PDA

View Full Version : Sensation at Bankstown

Norris Lurker
8th May 2004, 11:38 PM
I went out to 2 games today - this evening I was out at the Village Green where North Shore beat UNSW-ES by 11 points, but I also made a last-minute decision to go to Bankstown Oval this afternoon and have a look at the East Coast Eagles v St George game.
I'll be writing my column tomorrow night after I get home from the Swans game, but what I saw this afternoon is something I've never seen before.
St George were well in front late in the second quarter, leading 12.3 to 5.6; when the umpires blew the whistle and called all the players on the field to line up. It turned out the Eagles had one player too many on the ground, and the Eagles' score of 5.6 was reset to zero.

That was one for the history books. There wouldn't be too many times that's happened. But credit to the Eagles for sticking to the task - after their score was taken away they lifted and outscored St George for the rest of the game. But the final score of St George 19.12 (126) to East Coast 11.8 (74), although it will go down in the history books, doesn't tell the full story of what happened today.

weapon
9th May 2004, 01:45 AM
You are right Norris; I too was there and know for a fact the astute Umpires sent an Eagles player from the ground for disputing a decision!!Can you believe it?The said player had the temerity to ask the senior umpire why did he pay a free, to which he was shown a yellow card!!Talk about over reacting. Not swearing, or abuse, but "disputing a decision". Strange times down there at martian land.

And they wonder why have little respect. As an impartial viewer today, the umpires seemed to ignore the Eagles query as to whether they could replace the player, and were told(so i hear) to go away. They replaced him thinking as it was not reportable he could be replaced, only to have "Elbows" Garner ask for a count. Ordinary stuff.

Would have been a pretty close game otherwise I would have thought. Seems in the last quarter the Crows too had 17 on the ground at one stage, and that the 17th man actually took a mark! For some reason, no count, no penalty. Add to this some ordinary cheap shots from the crows including a head butt from a certain no.33 and to this erstwile folllower of the sfl, a blight on the game.

You're right, the Eagles fought on and outscored their opponents but for me, what looked a good game was again spoilt by ineptitude.count
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
I went out to 2 games today - this evening I was out at the Village Green where North Shore beat UNSW-ES by 11 points, but I also made a last-minute decision to go to Bankstown Oval this afternoon and have a look at the East Coast Eagles v St George game.
I'll be writing my column tomorrow night after I get home from the Swans game, but what I saw this afternoon is something I've never seen before.
St George were well in front late in the second quarter, leading 12.3 to 5.6; when the umpires blew the whistle and called all the players on the field to line up. It turned out the Eagles had one player too many on the ground, and the Eagles' score of 5.6 was reset to zero.

That was one for the history books. There wouldn't be too many times that's happened. But credit to the Eagles for sticking to the task - after their score was taken away they lifted and outscored St George for the rest of the game. But the final score of St George 19.12 (126) to East Coast 11.8 (74), although it will go down in the history books, doesn't tell the full story of what happened today.

Troy G
10th May 2004, 01:15 PM
A count happened a few years ago i think at the Village Green in the SFL.

Monty Burns
10th May 2004, 03:39 PM
Yes - UNSW-ES vs Balmain. That was in the first year of the merger when the Bulldogs were really struggling. From memory they were well ahead and headed for a rare win when they stuffed up after 3/4 time and 17 took the field!

Norris Lurker
11th May 2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
I'll be writing my column tomorrow night after I get home from the Swans game, It's now up at http://redandwhiteonline.com/content.php?id=267_0_3_0_C - I was at 2 games on Saturday, so it's a bit longer than normal; but a lot happened on Saturday.

shearer
11th May 2004, 10:11 AM
Gee weapon you sure are a "impartial" supporter.

The player was sent from the ground for swearing repeatedly at the umpire. The halfwit should have learnt his lesson after the first 50m but kept swearing, gave away another 50m and deserved to be sent off for 10 minutes.

To me East Coast Eagles are one of the best run clubs in the league and i was suprised they didnt know the rules in terms of a replacement.

As for the other incidents you mentioned, two St George players left the field due to the blood rule, so east Coast werent exactly angels all day.

If you want to overlook your teams shortcomings and blame the player count as the reason for your defeat thats up to you. But get your facts right before you come on here.

the manager
11th May 2004, 06:28 PM
Speaking of sensations

Penrith 13.16=94
Manly 13.9=87

Penrith's first win in 30 games and we partied like there was no tomorrow

me son
12th May 2004, 09:52 AM
And just one more sensation on the weekend!!!!

Luffy.... 5 majors... congrats!!!!

I heard from tigertown that you were out for long time with a shoulder? injury!!!

Care to elaborate?

Did you do it taping a fox footy commercial?

Congrats Penrith thats a great result.... im sure a few brown lemonades were consumed by the mountain men.

And one more congrats to the big dinosaur Yardy who has been around as long as time itself. Breaking the Penno club record against my tigers a few weeks ago. We have a soft spot for penno boys as our first grade and reserve grade skippers are ex demons....Shame he got opened up..... looked like benny elias in a state of origin match a few years ago....

ahhhh me son

troy34
14th May 2004, 06:36 PM
Hey me Son,

I don't know where you heard that but there is nothing wrong with my shoulders, I was coming back from last years Knee reconstruction and waited till I felt it was right

Luffy