PDA

View Full Version : Sydney AFL misses out yet again

Troy G
26th May 2004, 08:18 PM
I notice that the NSWAFL continue to spend lots of money on Auskick/ Junior level footy while the Sydney AFL senior clubs and players continue to look for two coins to rub together.

The latest development is the opening of the Alan Davidson Oval near Newtown. It has, what is for Sydney, state of the art clubhouse facilities and the oval itself has great lighting and car park.

Meanwhile the SydneyAFL clubs at senior level continue to struggle cap in hand as they have done for years now, while little kids run around on great grounds with great facilities not knowing how well they've got it.

And who'd blame these kids for changing codes when they become teenagers, there's nothing attractive AFL wise for them to go to here when they reach high school. Their friends won't be playing Aussie Rules.

Look out when Soccer gets its act together soon and has just the one Sydney team, you can bet the age levels directly below it will be well developed and financed. But hey, I'm just a voice in the wilderness!

j s
26th May 2004, 10:41 PM
You may be right about the inner city junior clubs Troy but I can assure you that in 13 years of involvement in junior footy I have seen precious little funding assistance.

The impression I get is that the funding mostly goes to the Rams and the elite development squads. NSWAFL desperately wants more Sydney players drafted to AFL teams.

weapon
26th May 2004, 11:25 PM
What other league in the world asks supporters to download the footy record from the website?

The SFL hasn't even got the $ to produce a decent record yet we hear from the AFL how seriously committed they are to developing footy in NSW. I think all clubs in the SFL would agree there doesn't seem to be much encouragement for them from administrators, financially anyway. It's a pity.:(

shearer
27th May 2004, 09:19 AM
I agree whole heartedly with all the above opinions.

Last week Campbelltown had to forfeit reserve grade, no team in the 3 grades have won a game and they are getting pumped every week.

How with an area like that they cannot field 3 sides is beyond me. I dont understand the circumstances but i dare say all the money goes into Auskick out there and bugger all assistance goes to the senior club so they can develop there juniors.

Ive had many past players come to games this year and the first thing they laugh at is "The Record". Its round 7 and every week you pick it up and shake your head. Junior organisations do better.

Paul Roos wrote an article only last week saying how the AFL was spending $5 million on development, yet if he saw how Sydney AFL clubs are struggling he would be asking where does that money go.

when kids finish junior footy at age 16 and they then decide if they go on they go to a senior club, either SFL or SFA. But the main problem is the 18's comp is one big comp. Kids in those lower sides are getting beat by 150 nearly every week by stronger clubs, they then get disenchanted and by seasons end quit the game.

The 18's should be split into two comps..that way there is even competition in both comps and the kids are playing in games that they genuinely believe they can be competitive and win.

The SFL will not be around in a few years unless the AFL puts money into helping Senior clubs facilities, equipment, umpires etc.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that clubs have to pay for umpires and not the AFL. If that is the case then the umpires should be coached by the clubs and made accountable to the clubs. If the AFL wants to run them then they should pay for them.

floppinab
27th May 2004, 05:10 PM
Troy,

I know where you are coming from but I want to mention that it is South Sydney council that have spent all the moulah in upgrading Alan Davison, not a cracker from NSWAFL, and their main motivation was for cricket not Junior Footy.

That said I've been out there a few times this year and it is a great facility for the Junior Club there and the City Association in general who use it for reps and other games.

As for NSWAFL I can't agree more with comments here so far. For kids 14 and up competition is uneven and organisation generally poor (the Northside Association being an exception). There needs to be a lot better organisation and support to keep kids playing at these levels and not just the heavy focus on the elite squads.

As for Sydney AFL, definately gone backwards the last few years in competition evenness and standard.

GoBloods
27th May 2004, 06:10 PM
what has happened at campbelltown ? they use to be a powerful club in the sfl from the 80s to the mid 90's. the thought of campbelltown forfeiting reserve grade is scary, they cant be that short of players

Norris Lurker
27th May 2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by GoBloods
what has happened at campbelltown ? they use to be a powerful club in the sfl from the 80s to the mid 90's. the thought of campbelltown forfeiting reserve grade is scary, they cant be that short of players Campbelltown made the finals last year, and plenty of last year's team are still there. I'm not sure why they've gone downhill so quickly, but they've been a great club with a proud history - and not being able to field a reserves team is tragic. In my travels around the comp this year as RWO reporter I'm hoping to visit every team during the season - I'm yet to make it down to Campbelltown this year, but hopefully a turnaround for them isn't too far away.
And I agree about the Footy Record - it's sad for Sydney footy that it couldn't still be produced in its previous form. Kevin Taylor's article in the Round 2 issue about football historians and their use of the Record was fascinating, but sadly the historians of the future will notice the change in the Record this year.

Sid
28th May 2004, 01:28 AM
About the 18s comp, there were 2 divisions in the year that i played. Division 1 had 8 teams and division 2 had 5 teams. I played in division 2 for UNSW in 2000 and we won that year and were moved up to the first division. 2 years followed where our team got like 2nd last in 2001 and wooden spooners in 2002.

Although 2nd division was pretty poor, with bankstown pulling out at the start of 2000, i think it allowed a good comp in 1st division. The problem with U18s is that when they are too old to play for the team, they quit altogether, and sometimes u just dont get new players. Theres actually not many that continue to play in the opens.

As Barrassi said, we need a century for AFL to take over. I have come to accept that AFL is just not big enough in Sydney and am willing to wait for the kids to grow up and boost the comp.

As for umpiring, they send out letters to everyone thats stopped playing past the U18s urging them to become an umpire. Thats how desperate they are.

Rafters
28th May 2004, 02:05 PM
Having moved up to Cairns last year, it is really surprising to hear these things.

Re: footy record - up here each club gets a page each week to write a report. Eg last week's game, upcoming functions, game milestones etc. Also acts as an advert for visitors in the area as each club has their contact details & training info. However I notice that individual clubs struggle to update their own websites so this may be a struggle as well. (On the subject of websites, I actually applaud the constant updates that NSWAFL do for their website ... it is good to find out results on the weekend when you are afar.)

re: Campbelltown - sad to hear of their demise after many a fond battle with them ... but it makes you appreciate the efforts of people such as Bob Prenter (RIP), the McLauglins, the Noacks, the Mathesons, etc over the years that made them such a great club in 80s & 90s. Of more concern is their current last place in the admin award as good admin generally equates to good footy down the line. I am sure that the downturn is only short-term & they will bounce back in future years. Remember that someone always has to come last.

re: football funding - the league up here were very fortunate enough to be forward thinking & buy land as well as build licneced premises for several clubs. The then VFL under the leadership of Allen Aylett was also very supportive. The result is a thriving league, with excellent playing facilities (as those of you Masters will find out in October). Unfortunately with the high price of land in Sydney, it is simply unaffordable for ye down there ... even the Swans don't have their very own clubhouse. Might be an idea for the NSWAFL, AFL & Swans to consider combining funding for a club house ... I feel that it is the main way to help secure the long term future.

Another funding alternative may involve the issuing of debentures. All AFL followers in Sydney could put their money where their mouth is & contribute the appropriate equity for a deposit for such a clubhouse. It would then be up to the clubs to support the licenced facility by holding functions there from time to time. If ethnic communities can rally their cash together & create their own licenced premises then I am certain that SYDNEY AFL can as well.

Its just my opinion. Up to ye to try & find the solutions & not just the NSWAFL.

shearer
28th May 2004, 02:55 PM
Rafters, after going on a few footy trips to Cairns i can certainly say that the facilities at Cazalys are sensational.

It was tempting to stay up there and play a bit of footy

Rafters
31st May 2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by shearer
Rafters, after going on a few footy trips to Cairns i can certainly say that the facilities at Cazalys are sensational.

It was tempting to stay up there and play a bit of footy

Cazalys is definitely a great venue ... especially playing on Friday nights in front of a good crowd. The best playing surface I have ever walked on. Greg Chappell considered it of equal quality to Adelaide Oval.

For those Masters players, you will definietly enjoy this year's tournament up here.

Sid
3rd June 2004, 01:27 AM
Round 7 - U18 - SFL

Campbelltown 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 (0)
East Coast Eagles 7.2 14.7 24.10 31.16 (202)

Holroyd-Parramatta 1.0 1.0 1.0 2.0 (12)
Riverview 6.7 10.18 17.20 23.28 (166)

Southern Sharks 1.0 0.0 0.0 2.0 (12)
Redbacks 4.4 7.11 8.17 18.21 (129)

Thats disappointing. It seems that when a team in the top half plays a team in the bottom half, its a slaughter. I've played in both winning and losing teams of these types of games, only good thing is u still get exercise.