PDA

View Full Version : Cheersquad - Banner making times...

desredandwhite
18th March 2003, 07:36 PM
Saturday March 22nd 9.30 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.
Friday March 28th 9.30 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.

For more details:

http://redandwhiteonline.com/content.php?page=features/cheer.php

jude_boltons_babe
18th March 2003, 11:24 PM
every weekend i go to banner making des and there is only 4 of us other people dont give a toss

Dean
19th March 2003, 09:45 PM
That is a situation the Manager is actively trying to correct, alot of people would be thrilled to come to banner making but unfortunately it is logistically difficult to let everyone know when and where it occurs. So, with the help of RWO, announcing the dates and times in a location that can be accessed on demand makes letting everyone know, alot more practical.

bomber-princess
20th March 2003, 11:12 AM
regardless of whether or not rwo mentions the times, the times and location of banner making has always been the same. most people only want to turn up if they are assured that the players are going to be there or there is a camera crew. as J&AB said only 4 people turn up every weekend when it is on.
yes you can let people know when and where banner making is on, but people don't turn up, even if they do know. it has always been that way and will continue that way.

desredandwhite
20th March 2003, 03:28 PM
hang on a second Kate & Melanie... Are you saying that we shouldn't bother putting the times up at all? I'm sure there'd be a couple of people who would consider going to help out, but you're not making them feel very welcome at all are you? How about trying to encourage others to go eh? At least with RWO we can make sure the information has a better chance of getting out there.

bomber-princess
20th March 2003, 07:47 PM
Des, i know where you are coming from. But, in all the time that banner making has been happening there has only ever been a handful of people that do turn up.
i am not saying, don't put the times up on rwo. all i am saying is that putting the times up here, swans official website or on fliers at games isn't really working at getting more than the 4 main members of the banner group to attend on a regular basis.
people can be told the times of banner making but, it is up to them to turn up, which they haven't been doing. that is all i am saying on that matter.
we'd gladly welcome new people to turn up to banner making, but there needs to be more than just being told it is on and where it is held to make people go.
the only reason why me and J&AB think that nobody gives a toss is that people just don't turn up, even after they know where it is on and when it happens and then they expect to be able to go out on the ground with the banner, as if they had something to do with putting it together and then they go around calling themselves 'true fans', when all they do is go to the games and nothing else.

Dean
20th March 2003, 08:08 PM
This is completely incorrect, pre-1998 there were dozens of squad members who use to help out with the banner, in fact at one point we had to turn people away. The fact of the matter is, many people DO go to banner making once or twice and then dont come back for whatever reasons.

Also I would like to point out that many other people assist in the operations of the cheersquad outside of bannermaking, such as raffles, fund raising, barbeques, office duties, traveling interstate with equipment to make the support more vocal and visual, etc.

Taking part in the cheersquad has always meant that you have a greater chance of meeting and interacting with the players, this has been the case since this current Cheersquad has existed and has consistantly attempted to achieve. People naturally want to see the players, if that means the odd encounter at bannermaking or during a training session then they'll be happy to do so, bashing on the people who DO go to banner making for these reasons is counter-productive and is against what this cheersquad is all about.

~Dean Marney

JF_Bay22_SCG
20th March 2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Dean
This is completely incorrect, pre-1998 there were dozens of squad members who use to help out with the banner, in fact at one point we had to turn people away. The fact of the matter is, many people DO go to banner making once or twice and then dont come back for whatever reasons.

~Dean Marney

Dean hit things on the head pure and simple. Anyone who is new should be made feel welcome, as it is a pretty big effort to rock up on a Saturday morning to turn up taping letters onto crape on rock hard concrete (or the NSWCA's net area).

But when the same people, or should I say person, starts chuckling constant metals at people, you quickly realise that there are far better things to do with your time. When I went on the day before the Adelaide match in SA to grab as many flags to take on the plane with me, I copped a tirade from said-person about being more retarded than her daughter. Considering I was spending $600+ to travel to Adelaide, and gave a **** enough to actually chuck a sickie from work and bolt out to the ground and grab some flags (so that the team knew there were people there to support them), that is not the sort of attitude that will win the concept of banner-making any friends at all.

We are starting to get a nice little group of fun-loving RWOers together at matches. Anyone who was at the Tiges match at the SCG will know that the singing sounded great (didn't it Micky O!!!!). Hopefully this will start to transcend into a better bigger more vibrant Cheer Squad.

This is the ultimate Catch 22 facing the Cheer Squad in Sydney. The same people are in control of doing things like making the banner, and can actually be quite protective of it. Outsiders are often seen as a threat, as was the case when banner-making was taken over by another person. Hence they get bitched and snapped at.

But if people such as the person I'm referring to do not make the banner, then we have no banner, and are back to square one.

If I had my way I'd get the club into trouble anyway, as I'd use the banner to fire a few broadsides away (aka against Collingwood and their attitude to draft concessions to us and the Brions). Never been a diplomat, never will. My footy club stirrs the emotions up way too much for that!

I choose to support the club in other ways. Like lugging flags in planes, buses and cars to places such as Canberra, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide. (Help very much appreciated!!!) I went through nearly $5k supporting the Swans last year (and subsequently am in debt this year, COL :o( ).

We all support the club in different ways. And due to RWO we are seeing a really fun group of committed yet jovial types come to the fore. More please! The support is needed, and very very welcome!

See you all Saturday!

JF

jude_boltons_babe
20th March 2003, 10:45 PM
ok i go every week we ask people and they dont want to turn up that is plain and simple