PDA

View Full Version : Roosys mistake

footyhead
18th May 2004, 02:08 AM
I thinks Roosys mistake has been that he took the whole of last year to "see what wev'e got"
When in actual fact it was obvious that we had/have a bunch of very good middle of the road players who together can be pretty good. What we need is another 2-4 STARS!
Becuase we didn't try to get highdraft picks last year, we are a year behind Scheadual.
We need high drft picks, and lots of them. Other wise we will just be standing around watching Saint kilda flogg us for the next 10 years !!!

Go Swannies
18th May 2004, 12:27 PM
Maybe he was thinking that what we've got is enough? I was certainly thinking that during the qualifying final and for the first 3/4 of the preliminary final last year.

Bart
18th May 2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by footyhead
I thinks Roosys mistake has been that he took the whole of last year to "see what wev'e got"
When in actual fact it was obvious that we had/have a bunch of very good middle of the road players who together can be pretty good. What we need is another 2-4 STARS!
Becuase we didn't try to get highdraft picks last year, we are a year behind Scheadual.
We need high drft picks, and lots of them. Other wise we will just be standing around watching Saint kilda flogg us for the next 10 years !!!

How were we going to get high draft picks last year FFS ? We finished third ! Who would you have traded to get those picks, and more importantly which clubs would have been willing to hand over high picks to us in return.

St Kilda have been shocking over the past 5 years hence their high number of decent draft picks. You can't compare the two.

I swear some people would rather us finish bottom year in year out.

Barry Schneider
18th May 2004, 12:53 PM
Roos knows we need a quality midfield or two.Remember last year when many peolple on this board were wondering how to get a KPP Roos said in the media if a gun midfielder became available he would go after him.
The best way to get a player of this quality without giving too much away to his current club is when he is out of contract and threatens to go into the pre season draft if a trade isn't done.
Nick Stevens shows that this thing doesn't always work but I think that pride and personal animosity got in the way of common sense.
All clubs are waiting to see if any of the St Kilda young guns prefer more money to potential premierships when their contracts expire.I'm sure we are too.

footyhead
18th May 2004, 01:35 PM
You guys can say what you like, but if we go down the old familiar road of trying to buy a star or two at the end of this year, I will bet that we will not see a a flag at Sydney during the course of this administration.
And don't give me that crap that we could have done it last year with 2 more wins, or in 96 with 1 win. The fact is we have not done it for 25 years in Sydney and we have not done it for 70 years combined.
Now there is a certain patern of stratergy going on within the Swans as a football club, and it is anathema to what I see happening at successful clubs and all I am saying is that untill those old habits stop, we will get the same also ran almost did it coulda woulda shoulda results we always have !!!!!

Bart
18th May 2004, 02:49 PM
You guys can say what you like, but if we go down the old familiar road of trying to buy a star or two at the end of this year, I will bet that we will not see a a flag at Sydney during the course of this administration.

Any end of season review should look at our current talent and examine our requirements. Then the club should look at the draft AND any uncontracted players to see how best our requirements are going to be met. To only look at one over the other would be completely irresponsible. Everyone likes to throw up the duds we have picked up over the years. Yet our drafting performance hasn't exactly been crash hot either.

Roos has already gone on record as saying that there were no uncontracted players meeting our requirements last year AND that we would look at some next year.

Go Swannies
18th May 2004, 02:54 PM
And don't give me that crap that we could have done it last year with 2 more wins, or in 96 with 1 win. The fact is we have not done it for 25 years in Sydney and we have not done it for 70 years combined.
Now there is a certain patern of stratergy going on within the Swans as a football club, and it is anathema to what I see happening at successful clubs and all I am saying is that untill those old habits stop, we will get the same also ran almost did it coulda woulda shoulda results we always have !!!!!

Well, have the strength of your convictions and hope like hell that we lose to the Hawks, the Doggies, the Aints, Port and particularly the Pies over the next few weeks. It's all downhill to successfully securing last place from there.

But you can't have it both ways. Accept that it's wrong to complain about spectators clapping the team when they lose. They aren't supporting mediocrity - they're just rejoicing in our renewed chance for a better draft pick.

BAM_BAM
18th May 2004, 02:57 PM
is it just me, or are all the threads starting to run into the one?:frown

stellation
18th May 2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM

nope, it isn't just you.

Barry Schneider
18th May 2004, 03:05 PM

Not just you.Perhaps it is just me and you.

Schneidergirl
18th May 2004, 03:08 PM

Def. not just you :)

DST
18th May 2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Well, have the strength of your convictions and hope like hell that we lose to the Hawks, the Doggies, the Aints, Port and particularly the Pies over the next few weeks. It's all downhill to successfully securing last place from there.

But you can't have it both ways. Accept that it's wrong to complain about spectators clapping the team when they lose. They aren't supporting mediocrity - they're just rejoicing in our renewed chance for a better draft pick.

Could not have said it better myself Go Swannies.

I would rather support a team that has pride in the jumper (which our team & club does) by remaining competative rather than support a team such as St Kilda who have plummed the depths in the recent years to bolster their list.

If the club has the right staff in place they will do their homework and come up with genuine players that we can build a club around anywhere in the draft order.

And just think, those young blokes will want to play with us becuase we will be a team that remains committed no mater where we are on the ladder.

DST
:D

Go Swannies
18th May 2004, 03:16 PM

Yes, it's just you. Are you starting to hear the voices again, too?

Go Swannies
18th May 2004, 03:22 PM
Anyway you know the rules Bam Bam - everything else is just a bit of polite foreplay before we start bagging Saddo again. Or Fossie who seems to have signed up recently as our new sacrificial lamb.

footyhead
18th May 2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by DST

If the club has the right staff in place they will do their homework and come up with genuine players that we can build a club around anywhere in the draft order.

And just think, those young blokes will want to play with us becuase we will be a team that remains committed no mater where we are on the ladder.

DST
I think you do not understand the mind set of the modern professional footballer , for whom winning a flag is everything!!!

DST
18th May 2004, 06:43 PM
I think you do not understand the mind set of the modern professional footballer , for whom winning a flag is everything!!!

Go back and read my post, what I was stating is that in our playing group everyone wants to win and to tank games for draft picks is not our way, unlike some other clubs.

Some people on this board seem to think we should tank a couple of seasons to get early picks. I on the other hand want our club to work harder off field by finding capable players anywhere in the draft order and be smarter traders all while the team remains committed to winning at all costs.

Will be much more statisfying to win a premiership built on a team shrewdly picked anywhere in the draft by our hard working footy department than loaded concessional picks year after year.

Just watch the St Kilda supporters cop it if they win it in the next 2 to 3 years about how they got their players.

DST

Thunder Shaker
18th May 2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Bart
Yet our drafting performance hasn't exactly been crash hot either.

Part of the problem is that just about every player drafted with the #1 draft picks we've secured in the last ten years has had to be traded because they didn't want to play in Sydney. Gaspar, Shannon Grant, the list goes on. Had we been able to keep all those players we would have won at least two flags in the last ten years.

We might have got early picks just like anyone else, but the Swans have a harder time than any other club keeping a list together because more players on our list were drafted from outside the home state than any other club. When you've got 25 to 30 players drafted from outside NSW, you can bet a few of them want to 'go home' after their first contract expires.

I still hear Collingwood supporters bemoaning the fact that we picked up Nick Davis for 'only' a second-round draft pick. I say it's about time we were on the receiving end of a good trade involving a homesick player for a change. Let's hope Essendon's Mark McVeigh starts getting homesick too....

dendol
18th May 2004, 09:12 PM
Mark McVeigh? We dont need another outside receiver. Give me Lenny!!!!!

Triple B
18th May 2004, 09:31 PM
Mark McVeigh? We dont need another outside receiver. Give me Lenny!!!!!

Well if Reggi is around, that comment will definately flush him out!

That's assuming you are talking about Lenny Hayes.

NMWBloods
19th May 2004, 12:44 AM
A few people think Lenny Hayes is also an outside receiver, yet he managed nearly as many clearances as Jude Bolton last year. If you can get the ball out of a stoppage, who cares how you do it!!

BAM_BAM
19th May 2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Yes, it's just you. Are you starting to hear the voices again, too?
who said that?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: