to disagree, but if you (or anyone else) reckon there were 2700 there, I reckon u should get a job counting legs for the rugby league...
My point was that there was a very low turnout, almost finger countable, especially seeing it was free...those there were what I imagine are the dedicated core of swan supporters...and there wern't all that many of them...
Pre 96, of course, we had dreadful seasons under Bucky and Kinnear, and crowds were poor, but before that they were relatively healthy under Tom Hafey when the team was winning...
WIN and they will come!
Saw u there Gemma...

Glenn
27th March 2003, 02:39 PM
Not ideal losing prime time Coverage, but looking at it from the viewpoint of TEN, I guess it all comes back to ratings... If Sydney are going along well and at the top or close to the top I am sure Ten would look at the decision again and move the games back into prime time :)