PDA

View Full Version : Kelly adjusts to new role

SWANSBEST
20th March 2003, 03:31 PM
Kelly adjusts to new role
11:40:41 AM Thu 20 March, 2003
Karen Collins
afl.com.au

The changing of the Sydney guard will be complete next week when former captain Paul Kelly runs on the field in a different guernsey against Carlton.

He will don the bright yellow shirt of the team runner rather than the red-and-white of seasons gone and will carry messages rather than a football, as he completes the transition from playing roster to coaching staff.

New captain, Stuart Maxfield, confesses it was a little weird to see his friend and long-time former teammate not running out with the team.

?It especially hits you more times than others when you run onto the track and you realise those older experience guys are not there, especially ?Kells? who has been such a great leader of the club and inspiration player,? Maxfield said.

?Yeah it does seem a bit strange at times to see him running the messages out.

?At times he might find himself a bit lost out there [running the messages out] and then might want to get a bit more involved than what he should be but I think he is really enjoying the role.

Kelly admits he found it a little different initially but that his new role kept him too busy to think about not playing.

?The first time was a strange feeling but I have got a lot to think about [as a runner] so my mind is on that [rather than thinking of not playing],? Kelly said.

The 234-game veteran has made 2003 a trial for any future involvement he may have in football.

?I am using this year to test the water as such and to get a feel for it. It should help me work out if I want more or less involvement.?

Maxfield admits to speaking with Kelly about the captaincy once the decision was made in early February.

?Obviously being close friends with Paul he certainly offered if I ever want some advice he?s more than happy to help me out in that department, but at the end of the day I just have to be myself.

?Captain Courageous? considers that a wise choice and the captaincy choice a perfect fit.

?He is the ideal choice, given he has been around the club for a while and gives his football everything. He has a great work ethic, leads by example and I think he will make an excellent captain.?

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=79761