PDA

View Full Version : Swans v Richmond latest news

SWANSBEST
15th March 2003, 05:57 AM
Swans plot to tame Tigers
By TIM MORRISSEY
15mar03
SWANS coach Paul Roos will instruct his players not to hold back against Richmond in today's final hitout before the AFL season commences later this month.

The Swans have been limping through the pre-season but Roos says it's time for a switch in game when they step on to the Sydney Cricket Ground.

"We are not going to nurse guys through the Richmond game," said Roos.

"It's really going to be like a round one game.

"I want the guys to get a really good hit out preparing for Carlton.

"We don't want the players to hold back, they need to go 100 per cent.

"They need to know they are in good form and they need to know they can get through a whole game of AFL footy."

The Swans preparations have been plagued by injuries and slowed-down players rehabilitating from off-season surgery.

At one time Sydney had 10 of their experienced players unavailable for a pre-season game.

Now star forward Michael O'Loughlin is the only big name who is in doubt for the March 29 season opener against Carlton at Telstra Stadium.

Although the Swans are now very close to having their full roster available they are still likely to be a little undone going into the 2003 home-and-away season.

A number of key Swans will have had played in only one or two practice games ? even then they've had restricted minutes.

Athletic half-back Leo Barry makes his return today against Richmond and admits it's going to take a few games to regain top form.

"I will probably be a bit under-done but hopefully I'll run into some form after I play a few games," said Barry.

The star 25-year-old utility was hoping to have more preparation going into the season but suffered a setback in the pre-season.

"I had a hiccup with a bit of a sore groin so realistically they really wanted me to play last week as the first game," said Barry.

Barry was already on a modified training program coming into this season as a result of the after effects from last year when he suffered a life-threatening lacerated spleen in round three against Adelaide.

That injury left him on the sidelines for nine matches.

Full forward Barry Hall who missed last week's encouraging six-goal win over Melbourne has recovered from a slight hip injury and will play against Richmond.

However, defender Brad Seymour who had shoulder surgery in the off season won't be back as expected while Matthew Nicks (calf) and Andrew Schauble (thigh) will also sit out after pulling up tight from last weeks game.
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,6126265%255E2771,00.html