PDA

View Full Version : Eagles gain four for crucial home game

Go Swannies
11th May 2004, 11:20 PM
Eagles gain four for crucial home game

_- The West Australian

CRAIG O'DONOGHUE

Struggling West Coast is likely to be strengthened by the return of four senior players for Saturday's crunch game against Sydney at Subiaco Oval.

Chad Fletcher (shoulder), Rowan Jones (groin) and Chad Morrison (knee) all proved their fitness at training yesterday while Quinten Lynch (suspension) is also available.

But the Eagles could be without defender Kasey Green, who was yesterday cited for kicking Melbourne's Cameron Bruce in the final quarter of Sunday's loss at the MCG. Green will appear before the tribunal tomorrow.

The Eagles took a young team to Victoria to play the Demons so the availability of Jones, Morrison, Fletcher and Lynch is a major boost.

There was further good news yesterday when the experienced Daniel Chick trained for the first time since surgery on his thigh three weeks ago.

Chick struggled to run last week and appeared several weeks away from a return. But yesterday he repeatedly strode out and kicked with his injured leg.

"He's improved dramatically in a week," West Coast football manager Steve Woodhouse said. "We always said it was an injury that would keep him out for between four to eight weeks. Last week, it looked like it would almost certainly be the latter but he's been having regular treatment and it's improved. He's actually a silly chance to play next week.

"There is still some damage to the quad where the cork was sustained so while it's great that he's improved, given the nature of the injury and the fact that he's lost match conditioning, we'll wait another week and have a look at him then."

Although Chick's improvement has been dramatic, Josh Wooden's comeback from a broken collarbone ended when he broke the bone again while playing for Subiaco on Friday night. Wooden was involved in a heavy collision and had surgery on Saturday.

"He's really disappointed," Woodhouse said. "It's set him back again. It's the second time it's happened and whenever you break a bone, there's a risk it will happen again. It was his third game back so he'd tested it a bit. Sadly, it happened again."

Key forward Andrew McDougall took the unusual step of training with the WAFL and rehab players yesterday. The Eagles always complete a short recovery running session around Kitchener Park the day after a game but McDougall joined in the full training session and spent a long time talking to coach John Worsfold and assistant Peter Sumich.

The youngster has struggled to make an impact this year, kicking just eight goals from his six games.

Paul Johnson and Ashley Hansen opposed each other in wrestling training on Kitchener Park yesterday as part of a gruelling exercise for those who did not play in either the AFL or WAFL at the weekend. Only two WAFL matches were played last week and with Swan Districts having the bye, Hansen and Johnson had the week off.

The big men pushed, rolled, grabbed and slammed each other, desperately trying to gain the upper hand in the battle for a place in the senior team. Johnson has played one AFL match and was impressive during the pre-season but he has not had an impact on the WAFL in recent weeks. Hansen recently resumed from shoulder surgery and is yet to make his AFL debut.

May 11, 2004

? 2004 West Australian Newspapers Limited
All Rights Reserved.

floppinab
12th May 2004, 11:22 AM
Bugger!

First Richo and Staff to tear our defence up and now this lot to put the midfield to the sword.

Alec
12th May 2004, 12:14 PM
I actually thought our midfield would run Essendon's army of vets into the ground at the M.C.G. The weather, and other factors inhibited this effect, but we still came home strong.

The Weagle's form isn't much to write home about either. Their best team is still only a flip of the coin against the Swans, I reckon.

It's just a belief thing now. Unfortuntely, a home crowd can generate belief out of nothing...

sharpie
12th May 2004, 04:15 PM
Hehe, can I be the first to get in and say that four underdone players can only benefit the Swans? Haha, we have a VERY VERY bad record with comments like this on RWO. Last week was not the only time. The Hawthorn game last year saw Everitt come back IIRC. Countless other examples too. These comments should be banned from RWO from now on.

It seems that other teams brong back players when they are actually ready, except if its Buckley :D !

Go Swannies
12th May 2004, 04:25 PM
Buckley's first game back looks to be the Swannies game.

NMWBloods
12th May 2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
Hehe, can I be the first to get in and say that four underdone players can only benefit the Swans? Haha, we have a VERY VERY bad record with comments like this on RWO. Last week was not the only time.

Yes, a few people were pretty happy about J Johnson returning for Essendon, only to see him be B.O.G!!

Dpw
12th May 2004, 05:14 PM
I have seen every WCE game because my wife is a one eyed Eagle. And to be fair the Eagles will most likely have the edge over us because of the home ground advantage and the book makers will reflect this. That said Iam surprisingly up beat about this match, as I believe we have the match up's that will unsettle the Eagles and have our own trump cards. My oldest daughter and I (who are Swans surpporters) always attend these matches seperate to my wife and other children because things are often said which aren't meant during the footy. Go swans!

Jeffers1984
12th May 2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Dpw
I have seen every WCE game because my wife is a one eyed Eagle. And to be fair the Eagles will most likely have the edge over us because of the home ground advantage and the book makers will reflect this. That said Iam surprisingly up beat about this match, as I believe we have the match up's that will unsettle the Eagles and have our own trump cards. My oldest daughter and I (who are Swans surpporters) always attend these matches seperate to my wife and other children because things are often said which aren't meant during the footy. Go swans!

lol!! Hope you and your daughter have a great time at the footy this weekend Dpw ...Go Swans!

ScottH
13th May 2004, 07:28 AM
4 in, 1 out thanks to the tribunal.

What an idiot, did he think he could blatantly kick someone in the open and get away with it.