PDA

View Full Version : New David Miller Article - 17/3/03

desredandwhite
17th March 2003, 07:01 PM
http://redandwhiteonline.com/content.php?page=features/03/davidm030317.php

Any feedback, suggestions for David can be left here :)

CureTheSane
17th March 2003, 07:22 PM
Essendon so low?
Don't know about that....

You were probably a bit harsh on Kangaroos and Essendon, I consider them powers of the last 10 years, at some stage.

My only suggestion would be to get the names accurate.
When you say North Melbourne and Footscray, you sound out of step with the AFL :)

Benevolent Ert
17th March 2003, 11:30 PM
always enjoy David's articles - and I think one thing is true, Brisbane and the Crows look the front runners, and you can throw a blanket over the rest bacause they could all finish ANYWHERE
Thought he underestimated Essendon a bit - I've still got them top 6, at least one of the top 4 is likely to drop out this year - even if only to 5th, and I do think the Doggies will struggle.
Just one gripe - since when did MARK Stevens end up back at North?

snajik
18th March 2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
My only suggestion would be to get the names accurate.
When you say North Melbourne and Footscray, you sound out of step with the AFL :)

No, I'm deliberately out of step with the corporate intentions of each team. I have a difficulty with sides who no longer claim to come from anywhere. You'll have to humour me with this one I'm afraid. It's just an idiosyncrasy, and wasn't intended to offend anyone, but I do cling to various traditional aspects of the game. I have even been corrected by modern-day Swans fans for yelling out 'Carna Bloods' from the Noble Stand.

And apologies to Ert. Yes, it should be Michael not Mark, but I'm sure you are probably aware of this!

CureTheSane
18th March 2003, 11:18 AM
I wasn't offended.
I just think it's a shame to make a statement like that and taint an otherwise good article.

Also, why not call Sydney South Melbourne?

desredandwhite
18th March 2003, 11:57 AM
Well, the Swans aren't based in south melbourne anymore whereas North are still at Arden St, Dogs still out more or less footscray way. I'll use the name interchangably, personally.

Mike_B
18th March 2003, 01:11 PM
I don't call em North or The Roos...to me they're just The Blue Scum

And I don't use Footscray, Dogs, Western Bulldogs or whatever - they're just the good ole Scraggers.

Skells
18th March 2003, 03:26 PM
The Bulldogs have FFC on the back of their playing shirts and Brisbane have FFCBBC (or something similar) on theirs. I have also heard that awards given out at the bulldogs have Footscray Football Club on them as well. It seems that at least the Bulldogs still refer to themselves as Foostcray.

snajik
18th March 2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Skells
The Bulldogs have FFC on the back of their playing shirts and Brisbane have FFCBBC (or something similar) on theirs. I have also heard that awards given out at the bulldogs have Footscray Football Club on them as well. It seems that at least the Bulldogs still refer to themselves as Foostcray.

.....and the club songs still have the words 'sons of the scray' and 'good old north melbourne' etc. I'm sure that their respective fans still refer to them as North and Footscray. It's only their contemporary administrations looking for some financial potential in a shrinking market that drives this kind of thing. I don't really think that it enhances either side's sense of identity. Still, to each his / her own. There are probably more important things going on in the world at the moment.

Charlie
18th March 2003, 03:56 PM
Western Bulldogs is just a trading name I think. I'm pretty sure Footscray Football Club is still a valid name.