PDA

View Full Version : Paul Kelly Book Is Out !!

Cheer Cheer
17th March 2003, 09:12 PM
Well after earlier hearing that there was no word on a Paul Kelly book coming out from the bookshops and from RWO, coinciding with a whisper I heard that there was one coming out, I thought I wouldn't hear anything on the matter of a book coming out for a year or so.
Well today I saw a mate an he said that there was one coming out. After saying that I found out there wasn't one coming out, he insisted he saw an advert for it on the football paper "Inside Football".
So to put the argument to rest we went to the local bookstore and enquired, and heaven behold it is here!
The book is called "Swan Song" and is the story of Paul Kelly from go to woe.
I put mine on order and it should be in my hot little hands within the week :D
The book was supposed to come out in October, but obviously got put back to his retirement, and now it has just been released.
You beauty, must read for not only swans fans but for AFL fans in general.
Do yourself a favour an go get it!!
RRP 29.95

TheHood
18th March 2003, 08:06 AM
You are on FIRE!

(refer to Swan Song thread)

jude_boltons_babe
18th March 2003, 12:12 PM
i wonder what it will be like

Jimmy C
18th March 2003, 03:02 PM
Has he used a writer to assist him? Without trying to sound like I'm picking on him, I imagine a man of few words (such as Kel) would have someone interpreting the awesome tale.

NMWBloods
18th March 2003, 04:18 PM
i wonder what it will be like

Can't imagine it will be in the literature section! :)

Probably light fluff like most of these books.

Cheer Cheer
18th March 2003, 08:32 PM
Light fluff or not tell me you are not as keen as mustard to read it ?

Cheer Cheer
18th March 2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by TheHood
You are on FIRE!

(refer to Swan Song thread)

:eek: Oops, sorry I didnt see that thread, maybe because it basically talked about other things apart from the book which didnt catch my eye.

Grant
31st March 2003, 11:33 AM
WOOHOO,i just got my copy for my birthday today.I have had a quick flick already and it looks like i'm in for some intriguing reading,i'm excited.

swan_song
31st March 2003, 01:39 PM
great name for a book, even if I do say so myself...

desredandwhite
1st April 2003, 11:25 PM
I saw it for the first time while walking to the train on the way home. I paused for a minute and thought - nah.. Money's a bit tight at the moment, better wait till pay day, my inner conscience said.

After thinking about it for about 0.0001 seconds, I beat my inner conscience to a pulp with a crowbar and bought the book.

jude_boltons_babe
2nd April 2003, 12:58 PM
id loved to get the book but dont have any money at the moment can you tell me what it is like please

desredandwhite
2nd April 2003, 01:13 PM
I'm about halfway through it now - even when cleaned-up somewhat by the ghostwriter, it still reads very much like I expect from PK :) Just like he plays the game, it is direct and to-the-point. He doesn't use 10 fancy words when 3 simple ones will do. It's very much like "I did this. And then I did this. We lived here for a while. And then we lived there. This is what happened next.". A bit jarring to read, but a fascinating account of the bad old days anyway :)

Des' verdict - 6/10 (but 10/10 for Swans fans)

ps - contains plenty of great photos, most of them in colour - more than the normal sporting book!

jude_boltons_babe
2nd April 2003, 01:39 PM
thanks des ill try and get it soon

floppinab
1st May 2003, 02:57 PM
SPOILERS, a few things in the book mentioned here so turn away if you don't want to know.

I got this yesterday for a birthday pressie and after a late night have devoured most of it.
Apart from agreeing with most the things already said there are some amazing things in there.

What do you do the day before a Grand Final, the parades all over, you've half a day to play with, well if you're Kell and Plugger................ you go and buy a boat....... the day before the GF!!!!

The amount of injuries the guy has put up with, Everitt and Richardson have missed weeks with fractured cheekbones, Kell got one, they kept it quiet and he played the following week!!!!

Cheer Cheer
1st May 2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by floppinab

The amount of injuries the guy has put up with, Everitt and Richardson have missed weeks with fractured cheekbones, Kell got one, they kept it quiet and he played the following week!!!!

The club kept things quiet, but sometimes even the club didnt know about PK's injuries!! PK hated people fussing about him and he would never tell anyone something was wrong with him, even a really serious problem. On one occasion he went on for months without really telling anyone about an injury.

EMJ
2nd May 2003, 11:20 AM
Like the Icon Paul's book is great - really switched on - makes for great reading and an insight into the club and Paul.
Only need Kelly's signature now in it to make it perfect - very hard to catch up with him.

Cheer Cheer
3rd May 2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by janpa

Only need Kelly's signature now in it to make it perfect - very hard to catch up with him.

Paul had a book signing in melbourne and I was lucky enough to get the book signed :D As well as getting my photo taken with the great man :D :D

robbieando
3rd May 2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
Paul had a book signing in melbourne and I was lucky enough to get the book signed :D As well as getting my photo taken with the great man :D :D

Can I touch you????;) :D

swansrock4eva
3rd May 2003, 07:36 PM
I finished it today and I must say I loved it! It was fantastic going along reading things that I either wasn't aware of (generally club stuff pre '94 - when I joined up), or stuff that I recalled vividly - Plugger vs Caven, Plugger's 1000th, Kel's Brownlow etc etc. As crazy as this sounds, even reading about losing the grand final, AGAIN made me rather teary and upset! It tends to leave some stuff out that isn't essential to Kell's story, but for someone who isn't entirely aware of the dead days of the early 90's etc, it could leave a few questions unanswered.

When my family has finished with it, I will be giving it to my friend who has just started coming to matches (she was converted after one quarter of the Swans v Carlton match this year - her first ever of AFL!), but i will also be giving her my copy of Jim Main's Plugger and the Mighty Swans so that she can get a feel for some of the things Kell was writing about - being so new to the club she doesn't really get a lot of that history, other than what i have tried to explain to her.

Again, i loved the book, and will read it several times at least! And I can't wait to have a chance to get it signed! :)