PDA

View Full Version : Centre Bounce Setup

Mike_B
23rd May 2004, 11:04 PM
I noticed today that we continually played 2 of our 3 men in the centre square ruck contests on the offensive side of the circle. This got me thinking about the setup and how effective it is.

It seems to me that having 2 of our 3 players running backwards to get the ball if there is a palm down doesn't do us any favours, as it means we are either forced to handball to someone running forward, or if the disposal is by foot, it's straight out to centre wing.

If we were to play 2 players on the defensive side, meaning more forward run to meet the ball, the quick kick into an open forward line is probably the easiest option.

I haven't noticed whether we've gone with this setup for most/all of the season so far, and I'm sure the coaching staff have a reason for it, but I'd be curious to know what this reason is, and get your thoughts on the positioning of players at the centre bounce (I am aware of NMW's thread on who to have in there).

NMWBloods
23rd May 2004, 11:08 PM
An option is to play two players behind the ruckman and for the ruckman to attempt to knock it backwards.

Can work quite well if the ruckman is good enough to do this and also can benefit from an opposition ruckman who instinctively punches it forward.

Nico
23rd May 2004, 11:09 PM
Is Ross Lyon our midfield coach? If so how can you expect better. At best he was a below average half forward flanker who got his reputation for standing out of the game for a year.

We get belted out of the centre by 15 other sides and nothing ever seems to change.

footyhead
24th May 2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Nico
Is Ross Lyon our midfield coach? If so how can you expect better. At best he was a below average half forward flanker who got his reputation for standing out of the game for a year.

We get belted out of the centre by 15 other sides and nothing ever seems to change.

Yes, this is very true. Our midfeild is a very very very big worry, and not just the rucking either. Unfortunatley Ross is the first all Roos appointment so he may get more leaway than he should on the current results of his tenure.
The thing is that under Eade, the midfeild was our strong point, with the forward set up being a little too predictable. Under Roos this has reversed.
Unfortunatley premiership teams have both a strong and versatile forward line and midfeild. Until we get them both up and running together, we can froget about beating the top teams.
Based on last years results it may just be a confidance thing (as has been suggested here by others), But I begg to differ, believing as I do that we are missing the drive and mongrel and class of a cressa/kelly set up in there.

Go Swannies
24th May 2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by footyhead

Unfortunatley premiership teams have both a strong and versatile forward line and midfeild. Until we get them both up and running together, we can froget about beating the top teams.

Hang on, we've beaten two teams ahead of us on the ladder and lost to three others. It might be a bit early to forget about winning.

footyhead
24th May 2004, 01:30 AM
Based on those statistics alone it may not be too early to forget about winning, but it would appear too late to think seriously about winning the flag this year.