PDA

View Full Version : Brett Kirk's Match Report - Round 7

bricon
12th May 2004, 06:48 PM
Round 7

OPTUS Game Review Round 7 vs Richmond

If it's not broken don't fix it...

A common quote that has been heard by most people I'm sure. It has been used from anything from clocks and watches to the fine art of chasing a leather ball around a grassy oval on a cold winter weekend. So basically if we're winning, don't change anything.

Although it could be argued that this is the ideal time to tinker with your game plan, try new things, introduce new strategic plans that haven't been tried before, your players are in form and have confidence in their ability so why not. Although even though it may seem like it's 'broke' it is probably not the best time when you have had consecutive losses as the Swannies have experienced over the last three weeks. The losses have all been within two goals which could indicate to most that we are not far away from putting together a quality four quarter performance. Nothing drastic at this time, we are not in a crisis...yet! However we do have to get back to playing the same style of footy that has proved successful for us and also proved to our biggest critics that we can truly play the game. We are the 'real' deal, we want to be competitive and we work hard during the week to display strong skills and a style of footy that our coach, our supporters and ourselves can be proud of.

It's about being a risk-taker! We need to run the footy more, take those risks, use the corridor, throw caution to the wind and take the opposition on. What has happened is the other 15 clubs in the AFL have done their homework on us, we are now the hunted. They have flooded back, pushed numbers in the middle and made it difficult for us to carry the footy. This creates a stop start football side that chips around the boundary line relying on your foot skills. This however can bring you undone, especially when the conditions are wet, slippery and windy which was the case at the SCG on Sunday. Please don't think I am struggling for excuses, they too had to play in the wet, slippery, windy conditions. They just did it that little bit better.

I spoke in last weeks report about our lack of a contest and our intensity at the ball. This definitely was not the case on the weekend. We did match them in all these areas. We were probably over zealous at times with the ball spilling out to a free Tiger player but we will take that every time. The first quarter was an even bout with both sides kicking five goals, it looked as though the game could blow out to a high scoring affair, who could know that only eight more goals would be scored in the next one and half hours.

As we entered the second term so did the rain clouds, that downpour that had been threatening opened up and turned the game in to an old fashioned slog. The side that was more effective with their disposal would handle these conditions better. We went to half time eight points up and ruing missed chances as we had dominated the first hour.

A statistic that gives an indication on the game is how many times each side was able to get the ball into their 50m arc, we entered 32 times whilst Richmond went in 16 times, why was the margin so narrow then, poor ball use! So statistics are not always right they are just the picture, everyone has their own opinion and interprets them differently. The second half was a scrappy game that we should have won! Richardson coming back from injury kicked seven goals and was probably the difference between the two sides. Again we failed on the final hurdle I hope this does not become a regular occurrence. I think I've said it before but I will say it again for the Sydney Swans to be successful we need everyone contributing we cannot rely on one, five or ten players we need an even performance from the 22 players selected.

One positive out of the game is that we came out injury free and look like having 'Magic' O'Loughlin for the clash over in the west. On our injury front Andrew Schauble and Ben Fixter will resume in the next week or two which is fantastic as both have been out with lingering hamstring injuries. Unfortunately Adam Schniderman will be missing for a month as will Lewis Roberts-Thomson after badly dislocating his thumb.

My predictions have been right on the money in recent weeks so if you want to see an exciting free flowing side that wants to take risks tune in on Saturday as we tackle the West Coast Eagles. Not many sides travel to Perth and win but we are playing for more then pride this week!

"Sooner or later, everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences"
- Robert Louis Stevenson

Cheers Kirky #31

Re-posted from Optusnet newsletter

Go Swannies
12th May 2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks for posting that. It's good to get an insight into the minds of the players. I finished reading it feeling positive - not surprisingly, they have realised what is on the line this weekend. Let's hope he's right and this is the turnaround.

dendol
12th May 2004, 10:32 PM
Yeah, that has given me a breath of fresh air. It would be great to see the free-flowing, hard-running Swans. The forecast is for fine weather leading up to saturday, but late showers on game day.

liz
12th May 2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by bricon

It's about being a risk-taker! We need to run the footy more, take those risks, use the corridor, throw caution to the wind and take the opposition on.

That's the most encouraging part of the report - the fact that they are obviously aware of it. Others have remarked over the past few weeks that it is something the team seems to be doing much less of this season and I fully agree. Recognising it is the first step to fixing it.

bricon
12th May 2004, 10:59 PM
lizz:

Hey, I'm only the message boy!

:)

liz
12th May 2004, 11:32 PM
lizz:

Hey, I'm only the message boy!

:)

Yah - or the poster boy. ;)

DST
13th May 2004, 12:48 AM
They were very encouraging words to read.

Unless we start to take a few risks and run the ball up the middle the other 15 clubs are going to persist with flooding the midfield and trying to force us wide (east prey then for the opposition ruckman as the ball comes in slow and from predictable spots).

Best way to get over that is to take them on and if we are successful then they will be forced to re think their game plan.

One encouraging thing is that Subi is a very large and long ground. Should make it much harder for West Coast to congest half back and the midfield so we should see plenty of space for Tiger, Barry & Co to run into.

But the space works for West Coast as well and their quick midfield, so clearances this week are going to be crucial.

DST
:D

penga
13th May 2004, 10:21 AM
for all those swans supporters who are super sensitive about turnovers shouldnt watch this game... i foresee some major errors, but overall it will be great to watch!

hammo
13th May 2004, 11:46 AM
An enjoyable and encouraging read for Captain as always, however I felt the same way after last week's article.

Actions speak louder than words as they say so let's wait and see what transpires as Subi...

I am quietly confident about this week however.