PDA

View Full Version : Roof puts 70,000 in the shade

j s
15th January 2003, 04:52 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/14/1042520619503.html

Roof puts 70,000 in the shade
By Brigid Delaney
January 15 2003

A new roof will be built on the Olympic stadium at Homebush in time for the Rugby World Cup in October, the stadium's chief executive officer, Ken Edwards, said yesterday.

The roof will be one-third smaller than first planned - covering 70,000 seats in Telstra Stadium and leaving 4000 seats exposed.

"The new design will allow for more sunlight and air movement," Mr Edwards said."It is not a cost-cutting measure."

But, he said, patrons sitting in the open were unlikely to pay less for their tickets.

Agreement over the construction and design of the mainly prefabricated roof - due to be completed by June 30 - was reached after negotiations with Stadium Australia Group and Sydney Olympic Park Authority and building contractors.

j s
15th January 2003, 04:54 PM
It looks like those front row seat behind the goals are going to get wet.

TheMase
15th January 2003, 08:09 PM
Weren't they originally talking about putting a closing roof on the stadium?

I thought that was still the case?

desredandwhite
15th January 2003, 08:13 PM
Probably a fair bit of cost involved with changing it to a closing roof! Doesn't look like it'd be a cheap & easy modification.

Charlie
15th January 2003, 08:29 PM
we cheer squadders put ourselves through such misery... :(
All in the name of the team... ;)

j s
15th January 2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
Weren't they originally talking about putting a closing roof on the stadium?

I thought that was still the case?
What I understood was that it was desgned so that full roof was possible without having to tear it down (ie strong enough etc) but that there was no specific plan for one.

Remember that it rarely gets cold in Sydney (smug grin at melbunites from one who has moved to warmer climes)

vagary
16th January 2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by j s
What I understood was that it was desgned so that full roof was possible without having to tear it down (ie strong enough etc) but that there was no specific plan for one.

Remember that it rarely gets cold in Sydney (smug grin at melbunites from one who has moved to warmer climes)

it may rarely get cold in sydney according to you but the olympic site can be one of the most windiest places in sydney.

Rizzo
17th January 2003, 12:10 PM
I would have frozen my backside off during the V Essendon match if it wasn't for the Irish coffee flask I brought along....

j s
17th January 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Rizzo
I would have frozen my backside off during the V Essendon match if it wasn't for the Irish coffee flask I brought along....
I usually take a flask of hot curry - that really keeps me warm and I can still drive home

swangirl24
17th January 2003, 04:06 PM
Well if it wasn't for hip flasks and the odd ginger wine - I wouldn't be at any matches - in particular night matches

18th January 2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by swangirl24
Well if it wasn't for hip flasks and the odd ginger wine - I wouldn't be at any matches - in particular night matches

heheh go the Stones