PDA

View Full Version : Is the yellow card needed in football?

Footy123
10th May 2004, 05:00 PM
Since there has been a great controversy with the yellow card in Sydney Football with the East Coast/St George game, i ask the question whether Sydney Football should have the Yellow card and when should the yellow card be used?

Personally i think it could stay but the yellow should be only used if a reportable offence occurs. And then a red card for a second reportable offence or major misconduct.

Most players dont know what a yellow card offence is and i dont think many umpires have any idea either. It seems it killed a good game last week (although East Coast coaches and players should have known the correct rule that the player couldnt be replaced like all other clubs). It also proved the difference in St George/Pennant Hills game the week before when a Pennant Hills player recieved a yellow card in the 4th quarter for a non reportable offence which was started by a StGeorge player. The two players were wrestling yet only the pennant hills players recieved a yellow.

Its all very confusing and i'd like to know where everyone stands on this

Norris Lurker
10th May 2004, 11:19 PM
I agree with that. For a team to be short one player directly affects the game - if a player is reported and suspended the team is affected but they'll still have 16 players on the field at any time during the next game.
Because it affects the game so much, I think the yellow card should be used more sparingly. I wouldn't even use it for all reportable incidents, only for blatantly clear-cut cases.

weapon
12th May 2004, 05:55 PM
Its a good point you make, and in every state league and amateur league players sent off for audible obsenity, or disputing a decision or the ilk CAN be replaced. The player loses out, not the team. Otherwise, how do we distinguish between the severity of a reportable offence(no question sent off and not replaced, although if found not guilty what then?)?

Obviously its an area that has not had due consideration and will need to be addressed at the end of the season. I can't see anyone objecting to that change, can you? Also protects the umps from being accused of spoiling a game or having undue influence. And that surely is sensible.